Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Anyone allready heard the new Springsteen
Posted by: bartman ()
Date: April 7, 2005 22:43

Check this out: [mp.aol.com]

Not bad at all if you ask me! Very modern and very Springsteen....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-07 22:45 by bartman.

Re: Anyone allready heard the new Springsteen
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 7, 2005 22:46

let me know when Seger comes out of retirement, will ya's? until - yaawwwwn.

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 8, 2005 01:28

It's Bruce's default "strummin'n'mumblin' tune. He's put this song out about twelve times, albiet with different words.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: April 8, 2005 03:39

Sans the E Street band?
Have they split again?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 8, 2005 03:59

I don't like it at all...it all sounds the same to me.

But perhaps I'm the wrong person to ask. I've never liked Bruce Springsteen.

Does anybody really, really like him?

Most real Stones fans and rock and roll fans in general that I know despise him, except for a few rabid Boss fans I've seen on this site.
To me a Stones fan that is also a Springsteen fan is a contradiction of terms.
They really don't exist in the real world.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 8, 2005 04:03

Hairball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't like it at all...it all sounds the same to
> me.
>
> But perhaps I'm the wrong person to ask. I've
> never liked Bruce Springsteen.
>
> Does anybody really, really like him?

yeah. More than the Stones, actually...
>
> Most real Stones fans and rock and roll fans in
> general that I know despise him, except for a few
> rabid Boss fans I've seen on this site.
> To me a Stones fan that is also a Springsteen fan
> is a contradiction of terms.
> They really don't exist in the real world.

never read such bullshit in all my life. Its not like youre comparing Pavarotti with the Sex Pistols

and...duh....Springsteen himself is a huge Stones fan which makes your point even more nonsensical.

Date: April 8, 2005 05:22

Thanks Gazza,

You are one of the rabid fans I was referring to. LOL.

While Springsteen may like the Stones, it's highly unlikeley and very doubtful that the Stones have the same respect for "The Boss".
They would spit right in his face and blow his ass right off the stage if it ever came to a showdown.

But I guess I should correct myself for the sake of this arguement and state that most American rock and roll fans can't stand him. He's a watered down Bob Dylan/Bob Seger wannabe. I suppose I can understand though why a few Europeans may like him though, he really represents Americana...lol!!!

Posted by: davido ()
Date: April 8, 2005 06:11

Springsteen puts on an excellent live show
which is not to miss. Otherwise I find his albums
hit and miss,mostly I liked the 70's stuff, tho
I liked Rising too.

Posted by: shawnriffhard ()
Date: April 8, 2005 07:21

Hairball,
I'm not sure what planet your living on. To mention Bob Seger in the same paragraph as Bruce is insane. I've no ill will towards Seger; he seems like a nice guy who'd probably be nice to have over for dinner and all that, but puleazze! I can appreciate his hard working, blue collar thing, but he's very pedestrian. He generally appeals to people who don't want to think too hard and have something to tap their boot to while sitting at the bar in their Ford hat (while they're staring down the guy accross the bar with the Chevy hat on). This is the guy who has written one of the corniest tunes ever (Like a Rock), and one of the lamest (Against the Wind)' plus and anthem for folks who don't like all that "new fangled stuff" (Old Time Rock and Roll). He's a beacon of conservative dim wittedness.

Bruce is, behind Chuck Berry, Dylan, Tom Waits and Hendrix, far and away the superior song writing and perofrming artist in American rock history.

I'm from Philadelphia. Its a cornerstone of the Stones fanbase. It also happens to be a place where Bruce is held in such esteem as to compare to the outpouring we've just seen for the Pope. Mick has said in at least two different interviews I've read that he thinks Bruce is THE best American rocker ever.

His shows are like a spiritual revival. Cripples walk and the blind suddenly can see. Here's a guy who has written tons of tremendous material and set a standard for awe inspiring performances that hardly anyone can match.I know you've never seen him live or you woyuldn't have this opinion yourself, but to go shooting your mouth off about REAL rock fans, what are you talking about?! How the hell do you qualify as a REAL rock fan? By agreeing with your tiny little view of the world? I'll compare my knowledge of Stones stats to anybody, anyday and I've seen some very diverse Stones shows (opening night of VL and No Security, the Brixton 95, Toronto SARS, too many stadium shows).

I suspect you don't know that many REAL rock fans and your kidding yourself if you think the Stones could come anywhere near generating the energy that he and the E-Street band create on a nightly basis (MIck and Charlie excepted, but two guuys don't make a band).

Let's be honest, we all know what big allowances we have to make when going to see the Stones live. What with all the holding of the breath every time Ronnie goes for a "solo" or all of the posing that Keith does and Chuck's continuous honky-tonk piano and on and on. I accept that and deal with it, generally without complaint. They can come out and do the proverbial phone book, and I'm still gonna go, but to compare the level of musicianship that you will typically see at their respective shows is crazieness.

