Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: mick taylor did a good job on tour
Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 22, 2013 00:11

duffydawg wrote: "RS w MT = Greatest Rock N Roll Band of All Time. RS w/o MT is not as good..."

With respect, i'm tired of this clishe... Judging from the clips i have seen, the band did overall excellent job, with or without MT. Of course, a third guitar always adds something. The same happens when third guitarist is Clark Jr, Clapton or Mayer. MT had to focus his energy on just 2 or 3 numbers, not 20 or 23. He sometimes was great, sometimes was hiting low notes during the soloing or he sounded a bit hesitant for a few seconds. No big deal anyway, i think MT did good job in general. But, once again, he was not a "guitar Messiah". In other words: His contribution to the whole band's sound doesn't tie with 1969- 73. Simple as that.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 22, 2013 11:25

laertisflash

In other words: His contribution to the whole band's sound doesn't tie with 1969- 73. Simple as that.

Agreed, and neither did the rest of band. Sad, isn't it ?

Date: July 22, 2013 12:05

Why is it sad? No one can expect a bunch of 70 year olds to be as vital and energetic as they were in their youth.

They still put on a good show. Good enough to be awarded as best live act at the NME awards.

The alternative is worse. I'd say it's impressive what they have accomplished, regarding the circumstances.

Posted by: KalleBlom ()
Date: July 22, 2013 12:25

Why they let him play only one song? He did really a good job, but why they didnt let him to do more?

Love hurts - when you know what I mean

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 22, 2013 12:29

KalleBlom
Why they let him play only one song? He did really a good job, but why they didnt let him to do more?

Well, there is one particular thread dedicated to discuss that issue, among other things...

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 22, 2013 12:37

DandelionPowderman
Why is it sad? No one can expect a bunch of 70 year olds to be as vital and energetic as they were in their youth.

They still put on a good show. Good enough to be awarded as best live act at the NME awards.

The alternative is worse. I'd say it's impressive what they have accomplished, regarding the circumstances.

Maybe it is sad, if one really has put the criteria so high that nothing less than how they sounded like in the early 70's is good enough.

But I agree with that they all put a nice show, taken their age factor. As for Taylor, I am afraid that some people sounded like having a way too high criterion or expectations for him, if they were waiting some kind of "guitar Messiah" to return (or actually arrive, since he wasn't that in 1969-73 either).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-22 12:39 by Doxa.

Date: July 22, 2013 13:44

DandelionPowderman

There's nothing sad about it actually, it's merely funny seeing 70 years old musicians trying to be and sound like that brillant rebelling band they ever were. My remark was meant to be a bit ironic, certainly not bashing or whatever. I try to listen to these Rolling Stones with my headphones on and my eyes closed, and after a while open them again, and let my musical heart speak.

And than I come to the conclusion (and I agree with you) they put down`a damn good show, not be mixed up with playing good music though, cause imo that was many years ago.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 22, 2013 13:52

Sad? I don't see anything sad around... Contrary to what svt22 wrote, i see a band doing excellent job, still having energy, good "team spirit" and nice live- rock "feeling". I think thanks to these three elements the Stones have been so attractive live act.

In my opinion, their gigs are still reaching high standards, not "for 70 years old mucisians" only. Their standard is high, itself, in a self - existence way. They're not young musicians, of course. They are not playing like they did when their veins were including more cocaine than blood (and if someone believes that everything about their performing was perfect then, he should count the "bum notes" from 1978 tour...). But they have experience and the wisdom they need, in order that put on a damn good concert.

So, i'm no nostalgic. Not at all. And, as for Taylor's playing, i'm just saying that it's spacific weight on the band is clearly lower, now, compared to 1969- 73. This doesn't mean that MT has lost his talent and his technical abilities, of course. But, hey, some things is matter of timing and "chemistry". In 1969 -73 MT was band's driving force. But since 1975 the band got used to be based on Keith -Ronnie collaboration, with it's "ups" and "downs". MT couldn't be today a "driving force", in a band that performs for almost 40 years, without him.

