Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ronnie's guitar sound on this tour-YCAGWYW Glasto
Date: July 1, 2013 09:39

Isn't the sound Ronnie had on his brilliant lead on YCAGWYW at Glasto very similar to Taylor's sound back in the day?

Taylor could use that fat tone on Rambler, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-01 10:08 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Ronnie's guitar sound on this tour
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 1, 2013 09:45

I thought the same as well especially on YCAGWYW

Woods solo reminded me of his solo on LYL

But that was really the only song that reminded me of anything 'old school'

Great acoustic sound on Silver!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: Ronnie's guitar sound on this tour
Date: July 1, 2013 09:49

Is Silver at Glasto available anywhere - haven't seen it??

Or do you mean in general on this tour?

Re: Ronnie's guitar sound on this tour-YCAGWYW Glasto
Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 1, 2013 11:45

delete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-01 11:47 by svt22.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: July 1, 2013 11:49

Ronnie' s guitar playing has definitely improved.

Date: July 1, 2013 12:11

DandelionPowderman
Isn't the sound Ronnie had on his brilliant lead on YCAGWYW at Glasto very similar to Taylor's sound back in the day?

Taylor could use that fat tone on Rambler, imo.

DandelionPowderman

I dindn't hear this recent YCAGWYW version, and although the word brillant doesn't come to my mind when I hear Ron, I would compliment him cause he finally nails Taylor's sound after 39 years.

As for Taylor: If you want to hear his fat tone and best playing, forget about this tour.
Either he isn't capable anymore for whatever reasons, or he doesn't give a shit about it. Probably both. He seems to have fun though.

Date: July 1, 2013 12:17

Ronnie's lead was indeed beautiful. As for Taylor, it seems he could at least use a bit more distortion, don't you think?

Date: July 1, 2013 12:31

DandelionPowderman
Ronnie's lead was indeed beautiful. As for Taylor, it seems he could at least use a bit more distortion, don't you think?

Absolutely, but his playing skills have diminished drastically. I cannot make myself listen to him anymore - only some of his recent moments. That goes for the entire band actually, although it's great to see that Ron and Keith are sober, and the fans as well as the Stones are still enjoying themselves. smiling smiley

Date: July 1, 2013 13:05

Here you can hear him on CYHMK, if you manage to ignore the reporter, that is smiling smiley

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 2, 2013 09:22

Ronnie is really excellent on this tour. And, in addition, i think he did very good job during the bigger part of ABB's tour, covering well Keith when he had problems. Hey, don't forget, was Ronnie the guy who made "Streets Of Love" be sounded much better live (just my opinion)...

I think Ronnie's weak "part" in the last 10 years was the european leg of Licks Tour. Just listen to his solo on YCAGWYW from Twicks gig (Four Flicks DVD). Every Ronnie's solo, on the same song, during the current tour is 10 times better, atleast. And that's not the only difference, of course. His whole playing is much better. We could guess that he's sober and more healthy, now.

Date: July 2, 2013 10:20

He also had a dreadful sound on the Licks tour, partly on the BB-tour as well.

The Les Paul was a wise move for this tour, imo.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 2, 2013 11:25

svt22
DandelionPowderman

Absolutely, but his playing skills have diminished drastically. I cannot make myself listen to him anymore - only some of his recent moments. That goes for the entire band actually, although it's great to see that Ron and Keith are sober, and the fans as well as the Stones are still enjoying themselves. smiling smiley

Yes, possibly Ronnie was the star at Glastonbury. The feeling i got from the show is that we've seen the Stones play at the pretty much the peak of their powers, or at least seen them make the maximum effort they are prepared to put in, at this period in their career, where there was a more conscious effort being made for the tv audience to be a little more meticulous in their playing. However, i still feel with the exception of Ronnie, Charlie, and perhaps Jagger some of the time, the backing band contributed so very vitally, perhaps more than the band themselves at times, and especially Darly. I'm not sure it was one of Keith's best performances overall, although he had his moments, and like has been said previously, Mick Taylor seems woefully inconsistent. Those flashes of greatness from Taylor can often transcend a Stones performance so effectively, but when Taylor doesn't quite make it, it can result in great disappointment, and perhaps cast a shadow on the rest of the band's performance, even if they are playing better than usual, simply because the anticipation is there, that Taylor hasn't quite managed to fulfill. That of course, applies more to some of those who have followed the band over the longer period, the diehard fans, so to speak. I don't think that many of the Glastonbury crowd would quite see it like that.

I quite liked the performance of '2000 Light Years From Home' myself. That and a number of the other songs i could happily watch again. I also liked Ronnie's nod in 'Sympathy For The Devil' to the 69 arrangement of the song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-02 11:28 by Edward Twining.