And to be honest, as far as really attacking the guitar in a physical, aggressive way, well let's not turn this into a Stones bashing thing, but Bruce CAN and DOES, absolutely blaze on guitar. My whole point is that I rate my intensity as a Stones fan as high as anyone's and I'm a huge Bruce fan as are MOST of the REAL rock fans I know. I think this whole deal of yours speaks more to your limited social circle than anything.

To be talking about spitting in somebody's face when you clearly have no idea what your talking about shows what limited knowledge you have of REAL rock. If you're not a fan, fine, but to be throwing around this crap where you're the judge of who's a REAL fan and who's not; pure, insulting bullshit.

Get a life and a clue.

Date: April 8, 2005 08:22

For The Record,
I'm not necessarily a Bob Seger Fan either...far from it to be honest...but as a matter of fact I was only stating the the "boss" imitates Dylan and Mr. Seger.

It seems to me that "The Boss" is attempting to mesh the two stlyes together, subconsciously attempting to sound like " the rock" of Seger, and at the same time mimicking the lyrical genius and wisdom of the Master Bob Dylan. It doesn't make sense, and it certainly is unreal.

If you have only a handful of "greatest hits" such as Springteen...how can you expect a great concert experience? Bruce is far over the hill at this point in time, and as most would agree here, even U2 deserve a higher place on the rock and roll mountain of greats.

I just don't understand all the raves for Springstein, especially on a Rolling Stones fan site.

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: April 8, 2005 08:41

Hairball Wrote:
> For The Record,
> I'm not necessarily a Bob Seger Fan either...far
> from it to be honest...but as a matter of fact I
> was only stating the the "boss" imitates Dylan
> and Mr. Seger.
>
Yeah right. And Bob Dylan imitates Woody Guthrie........

Date: April 8, 2005 10:08

And Woody Guthrie imitates Leadbelly...

Shall we take it further? smiling smiley

Posted by: Gunnar ()
Date: April 8, 2005 10:21

It is always weird to see my fellow Stones-fans bash other excellent artists...
I really look forward to another stripped-down Bruce record. He is an excellent songwriter and performer. He is also very, very good without the E-Street Band. The Ghost of Tom Joad brought at least two new classic songs to the great American songbook: the title track and Across the Border. This time Springsteend plays with Steve Jordan, well-known drummer from Keith´s solorecords. Bless him!

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: April 8, 2005 10:43

Goast of Tom Joad is really a great, stripped dpwn record. Except for some of his earlier albums, I think this is his best.

Some of the Stones-fans may have taken the fact that Keith doesn't like Springsteen too literally.

IMO, we must support "the last rockers" before our boys are the only rock'n'roll band left smiling smiley

Posted by: Edith_Grove ()
Date: April 8, 2005 11:06

No they have not splitted.
These are songs that the boss has written during his '96 solo tour.

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: April 8, 2005 11:08

Well, about imitating.. I have always felt that Bruce Springsteen stands to Bob Dylan as Aerosmith to The Rolling Stones. If we take the point further, yeah, Dylan stands to Woody Guthrie as The Rolling Stones to Chuck Berry.. Hmm.. is there a point to make? I don't know...

I can not help it but it always reminds me of Ronald "Ronnie" Reagan when I hear Bruce... But a great rocker I guess, but too pathetic to my taste smiling smiley

- Doxa

Date: April 8, 2005 11:18

Reagan misunderstood Springsteen and thought he could use him (and Born In The USA) in the election, but found out that Springsteen's political views were quite the opposite of his own...

Date: April 8, 2005 11:31

"Reagan misunderstood Springsteen and thought he could use him (and Born In The USA) in the election, but found out that Springsteen's political views were quite the opposite of his own..."

True, but like I said I can't help of his music reminding me of those glory 80's days.. the videos of "Born In The USA" and "Dancing in The Dark"... and James Brown doing "Living in America" in Rocky IV and so on.. Bruce was VERY big at that time, just behind Michael Jackson. Did Bruce make about every cut of that album a top chart single?

- Doxa

Date: April 8, 2005 11:47

>Hairball Wrote:
>
> While Springsteen may like the Stones, it's highly
> unlikeley and very doubtful that the Stones have
> the same respect for "The Boss".

actually, mick's a springsteen fan, for what its worth. Who cares what Keith thinks? He basically hates all competition anyway, you can dismiss anyone white and under 60 as far as he's concerned.

> They would spit right in his face and blow his ass
> right off the stage if it ever came to a
> showdown.
>
>

yeah, right. Sure.. (rolls eyes sarcastically)..when was the last time a Stones show lasted for 3 and a half hours, incidentally?

