Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT - Rolling Stone Magazine, WTF is wrong with you???
Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: July 18, 2013 12:14

71Tele
It's a news story. Time Magazine put @#$%& on the cover because he was newsworthy, not because they endorsed Nazi ideas. People should get a grip.

thumbs up

People should read the story and judge the cover after that, here in Europe it's hard to understand that because someone is on the cover of a magazine, he/she should be automatically considered as a star or hero, I don't really understand that kind of thinking...

Date: July 18, 2013 12:16

latebloomer
It isn't just that they put a terrorist on the cover, it is that they used a very attractive photograph of a terrorist. Maybe we shouldn't react so viscerally to the image, but if the image were more muted or less attractive, I don't think people would be as upset by it. It does seem to convey rock star status.

Attractive photograph???

Just a usual photograph of a teenager.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: July 18, 2013 12:17

Looks like Americans are a bit like children, they just look at the pictures when they read a book, ... actually just at the cover picture.

Date: July 18, 2013 12:20

treaclefingers
Of course they're free to do it...it's just in poor taste, and at first glance looks as though they're glorifying it.

Why don't they put the survivors on the cover instead? Just a bad decision and even if everyone isn't pissed off I think enough people are that it will impact them.

I don't think I need to buy Rolling Stone to get the goods on the terrorist bombers.

IMO there is nothing glorifying in that picture but I live in Europe so I don't really understand the American glorifying culture.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: July 18, 2013 12:44

They did have Tricky Dicky on the cover. He was responsible for the death of far more many human beings.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 18, 2013 18:00

Does the name "Tricky Dicky" refer to Richard Nixon? To Dick Cheney maybe? Or to someone else?

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: July 18, 2013 18:13

LongBeachArena72
calm down, everyone:

[www.rollingstone.com]

the subtitle of this cover story is:

"how a popular, promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical islam and became a monster."

the magazine may no longer be relevant, but that's an appropriate—and, I daresay, interesting—story to report.

The cover's headline makes this bastard look like a victim; 4 people were murdered by this thug- actually 5- he did us all a favor by running over and killing his brother- known in Boston as Speedbump- Numerous others lost limbs and were severely injured. changing their lives and the lives of their loved one forever. Poor kid had to go to a community school instead of a private one! Poor baby! He suffered in the US because he had to take classes in English! he government supported his family with welfare and his mother was caught shoplifting. He should be tried as a terrorist in a military tribunal; then executed by hanging on Boston Common. RS has become more and more irrelevant. This was a desperate attempt to garner attention. The editors explanation for why they put sh&theads face on the cover is total BS. Perhaps if some of their family members suffered as the victims in Boston, they would have had more sensitivity to the issue. Do we have free press? Yes. with that comes responsibility. RS crossed the line and have lost another reader. I have been back to Boston, visited the memorial and businesses on Boylston street. The city has moved on and will continue to be an important, vibrant, historic city in the US and the world.
Boston Strong!

Date: July 18, 2013 18:14

beepee2
Looks like Americans are a bit like children, they just look at the pictures when they read a book, ... actually just at the cover picture.

An idiotic post from a simpleton who knows nothing about Americans.

Date: July 18, 2013 18:16

Here is the letter I wrote to RS. I am sure they will not reply:
To the editors: Your explanation about the cover story of a terrorist and gutless murderer is pure unadulterated bullshit. Your headline paints this piece of crap as a victim. You say your hearts go out to the victims? Believe it or not there are readers with a reading level above that of a second grader who know bullshit when they read it. He's not a kid; he is old enough to know the difference between right and wrong. This is your idea of entertainment ?
Stores in Massachusetts have taken it off the shelves.

I have only bought your magazine sporadically in the past few years. It has lost the aura it once had and is no nothing more than an adult version of "Teen" magazine. A liberal rag that serves as a poor substitute for toilet paper. Shame on you. You and your fellow editors should go to Boston and, on the steps of the State House, encourage Bostonians to come and listen to your nonsense. But who am I kidding- you don’t have the balls to do that; you just have the audacity and insensitivity to glorify a terrorist who killed kids pre-meditatively.
I hope you'll be there covering his execution. I am sure you will be condemning it as an act of barbarism.
______ you, ______ your editors and ______ your entire staff. May you experience the same physical and emotional suffering the victims of the bombings and their families have endured and will continue the rest of their lives. I hope I have made myself and the feeling of millions of Bostonians and Americans clear. If not then please advise. Perhaps you’ll respond to me; my feeling is you will not. You will continue to slowly fade away into a state of irrelevance ignoring the warning signs that your magazine has deteriorated from a cutting edge iconic publication to a third rate rag.
Regards,
Steve R

Date: July 18, 2013 18:18

terraplane
They did have Tricky Dicky on the cover. He was responsible for the death of far more many human beings.

