Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11
Re: WARNING!!! Unpopular Opinion: Keith Richards Should Lay His Guitar Down And Let The Stones Roll On!
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 9, 2013 01:51

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
Don't misunderstand me, I love Keith Richards. He is the ultimate rock 'n roll warrior, a real battler, the Brett Favre of rock 'n roll, and my hero. But it is obvious that his time has passed. I really think this Saturday night should be it for my hero. As much as it pains me to say it, it is time for Keith to lay down his guitar and let the Stones roll on. Not saying he couldn't be involved with the writing of a new album, or that he couldn't guest (in Mick Taylor fashion) but it's (sadly) time for the Stones to look in another direction.

It was painful watching both Joe Namath and Muhammad Ali at the end of their great careers. I am feeling the same thing with Keith. He should do the noble thing and step down after Saturday night and let the mighty Stones roll on.

Dear TheLoneRangerRidesAgain,

F*** off, you very silly person

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Re: WARNING!!! Unpopular Opinion: Keith Richards Should Lay His Guitar Down And Let The Stones Roll On!
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 9, 2013 01:58

vudicus
Thrylan
This is silly. On the other hand, he does need to "play within himself."

On a side note, there are many ways to defend Keith, but saying he is better than 06' and 07' is not one.

But he is playing better than 2006-2007. It's a valid point.

I've got a 3 year old granddaughter that is better than 06',07'.....and she doesn't play at all.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 9, 2013 02:14

No he shouldn't. Because the solution is quite easy: Keith should avoid any opening riffs and any solos that are not Chuck Berry-style like It's Only Rock'n'Roll. Ronnie could take over the openings. Ronnie and Mick Taylor could share the guitar solo duties. And Keith? He should lay a "solid rhythm down". No more, no less. It would work. And it would sound great.

But, most importantly: It would still be the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 9, 2013 02:22

paulywaul
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
Don't misunderstand me, I love Keith Richards. He is the ultimate rock 'n roll warrior, a real battler, the Brett Favre of rock 'n roll, and my hero. But it is obvious that his time has passed. I really think this Saturday night should be it for my hero. As much as it pains me to say it, it is time for Keith to lay down his guitar and let the Stones roll on. Not saying he couldn't be involved with the writing of a new album, or that he couldn't guest (in Mick Taylor fashion) but it's (sadly) time for the Stones to look in another direction.

It was painful watching both Joe Namath and Muhammad Ali at the end of their great careers. I am feeling the same thing with Keith. He should do the noble thing and step down after Saturday night and let the mighty Stones roll on.

Dear TheLoneRangerRidesAgain,

F*** off, you very silly person

The OP just likes to stir things up with these outlandish half-baked scenarios--as if original core members would or could ever be replaced after 50 years! It's just tabloid bloggery, intended to instigate controversy over themes that don't really exist (like the Sons of Beatles).

In the U.S. years back there was this TV "personality" named Jerry Springer. Same idea. Perhaps you've heard of him--before he took to posting here under a plethora of names while provoking people with the same old fluff-ridden themes.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 9, 2013 02:26

Do people actually have a purpose/goal when replying to threads like this? Did anyone feel that goal was met after replying today? Does anyone hope for more threads like this so they can reply in the future? Will they/you have a purpose then? WIlll it be the same as today purpose/goal?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 9, 2013 02:31

Best thing for this person is to ride off into the sunset, never to be seen or heard of again.

Date: July 9, 2013 03:15

Max'sKansasCity
Do people actually have a purpose/goal when replying to threads like this? Did anyone feel that goal was met after replying today? Does anyone hope for more threads like this so they can reply in the future? Will they/you have a purpose then? WIlll it be the same as today purpose/goal?

As much purpose as the ones that say," Keith is better than ever! Mick still performs like he is 25!, The Stones are better now than in 81'!"

Some of us, seemingly few, live in the known reality.

Also, I will admit, some people are kill-joys, but it's pretty easy to distinguish them from the (many) guitar playing fans with a critical ear. As a poster commented earlier, after acknowledging the shortcomings of the show, "I had a great time" it is possible.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: July 9, 2013 03:16

Whaaaaaaaaa? I thought he played pretty well on this past tour. Saw him twice in Boston. I thought he played better than Bigger Band tour . . .

