Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Off The Hook
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: January 29, 2015 15:59

Just good fun but not that much of a track. I find listening to the Stones albums prior to Aftermath are a greater whole than the sum of their parts - a lot of filler in there but their sound was great and the had that certain something others didn't in that they could sound as trashy as and yet with the six of them it just always sorta worked. Most of their songs in isolation (except the singles of course) probably don't stand up too well on their own - but as a whole on an album they are great I think. But then I looooooove I Need You Baby/Mona and Walking The Dog and most here seem to dis them and love Carol from the debut LP far more than Yayas and again think I'm in the minority, so what do I know...>grinning smiley<

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 29, 2015 16:12

An early R&B-track, more an attempt than a perfect song, but charming in its imperfectness. I think it consists out of two chords, without a real bridge which would have added the third and fourth chord ...

Date: January 29, 2015 16:13

Perfected on the T.A.M.I.-show!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 29, 2015 17:43

Thanks DP for posting this great live guitars track-black American blues music with a popular feel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-30 18:53 by runaway.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 29, 2015 20:25

never really got into this song till i watched the TAMI show version on youtube, and now i think its awesome. i also recently discovered "the singer not the song" on youtube and thats really good as well, which for years i didnt really like.

youtube has some great stones songs, live or recorded, different versions including instrumental which really promote the band much better than listening to old vinyl in mono.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 29, 2015 21:53

jp.M
I knew there was a conflict beetween Chess records and the Stones publishings concerning one song in 64...but which ?? I think now it was apparently about "Somebody beat me"....

....I was wrong.."off the hook" was recorded in september 1964 and "somebody beat me" in april 1965....

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 30, 2015 05:25

OzHeavyThrobber
Just good fun but not that much of a track. I find listening to the Stones albums prior to Aftermath are a greater whole than the sum of their parts - a lot of filler in there ...>grinning smiley<

It's the other way around for me. I find the earlier albums all better than Aftermath (except for December's Children). Aftermath has the filler of Doncha Bother Me, Goin' Home, and even though a bit catchy: Think

Albums like the first 2 and Out of Our Heads are great all the way through.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 30, 2015 05:32

Great gnarly tune.

One of my all time favourites. I LOVE the early, developing Stones and THIS is one of the better ones.

They would give their songs air. This is full of nice slashy (not slashING) guitars AND air....

A tasty track.

Posted by: fuzzbox ()
Date: January 30, 2015 12:20

Great, fun track.

Why was the credit changed from Nanker Phelge to Jagger Richard?

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: January 30, 2015 14:14

Those that call early songs like "Off The Hook" filler just don't get it. If you were of age when this was released, you'd sing a different tune.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 30, 2015 16:38

sirdoug
Those that call early songs like "Off The Hook" filler just don't get it. If you were of age when this was released, you'd sing a different tune.

For what matters, I was not there, but I still find it a killer!

C

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 30, 2015 17:52

liddas
sirdoug

For what matters, I was not there, but I still find it a killer!

C

Me Too! I've been a fan since 1978 only smiling smiley, but always loved Off The Hook discovering the early Stones.
The clip from the TAMI-show is classic. The stinging solofills of Keith, the riffing of Brian and the expression on Keith's face at 1.48 and a yawning Brian at 2.02....thumbs up

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 31, 2015 00:22

DandelionPowderman
Perfected on the T.A.M.I.-show!

Not to be missed on a fridaynight in the year 2015!!!hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-31 00:23 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 31, 2015 09:34

Revived for the end of the SHE WAS HOT video where Charlie plays a talent agent answering multiple phones.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 1, 2015 02:59

A beautiful country/blues intro. A slice of moonshine and crickets. Then that classic 60s Stones Diddly rock candy beat. Infectious and slyly dangerous. The riff and Jagger's sublime vocals are stung by beautiful leads brightening the blues. I love the US version of The Rolling Stones Now. One of my favorite of their early ones. They are really stretching out with interesting chords, melodies, while steeped in the blues helping to create that classic British blues rock genre. In ways a precursor to so many of their songs...Stray Cat Blues before the leather straps, jackboots, and narcotics. This is also clearly influenced by Dylan. That thin mercury sound shimmers throughout the production of Off the Hook. A beautiful song.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2015 04:45

This is also clearly influenced by Dylan. That thin mercury sound shimmers throughout the production of Off the Hook

Bull shit!!! ... Thin mercury sound was a term Mr Dylan used to describe his
Blonde On Blonde recordings from late 65 ....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 1, 2015 10:21

whitem8
A beautiful country/blues intro. A slice of moonshine and crickets. Then that classic 60s Stones Diddly rock candy beat. Infectious and slyly dangerous. The riff and Jagger's sublime vocals are stung by beautiful leads brightening the blues. I love the US version of The Rolling Stones Now. One of my favorite of their early ones. They are really stretching out with interesting chords, melodies, while steeped in the blues helping to create that classic British blues rock genre. In ways a precursor to so many of their songs...Stray Cat Blues before the leather straps, jackboots, and narcotics. This is also clearly influenced by Dylan. That thin mercury sound shimmers throughout the production of Off the Hook. A beautiful song.

NOW was a US only release. Still brilliant, though thumbs up

Date: February 1, 2015 10:46

Yes, I know rockman. Now you know I am writing. Writing to be creative. And I think that mercury sound was in a lot of stuff back then around that period. That amphetamine treble blues. Shimmering. Off the Hook reminds me of that.

Date: February 1, 2015 11:21

Okay man but I'm a brutal teacher... no caret just a whip ...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 1, 2015 11:25

Dude you don't need to be teaching me anything. We've both been around the block a few times. Even crawled a bit I would imagine.

Date: February 1, 2015 11:28

Only stirrin' ya ...don't take it serious...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 1, 2015 15:25

Don't worry rockman. I rarely take IORR seriously.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: February 1, 2015 20:56

sirdoug

thumbs upthumbs up

You are quite right.... Filler?... No way. I First heard it in 1971 when I became a fan, and I've loved it ever since. Its a great track.

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: February 2, 2015 23:34

The beginning of Mick's satire-of-the-British Middle/Upper Class era that would reach its apex on Aftermath.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 3, 2015 17:33

sirdoug

Well, I was of age when this was released, but I have almost always and from early on found the song a little too monotonous for my taste. I have never called it "filler" though. That is usually not part of my vocabulary. The end of VOL2 by the way was always saved to me by the cover "Susie Q".

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home