Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Its only rock n roll... the album
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 28, 2013 08:39

carlorossi
24FPS
The rotten icing on the cake was Love You Live. There was a big demand for a live album and what we got was the first incarnation of the Vegas Stones (excepting the El Mocambo Side).

I alwways thought that '75 and '76 and LYL were the anti-Vegas Stones. VERY loose, sloppy and coked out. More so than any tour before. I think I know what you mean by 'first incarnation', but I don't think that these years qualify. Vegas Stones came upon us quickly and without warning, imo.

yes, in my opinion, love you live is horrible in an entirely different way than the Vegas act

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 28, 2013 09:25

Edward Twining
IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL is perhaps the first Stones album where the stones-by-numbers approach first came into play on a large scale. In other words the Stones were recording typical sounding Stones songs (many of the rocking variety) but without any real sense of conviction or inspiration behind their creation. 'If You Can't Rock Me', the cover 'Ain't Too Proud To Beg', 'Dance Little Sister' and even the title track, for me are really short term pleasures, where if you scratch the surface, what lies beneath is pretty hollow. That's not to say they aren't enjoyable to a degree, because they are rather spightly, and in a sense, perhaps, more familiar stylistically to the average Stones fan, than some of those more meandering and melancholly offerings on, say, GOATS HEAD SOUP, for example, but unfortunately over repeated listens these songs don't stand up nearly so well.

Even the changes of pace songs like the ballads 'Till The Next Goodbye', 'If You Really Want To Be My Friend' and to a point 'Time Waits For No One', are somehow lacking, and, perhaps, also quite hollow. 'Fingerprint File' doesn't impress me either, as much as its funky musical direction suggests it might. 'Time Waits For No One' however, works well in terms of it being Mick Taylor's swansong, in retrospect, Although it isn't somehow as well rounded in terms of its construction and production as the tracks on the Stones more higly regarded albums, musically Nicky Hopkins and Mick Taylor cook up something rather transcendant, and haunting. 'Luxury' is perhaps the other highlight for me. I just love Jagger's attempts at a Jamaican accent in this. In a sense 'Luxury' also acted as a signpost to the much better BLACK AND BLUE within its slight reggae influenced sound.

IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL for me is the weakest Stones album of the seventies. If GOATS HEAD SOUP hinted at times that the Stones were in decline, with IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL, the Stones decline is pretty full scale throughout. The Stones were very much on autopilot. I still enjoy listening to the album, however, although it's always a toss up for me, to which is the weaker album between this and EMOTIONAL RESCUE. I have come to the conclusion that i like EMOTIONAL RESCUE more simply because the Stones were trying to be a little different in terms of musical direction at times, which contributed to making it more interesting. Unfortunately, with IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL it was more of the same from the Stones, minus the magic ingredients.

I often wonder how much different the album would have sounded with Jimmy Miller behind the controls?

Agree completely except for the Black and Blue bit. That album I see as a continuation of the decline. Only eight songs and half of them real clunkers. Keith pretty much a spent force as a songwriter. Taylor gone and Wood not yet in meant one wheel was off the wagon. The fact that GHS, IORR, and B&B were three steps on a downward ladder made Some Girls all the more welcome as an unexpected return to form. They had gone as far as they could with Billy Preston, the pseudo-funk, and the chorus pedals. That shit had to be purged for something better to happen.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 28, 2013 09:39

sonomastone
carlorossi
24FPS
The rotten icing on the cake was Love You Live. There was a big demand for a live album and what we got was the first incarnation of the Vegas Stones (excepting the El Mocambo Side).

I alwways thought that '75 and '76 and LYL were the anti-Vegas Stones. VERY loose, sloppy and coked out. More so than any tour before. I think I know what you mean by 'first incarnation', but I don't think that these years qualify. Vegas Stones came upon us quickly and without warning, imo.

yes, in my opinion, love you live is horrible in an entirely different way than the Vegas act

Excepting El Mocambo, which is an animal in it's own right, I don't think LYL bears any relation to Vegas Stones.