They put Obama on the cover too... he has been responsible for many deaths, phone taping of over 200 million people, and using the IRS to bully his opponents, just to name a few of his crimes.

Date: July 18, 2013 18:20

steverogan

The cover's headline makes this bastard look like a victim;

yawning smileyyawning smileyyawning smiley

Yes you're so right, i witnessed that, the moment people see that cover, they all instantly go: "omg, he's a victim, he's never killed anybody, he shouldn't be tried !".

Date: July 18, 2013 18:21

The other day, one of my mate saw @#$%& on a book... he instantly forgot everything he knew and became neonazi all of a sudden by seeing that image. Scary.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 18, 2013 18:22

steverogan
terraplane

They put Obama on the cover too... he has been responsible for many deaths, phone taping of over 200 million people, and using the IRS to bully his opponents, just to name a few of his crimes.

OK, Obama didn't "use" the IRS to bully opponents (at least not knowingly). The IRS used the same tactics with left-wing groups when they applied for tax-exempt status, you just don't hear Fox News screaming and yelling about it. As for the phone "taping" (as you call it) he did continue the Bush practices, sadly.

Date: July 18, 2013 18:26

beepee2
steverogan

The cover's headline makes this bastard look like a victim;

yawning smileyyawning smileyyawning smiley

Yes you're so right, i witnessed that, the moment people see that cover, they all instantly go: "omg, he's a victim, he's never killed anybody, he shouldn't be tried !".

Did you actually read the entire headline? It says he was a "promising student who was failed by his family"- that implies he was a victim of his family and not mature nor intelligent enough to make his own decisions.... I guess it is too difficult for a simple minded person such as yourself to actually have a level of comprehension high enough to understand it.

steverogan
Your headline paints this piece of crap as a victim.

RS
How a popular, Promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam and became a Monster.

That's what I said.... you don't read the text...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()

It is easy to understand why some people here, who have consistantly expressed their hatred for America, want to make fun of this story, it is what they do, and they are best ignored. They are trolling for reaction/comments.

As far as Rolling Stone magazine, this was their last gasp.... hereafter they are like "World News" or "National Enquirer" printing crap like this simply to get attention. In the future we will know what to expect from them and not be outraged when they do what trolls do.... simply trolling for a reaction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-18 18:30 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 18, 2013 18:30

rollingon
treaclefingers
Of course they're free to do it...it's just in poor taste, and at first glance looks as though they're glorifying it.

Why don't they put the survivors on the cover instead? Just a bad decision and even if everyone isn't pissed off I think enough people are that it will impact them.

I don't think I need to buy Rolling Stone to get the goods on the terrorist bombers.

IMO there is nothing glorifying in that picture but I live in Europe so I don't really understand the American glorifying culture.

then why bother commenting if you admit you don't understand?

Date: July 18, 2013 18:33

and in the news....

[t.entertainment.ca.msn.com]

Stars outraged by Rolling Stone's Boston bomber cover
6 hours ago | By www.wenn.com

Punk rockers the Dropkick Murphys and reality TV star Kelly Osbourne have taken aim at editors of Rolling Stone magazine for turning the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings into their new cover star.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 17, remains in custody, charged with 30 counts following his alleged involvement in planting two pressure cooker explosives near the finish line of the annual race in Massachusetts on 15 April (13).

The teen, who has pleaded not guilty to the crimes, has become the focus of the music bible's new cover story, which features the headline: "The Bomber: How a popular, promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam and became a monster".

The image has sparked outrage online and the stars of the Dropkick Murphys, who have been raising money for victims of the blasts, were among those who expressed their disdain via Twitter.com.

A post on their social networking blog on Wednesday morning (17Jul13) reads: "Rolling Stone you should be ashamed. How about one of the courageous victims on your cover instead of this loser scum bag!"

Osbourne has also commented on the controversy, tweeting, "Shame on you @RollingStone for glorifying a monster! incase you failed to realize #TheBostonBomber is a murderer not a band & has no place being on the cover of @RollingStone", while pop star Pink made her feelings clear by sharing radio presenter Ted Stryker's message, which reads: "Horrible, classless, stupid choice Rolling Stone. It's not smart or edgy. Very disappointed."

Three people were killed and another 264 were injured in the April tragedy. Tsarnaev was arrested days after the blasts following a massive manhunt, which resulted in the death of his older brother Tamerlan, who was killed in a shoot-out with police.

Copyright (c) WENN 2013, All Rights Reserved.

Date: July 18, 2013 18:34

Max'sKansasCity
It is easy to understand why some people here, who have consistantly expressed their hatred for America, want to make fun of this story, it is what they do, and they are best ignored. They are trolling for reaction/comments.

