Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Arena v/s Stadium
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 10, 2013 03:40

Here's an idea: how about arenas with cheap tickets? For fvck's sake.
Do it for the kids you greedy bastards!

Re: Arena v/s Stadium
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 10, 2013 04:44

Careful with that, well thought out logic......you might get the iorr blade

After Glastonbury get back to stadiums!
Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: July 12, 2013 15:38

I've watched Glastonbury for how many times I don't know!

First of all I must say it's one hell of a concert despite some minor hick ups.
Today when was watching it once again I suddenly got the feeling that they certainly should do more stadiums on this tour.

They certainly have the potential to rock a lot of big stadiums still!
I've moaned about the setlist lately and I still think they could change it a bit. But the thing is that the warhorses span over so many generations nowadays that one can't dismiss them.

In my humble opinion the Stones will knock any audience from their feet at any time!

So get back to the stadiums, you will certainly manage them more than well!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Re: After Glastonbury get back to stadiums!
Posted by: Torres ()
Date: July 12, 2013 15:49

I don't think that stadiums are the answer to the phenomena you watched in Glastonbury. It's more about youth. That's the power engine in Glastonbury. Youth.

Watch the crowd in the Hyde Park videos, and between some excited individuals, you see a whole sea of mild interest.

If they can fill stadiums with younger generations, able to drive the band to a new level of performance, then it might work. Otherwise, it's the same old, same old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-12 15:50 by Torres.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 12, 2013 15:55

Right, Torres! Glastonbury was a special event. If you go back to the normal Stones audience from these days you'll get a lot of that mild interest again.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 12, 2013 16:00

Glastonbury was filmed close up and the stage was quite small.

I can't imagine it was so great being at the back of a 100,000 crowd.

I hate the stadium gigs.

Stage to big, too much running around and Mick too exaggerated.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 12, 2013 16:46

GravityBoy
Glastonbury was filmed close up and the stage was quite small.

I can't imagine it was so great being at the back of a 100,000 crowd.

I hate the stadium gigs.

Stage to big, too much running around and Mick too exaggerated.

smileys with beerhot smileyJeroen

Posted by: nickm8 ()
Date: July 12, 2013 17:12

YES thats one of the issues on this tour get back to stadiums

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 12, 2013 17:25

Stadiums gives the option for general admission to the pitch and cheaper tickets which in turn means younger audience. This was evident at Hyde Park.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 12, 2013 17:28

Dunno, HP1 was pretty cool too...at least from the front and certainly from the Stones' point of view. Looking back at the massive crowd was a lot more "exciting" than at the O2 where it felt a bit like being in a movie theater.

Anyway with no dates planned until the fall it looks like it's back to the Arena format for the next "leg" !

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 12, 2013 17:38

Torres
I don't think that stadiums are the answer to the phenomena you watched in Glastonbury. It's more about youth. That's the power engine in Glastonbury. Youth.

Watch the crowd in the Hyde Park videos, and between some excited individuals, you see a whole sea of mild interest.

If they can fill stadiums with younger generations, able to drive the band to a new level of performance, then it might work. Otherwise, it's the same old, same old.

I don't really have the a problem with the same old, same old.

The same could be said of bacon sandwiches...and I certainly don't get fed up of them

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 12, 2013 17:40

The last stadium show I saw, there were a lot of empty seats in the upper deck. The show was still good & there were plenty of folks there but it was a little sad too. & they had Dave Matthews (yawn) open, who is a good draw here too. They probably should've got Pearl Jam.

Date: July 12, 2013 18:54

Torres

I agree. When I see people at a Stones concert standing looking dumbfounded I want to reach through the screen and shake them back to life! Saw a lot of this watching the Hyde Park videos. That wasn't the case at Glastonbury.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 12, 2013 19:26

Judging from many clips i have seen, not only at Glasto but also at Hyde Park the audience was much younger than any arena. As sjs said, stadiums mean cheaper tickets, younger crowd, more enthousiastic atmosphere. It's so obvious...

