Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

70"s compilation viynl album
Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: July 8, 2013 14:59

Hi all,the brother has given me a pristine vinyl copy of "Time waits for no one."I"ve never come across this one before (I live in Dublin)Is it an export album ?I say export because during the 60"s we used to get different 45"s and albums on Decca,for instance Satisfaction with The Under assistant promo man as a b side (it was years before I heard Spider and the fly)"Flowers" was easably available as was "Have you seen your mother live".

Re: 70"s compilation viynl album
Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: July 8, 2013 15:51

I have this collection as well... I think it was issued in 1979 Time Waits for No One, Anthology 1971-1977. This was available on vinyl only (CDC59107) and has never been released on CD.

sjouke

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 8, 2013 16:40

Great cover on that LP. Bands today could learn a thing or two about merch...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 8, 2013 16:44

I believe this was a European only issue, certainly not available in North America.

Cover is neat but one thing I notice on the vinyl version is how thin and cheap both the vinyl and cover are.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 8, 2013 16:49

I forgot about that...that cover was wafer thin...but oh the gloss...

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: July 8, 2013 19:40

treaclefingers
I believe this was a European only issue, certainly not available in North America.

Cover is neat but one thing I notice on the vinyl version is how thin and cheap both the vinyl and cover are.

Well...as long as you place New Zealand somewhere between Crete and Malta it's ok BUT what about Canada? Not nearly half European, is it? winking smiley

It was more a "not released in the US"-thing, but it seems it was released nearly everwhere else in this world.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 8, 2013 19:55

According to it's Wikipedia entry, it was a 'British-only' release. It was evidently released elsewhere too, though. Wherever you could purchase it, however, it's certainly an odd release. We'd already had Made In The Shade and Sucking In The 70's, so why this release I wonder? Unless either of the latter-two mentioned were not global releases?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: July 8, 2013 20:07

Sucking in the 70s was released in 1981, Time Waits For No One in 1979...
But apart from this it was an odd release. Maybe they owed EMI an album per year.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 8, 2013 20:20

silkcut1978

Sucking in the 70s was released in 1981, Time Waits For No One in 1979...
But apart from this it was an odd release. Maybe they owed EMI an album per year.

It was actually a contract filler for WEA hence the COC prefix.
It didn't get a US release because the Stones stayed with Atlantic when they signed to EMI worldwide.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-08 20:27 by Deltics.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 8, 2013 20:25

It`s an European issue ( GB, Germany and ?).
Interesting for collectors: for many years this LP was the only way to get the full lenght version of Time Waits For No One. It`s a few seconds longer with Charlie stopping his drumming. Now released on japanese sacd`s.

Tom

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: July 8, 2013 20:37

I remember that album also had a really nice inner sleeve that was the lips, similar to the one on Sticky Fingers but the "classic" lips (see discussion in the lips logo thread). And this was a big version of the lips but without any writing on them. I remember I traced it one time with tracing paper LOL

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:15

electricmud
It`s an European issue ( GB, Germany and ?).
Interesting for collectors: for many years this LP was the only way to get the full lenght version of Time Waits For No One. It`s a few seconds longer with Charlie stopping his drumming. Now released on japanese sacd`s.

Tom

I've often wondered about that, the full length version. So the LP version is not the full length version? There's one even longer?

Hilarious though is the sound of the beginning and the end - completely different.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:28

@ GasLightStreet: The usual version is a fade out, the longer version is ended by Charlie stopping his drumming. Nothing sensational just different and interesting for collectors.

Tom

Date: July 8, 2013 21:40

electricmud
@ GasLightStreet: The usual version is a fade out, the longer version is ended by Charlie stopping his drumming. Nothing sensational just different and interesting for collectors.

Tom

That's funny. A friend of mine has TWFNO, never noticed the difference.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:56

Not sure how many countries the album was released in but I know not in Canada or the US. My sister bought me a copy in the early 80's when she was in Mexico so I know it was released there!

Date: July 8, 2013 22:01

It was released in Europe only as I recall.