As far as Rolling Stone magazine, this was their last gasp.... hereafter they are like "World News" or "National Enquirer" printing crap like this simply to get attention. In the future we will know what to expect from them and not be outraged when they do what trolls do.... simply trolling for a reaction.
Amazing how countries hate America until they need money, food, or military help. Is the USA the greatest country in the world? As an American I don't know; I have only been to Canada, Holland and England. I loved Holland and England and preferred many of their cultural beliefs and lifestyle to that of America. I do know that we Americans would be in a better economic state if we stopped giving aid in the billions to other countries and focused on our own.

Date: July 18, 2013 18:35

Meanwhile in other "rag mags" like Rolling Stone......

[www.nationalenquirer.com]
LOVE STARVED TOM CRUISE-ING FOR NEW GF

Young hotties NOT lining up for aging TOMMY SCIENTOLO like they used to. ALL THE DEETS!

---------------------------------------

[weeklyworldnews.com]
ELEVENTH COMMANDMENT FOUND ON MOUNT SINAI!

An archaeologist has found a portion of a stone table engraved 3,000 years ago with an eleventh Commandment!

Date: July 18, 2013 18:36

beepee2
steverogan
Your headline paints this piece of crap as a victim.

RS
How a popular, Promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam and became a Monster.

That's what I said.... you don't read the text...
I read your text. I interpreted the tone as sarcastic. Unfortunately tone and vocal inflection cannot be clearly defined in the written form. If misinterpreted your message, then I apologize.

Date: July 18, 2013 18:36

In other words, Rolling Stone magazine has finally lost all credibilty, it is simply a sensationalist, piece of crap, gossip rag which will do anything for to move product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-18 18:39 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: July 18, 2013 18:37

steverogan
71Tele
steverogan
terraplane

OK, Obama didn't "use" the IRS to bully opponents (at least not knowingly). The IRS used the same tactics with left-wing groups when they applied for tax-exempt status, you just don't hear Fox News screaming and yelling about it. As for the phone "taping" (as you call it) he did continue the Bush practices, sadly.

People still blame Bush- Barry O has been POTUS for over 5 years but it is still Bush's fault. When will people hold Barry responsible? He even lied about the attack at the US embassy in Benghazi,and gets away with it. I guess that is Bush's fault too.

I have found that it is a waste of time to argue with people who reflexively spit out Fox News talking points.

Date: July 18, 2013 18:38

steverogan
I do know that we Americans would be in a better economic state if we stopped giving aid in the billions to other countries and focused on our own.

Well, I guess that's exactly what half the Middle East, the whole South America, Iran, and a few others want... you to stop mingling and plotting with their own affairs.

Date: July 18, 2013 18:40

71Tele
steverogan
71Tele
steverogan
terraplane

People still blame Bush- Barry O has been POTUS for over 5 years but it is still Bush's fault. When will people hold Barry responsible? He even lied about the attack at the US embassy in Benghazi,and gets away with it. I guess that is Bush's fault too.

I have found that it is a waste of time to argue with people who reflexively spit out Fox News talking points.

It is a waste of time, but it isn't without entertainment value.

Date: July 18, 2013 18:43

treaclefingers
71Tele
steverogan
71Tele
steverogan
terraplane

You obviously prefer the agenda of NBC and its POV.

Date: July 18, 2013 18:45

treaclefingers
rollingon
treaclefingers

Because it is so odd to me that just because someone is on the cover would make him/her a glorified person, I don't think myself if I see someone on the cover of some magazine that the magazine is trying to glorify that person.

Date: July 18, 2013 18:47

Date: July 18, 2013 18:48

steverogan
treaclefingers
71Tele
steverogan
71Tele
steverogan
terraplane

You obviously prefer the agenda of NBC and its POV.

No, I obviously prefer being informed and making up my own mind. I find that when I do that I avoid doing things like mindlessly believing we must invade the wrong country, kill thousands of people, and spend trillions of dollars.

It is really interesting that so many folks on the far-right think if you don't watch Fixed News you must somehow be buying into its media opponents' agenda. As if it is not possible for a person to bypass propaganda television entirely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-18 18:51 by 71Tele.

Date: July 18, 2013 18:48

rollingon
treaclefingers
rollingon
treaclefingers

Because it is so odd to me that just because someone is on the cover would make him/her a glorified person, I don't think myself if I see someone on the cover of some magazine that the magazine is trying to glorify that person.

As you said, you don't understand. It's not about having the person on the cover, but the style of the photo.

They are free to publish it that way if they want, but then they are also free to accept any backlash should it come their way. There are any number of other photos that were probably available so choosing that one had intent, it was meant to stir a little controversy to save their flagging business.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2341
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home