Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick Jagger or Keith Richards: Charity ever???
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 11, 2013 01:27

I'm less concerned with their donations than their willingness to speak out on issues. You hear little in the way of human rights from them, as opposed to people like Peter Gabriel & U2. You risk being preachy, but better that than wasting your platform.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 11, 2013 06:11

Send It To me
I'm less concerned with their donations than their willingness to speak out on issues. You hear little in the way of human rights from them, as opposed to people like Peter Gabriel & U2. You risk being preachy, but better that than wasting your platform.

Not to mention as well, Obama, Putin and Merkel wasting a perfect opportunity to produce and star in a remake of Gone With the Wind.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 11, 2013 06:36

Did a concert for the blind.......and dragged MT around....

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: July 11, 2013 11:31

I heard a friend of Keith asked him to play a benefit. He could not go, but donated $10,000 (or something like that) to the cause. That is kind and generous.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 11, 2013 11:48

They helped a lot of old bluesmen by covering many of their songs.

Posted by: Jaggeresque ()
Date: July 11, 2013 11:55

I remember Keith paid the many thousands of pounds needed to restore the church roof in West Wittering a few years back.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 11, 2013 13:40

I think their cover is well blown in recent years...,

...but for the Rolling Stones to be seen being nice wouldn't really fit with their very carefully cultivated image ;^)

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: July 11, 2013 13:58

rollingon
Jelly Face Joe
The Rolling Stones donated a Million Dollars to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Okay, it's good to hear this! I hope they will do this more!

WHY?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 11, 2013 19:03

Some people need attention and talk about their donations, other keep quite while donating lots of Money.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 11, 2013 19:22

I always admired the shady Bruce food bank donations in 1984 as documented in Barry Fey's Backstage Past book. Bruce never gave $10,000 personally, they just changed the artist/promoter split different and the $10,000 came from the promoter making less. Promoters never complained because every show was sold out, everybody made money, everybody happy.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: July 11, 2013 19:30

JJackFl
rollingon
Jelly Face Joe
The Rolling Stones donated a Million Dollars to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Okay, it's good to hear this! I hope they will do this more!

WHY?

Because they have resources to do that and they can be a good example to other people with resources.

Maybe it wouldn't be so good for their image, their image is not being nice.

I think Keith is generous by heart.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 11, 2013 20:22

They paid for Hubert Sumlin's funeral....a wonderful deed.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 11, 2013 20:34

It is always best to do good deeds and make contributions in private.
Do it because doing it a good thing, no applause needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 20:36 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 12, 2013 00:30

I've never understood the phrase "Charity begins at home".

Does that mean you should buy yourself a house? Before giving to others?

If so, then both Mick and Keith have each made a hugely charitable beginning. Good on 'em.winking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 12, 2013 01:00

stonehearted
Roscoe
Word in the non-profit world is that Keith has made substantial unpublicized donations to the William J. Clinton Foundation. Therein lies the basis of Bill 'n Keef friendship.

You mean Keef picked up the check for dinner? Very charitable of Keef, to buy dinner for a former world leader.

Bill taking home a doggie bag, I see.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 12, 2013 01:57

stonehearted

If so, then both Mick and Keith have each made a hugely charitable beginning. Good on 'em.winking smiley

It means that you should look after the people close to you first - family friends, neighbors - before you try to help strangers. If you have a big family and want your neighbors to move in, then I suppose buying a big house would qualify.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 12, 2013 02:54

latebloomer
stonehearted

It means that you should look after the people close to you first - family friends, neighbors - before you try to help strangers. If you have a big family and want your neighbors to move in, then I suppose buying a big house would qualify.

I was only being tongue-in-cheek. But, since Mick and Keith have several large houses throughout the world, shouldn't starving Rawandans be allowed to stay in these houses they're not occupying at any given time? Then Keith could give a concert: Shepard's Pies for Ethiopia. Just a (charitable) thought.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 12, 2013 02:58

Max'sKansasCity
It is always best to do good deeds and make contributions in private.
Do it because doing it a good thing, no applause needed.

I agree
Plus
It's really no one's business
There are so many complications with making financial dealings public if you are wealthy
Many of them mentioned on this thread

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 13, 2013 02:09

TeddyB, you're right, the Stones donate a lot, privately. They do not seek praise or headlines. On March 14, 2006, they did a concert for the Robin Hood Foundation at Radio City ( I went!), and the $$ went to the homeless of NYC. A great show for a great cause. This was a public event but usually it's all done way under the radar.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: July 13, 2013 02:24

Benifit concert Nicaragua Earthquake 73
Benifit concert for the blind in Canada 79 (yes I know they did not have a choice)
Donated 500,000 in 89 for the SF bay area Earthquake
SARS concert 2003
Donated 1Mil for hurricane katrina
Donated 1Mil for Sandy

plus many others

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: July 13, 2013 08:03

An example for "smaller" donations

Duebendorf/Switzerland ABB Tour 2006

People were told that part of the income for these Onstage tickets is for charity. And in fact the Stones' donation was about CHF 90'000 to two institutions (homes) for handicaped people. One in Duebendorf and one in Bruettisellen (which is also near to the airfield they played back then).

As far I know they donated on every single US concert part of the Onstage ticket income. Probably also for the other european shows. That would be a very big amount.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 13, 2013 08:13

One of the coolest examples of The Stones doing good/donating was....
I forget the exact details/tour, and maybe someone here can help, but it was in Eastern Europe and the arena they were playing was not up to code for modern electrical requirements... so the Stones paid to redo the whole place and after the show they left it all in place for future use. I think it is was same town/event where typically going through check points/border crossings is biga hassle/ordeal, but for one night all one had to do was flash Rollins Stones tickets and they were in like Flint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 08:17 by Max'sKansasCity.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home