IMHO, on this tour the guitar "MVP", so far, is Ronnie.

Date: July 22, 2013 14:04

deleted.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 22, 2013 14:21

laertisflash
Sad? I don't see anything sad around... Contrary to what svt22 wrote, i see a band doing excellent job, still having energy, good "team spirit" and nice live- rock "feeling". I think thanks to these three elements the Stones have been so attractive live act.

In my opinion, their gigs are still reaching high standards, not "for 70 years old mucisians" only. Their standard is high, itself, in a self - existence way. They're not young musicians, of course. They are not playing like they did when their veins were including more cocaine than blood (and if someone believes that everything about their performing was perfect then, he should count the "bum notes" from 1978 tour...). But they have experience and the wisdom they need, in order that put on a damn good concert.

So, i'm no nostalgic. Not at all. And, as for Taylor's playing, i'm just saying that it's spacific weight on the band is clearly lower, now, compared to 1969- 73. This doesn't mean that MT has lost his talent and his technical abilities, of course. But, hey, some things is matter of timing and "chemistry". In 1969 -73 MT was band's driving force. But since 1975 the band got used to be based on Keith -Ronnie collaboration, with it's "ups" and "downs". MT couldn't be today a "driving force", in a band that performs for almost 40 years, without him.

IMHO, on this tour the guitar "MVP", so far, is Ronnie.

An interesting post.

Written too fast on borrowed time:
However, my impression is that there was not one sole driving force, but rather a multi-dimensional axis that was it during this period.
1) The relation Mick Jagger - Keith Richards (always the most important one)
2) The relation Keith Richards - Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman
3) The relation Mick Taylor - Keith Richards.

One difference between now and then: Whereas the good feeling still is present in their music, what is different was that then their music was "larger than life". Now that is played as pop music. Great pop music as such!

Those that could experience what they were, will miss what they were, but ought to appreciate the possibility still to meet the same feeling, although more on the surface of songs, as pop music. However, will always now these days probably prefer to hear lesser known songs that have not been played as much, during concerts as much as possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-22 14:25 by Witness.

Date: July 22, 2013 16:28

Witness

One difference between now and then: Whereas the good feeling still is present in their music, what is different was that then their music was "larger than life". Now that is played as pop music. Great pop music as such!

That's a very smart and polite PR talk to sell the Rolling Stones "let's make money while we can" scenario to me. Makes me think...

"Guys whatever you do, don't try and grow old gracefully, It wouldn't suite you". I think Pete Townshend had a point there in 1989.

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: July 22, 2013 17:29

This is an honest question about different types of guitar playing.

Please explain the difference between Clark Jrs' or John Mayer's style of playing with the Stones vs MT's. I think MT is a wonderful guitarist, but when Mayer or Clark played I thought they rocked harder as a group whereas when MT played it was more about his skills as a soloist. (Which is perfectly ok, he has much talent.)

I thought that sometimes the 3 guitars sounded overall sounded a little muddier, for lack of a better word, when MT played with them but wasn't soloing. (That's only my opinion and not something to argue about.)

I'm really curious about the differences in the guitar playing styles. Thanks.

Date: July 22, 2013 23:56

Clark is old school, but with some really fresh ideas. Mayer is more the SRV-type, although his sound is different, and not very compatible with the Stones imo.

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: July 23, 2013 00:26

DandelionPowderman
Clark is old school, but with some really fresh ideas. Mayer is more the SRV-type, although his sound is different, and not very compatible with the Stones imo.

Thanks. Is MT more old school then?

Posted by: fender99 ()
Date: July 23, 2013 01:45

What would really be sad is not to see them play at all. I saw them Newark #1 and DC. Midnight Rambler by far was the best song in DC. They seemed ready to bolt to the airport that whole show.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 23, 2013 02:42

any idea what mick t was paid on the tour?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 23, 2013 07:12

No. How much are YOU paid?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 23, 2013 11:59

I think Taylor did a very bad job, mainly by being terribly unrehearsed and sounding just plain bad. That's the two things he could have improved himself. Age and all that is just there to accept, thats nothing you can do about.