Date: July 8, 2013 22:12

Because of my job I'm away from home this week but I definitely have copies from outside of Europe. Every few years there's talk about this release on this board and I remember that I had a look at my copies the last time when people wrote about it.
One is from New Zealand, one from South America (can't remember which country but most likely Brazil or Argentina). Portugal, Italy + the one from Germany which is on my website (http://vinylstones.org/GERMANY_LPs/Time%20Waits%20For%20No%20One%20v1/album/index.html)

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 9, 2013 03:45

I kind of recall reading that it was a worldwide release except for North America (US and Canada). Not sure why.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 9, 2013 08:50

silkcut1978_
treaclefingers

Well...as long as you place New Zealand somewhere between Crete and Malta it's ok BUT what about Canada? Not nearly half European, is it? winking smiley

It was more a "not released in the US"-thing, but it seems it was released nearly everwhere else in this world.

In America "Europe" means "not USA " - everything is simpler that way.

Date: July 9, 2013 16:37

silkcut1978_
treaclefingers

Can you read? If so, give it a try.
I said I thought it was a Europe-only release, and that I'm reasonably sure it wasn't a North American release. As I'm from Canada (thank you for that inane example), my North America includes Canada too.

I wasn't sure about anywhere else, but my belief was Europe only.

If I didn't happen to pick your part of the world no need to be parochial, that was probably because I didn't know for sure, but as I haven't seen non-European versions of this album myself, I thought it was Europe only.

Does that more detailed explanation help you understand? tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 9, 2013 16:42

silkcut1978_

One is from New Zealand, one from South America (can't remember which country but most likely Brazil or Argentina). Portugal, Italy + the one from Germany which is on my website (http://vinylstones.org/GERMANY_LPs/Time%20Waits%20For%20No%20One%20v1/album/index.html)

This compilation was released in Brazil, too.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 9, 2013 16:49

sonomastone

In America "Europe" means "not USA " - everything is simpler that way.

Believable. It does amaze me that some Americans believe Europe to be a country.

Date: July 9, 2013 17:43

treaclefingers
silkcut1978_
treaclefingers

I said I thought it was a Europe-only release, and that I'm reasonably sure it wasn't a North American release. As I'm from Canada (thank you for that inane example), my North America includes Canada too.

If I didn't happen to pick your part of the world no need to be parochial, that was probably because I didn't know for sure, but as I haven't seen non-European versions of this album myself, I thought it was Europe only.

Does that more detailed explanation help you understand? tongue sticking out smiley

Workin' on it grinning smiley ...yes, I think so - I live in Eurocountry, English is not my first language and I needed LEO for a word like "parochial". And I can take a joke smiling smiley

btw - I still believe that I have a Canadian version (maybe a promo, I can't remember) so I'll have to look next weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-09 17:52 by silkcut1978_.

Date: July 9, 2013 19:44

silkcut1978_
treaclefingers
silkcut1978_
treaclefingers

Workin' on it grinning smiley ...yes, I think so - I live in Eurocountry, English is not my first language and I needed LEO for a word like "parochial". And I can take a joke smiling smiley

btw - I still believe that I have a Canadian version (maybe a promo, I can't remember) so I'll have to look next weekend.

I'm reasonably sure that there isn't a Canadian version, however if you have a promo version of same love to see the scan.

Date: July 9, 2013 21:11

treaclefingers
silkcut1978_
treaclefingers
silkcut1978_
treaclefingers

I'm reasonably sure that there isn't a Canadian version, however if you have a promo version of same love to see the scan.

Maybe I confuse it with a promo of Sucking but I'll be back on Saturday when I'm back home again.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: July 11, 2013 03:14

DGA35
I kind of recall reading that it was a worldwide release except for North America (US and Canada). Not sure why.

Probably copyright/publishing issues. If it's EMI, that label did not have US rights to release/distribute Stones releases in 1979, they probably had the rest of the world, though possibly not Canada (I have one of the Sucking promos with the maple leaf).

It's clearly a contractual obligation compilation album.

Just because it was available in other countries does not necessarily mean it was released or pressed there either (Though EMI was pretty global at that point). The first time I 'saw' this record was in San Jose, California in a record shop in a mall c. 1981/82. It was an import. But I could not/did not buy it. It took many years for me to find or see a copy again.

I believe, like Sucking In The Seventies, it contains alternate/single mixes/edits/versions of the tracks. The TWFNO versions without the fade out may have been from the TWFNO promo single that was issued, but I have never owned that so I can't tell.

J

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2485
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home