Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT (partly): Rank your favourite 60s psychedelic albums
Date: July 4, 2013 00:35

Big Al
Edward Twining
Also, is the Stones 'Ruby Tuesday' for example, psychedelic?

No, Ruby Tuesday belongs to that late '65 to early '67 period where everything was particularly English in composition and theme.

That´s too easy, imo. Now you´re talking solely about the psychedelic culture, not about innovative music-making. That recorder could have been on lots of psychedelic albums, musically, don´t you think?

I know Buttons is very, very english-sounding. However, there are hints of what to come on that album, too, imo.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 4, 2013 00:38

DandelionPowderman
stonehearted
DandelionPowderman
Now, tell me why Walter, Wicked Annabelle and the bridge in the otherwise reggae-flavoured Monica aren´t psychedelia.

Here's why: Because in Ray's own words, "Really, I'm quite a traditionalist".

Here's an observation from someone (Jason Gross) online:

Other than the eye-popping cover and centerfold, Ray's only flirting with psychedelic music was a run-in with the cat from ALICE IN WONDERLAND and a "wicked witch" but these were more little kid's games than freaked-out turn-on's.

Full review of VGPS and other Kinks albums at: [www.furious.com]

I know that, I´ve been listening to this album for a long time now - as well as reading everything I can come over about it.

But what happens when YOU listen to the music - for instance to Wicked Annabelle?

Nothing psychedelic--although I did once listen to Something Else on shrooms, which I played after a Syd Barrett/Pink Floyd set.... it was something else, I'll tell ya!

Date: July 4, 2013 00:42

LOL! And why did you choose that song? grinning smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 4, 2013 00:42

Edward Twining
I was referring more to the sex and drugs and rock 'n' roll culture in 68, instigated chiefly by the hippies, Dandelion, as opposed to the psychedelic summer of love in 1967, which again was very much the hippy counterculure reaction to what was going on around them. Either way, THE VILLAGE GREEN PRESERVATION SOCIETY, is too simplistic in its longing for old fashioned values, and its themes of nostalgia and loss of innocence, to be influenced overtly by psychedelia, certainly lyrically, and perhaps musically. It is interesting, what you have brought up, however, Dandelion, as to what the true relationship is between 60s music hall influenced pop and psychedelia, because both the Beatles SGT PEPPER and the Stones SATANIC MAJESTIES, contain strong elements of both. Is for example 'When I'm 64' and 'On With The Show' psychedelic? I would say not, despite standing alongside more psychedelically inspired tracks. In a sense, i do see your point. However, my definition of psychedelia has always been that it is music and/or lyrics that are drug influenced. 'Armenia City In The Sky' and 'I Can See For Miles' by the Who, i would say, definitely are, if also large portions of THE WHO SELL OUT are not. Also, is the Stones 'Ruby Tuesday' for example, psychedelic?

To me, it is not drug references in themselves that make some music psychdelic or not. In my understanding, it is rather some kind of not so easily defined, may I say, "quirkiness" about the "sound picture" and possibly also about the "melody structure".

Date: July 4, 2013 00:57

Witness
Edward Twining
I was referring more to the sex and drugs and rock 'n' roll culture in 68, instigated chiefly by the hippies, Dandelion, as opposed to the psychedelic summer of love in 1967, which again was very much the hippy counterculure reaction to what was going on around them. Either way, THE VILLAGE GREEN PRESERVATION SOCIETY, is too simplistic in its longing for old fashioned values, and its themes of nostalgia and loss of innocence, to be influenced overtly by psychedelia, certainly lyrically, and perhaps musically. It is interesting, what you have brought up, however, Dandelion, as to what the true relationship is between 60s music hall influenced pop and psychedelia, because both the Beatles SGT PEPPER and the Stones SATANIC MAJESTIES, contain strong elements of both. Is for example 'When I'm 64' and 'On With The Show' psychedelic? I would say not, despite standing alongside more psychedelically inspired tracks. In a sense, i do see your point. However, my definition of psychedelia has always been that it is music and/or lyrics that are drug influenced. 'Armenia City In The Sky' and 'I Can See For Miles' by the Who, i would say, definitely are, if also large portions of THE WHO SELL OUT are not. Also, is the Stones 'Ruby Tuesday' for example, psychedelic?

To me, it is not drug references in themselves that make some music psychdelic or not. In my understanding, it is rather some kind of not so easily defined, may I say, "quirkiness" about the "sound picture" and possibly also about the "melody structure".

Indeed it is!

There are even archtypical psychedelic scales and melody lines.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 4, 2013 00:58

Witness

I do agree, actually. I think in my earlier posts I was perhaps too tied-up in the culture, but it's the music too that plays such a vital role. A psychedelic recording to me, is one which has a unique landscape of sounds, off-the-wall lyrics and, often, but not always, irregular rhythmic sequences. I like your use of the word 'quirkiness' That aptly sums up much of Barrett-era Floyd. Listen to Bike, for instance.

