Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Glastonbury 2013 - Historical Perspective
Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: June 30, 2013 09:14

Where are we going to place this performance in the Stones history? Where will it be ranked? Is this another Rio (big crowd etc) or does it have a milestone significance, perhaps a latter day Hyde Park? Or is it, in reality, just another performance by the Rolling Stones?

Re: Glastonbury 2013 - Historical Perspective
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 30, 2013 09:22

Just another, or really, just like going home, where they return to a stadium format, and just kill it?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 30, 2013 10:30

I'd say it's like a latter day Hyde Park '69. Important one for sure. Goes in the same league as Rio I guess.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: June 30, 2013 15:10

More like a latter day Knebworth I'd say.

Surely next week is gonna be more like a latter day Hyde Park?

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: June 30, 2013 15:15

It easily ranks as the best performance of the 2012-13 era and possibly among their Top 5 best performances over the past 25 years.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: June 30, 2013 15:47

StonedInTokyo
It easily ranks as the best performance of the 2012-13 era and possibly among their Top 5 best performances over the past 25 years.

Absolutely not!
After Echoplex I saw the first 7 shows in the US and 3 of them are better; 2nd Staples, San Jose and Anaheim 2nd.
The excitement was very nice this time, the total experience was great even watching it simultaneously on my big screen with good sound over the stereo. Choice of songs surprised with Factory Girl and 2000 Light Years From Home but...that's 2 songs. Nice they did CYHMK but we could expect that.
They f.cked up MR when compared to the US shows and SMU, TD & BS were trainwrecks...BS got better as did Satisfaction but that one wasn't 'good' also...SFTD was all Chuck & DJ & CW... Doing a few good licks doesn't make a great performance to me.
Would love to hear the first half because two of my children were there and called me today saying the second half was better... just want to check their ears and RS education..confused smiley

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: June 30, 2013 17:26

This will be a significant performance in Stones history. They came home and played for an audience in which as least half the people had never seen them live. The crowd seemed to be pumped. The younger crowd will respect what they saw out there yesterday. the British press seemed to feel the Stones put on a tremendous performance. Keep rockin boys.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 30, 2013 17:30

Definitely a milestone, they really seemed to be enjoying their return to massive crowds too, that's where they belong...they could probably net as much if they played in stadiums at "reasonable" prices rather than arenas at ridiculous prices...

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: June 30, 2013 18:32

Have there ever before been any band at 70years of age dragging that many and that many young people to any event?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 30, 2013 18:34

Haha, dunno, other than the Pope nothing comes to mind ;-)

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: June 30, 2013 18:41

Steen G
Have there ever before been any band at 70years of age dragging that many and that many young people to any event?

I agree it was very, very special...but the tickets were already sold out months BEFORE anybody could know the Stones would play.

Date: June 30, 2013 20:04

BlackHat
Where are we going to place this performance in the Stones history? Where will it be ranked? Is this another Rio (big crowd etc) or does it have a milestone significance, perhaps a latter day Hyde Park? Or is it, in reality, just another performance by the Rolling Stones?

No, this isn't just another performance by the Rolling Stones. And, yes, it has milestone significance. How could it not have? To perform at this level, at this age, to this crowd, at this venue, is huge. This will go down as one of the greatest and most significant performances in the history of the Rolling Stones. To win over a whole new generation of music fans at 70 years of age is quite a remarkable achievement.

Date: June 30, 2013 20:08

JumpingKentFlash
I'd say it's like a latter day Hyde Park '69. Important one for sure. Goes in the same league as Rio I guess.

This is more significant than Rio. Rio was over seven years ago.

Date: June 30, 2013 20:34

gotdablouse
Definitely a milestone, they really seemed to be enjoying their return to massive crowds too, that's where they belong...they could probably net as much if they played in stadiums at "reasonable" prices rather than arenas at ridiculous prices...

Maybe stadiums are not so bad after all?

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 30, 2013 20:40

Dreamer
Steen G

I agree it was very, very special...but the tickets were already sold out months BEFORE anybody could know the Stones would play.

It is true to say it was sold out months before. However, Glastonbury has several stages at least two of which are able to hold tens if not hundreds of thousands. The BBC commentators said that the crowd for the stones was bigger than for any headline ever before. In fact, the crowd had burst out the designated area and backing up a long way beyond the boundaries.

So just because you are in Glastonbury does not mean you have to see the stones. However, the vast majority did.

Date: June 30, 2013 21:00

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
JumpingKentFlash

It's more significant because 7 years have passed? By that yardstick Altamont is less significant than Washington Verizon Center some days ago. Strange logic.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 30, 2013 21:19

I've got it between, the moon landing and the Berlin Wall.....

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: June 30, 2013 21:28

I don't want to sound silly or like a dopey fanboy, but this was truly a historic performance.

When the Stones history is finally written (god only knows when that will be after last night as the Stones are going nowhere except back on tour and into the studio) this show will rank up there with their greatest and most important shows.

Simply mind blowing that 70 year old men could bring that type of energy and swagger...It's a cliche, but the Rolling Stones TRULY were the "Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World" last night...Who would have thought that back in the 60's or 70's in the year 2013 the Stones would be the biggest band in the world? Hell, who among us would have thought that only a year ago when we were all saying they were too old and Keith can't cut it anymore?