The rest of your ill informed diatribe has been well enough shot down in flames by other posters here (great post, Shawnriffhard) without me needing to add to it other than to say that the irony of a Stones fan dismissing Springsteen as an "over the hill" artist is obviously lost on you!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 8, 2005 11:47

Springsteen is already a legend IMHO.
And the man remains humble in an a very honest way.

All the stars of USA for Africa arrived in big expensive limos at the recording studio in 1985.
Bruce arrived in a rented car and parked on the other side of the road.
It's a little thing that I just thought of... but it describes that he's just a simple southern new jersey bloke. And he is still like that.
This has nothing to do with his music, but it explains that he's honest... and to me that's important for a musician.

If you're not convinced that he's a great artist you probably never listened to The River.

I kinda like this new track btw. Tom Joad wasn't really my cup of tea... when he does stuff like this I much rather prefer Nebraska (another classic!)

Date: April 8, 2005 11:50

Edith_Grove Wrote:
> > No they have not splitted.
> These are songs that the boss has written during
> his '96 solo tour.
>
>

one or two of them are old songs that he didnt use previously, but I think most are new.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 8, 2005 12:53

I enjoy Springsteen although I wouldn't consider myself a fan (which as I have all his albums shows how much of a Stones fan I am), fav album Wild, Innocent And The E Street Shuffle.

Bruce has appeared with various Stones at the RnR Hall Of Fame bashes and played at least one cover (Street Fighting Man) in concert. Have no doubt that at least some of the Stones like him. To me he came out of Dylan influences with some Stax thrown in. Ordered the new album with DVD combo.

Still don't understand the Aerosmith-Stones complaints. More influenced by Yardbirds/Zeppelin then Stones.

Date: April 8, 2005 14:37

other covers he's played live include The Last Time, Dead Flowers (with Steve Earle), Honky Tonk Women.

Throw in Elvis, Spector and John Fogerty amongst those influences you've mentioned. However as can be seen by so many identikit artists since, he's become a genre in his own right.

The notion that Springsteen is a copycat of Bob Seger of all people is so laughable that it's unreal.

As for Dylan - well, practically EVERY songwriter worth a damn in the last 40 years has been influenced by Dylan. Including Mick and Keith. Bob simply re-wrote the book. Others, Bruce included, simply adapted it their own way. They're not really that alike at all in the way they both write.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 8, 2005 15:44

What made me laugh on "The Rising" was that at least three tunes sound exactly like the same song. Lonesome Day, The Rising and one other one in the middle there I get mixed up. Never dug Bruce too much. respect him like hell but I don't know. Gues you have to see him live. Early on it was all rock operas. All those arpeggios and glockenspiels drove me crazy.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 8, 2005 16:00

I don't see the problem in liking the Stones, Springsteen, and Seger (as well as lots of others). I grew up on them all and still enjoy them very much.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: April 8, 2005 16:20

Bruce Springsteen and The Rolling Stones are my two favorite artists. It's possible to like both. To add to this thread, Max Weinberg (a great rock n roll drummer, IMO) has cited none other than Charlie Watts as his idol. For what it's worth.

Date: April 8, 2005 16:45

<Max Weinberg (a great rock n roll drummer, IMO) has cited none other than Charlie Watts as his idol. For what it's worth.>

Wow! That was a surprise. I'd never thought that...

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 8, 2005 16:48

I see absolutely no contradiction in liking both Springsteen and the Stones. Bruce is my favorite American artist, and easily the best American concert performer.

As for the Stones influence, Steve van Zandt is an unabashed fan of Keith. The comparisons between Charlie and Max Weinberg are very appropriate. Max is one of my favorites, for his power and rock-steady approach to drumming.

Date: April 8, 2005 17:09

..and the equally minimalist but effective drum kits!

Date: April 8, 2005 17:49

Whatever we think about his music, Bruce is at least a big fan of The Stones (and that always is a charmant and irresistible feature in a person, and much can be forgiven for that!). I remember him saying - was it back in the 80's - that he is still as thrilled as when he was a teenager of a new Stones album.

Funny incident that happened during the Dirty Work sessions: his wife was doing some backing vocals, but the boss stayed outside in the car being too shy to enter in. Finally someone of the Stones asked him to come inside, which he actually did. A nice and a humble guy he seems to be.

It was strange that little afterwards Keith was giving quite ignoring remarks of him, by claiming that Bruce's music is nothing to compared to real masters like Sam Cooke. I sensed a bit of jealousy or bitterness in Keef's words. Boss was really peaking popularwise that time. (I think it was a NME interview, summer 1986.)

- Doxa

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home