With Vegas Stones you get pure professionalism which you can criticise loses spontaneity...but I prefer that to LYL which is dreck.

Date: June 28, 2013 09:45

I think BAB was a step in the right direction after two so so albums.

Yes, there are only 8 songs on the album. Then again, some of them are quite long. I don't agree on Keith being a spent force as a song writer, though. MM, HS, HOF, FTC, CM are all great, imo.

But the most important thing with BAB is the fantastic production. GHS and IORR had a muddy (GHS) and echoish, wollen sound (IORR) and were both both mixed poorly. BAB was sonically, and still is today, one of the best-sounding Stones albums ever.

+ the variety of black music-styles on this album is really showing the versatility of the Stones and the band's roots, imo.

I don't see any clunkers on BAB. I even love Cherry Oh Baby, because of it's naive approach, and it's quite charming that they are trying to play reggae - still sounding like a rock'n'roll band smiling smiley

IMO, the two best songs on GHS (Coming Down Again and Can You Hear The Music) don't hold up to the two best ones on BAB (Memory Motel and Hand Of Fate).

Date: June 28, 2013 09:55

I have never understood the dislike for "If u really want 2 b my friend". IMO a great soul ballad. Love the bridge especially; and the ending.
Like Edward T says - I find the rockers e.g. "If you cant rock me" WAY more forced and hollow sounding.

Date: June 28, 2013 10:03

Ket
Their worst album of the 70's, I thought Black and Blue was much better.

thumbs up

Date: June 28, 2013 10:05

DandelionPowderman

Yes, there are only 8 songs on the album. Then again, some of them are quite long. I don't agree on Keith being a spent force as a song writer, though. MM, HS, HOF, FTC, CM are all great, imo.

But the most important thing with BAB is the fantastic production. GHS and IORR had a muddy (GHS) and echoish, wollen sound (IORR) and were both both mixed poorly. BAB was sonically, and still is today, one of the best-sounding Stones albums ever.

+ the variety of black music-styles on this album is really showing the versatility of the Stones and the band's roots, imo.

I don't see any clunkers on BAB. I even love Cherry Oh Baby, because of it's naive approach, and it's quite charming that they are trying to play reggae - still sounding like a rock'n'roll band smiling smiley

IMO, the two best songs on GHS (Coming Down Again and Can You Hear The Music) don't hold up to the two best ones on BAB (Memory Motel and Hand Of Fate).

Just have to agree to disagree on this. I don't think there's anything "fantastic" about the production. At least GHS (whether you like it or not) had a definitive mood and vibe. B&B has too many weak songs, and when you factor in that Cherry was a cover, Melody really Billy Preston, and Hey Negrita really Ron Wood ("inspired by") there are actually only five new Jagger/Richards songs, pretty good evidence of spent force in my view. This record has songs that sound ok in form, like Crazy Mama and Fool To Cry, but are really lacking in imagination. Even with Memory Motel, there's less than meets the eye compared to ballads like Wild Horses or Coming Down Again. Hand Of Fate and Negrita are nice, and Hot Stuff is a cool novelty.

Date: June 28, 2013 10:06

Palace Revolution 2000
I have never understood the dislike for "If u really want 2 b my friend". IMO a great soul ballad. Love the bridge especially; and the ending.
Like Edward T says - I find the rockers e.g. "If you cant rock me" WAY more forced and hollow sounding.

it's a decent song.
i just think the songwriting isn't as deep or strong on iorr.
both on the rockers and the ballads.
if you really want to be my friend has some good ideas, but stops there. if andrew loog oldham had locked them in the kitchen and told them not to come out until it was good, they would've made it much better. but at this point in their career, with no one there to challenge them (e.g. jimmy miller), it was too easy for them to say "it's good enough, let's use that".
i'm obviously wildly speculating based on what i hear.

Date: June 28, 2013 10:07

Palace Revolution 2000

I struggled to like it at first, but in recent years it just grew on me. Might have been something with a part of the bridge that is so similar to Lonely At The Top, which I heard before IYRWTBMF, I dunno...