Date: July 2, 2013 11:39

Edward Twining
svt22
DandelionPowderman

Yes, possibly Ronnie was the star at Glastonbury. The feeling i got from the show is that we've seen the Stones play at the pretty much the peak of their powers, or at least seen them make the maximum effort they are prepared to put in, at this period in their career, where there was a more conscious effort being made for the tv audience to be a little more meticulous in their playing. However, i still feel with the exception of Ronnie, Charlie, and perhaps Jagger some of the time, the backing band contributed so very vitally, perhaps more than the band themselves at times, and especially Darly. I'm not sure it was one of Keith's best performances overall, although he had his moments, and like has been said previously, Mick Taylor seems woefully inconsistent. Those flashes of greatness from Taylor can often transcend a Stones performance so effectively, but when Taylor doesn't quite make it, it can result in great disappointment, and perhaps cast a shadow on the rest of the band's performance, even if they are playing better than usual, simply because the anticipation is there, that Taylor hasn't quite managed to fulfill. That of course, applies more to some of those who have followed the band over the longer period, the diehard fans, so to speak. I don't think that many of the Glastonbury crowd would quite see it like that.

I quite liked the performance of '2000 Light Years From Home' myself. That and a number of the other songs i could happily watch again. I also liked Ronnie's nod in 'Sympathy For The Devil' to the 69 arrangement of the song.

I think you basically nailed it very well. winking smiley

I was quite surprised by the splendid piano parts on 2000LY btw, I think the Stones owe this player a lot. The guy played brilliant, he lifted the song to a higher level.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 2, 2013 11:42

svt22
Edward Twining
svt22
DandelionPowderman

I think you basically nailed it very well. winking smiley

I was quite surprised by the splendid piano parts on 2000LY btw, I think the Stones owe this player a lot. The guy played brilliant, he lifted the song to a higher level.

i can't tell if you're joking or baiting us....

Date: July 2, 2013 11:44

I think the "nod" in Sympathy actually is Keith, Edward. On all gigs this tour, he has been playing a portion, more precisely the beginning notes, of the Ya Yas-riff on the verses between his two solos - and maybe on the verse prior to his first solo.

Or were you thinking about the G and E-string licks that Ronnie does? I think that is standard procedure for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-02 11:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: July 2, 2013 11:46

It remind me to Milano 2006..... absolotuly the best solo in YCAGWYW I´ve listen in my life... go Ronnie, gooooo

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 2, 2013 12:24

DandelionPowderman

Ronnie's use of the Les Paul gave him a nice fat rich tone to play with and that really gave that Glasto YCAGWYW a real touch of elegance. Ronnie was in truly rare form in that moment. It wouldn't have gone nearly so well if he'd used the Strat, where it would have sounded thin and flat for that tune, which somehow demands the majestic fullness of a Gibson.

But I don't agree that Taylor would benefit from more distortion. Playing clean soaring lines has always been Taylor's thing, and I would think that too much distortion would cloud the melody of Taylor's lead runs--like the playout of CYHMK, just let him do those clear jazzy dips and rises a la Mike Bloomfield on East-West. Too much distortion in a moment like that would be like slathering an eagle with BP oil and expecting it to appear graceful and it glides and swoops about.

Posted by: thatbird ()
Date: July 2, 2013 12:36

Love RW's tone and playing since I don't know when. Would love to see exactly how he gets his lead boosts, who's stomping the pedal back there....Dreadful, though? GTFOH, that is just stupid.

Date: July 2, 2013 14:02

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman

Ronnie's use of the Les Paul gave him a nice fat rich tone to play with and that really gave that Glasto YCAGWYW a real touch of elegance. Ronnie was in truly rare form in that moment. It wouldn't have gone nearly so well if he'd used the Strat, where it would have sounded thin and flat for that tune, which somehow demands the majestic fullness of a Gibson.

But I don't agree that Taylor would benefit from more distortion. Playing clean soaring lines has always been Taylor's thing, and I would think that too much distortion would cloud the melody of Taylor's lead runs--like the playout of CYHMK, just let him do those clear jazzy dips and rises a la Mike Bloomfield on East-West. Too much distortion in a moment like that would be like slathering an eagle with BP oil and expecting it to appear graceful and it glides and swoops about.

I think DP is merely referring to Taylor's lack of fluidity or even sustain, although the second is not really the problem. I like the comparison you make with Bloomfield on East West. Taylor and the Stones must have been inspired by Bloomfield's versions at the time they were recording CYHMN, although Taylor didn't pick up Bloomfield's use of the minor harmonic scale there. A pity actually. Mike B -God bless him- didn't do his homework when was using that scale on various versions of East-West, although his vibe was great.

