Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Track Talk: SHATTERED
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 17, 2013 17:37

Sipuncula
I had no idea that that a sizeable portion of people (at least here) do not like this song. Very strange.

They're whack. This is a great Stones song, in their Top 20 for their greatest songs. Because it's different. And it's awesome.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 17, 2013 18:25

GasLightStreet
Sipuncula
I had no idea that that a sizeable portion of people (at least here) do not like this song. Very strange.

They're whack. This is a great Stones song, in their Top 20 for their greatest songs. Because it's different. And it's awesome.

I think your missing the part where many of us like the studio track, but find it a bit repetitive live. The subtle nuances in the studio make it.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 17, 2013 19:05

Like this track most in the powerful '78 and '81 versions. One of the few highlights of SAL, too.

Date: July 17, 2013 23:13

Thrylan
GasLightStreet
Sipuncula

I think your missing the part where many of us like the studio track, but find it a bit repetitive live. The subtle nuances in the studio make it.

Perhaps. They neutered it on the ABB tour, with the bridge being a yawn, unlike the Voodoo tour, which was stellar, especially how Charlie played the bridge and Ronnie playing ALL the notes. All other previous times they just plowed right through it, which I like but not as much as the Voodoo tour somehow.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 17, 2013 23:17

Right on.....Voodoo was close to the studio. Love Ronnie's" anti solo"......great example of what could be done without MT.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 25, 2013 08:31

Uh huh

Steel Wheels Tour rehearsal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-25 08:33 by Title5Take1.

Date: September 25, 2013 10:59

Title5Take1
Uh huh

Steel Wheels Tour rehearsal

Never heard that one before! Amazing! thumbs up

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: September 25, 2013 12:15

Brilliant track, brilliant piece of studio work, it's a collage really. And it's got this strange combination of being almost lackadaisical and f*cked up at the same time.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: September 25, 2013 15:55

Thrylan
GasLightStreet
Sipuncula

It was these posts that I was alluding to.

More Hot Rocks
Lord help me. This song is one of the worst. Amature guitars riff. Childish sha do be backups vocals. Terrible mix and production. They whole thing sounds like something 9 year old would make up.

That is mind boggling how More Hot Rocks views this track having amateur guitar riffs and childish backup vocals and that a small child would make this song up. That's beyond ridiculous.

RockinJive
Never liked this song. Some of the worst guitar work on any Rolling Stones record.

Shattered has excellent guitar work in it. A fantastic riff by Keith and excellent lead by Ronnie. The pedal steel is the icing on the cake. This track is up there in the ranks of their familiarity of being "the Stones" with Jumpin' Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice and Start Me Up among a few others. It sank in and sticks to this day. It's a timeless song.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 25, 2013 15:59

The studio version was great, wears a bit with time though.

I don't think I've heard a live version that I like. I think it's just one of those tracks, like Undercover that are very difficult to make work really well live.

Date: September 25, 2013 16:04

treaclefingers

I don't think I've heard a live version that I like. I think it's just one of those tracks, like Undercover that are very difficult to make work really well live.

What's wrong with the Still Life-version?? Too fast for you?

Undercover Of The Night from Atlantic City was perfection, even the slow picture change when Mick's microphone fell to the ground grinning smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 25, 2013 16:18

I think I've said enough about the turd over the years.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 25, 2013 16:18

GasLightStreet

Perhaps. They neutered it on the ABB tour, with the bridge being a yawn, unlike the Voodoo tour, which was stellar, especially how Charlie played the bridge and Ronnie playing ALL the notes. All other previous times they just plowed right through it, which I like but not as much as the Voodoo tour somehow.

I can't recall the Voodoo tour version, but what Charlie is playing at around 2:11 of Shattered in '79 is somewhat different of what was done before, and a better transition out of the bridge than even the studio recording.

To my ears, however, the bridge is the song's weak link, where all of the tension of the riff is lost. Dialing it down can be a brilliant move (think of the part in the song "Summer In The City" when the line, "..but a night it's a different world, go out and find a girl.." begins ) but in "Shattered" it doesn't just loosen, the whole song goes slack.

And while the main riff of the studio version was edgy and state-of-the-art, the guitars on the bridge sound recycled and uninspired.