("Ah, but you got a little charm around you.."/"Oh, It leads the small town girls astray" )

Date: June 28, 2013 10:10

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Just have to agree to disagree on this. I don't think there's anything "fantastic" about the production. At least GHS (whether you like it or not) had a definitive mood and vibe. B&B has too many weak songs, and when you factor in that Cherry was a cover, Melody really Billy Preston, and Hey Negrita really Ron Wood ("inspired by") there are actually only five new Jagger/Richards songs, pretty good evidence of spent force in my view. This record has songs that sound ok in form, like Crazy Mama and Fool To Cry, but are really lacking in imagination. Even with Memory Motel, there's less than meets the eye compared to ballads like Wild Horses or Coming Down Again. Hand Of Fate and Negrita are nice, and Hot Stuff is a cool novelty.

i think you guys mean different things by production. dandelion is talking about the sound (technical quality and creativity) and mix and i think you're talking about production in a broader sense.
B&B is cleaner in production than IORR and GHS. But again I agree with your overall sentiment. it's really substandard IMO. Not a single track on there is better than any given song on BB, LIB, SF, or EOMS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-28 10:12 by sonomastone.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 28, 2013 10:26

sonomastone
Not a single track on there is better than any given song on BB, LIB, SF, or EOMS.

There's a couple or three that stand up.

Hand of fate - Excellent
Hey Negrita - Very good
Memory Motel - Good
Crazy Momma - Nearly good
Hot stuff - just a riff
Melody - Nope
Fool to Cry - Cheese
Cherry Oh Baby - how did this ever make the album?

Date: June 28, 2013 10:47

GravityBoy
sonomastone
Not a single track on there is better than any given song on BB, LIB, SF, or EOMS.

There's a couple or three that stand up.

Hand of fate - Excellent
Hey Negrita - Very good
Memory Motel - Good
Crazy Momma - Nearly good
Hot stuff - just a riff
Melody - Nope
Fool to Cry - Cheese
Cherry Oh Baby - how did this ever make the album?

i think that's a very accurate evaluation of the album.

can't think of a song on any of the Big Four that i'd trade for hand of fate though
and i love hand of fate.
always had a soft spot for crazy momma... but it's missing something.

Date: June 28, 2013 11:03

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Well, that's ok. But keep in mind that they waited with stuff like Worried About You and Slave - both songs that show that they still were writing top stuff, imo.

Date: June 28, 2013 11:07

Is Memory Motel just a "good" song now??

Well, all right...

Hot Stuff IS the (instrumental) bridge, imo - too bad you didn't take notice - instrumental-dominated tracks can be cool too grinning smiley

Hey Negrita, although it probably was mostly written by Ronnie, picks up where Luxury left (and before that IGMOATD and Now Look) - with the Stones exploring caribbean music and beats. I find that more exciting than most stuff on BAB's predecessors.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 28, 2013 11:15

DandelionPowderman

On the whole i tend to agree with you here, Dandelion, BLACK AND BLUE at least managed to reduce the feeling of decline which is the dominant thought for me on listening to IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL. The more typical guitar riffs were replaced with a few more interesting rhythmic textures on 'Hot Stuff' and 'Hey Negrita', even if, as far as songs go, they aren't necessarily great. Somehow, though i think that hardly matters, because the rhythms are what makes these songs so inviting anyway. The ballads 'Fool To Cry' and 'Memory Motel' are highly effective as well, which for me, are way above anything to be found in ballad form on IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL (that is better written, arranged and executed), with the possible execption of the Nicky Hopkins/Mick Taylor contributions to 'Time Waits For No One'. Only on 'Hand Of Fate' and 'Crazy Mama' do the Stones return to anything approaching the more typical Stones rockers, and even then they manage to dodge that going-through-the-motions feeling of repetition, which dogged so many of the forced rockers on IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL. 'Melody' is a matter of taste, i would say, and as a more jazzy influenced song, i think it works well, but i can see it being a little more of an acquired taste. I noticed Bill occasionally plays it with his group, the Rhythm Kings. The reggae cover 'Cherry Oh Baby' however, falls a bit flat rhythmically, for me, and lasts too long. The Stones haven't quite mastered the reggae rhythm here, although it still has its charms, and especially Mick's vocals. In fact i think Mick may actually be the highlight of the entire album within his vocals. It's great the way he manages to shift from that harsh Jamaican sounding raw vocal of 'Hot Stuff' and 'Hey Negrita', to something so tender and heartfelt as 'Memory Motel' and 'Fool To Cry'. I can sense a new maturity for Mick here. The production is also very crisp and clean, too.