Date: July 4, 2013 01:04

Big Al
Witness

I do agree, actually. I think in my earlier posts I was perhaps too tied-up in the culture, but it's the music too that plays such a vital role. A psychedelic recording to me, is one which has a unique landscape of sounds, off-the-wall lyrics and, often, but not always, irregular rhythmic sequences. I like your use of the word 'quirkiness' That aptly sums up much of Barrett-era Floyd. Listen to Bike, for instance.

thumbs up (how could I forget that one?)

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 4, 2013 01:06

DandelionPowderman

The album Something Else, you mean? I thought it would follow a Syd Barrett set nicely enough, what with its child-like whimsy and odd music hall atmosphere. The Barrett stuff just drenches one's head in an explosive tapestry of disjointed imagery, as if you're mind is going to split apart at the seams and spill out onto the floor at any moment, whereas the Kinks album had more of an oddly soothing and stabilizing effect, not so out there really but a good place to immerse your head nonetheless. VGPS has always struck me as more akin with English folk music than with psychedelia--Death Of A Clown more closely approaches the latter than, say, Mr. Big Sky.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 4, 2013 01:29

Thrylan
They couldn't record Beggars Banquet soon enough......

I don't consider Hendrix psychedelic...... he dabbled, but always came back to blues.

So Purple Haze and Are You Experienced and 3rd Stone From the Sun doesn't qualify? If that's the case, then nothing posted on this thread qualifies.

Date: July 4, 2013 02:49

It's different what people call psychedelic, but...
Tyrannosaurus Rex - I'd pick any of their 4 albums "My People were Fair...", "Prophets Seers Sages...", "Unicorn" or "Beard of Stars"

Janis Joplin "Cheap Thrills" - a rockin album

Blue Cheer "Vincebus Eruptum"

Quicksilver Messenger Service "Happy Trails" - a very good album, or "Shady Grove" - this one not as strong, but featuring our own Nicky Hopkins

"The Seeds" by the Seeds

something by Rare Earth

"Ogdens Nut.." by Small Faces

"SF Sorrow" by Pretty Things

"Days of Future Passed", "On the Threshold of a Dream" by Moody Blues

"Traffic" or "Heavens in your Mind" by Traffic

Some of the VERY early Yes albums

"Space Ritual" or "Hall of the Mountain Grill" by Hawkwind

something by Standells, Sonics, Zombies.
early Jefferson Airplane like "After Bathing @ Baxter's". But the only good album by JA for me is the live "Bless it's pointed little Head".
Anything by Hendrix of course. And by Love

I myself much prefer UK psychedelia; with Fairport Convention, String Band, the Move, Hawkwind.

For something really crazy go with Os Mutantes from Brazil; now that is some wacked sh*t.

Date: July 4, 2013 05:38

Palace Revolution 2000
It's different what people call psychedelic, but...

"Ogdens Nut.." by Small Faces

It certainly is, as I would put Odgen's Nut Gone Flake in a similar category to that of the Kinks' Village Green Preservation Society. I.E. very English and incredibly eccentric.

Date: July 4, 2013 06:28

the kinks have some songs that might fall into this category a bit but not an entire album. i think dandelionpowderman is mistaking the kinks brit pop period that had elements of baroque music for psychedelic music.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: July 4, 2013 07:08

The Who Sell Out
After Bathing at Baxter's
Winds of Change
Axis: Bold as Love
Wheels of Fire
Animals
Absolutely Free
Sunshine Superman
and finally...
Their Satanic Majesties Second Request (not from the '60's)
[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-04 07:08 by josepi.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 4, 2013 07:15

BluzDude
Thrylan
They couldn't record Beggars Banquet soon enough......

I don't consider Hendrix psychedelic...... he dabbled, but always came back to blues.

So Purple Haze and Are You Experienced and 3rd Stone From the Sun doesn't qualify? If that's the case, then nothing posted on this thread qualifies.

Third Stone, absolutely, PH & AYE, half and half, but Manic Depression and I Don't Live Today jam too hard, IMO. I can only do psychedelia in small doses, too much Keith in me.

Date: July 4, 2013 08:38

keefriffhard4life
the kinks have some songs that might fall into this category a bit but not an entire album. i think dandelionpowderman is mistaking the kinks brit pop period that had elements of baroque music for psychedelic music.

As an old piano player, I would never do that smiling smiley

I'm talking of elements of it in many songs, that make the references quite strong thruout the album.

Date: July 4, 2013 09:03

Perhaps a nocturne then?