I don't consider "Dance Little Sister" to be a great song, but it's similar to "Shattered" in how it's built on a repetitive riff. If the break on "Shattered" had been as strong as the one on DLS, "Shattered" would be a top-level Stones classic.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 25, 2013 16:40

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers

What's wrong with the Still Life-version?? Too fast for you?

Undercover Of The Night from Atlantic City was perfection, even the slow picture change when Mick's microphone fell to the ground grinning smiley

Yes, too fast. It's fine, it's not horrible, but sometimes the subtle things that make a stones song great are the timing and swing. They haven't been able to play a decent version of Rocks Off for years for example for the same reason.

You just can't improve on the studio versions of some songs, and for a handful they just can't be played well live.

Posted by: nobs ()
Date: September 25, 2013 17:06

(The guitar sound) was the MXR Phaser - the 100 model - and I damped (putting the base of the hand on the base of the strings to stop them from ringing) the guitar. That's what gives it that sound.
- Keith Richards, 1982

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 25, 2013 17:12

nobs
(The guitar sound) was the MXR Phaser - the 100 model - and I damped (putting the base of the hand on the base of the strings to stop them from ringing) the guitar. That's what gives it that sound.
- Keith Richards, 1982

Have any guitar players here used this (a Google search just showed plenty for sale). Or have you found some newer device you prefer that's good at duplicating the SHATTERED guitar sound?

Date: September 25, 2013 17:31

Title5Take1
nobs
- Keith Richards, 1982

Have any guitar players here used this (a Google search just showed plenty for sale). Or have you found some newer device you prefer that's good at duplicating the SHATTERED guitar sound?

I use this, and I still haven't found a better phaser...

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 25, 2013 19:05

shattered is a great song, the studio version is ok, it could be better but i love the live version on still life.

one of the best moments of the ronnie wood era.

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: September 25, 2013 19:08

Easily one of my favorite all time tracks by the Stones with the "sha-doo-bee" line. Speaks to punk and early rap.

Like a lot of Stones cuts with fast tempo, it is played too slow for my taste anymore. Love the version from "Texas '78".

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: September 25, 2013 19:56

It seems to me like they never get the riff right on the live version - it's like a different riff, with fast picking. The studio one is a pocket, the live one is too busy with fast picking.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 25, 2013 20:11

Utter shite.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 25, 2013 20:24

It's ok.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 25, 2013 21:11

Of course it's not a masterpiece but it works very well. Sort of Stones goes punk. If you don't like this one you probably like Streets of Love...

Date: September 25, 2013 21:34

Stoneage
Of course it's not a masterpiece but it works very well. Sort of Stones goes punk. If you don't like this one you probably like Streets of Love...

More if you like this you might like SOL too.

Neither is the real stones anyway.

Date: September 25, 2013 22:13

How can a good groove with attitude be shite?

It's different, I like it.

Date: September 25, 2013 23:37

DandelionPowderman
How can a good groove with attitude be shite?

Same reason a well played melodic guitar solo can be deemed shite.

One need only dislike it. grinning smiley

Date: September 26, 2013 00:14

It's easy seemingly grinning smiley

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 26, 2013 00:55

GasLightStreet

Shattered has excellent guitar work in it. A fantastic riff by Keith and excellent lead by Ronnie. The pedal steel is the icing on the cake. This track is up there in the ranks of their familiarity of being "the Stones" with Jumpin' Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice and Start Me Up among a few others. It sank in and sticks to this day. It's a timeless song.

Shattered is in my top five Stones. I like the punkish attitude in the original recorded version and in the tours that came right after. This is Mick Jagger doing rap.

I'm surprised a major rapper hasn't done his own version with his own lyrics. Instead they do pretentious st000pid shit like Picasso whatever

Posted by: nobs ()
Date: September 26, 2013 03:55

Turning To Gold
It seems to me like they never get the riff right on the live version - it's like a different riff, with fast picking. The studio one is a pocket, the live one is too busy with fast picking.
Much like Love Is Strong (when they played it) Live With Me etc. certain studio volumes just don't work in a large gathering with a loud stage volume, at least that's how I figure it

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 26, 2013 05:58

buttons67
shattered is a great song, the studio version is ok, it could be better ...

I just don't see how it could be better.

Stoneage
Of course it's not a masterpiece but ...

To me, it is a masterpiece. Simply a great tune from start to finish.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1519
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home