Date: July 9, 2013 03:22

Mr. Jimi
Whaaaaaaaaa? I thought he played pretty well on this past tour. Saw him twice in Boston. I thought he played better than Bigger Band tour . . .

I dealt with that backhanded compliment earlier in this thread.....

Date: July 9, 2013 03:23

Thrylan
Max'sKansasCity

As much purpose as the ones that say," Keith is better than ever! Mick still performs like he is 25!, The Stones are better now than in 81'!"

Also, I will admit, some people are kill-joys, but it's pretty easy to distinguish them from the (many) guitar playing fans with a critical ear. As a poster commented earlier, after acknowledging the shortcomings of the show, "I had a great time" it is possible.

I believe that was andrew who is leading the pack, with one show to go, for the award "Best IORRer reporting live from a concert", I think it was one of the Toronto shows.

But as far as my question.... I meant with most everyone knowing full well that the OP was just trying to get people's panties in a bind, why not just ignore, versus actually give an answer? I wondered what was the goal to answering such a silly post when that will only lead to more silly/sad threads.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: July 9, 2013 03:26

Show him the BLADE Keith!

Date: July 9, 2013 03:27

and (hoping to head the grumpy grandma off at the pass and avoid her finger pointing) note I am not against such things, or saying what anyone can or can not do, I was simply curious the goal/purpose? Not that it is good or bad.

Date: July 9, 2013 03:32

Max'sKansasCity
Thrylan
Max'sKansasCity

I believe that was andrew who is leading the pack, with one show to go, for the award "Best IORRer reporting live from a concert", I think it was one of the Toronto shows.

But as far as my question.... I meant with most everyone knowing full well that the OP was just trying to get people's panties in a bind, why not just ignore, versus actually give an answer? I wondered what was the goal to answering such a silly post when that will only lead to more silly/sad threads.

I know what you mean, but I think fans like you or I can ignore it, and it usually goes away. Flame throwers lose interest quickly. I like to roll with them, make a joke, and they get bored fast without getting a reaction.

Yes, it was Andrew, gave us a great play by play. Actually, likely the most believable and earnest review I heard. Personally, of the shows I've seen, all 89' and later, one sticks out as distinctly the worst......and I LOVED it, because it was the Stones, and I was there.

Date: July 9, 2013 03:34

Also Max, I don't even take this thread title seriously.

Date: July 9, 2013 03:37

Thrylan
Max'sKansasCity
Thrylan
Max'sKansasCity

I know what you mean, but I think fans like you or I can ignore it, and it usually goes away. Flame throwers lose interest quickly. I like to roll with them, make a joke, and they get bored fast without getting a reaction.

Yes, it was Andrew, gave us a great play by play. Actually, likely the most believable and earnest review I heard. Personally, of the shows I've seen, all 89' and later, one sticks out as distinctly the worst......and I LOVED it, because it was the Stones, and I was there.

I have nominated Simon for "Best concert experience review" for his tale of meeting friends at the bar, all of them heading to A ROLLING STONES SHOW in Hyde Park, on a sunny day and not being overly concerned with judging exact riffs, setlists or etc etc... and he related that he had the time of his life.... and his story brought a big smile to my face.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 03:41 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: July 9, 2013 03:40

Thrylan

Uh oh, now next time it will be something like.....
WARNING!!! YOU BETTER TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY!!! OR ELSE!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 22:30 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: July 9, 2013 03:46

No Keith, no Stones; and it's time for no Stones. That wasn't his scarf! Please. That's a wrong chord. He had one thing to do right all day. ONE THING. The first notes of the first song. That's all he had to do right. After the band came in he could relax. When you're charging that kind of money, when you're getting PAID that kind of money, you DON'T screw up! It's not an option. Scarves are no excuse, age is no excuse, living legend status is no excuse, there ARE no excuses. If you're in that kind of big-time situation, you NAIL IT OR GO HOME. That's the way it is.

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: July 9, 2013 03:50

Noticed this in the store today......

May have been posted on another thread......