Honestly, i don't know whether the ticket prices for Hyde Park are considered as reasonable by the current UK measures. But all of us know that by these prices 130,000 tickets have been sold in minutes. I think the Stones should add up some big venues to their plan in Europe. Stadiums (i would say of 35,0000 - 50,000 capacity, mainly) and huge Parks, like Hyde Park, Letna Park in Prague, etc, for vast crowds. By reasonable prices, of course.

Even a financial point of view says "do some stadiums", i think... Yes, during the recent northamerican arena tour they had $ 4,860,855 as average gross per gig, but the average price per ticket was $ 345,4. The band just cannot charge these prices in Europe, espacially by the current financial conditions. So, they have the opportunity to gross (atleast in some places) more thanks to bigger crowds, not thanks to higher prices.

In addition, if the Stones do some stadium gigs, they'll have the capability of reducing the total number of the gigs. Which means more breaks and breaths between the shows, less "routine". At their age this factor, saving powers, is very important.

PS I don't think they necessarilly have to fill 100% every stadium, if the tour will finally include some of them. Recently Bruce Springsteen played in front of 41,579 people at Munich Olympiastadion and the funny thing is that the show have been reported as "sellout" on Billborad's Boxscore. The same happened with Depeche Mode at Stade De France: 62,000 tickets sold and "sell out". It seems like the financial retrenchments in Europe are "cuting out" even the capatity of the big stadiums...

Date: July 12, 2013 19:31

Never thought I would change my mind on this but Glastonbury was a cold slap in the face for me. Time to get back to doing stadium shows.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: July 12, 2013 19:36

You damn right...

And european young generation don't have money to fill stadiums...

Torres

Watch the crowd in the Hyde Parkvideos, and between some excited individuals, you see a whole sea of mild interest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-12 19:38 by Powerage.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: July 12, 2013 20:09

In my opinion there's a chance for cheap tix and a variety of the crowd from young to old.

What I meant in my first post was that the Stones don't need to scale down into small arenas musically or soundwise.
I think they can rock a stadium still despite their age!
There's not many bands that can do that like they do!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: July 12, 2013 21:57

They are still the best stadium act.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 12, 2013 22:21

Bad move. Small venue

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 12, 2013 23:47

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
Never thought I would change my mind on this but Glastonbury was a cold slap in the face for me. Time to get back to doing stadium shows.

If every stadium show was on a small stage, filmed close up by the BBC and mixed by them I agree.

Otherwise you can keep it.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 13, 2013 01:31

Someone already started a thread on this topic 3 days ago (see link below), also citing Glastonbury as the reason they should return to stadium tours. When it was winter, we longed for summer; now that it is summer, we wish again for winter. It seems there is always something we would rather have The Stones doing instead.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 13, 2013 01:48

"When it was winter, we longed for summer; now that it is summer, we wish again for winter"

Good point, stonehearted, but the word "we" doesn't include anyone if us. Personally, i was prefering stadiums by far, all along...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 13, 2013 01:56

No interest in stadium shows. Done to death and unless youre down front, theyre shite.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 13, 2013 01:59

Gazza
No interest in stadium shows. Done to death and unless youre down front, theyre shite.

That's the key .......... down the front. And unless that's where you are, in my book - virtually ANY gig is shite !! there's a few exceptions to that obviously, but in most cases I find that there's just nothing quite like being close to the performers.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 13, 2013 02:29

Stadiums are fine... if it means low prices for youngsters and no seating near the stage (which kills the atmosphere).

Hardly likely to happen though :-(

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: July 13, 2013 03:20

Gazza

+1.....stadium shows in general boring as hell

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 13, 2013 03:27

sjs12
Stadiums gives the option for general admission to the pitch and cheaper tickets which in turn means younger audience. This was evident at Hyde Park.

Lack of greed gives an even better option for cheaper tickets which results in younger audiences.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 13, 2013 03:30

Arenas and clubs...elsewhere, the sound gets lost.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: July 13, 2013 04:30

Torres

I think this "phenomenon" is clearly evidenced on the performances with Mayer/Clarke Jr. and Dave Grohl.

The best guitar playing of the evening because these younger guns kicked the old boys in the arse to up their game.

J

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: July 13, 2013 05:03

stadiums = NO!

although i know,i will never get tickets to see em so fookin close,,...

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home