Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Are the Stones ashamed of "Star Star"?
Posted by: Berry88 ()
Date: June 21, 2013 14:19

I mean, probably is their best rock'n roll song ever, in the Chuck Berry sense of rock 'n roll, the pure essence of that.

It used to sound so good and provocative, agressive, ironic and distintive of The Rolling Stones.

But they have been ignored this song, excepting some rare moments, from the last twenty years.

Today, in 2013, as the old men they are now, I don't expect them to sing the John Wayne line, neither the Steve Macqueen one, but this song was so great ... Remember when they sang it in 2003, and Jagger talked about Angelina and Billy Bob?

Taylor doing the rythmn part of the song would be killer nowadays.

What do you think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-21 14:19 by Berry88.

Re: Are the Stones ashamed of "Star Star"?
Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: June 21, 2013 14:21

I'm not, played it twice already today thumbs up

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 21, 2013 14:38

hard to imagine them being embarrassed about anything based on their track record...

Date: June 21, 2013 14:44

Or maybe the Stones, 650$ ticket, Bill Clinton as buddy of Keef, more a company than a rock a band, father, grandfather and children in the arena and all of that, can't say anymore, as main idea of a song, the word "@#$%&"?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 21, 2013 14:51

They may be ashamed of it, but I doubt it: I know that Emmylou Harris no longer sings Two More Bottles of Wine, as she feels too old for the sentiments within the song, so maybe the Stones feel too old for Star Star.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: June 21, 2013 14:54

Top 5 best Stones songs ever in my book! Had the pleasure to hear it live once back in 98 at the BTB tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-21 14:56 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 21, 2013 15:08

If I remember correctly, few years back they "censured" themselves by altering the lyrics of "starstar" on a live record. So maybe Mick doesn't want to be sexually provocative at his old age.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 21, 2013 15:12

rollmops
If I remember correctly, few years back they "censured" themselves by altering the lyrics of "starstar" on a live record. So maybe Mick doesn't want to be sexually provocative at his old age.
Rock and roll,
Mops

You mean like picking nubile pop tarts to do duets with?
Nah, they already have its close cousin IORR in the set as the token Berry-style rocker so it's redundant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-21 15:14 by andrewt.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 21, 2013 15:13

rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

They had too in the US or else they had to put a warning on the front of the cover.

Mathijs

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: June 21, 2013 15:18

I want Mick get that Gomez girl to guest on it.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: June 21, 2013 15:32

rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

Do you mean Love You Live? About keeping something clean? I can´t recall at the moment...

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: June 21, 2013 15:46

I saw them in 1997 and this was the webchoice voted song(cough).
The DC show I believe.
Maybe someone else can recall this?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 21, 2013 16:05

Then there is "Oh, Not You Again", very much alike.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 21, 2013 16:35

no just aged away from the subject matter

which has dated references in the lyrics anyway..

reckon that could be updated but that wouldn't really work.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: June 21, 2013 17:05

It's like Kiss' shows. They see little kids there getting the experience of the band live with their dads and granddads and understand this is more a family affair. They have plenty of provocative lyrics on Brown Sugar but make it work because if a kid heard them, he'd be thinking about the brown sugar he used on his oatmeal with cinnamon.

I'm glad they are not 70 years old and still shouting obscenities on stage.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 21, 2013 17:09

RawIguanaCologne
rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

Do you mean Love You Live? About keeping something clean? I can´t recall at the moment...

Seeing that it's a vocal overdub still nothing was censored, at least on all the editions of LOVE YOU LIVE that I've had over the years. The original US release of GOATS HEAD SOUP had some goofy mix.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: June 21, 2013 17:10

OneHit
I'm not, played it twice already today thumbs up

Me too. Twice, on the way to work. It sounded so good the first time, I had to play it again. Love it ! thumbs upthumbs up

Date: June 21, 2013 17:12

Not sure what they'd be "ashamed" about.

If anything it should be for such stellar songs as Rock And A Hard Place, Streets Of Love, Might As Well Get Juiced, Always Suffering and Following The River...

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: June 21, 2013 17:22

Berry88

Remember when they sang it in 2003, and Jagger talked about Angelina and Billy Bob?

And what did Mick say about Angelina and Billy Bob?

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: June 21, 2013 17:24

i think they are too old now for it i mean come on star @#$%& star @#$%& star @#$%& star @#$%& star

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-21 17:24 by Godxofxrock9.

Date: June 21, 2013 17:33

GasLightStreet
RawIguanaCologne
rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

Seeing that it's a vocal overdub still nothing was censored, at least on all the editions of LOVE YOU LIVE that I've had over the years. The original US release of GOATS HEAD SOUP had some goofy mix.
I was not talking about Love You Live. I can't remember the name of the record but it's in recent years that they had to drop the "pussy" out of the Star.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: June 21, 2013 17:43

rollmops
GasLightStreet
RawIguanaCologne
rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

I was not talking about Love You Live. I can't remember the name of the record but it's in recent years that they had to drop the "pussy" out of the Star.
Rock and roll,
Mops

That's the last time it was released on anything. Album wise that is. Are you talking about the studio version? UMe reissued the original US version on GHS for some reason, as I recall anyway.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 21, 2013 17:50

They censored themselves about what black girls enjoy doing all night at the Shine A Light shows. Shameful. The censoring, not the lyrics.

Date: June 21, 2013 17:53

GasLightStreet
rollmops
GasLightStreet
RawIguanaCologne
rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

Do you mean Love You Live? About keeping something clean? I can´t recall at the moment...[/quote

Rock and roll,
Mops

That's the last time it was released on anything. Album wise that is. Are you talking about the studio version? UMe reissued the original US version on GHS for some reason, as I recall anyway.

Yes, you are right. That was a reissue of the original, not a live show; my bad.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: June 21, 2013 17:54

71Tele
They censored themselves about what black girls enjoy doing all night at the Shine A Light shows. Shameful. The censoring, not the lyrics.

They've come a long way from pissing where they want to being so... politically correct. I guess Mick started thinking that way during the Voodoo tour, if you read that Rolling Stone interview and his thoughts about Brown Sugar.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 21, 2013 19:00

I think you are correct on this... The song is one of my favorites. Respectable is right there with it. Just awesome rocknroll. Even as a 'conservative' I really love the song. However, the environment has changed. Little kids going with their grandparents changes the target demographic in a very big way.

Date: June 21, 2013 20:56

Phil Good
Berry88

Remember when they sang it in 2003, and Jagger talked about Angelina and Billy Bob?

And what did Mick say about Angelina and Billy Bob?

I remember something like "Billy Bob got mad with me for giving head to Angeline".

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 21, 2013 22:44

Godxofxrock9
i think they are too old now for it i mean come on star @#$%& star @#$%& star @#$%& star @#$%& star

For sure that's the reason they skipped this one

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 21, 2013 22:49

Thank you for starting this thread btw. I am reminded that I really need to watch Live In Texas again.

Date: June 21, 2013 22:54

flacnvinyl
Thank you for starting this thread btw. I am reminded that I really need to watch Live In Texas again.

thumbs up

Live in Texas is really great!I don't understand when some people criticize that show.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home