Mathijs

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 23, 2013 12:05

Mathijs
I think Taylor did a very bad job, mainly by being terribly unrehearsed and sounding just plain bad. That's the two things he could have improved himself. Age and all that is just there to accept, thats nothing you can do about.

Mathijs

I cringed at his performance in Oakland. He is very talented but didn't have it together.

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: July 23, 2013 18:38

I was at Oakland show and thought MT was great! MR was the highlight of the show for me.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 23, 2013 19:52

Rambler was also the highlight for me, all 3 concerts I saw. Not to overlook the performance of the others, but Mick T. took it to a level where I believe many of us wanted to go. Thanks to him and all The Stones for a great tour. Hopefully there will be a continuation in October/Novemeber.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 23, 2013 22:28

He was good but not at his best.
In my opinion also his 2012 tour with his band wasn't brilliant.
Anyway I think that his best tracks in this tour are:

. Midnight Rambler: from Hyde Park2 and from Prudential Center (One more Shoot) that was similiar to some versions of 1973

. Sway from 2013-05-20 Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 24, 2013 00:12

Most exciting moments of the Stones onstage since...since Mick Taylor left the band.

Date: July 24, 2013 00:22

pepganzo

. Midnight Rambler: from Hyde Park2 and from Prudential Center (One more Shoot) that was similiar to some versions of 1973

[www.youtube.com]

Unbelievable Jagger doesn't let Taylor finish his solo.

Date: July 24, 2013 00:27

One really can't say that every contribution of MT has been a highlight.
Must be though coming on stage with your fingers stuck and immediately get "the flow" every time.
But MR on the 7th at HP was brilliant, fantanstic and georgious too.
Maybe they just checked his fitness during the US-part and, due to the lack of rehearsal-time, integrate him more on the europe-concerts.

if so, I would'nt mind him joining on:
love in vain
winter
SFM
JJF
Gimme S
Brown S
TWfNooooo One
and of course, to revive this poor good old Vegas-Victim:
Sympathy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave Satisf to Keith, no prob. 3 chords, one assholeeye rolling smiley no fear he will destroy that one

Date: July 24, 2013 00:32

stonesrule
No. How much are YOU paid?

good comeback , shows a ton of thought and emotion

Date: July 24, 2013 00:58

TimeWaitsforNooooOne
One really can't say that every contribution of MT has been a highlight.
Must be though coming on stage with your fingers stuck and immediately get "the flow" every time.
But MR on the 7th at HP was brilliant, fantanstic and georgious too.
Maybe they just checked his fitness during the US-part and, due to the lack of rehearsal-time, integrate him more on the europe-concerts.

if so, I would'nt mind him joining on:
love in vain
winter
SFM
JJF
Gimme S
Brown S
TWfNooooo One
and of course, to revive this poor good old Vegas-Victim:
Sympathy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave Satisf to Keith, no prob. 3 chords, one assholeeye rolling smiley no fear he will destroy that one

If Taylor is in good playing shape, what does that leave for Ron Wood on these Taylor era songs ? On Sway, posted by pepganzo, Wood ain't got a clue. He has to play the chords on slide, cause that part is the spine of the song, but he doesn't. If you give that slide to Taylor, Wood is out of his job. That looks a bit silly to the audience I think.

Posted by: Blackdog ()
Date: July 24, 2013 01:54

71Tele
Most exciting moments of the Stones onstage since...since Mick Taylor left the band.

thumbs up

Date: July 24, 2013 01:56

smileys with beer
Blackdog
71Tele

thumbs up

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 24, 2013 13:14

svt22
pepganzo

[www.youtube.com]

Unbelievable Jagger doesn't let Taylor finish his solo.

Yes, unbelievable.
I also love this live version with Carla Olson, where there is a very good solo.
[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1607
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home