Date: July 2, 2013 14:08

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman

Those "clean" lines have always been heavily distorted. It's his way of playing that made them clean.

And Ronnie had just as fat of a tone in 1975, with the Strat.

This is a combo of many things: The guitar player's touch, the amp settings, the type of amp, the guitar, the effects as well as the sound mix.

If it was as easy as picking the right guitar and amp/amp settings, this would be very easy smiling smiley

Date: July 2, 2013 14:23

Here it is, from 51:53

If one likes it is a matter of taste, but his tone should be undisputable.

I'm not necessarily talking fluidity, rather sustain, thickness and warmness. It's very similar to the 1973 Taylor tone, imo.

Date: July 4, 2013 20:46

DandelionPowderman
Here it is, from 51:53

If one likes it is a matter of taste, but his tone should be undisputable.

I'm not necessarily talking fluidity, rather sustain, thickness and warmness. It's very similar to the 1973 Taylor tone, imo.

It's the sound of a Les Paul with a lot of overdrive, nothing wrong with that, they sound great, are built for sustain, thickness and warmness, but it's miles away from Taylor's sublime tone in '73. There is no comparison at all, imo. Taylor made a Les Paul sound like Taylor.

Date: July 5, 2013 00:01

The thread title refers to the SOUND, and Taylor could use that sound to get his touch back. He has to work much harder to keep both fluidity and tone with the more spikey sound he has today, imo.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: July 5, 2013 00:22

On the Rambler youtube vid from Glasto, I kept thinking that Taylors guitar almost sounded like a very clean Tele. When playing a Les Paul, that's not really optimal. Rons Lester sound much fuller, heavier and richer. Even Keith with the Les Paul Jr. has a much fatter sound, and that's with P90 pickups. Taylor really should consider using an amp of lower wattage to get a little more tube-drive, or use a boost/overdrive pedal. I guess they don't crank the amps like they did or had to in the old days.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-05 00:24 by audun-eg.

Date: July 5, 2013 00:30

He uses a Blues Driver, but he could use more distortion from it, imo.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: July 5, 2013 00:41

DandelionPowderman
He uses a Blues Driver, but he could use more distortion from it, imo.
Wouldn't hurt at all.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: July 5, 2013 01:08

DandelionPowderman
The thread title refers to the SOUND, and Taylor could use that sound to get his touch back. He has to work much harder to keep both fluidity and tone with the more spikey sound he has today, imo.

That's right, but you also state that Ron's recent sound comes close to Taylor's sound in '73. I disagree on that. Ron makes a Les Paul sound like a Les Paul.
Taylor made a Les Paul sound like Taylor. These days both Ron and Taylor make a Les Paul sound like a Les Paul, regardless the adjustments. A complex world, isn't it? winking smiley

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: July 5, 2013 01:21

Those commenting on the 'cleanness' of Taylor's settings are correct. It's somewhere between Ronnie's ball-less sound through the '90s and Taylor's own sound of '72-'73. His style hasn't changed that much, and it does beg for a little more sustain and thickness. Sounds OK as is, and maybe it's his own choice. Remember, he used to be fighting Keith's rhythm, which was more thick and distorted in its own right, and his playing was in your face. Maybe for this tour someone thought a lighter touch for MT would be more appropriate. I disagree, but I see how they could have come up with that.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: July 5, 2013 01:37

Even though close to the original melody of the solo in FactoryBury Girl, I thought Woody's solo was very ala Faces period. Early Wood style, that particular solo is just one that is tailor made for him. OP, I love YCAGWW solo too. LYL and the Knebworth 76 versions are two more that I dig that Ronnie rocks.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 5, 2013 02:12

From the youtube videos I've seen, Mick Taylor's sound is similar to his guitar sound during his solo shows, i.e. a Les Paul sound but not with that snarl of 1973. I don't think it's tailor made ('scuse the pun) specifically for this tour, but what do I know. It just ain't 1973 anymore. There simply aren't any dimed Ampeg stacks on stage no longer, although Mick T should certainly be able to get close to that sound by cranking the VT-40 he supposedly uses on stage.

Even on Plundered My Soul, you can hear that Mick T sounds slightly different from what he used to do back in the day.

On a sidenote -- I hate that terrible solo Keith does on Satisfaction at Glastonbury. He has energy, I'll give him that, but bleah! They should give Mick T his Les Paul back and have him play his ol' 1969 Satisfaction solo instead.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1964
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home