I wouldn't overall rate BLACK AND BLUE quite so highly as GOATS HEAD SOUP, however, and there is still a feeling that the Stones are still struggling a little in terms of lacking conviction, when compared to their best work. However, within the Stones repertoire, i would say the album is grossly underrated. On its own terms it really stands up rather well.

Date: June 28, 2013 11:41

Black And Blue has a musical consistency, despite being so versatile in genres, that both of the two other albums desperately lack, imo.

You could say that the laid back, murky vibe on GHS is there - but it really isn't on songs like Star Star, Angie, Silver Train and Hide Your Love - that's 4 out of 10 songs.

I see songs like Coming Down Again and Can You Hear The Music as a natural musical progression for the Stones after Exile, though - both are brilliiant, and in different ways experimental.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-28 14:25 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: June 28, 2013 12:57

Big Al
I think '74-75 was a bit of a naff period for all concerned, no? 'Glam' and the likes of Slade, T.Rex and Ziggy-era Bowie had faded and 'punk' was still to truely find it's way. Who was big in 74-75? Pink Floyd? Yes? Zzzz...

Well there was also a little known band called Led Zeppelin that put out a so, so double album called Physical Graffiti. Brilliant.

In 1975 I got to see the Stones, Zep, Floyd, Genesis, and a bunch of other groups...Not a bad year in my book.

Date: June 28, 2013 14:26

leteyer
Big Al
I think '74-75 was a bit of a naff period for all concerned, no? 'Glam' and the likes of Slade, T.Rex and Ziggy-era Bowie had faded and 'punk' was still to truely find it's way. Who was big in 74-75? Pink Floyd? Yes? Zzzz...

Well there was also a little known band called Led Zeppelin that put out a so, so double album called Physical Graffiti. Brilliant.

In 1975 I got to see the Stones, Zep, Floyd, Genesis, and a bunch of other groups...Not a bad year in my book.

grinning smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 28, 2013 14:37

DandelionPowderman
Black And Blue has a musical consistency, despite being so versatile in genres, that both of the two other albums desperately lack, imo.

You could say that the laid back, murky vibe on GHS is there - but it really isn't on songs like Star Star, Angie, Silver Train and Hide Your Love - that's 4 out of 10 songs.

I see songs like Coming Down Again and Can You Hear The Music as a natural musical progression for the Stones after Exile, though - both are brilliiant, and in different ways experimental.

Spot on Dandy! Musical consistency on B&B. And to me Hot Stuff is not just a riff, it's a riff on which Mick can act out one of his personas. And he did it perfectly. He had two great personas n the 70s, live at least. The Rambler and the Hey Negrita whore/john which is similar to the Hot Stuff character in mood.

The song is actually a darker Stones live song in 1976 than Midnight Rambler that same year. Simple riff but clever, listen to Bill and listen to Mick and Keith at Knebworth. And look at them. It's one of the best Glimmer Twin moments.

The production? I love it but on the other hand it's true, theres probably not very much thought behind it, compared to GHS which has different genres but a production and mix thats only to be found on GHS. IORR is an album I love but the mix is not good. The best guitar sound is on FF and DLS. It's not a bad album, I love it, but songs like IYCRM was so much better live in 1975 and 1976. A great single, iorr.

Great thread, interesting posts from everyone. Love this stuff.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 28, 2013 14:41

OK.....I like it...more than I should.