A historic performance last night by the Stones that was so powerful it may very well springboard them into the next part of their career #AMAZING!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-30 21:29 by James Kirk.

Date: June 30, 2013 21:30

JumpingKentFlash
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
JumpingKentFlash

It's more significant because 7 years have passed? By that yardstick Altamont is less significant than Washington Verizon Center some days ago. Strange logic.

Stop playing dumb. You know exactly what I am saying here. It's the fact that they are over seven years older today than then. What they did in 2006 was remarkable but this is even more remarkable. They were old by rock 'n roll standards in 2006, but to come back and perform at an arguably even higher level in 2013 is part of what makes it so significant. The other part is the venue and the audience of last night. Rio was significant mainly because of the size of the audience.

Date: June 30, 2013 21:34

James Kirk
I don't want to sound silly or like a dopey fanboy, but this was truly a historic performance.

When the Stones history is finally written (god only knows when that will be after last night as the Stones are going nowhere except back on tour and into the studio) this show will rank up there with their greatest and most important shows.

Simply mind blowing that 70 year old men could bring that type of energy and swagger...It's a cliche, but the Rolling Stones TRULY were the "Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World" last night...Who would have thought that back in the 60's or 70's in the year 2013 the Stones would be the biggest band in the world? Hell, who among us would have thought that only a year ago when we were all saying they were too old and Keith can't cut it anymore?

A historic performance last night by the Stones that was so powerful it may very well springboard them into the next part of their career #AMAZING!

Exactly, but don't forget the significance of the event and the young audience in attendance. Maybe stadium shows are not so bad after all?

Date: June 30, 2013 21:34

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
JumpingKentFlash
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
JumpingKentFlash

Stop playing dumb. You know exactly what I am saying here. It's the fact that they are over seven years older today than then. What they did in 2006 was remarkable but this is even more remarkable. They were old by rock 'n roll standards in 2006, but to come back and perform at an arguably even higher level in 2013 is part of what makes it so significant. The other part is the venue and the audience of last night. Rio was significant mainly because of the size of the audience.

Does it really surprise you that they upped the ante? They do that every time.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 30, 2013 21:43

one of the great things about this was the generally youthful audience (of course, there were tons of older people too). how great to see people in their teens and twenties, high on something or other, or maybe not, just letting it all out and rocking out to music that was designed for that.

that obviously fed the Stones too, the youthful energy and vitality in that field must have been absolutely amazing.

Date: June 30, 2013 21:45

JumpingKentFlash
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
JumpingKentFlash
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
JumpingKentFlash

Does it really surprise you that they upped the ante? They do that every time.

I would say they are performing as good as 2003 on this tour and better than ABB. Of course some would argue otherwise. The venue and the audience last night combined with their age made this a historically significant event in the history of the Rolling Stones. They are winning over the younger generation of music fans. That's why they should seize the moment and hit the studio and produce a new album. Timing is everything.

Date: June 30, 2013 21:51

peoplewitheyes
one of the great things about this was the generally youthful audience (of course, there were tons of older people too). how great to see people in their teens and twenties, high on something or other, or maybe not, just letting it all out and rocking out to music that was designed for that.

that obviously fed the Stones too, the youthful energy and vitality in that field must have been absolutely amazing.

I can't wait until we get the '50 and Counting DVD. Should be at least four discs with all the high points of this tour.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 30, 2013 21:53

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
peoplewitheyes

I can't wait until we get the '50 and Counting DVD. Should be at least four discs with all the high points of this tour.

Best tour ever?

Date: June 30, 2013 22:04

Max'sKansasCity
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
peoplewitheyes

Best tour ever?

I will leave that up to the so called experts.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 30, 2013 22:06

smoking smiley

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: June 30, 2013 22:17

What's with this misconception that this performance is something historical because of the audience. You guys act like the majority of the people in the crowd had absolutely no idea who The Stones are. Were they playing to a bunch of 1 year olds? Plenty of "old" acts have played at the festival over the years. Paul McCartney, The Who, Leonard Cohen, Iggy & The Stooges, John Fogerty, Brian Wilson, Van Morrison, James Brown, Rod Stewart, B.B. King, Paul Simon, and many more. The Stones are always playing to young people. EVERYONE knows who they are. They are the most mainstream rock band of all time. It's nonsense to say it was a special concert because there were young people in the audience.

Date: June 30, 2013 22:29

GumbootCloggeroo
What's with this misconception that this performance is something historical because of the audience. You guys act like the majority of the people in the crowd had absolutely no idea who The Stones are. Were they playing to a bunch of 1 year olds? Plenty of "old" acts have played at the festival over the years. Paul McCartney, The Who, Leonard Cohen, Iggy & The Stooges, John Fogerty, Brian Wilson, Van Morrison, James Brown, Rod Stewart, B.B. King, Paul Simon, and many more. The Stones are always playing to young people. EVERYONE knows who they are. They are the most mainstream rock band of all time. It's nonsense to say it was a special concert because there were young people in the audience.

It's the combination of their age, the level they played at, the audience they played to, the magnitude of the event, the fact that it was their first time to play the event, etc.. It's really a no-brainer.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 30, 2013 22:55

IMHO, it's only significant for the usual "how can they do this at their age" reasons.

Hard to judge the music based on the camera phone videos but that was very possibly the worst performance by their vocalist in a LONG time.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1921
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home