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 4, 2013 09:07

Witness

Yes. Spot on Witness. That's what i was trying to say, but in a not very articulate way. It has something to do with taking the listener beyond his/her normal sensory experience, as in relation perhaps to the effects that an LSD trip may give you, for example, but without going through the drug taking aspect. It also inspiried much greater use of the musical technology, as in experimentation with various different and sometimes diverse, musical elements, within the song structure, etc. There were also a lot of unusual vocal experiments, and more elaborate harmonies at times, too. Lyrically, i would say Bob Dylan influenced psychedelia, with songs like 'Mr Tambourine Man', and many of his other surreal sounding song lyrics. The musical side of the equation was taken up by many of the other artists, as the soundscape grew ever larger. A song like the Beatles 'Rain', i would say, is a great example, of a relatively early psychedelic song - where the drums are being recorded backwards, and Lennon's vocal and lyric seems rather hazy and ambiguous.

Date: July 4, 2013 09:29

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life

As an old piano player, I would never do that smiling smiley

I'm talking of elements of it in many songs, that make the references quite strong thruout the album.

whatever the reason though i hear songs or parts of kinks songs not entire albums. i love "misty water" though

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: July 4, 2013 09:35

I will also add the Beatles' "Magical Mystery Tour" to the list. Even if it originally isn't an album (a double-EP).
You can't find a better psycehedelic song than I'm the Walrus, can you?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 4, 2013 09:44

1. The Pretty Things - SF Sorrow
2. Love - Forever Changes
3. The Beatles - Revolver
4. The Zombies - Oddessey & Oracle
5. The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request
6. Donovan - Sunshine Superman
7. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis Bold As Love
8. The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - Vol 2
9. Human Beinz - Emotions
10. The Who - Sell Out

Date: July 4, 2013 09:51

I think some of these choices,(no post in particular) I would classify as "concept" rather than "psychedelic." Of course, some are both.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 4, 2013 09:54

Few of you will know this group - Pearls Before Swine

Their first and second albums could be considered psychedelic.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: July 4, 2013 10:10

The Amboy Dukes : Journey To The Center Of Our Minds.
You can't go wrong with verses like "why is an orange more orange than an orange, why are you greener than green"

The Moody Blues : To Our Children's Children's Children : "Higher..."

Eric Burdon and the New Animals : Love is, Everyone Of Us and The Twain Shall Meet

Rolling Stones : the obvious one

(and I don't like Stg. Peppers, but love Revolver ...)

Resotele

Date: July 4, 2013 11:54

Bliss
Few of you will know this group - Pearls Before Swine

Their first and second albums could be considered psychedelic.

I have them both. I'd class them as psychedelic heroin music!

Date: July 4, 2013 11:59

I think we have different perceptions of what pshychelic music is.

For me, the pop-ish psychedlia-flavoured british stuff is what I think of first - rather than the very experimental stuff, which is a given in this context, imo.

Here is a song from an album on my list. It is very british 60s pop indeed, but the melody, the instrumentation and phrasing is very psychedelic to my ears:

STATUS QUO: ANTIQUE ANGELIQUE

Another one from the same album:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-04 12:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 4, 2013 14:16

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman

The album Something Else, you mean? I thought it would follow a Syd Barrett set nicely enough, what with its child-like whimsy and odd music hall atmosphere. The Barrett stuff just drenches one's head in an explosive tapestry of disjointed imagery, as if you're mind is going to split apart at the seams and spill out onto the floor at any moment, whereas the Kinks album had more of an oddly soothing and stabilizing effect, not so out there really but a good place to immerse your head nonetheless. VGPS has always struck me as more akin with English folk music than with psychedelia--Death Of A Clown more closely approaches the latter than, say, Mr. Big Sky.

Love this description stonehearted. Something Else has some very psychy moments particularly Lazy Old Sun which Dave Gilmore appropriated for Floyd's Fat Old Sun. And Love Me Till The Sun Shines.

Posted by: Des ()
Date: July 4, 2013 18:31

I think we miss a classic:

Tripping was not new but no album hit it home like Cream's D Gears, arguably the introduction of metal, three guys playing different songs at the same time (John Mayals words), musical madness, long songs to fill the LSD time distortion.....ahhhh the memories tripping out with a serious edge!!!!!

Date: July 4, 2013 18:42

I don't think one can use LSD state as a guideline to psychedelia.
On acid EVERYTHING was heavy and involved, haha..
So if it was some wild Mellotron excursion through the rainbow, or the Archies doing "Sugar" - it was all equally revealing. "Patterns, man..."

Date: July 4, 2013 19:08

Wow, Dandelion, those Quo tracks are terrific!

Posted by: FreejackPL ()
Date: July 4, 2013 19:44

It is very hard to choose only few. I love almost all that was mentioned earlier. But few below also can't be missed:
- Andwella's Dream - Love and poetry
- Kaleidoscope - Tangerine Dream
- 13th Floor Elevator - Psychodelic sound of
- Bokaj Retsiem - Psychodelic underground
- Day Of Phoenix - Wide open N-way
- The End - Introspection
- Eyes Of Blue - Crossroads of time
- Felt - Felt
- Group 1850 - ParadiseNow
- H.P. Lovecraft
- Locomotive - We are everything You see
- Open Mind - Open mind
and mamy many more...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1655
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home