Date: July 9, 2013 03:53

Max'sKansasCity
Thrylan

I love the personal concert stories, and I really, really like heading the personal tales of how different people, got turned on to different albums and why. Age, time, surroundings......all are factors, and all remind me of when I got hooked.....happy times! See, we've hijacked this negative thread and made it happy!

I want the Keith emoticon to be official!

Date: July 9, 2013 03:55

Thrylan
Max'sKansasCity
Thrylan

I love the personal concert stories, and I really, really like heading the personal tales of how different people, got turned on to different albums and why. Age, time, surroundings......all are factors, and all remind me of when I got hooked.....happy times! See, we've hijacked this negative thread and made it happy!

I want the Keith emoticon to be official!
grinning smileysmileys with beersmileys with beergrinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 22:30 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 9, 2013 04:33

I look at posts from this particular person (under whatever name he is using at the moment) the same as I would an eccentric uncle: Sometimes amusing or entertaining to the "family", but potentially embarrassing or irritating when guests are visiting.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 9, 2013 05:06

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
RollingFreak
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
Aquamarine
No he shouldn't.

Next daft proposal!

Yes he should. It would be the noble thing to do. He could still guest and do his two songs per show.
If Keith wasn't playing great this tour, I might agree with you. Actually, I probably wouldn't because you can't have the Stones without Keith, but your argument would be stronger if he sucked this tour. But sorry, he kicked ass and I have more fun seeing him have fun and kick ass than anyone else on stage. The guy has been through it all and he really is the coolest rock star out there. If he can still play like this, he stays in the band:

OK, but what will the so called guitar experts around here say about this? One suggested he could teach a child to play the opening to SMU.

I guess they would say, The Stones cannot expect to pass The Beatles in the all time sweepstakes with Keith at his current level of play.

Date: July 9, 2013 05:39

He got ya Silver Bullet.......

Date: July 9, 2013 05:42

I may have been exaggerating about my granddaughter, but there is absolutely nothing technically daunting about the intro to SMU. Hell, ask Mathjs.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 9, 2013 05:53

From4tilLate
No Keith, no Stones; and it's time for no Stones. That wasn't his scarf! Please. That's a wrong chord. He had one thing to do right all day. ONE THING. The first notes of the first song. That's all he had to do right. After the band came in he could relax. When you're charging that kind of money, when you're getting PAID that kind of money, you DON'T screw up! It's not an option. Scarves are no excuse, age is no excuse, living legend status is no excuse, there ARE no excuses. If you're in that kind of big-time situation, you NAIL IT OR GO HOME. That's the way it is.

I don't really care how Keith plays anymore. I prefer his better efforts of course, but it is what it is.

And yet, he still gives interviews and talks about saving Mick's ass out there on stage.

Odd isn't it? Talk about it not being 1972 anymore, or 1982 or whatever. I guess even the "Keef" interviews, like the shows themselves, are an exercise in nostalgia.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: July 9, 2013 05:57

Cut him some slack, so what if he messed up the opening chords to "Start Me Up" it could happen to anybody.

Date: July 9, 2013 06:01

Floorbird
Cut him some slack, so what if he messed up the opening chords to "Start Me Up" it could happen to anybody.

He seems to do it at various times, at every show. Also, the show opener is an important song for setting the tone. I love him, I would just like him to pay better attention to the super important parts.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 9, 2013 06:04

Thrylan
Floorbird

He seems to do it at various times, at every show. Also, the show opener is an important song for setting the tone. I love him, I would just like him to pay better attention to the super important parts.

sounds like you have a lot to teach him about performing live and playing guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 06:11 by sonomastone.

Date: July 9, 2013 06:15

sonomastone
Thrylan
Floorbird

sounds like you have a lot to teach him about performing live and playing guitar.

Nice.....the funny thing is, I learned everything I know from him, so to speak. I'm not great, but damn, his timing for mistakes is terrible at times.

Posted by: cineplexed2 ()
Date: July 9, 2013 06:16

Ironic post coming now. On the last tour, I would have agreed with your unpopular opinion.

But from what I saw at Barclay Center in December and in many videos of subsequent shows I have watched since, Keith seems much more dedicated and focused than he has in many years.

This is The Stones at 70. It's the reality of the band. Take or leave. But don;t ask them to.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home