Date: June 28, 2013 14:56

Yeah, carpet, Mick's characters on stage were really interesting. And I know you really liked the 75/76 Stones smiling smiley

It might very well be that the collection of songs, as well as how they sound, is art by accident by the Stones - but the result was sonically (and musically) an interesting move.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 28, 2013 16:14

Theres something about the romantic outros on the iorr songs. Damn, I love this album. Very decadent. Maybe their most decadent.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: June 28, 2013 17:00

I hadn't considered how much the production can affect the vibe of the album. Black and Blue gets a boost in that regard, and IORR suffers terribly.

On a side note, I was listening to Voodoo Brew recently and was amazed at how good the guitars sound on some of the pre-release tracks compared to the official VL. Some of the best guitar and drum sounds I've heard from the Stones. Feels like I've got their amps hooked directly into my stereo. Why they slicked it up for album release I can't figure out. No where near Steel Wheels levels of overproduction, but still...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-28 17:01 by Sipuncula.

Date: June 28, 2013 17:08

Agree about Voodoo Brew!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 28, 2013 17:21

If they stuff as good as this in the can they should get it out!!!!!!

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 28, 2013 17:24

Edward Twining
IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL is perhaps the first Stones album where the stones-by-numbers approach first came into play on a large scale. In other words the Stones were recording typical sounding Stones songs (many of the rocking variety) but without any real sense of conviction or inspiration behind their creation. 'If You Can't Rock Me', the cover 'Ain't Too Proud To Beg', 'Dance Little Sister' and even the title track, for me are really short term pleasures, where if you scratch the surface, what lies beneath is pretty hollow. That's not to say they aren't enjoyable to a degree, because they are rather spightly, and in a sense, perhaps, more familiar stylistically to the average Stones fan, than some of those more meandering and melancholly offerings on, say, GOATS HEAD SOUP, for example, but unfortunately over repeated listens these songs don't stand up nearly so well.

Even the changes of pace songs like the ballads 'Till The Next Goodbye', 'If You Really Want To Be My Friend' and to a point 'Time Waits For No One', are somehow lacking, and, perhaps, also quite hollow. 'Fingerprint File' doesn't impress me either, as much as its funky musical direction suggests it might. 'Time Waits For No One' however, works well in terms of it being Mick Taylor's swansong, in retrospect, Although it isn't somehow as well rounded in terms of its construction and production as the tracks on the Stones more higly regarded albums, musically Nicky Hopkins and Mick Taylor cook up something rather transcendant, and haunting. 'Luxury' is perhaps the other highlight for me. I just love Jagger's attempts at a Jamaican accent in this. In a sense 'Luxury' also acted as a signpost to the much better BLACK AND BLUE within its slight reggae influenced sound.

IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL for me is the weakest Stones album of the seventies. If GOATS HEAD SOUP hinted at times that the Stones were in decline, with IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL, the Stones decline is pretty full scale throughout. The Stones were very much on autopilot. I still enjoy listening to the album, however, although it's always a toss up for me, to which is the weaker album between this and EMOTIONAL RESCUE. I have come to the conclusion that i like EMOTIONAL RESCUE more simply because the Stones were trying to be a little different in terms of musical direction at times, which contributed to making it more interesting. Unfortunately, with IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL it was more of the same from the Stones, minus the magic ingredients.

I often wonder how much different the album would have sounded with Jimmy Miller behind the controls?

agreed totally..u saved me 15 mins of typing!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 28, 2013 18:34

IORR is a fun summer time album. Right now is a perfect time to give it a spin.

Date: June 28, 2013 18:44

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Well, that's ok. But keep in mind that they waited with stuff like Worried About You and Slave - both songs that show that they still were writing top stuff, imo.

...and if they had included those two on the record instead of a couple of others I could think of, I would revise my opinion of that album! smoking smiley

Date: June 28, 2013 18:50

Precisely winking smiley

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 28, 2013 20:47

it gets me down.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home