Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Joni Mitchell live 1998
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 21, 2013 07:39

For some unknown reason the other thread about Joni was closed. I was lucky enough to see her on the last time she toured, 1998, sandwiched between Dylan and Van Morrison. Love Joni.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT - Joni Mitchell live 1998
Posted by: Torres ()
Date: June 21, 2013 10:29

I think it's nice of fans to support a long time artist performing in advanced ages, but sometimes both artists and the fans fail to understand the right time to stop. The video from Joni on the other thread is quite an example of it.

Fans can be infinitely forgiving to their idols, and that's fine. But somewhere, there's this wandering age authority that whispers "Look, don't mess the image you created in the past. You were great, yes I know. But you should take some rest now. Forget what the fans are saying. Don't read iorr. It is the time."

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 21, 2013 12:51

She says she has some bizarre illness called Morgellon's Syndrome, which entails red and blue fibres growing out from the skin, horrible lesions and the sensation of having insects crawling under the skin. The pictures are horrific, but Wikipedia says this is an imaginary ailment.

That performance on the closed thread makes my hair stand on end, it's so awful. Joni has smoked since the age of NINE years old.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-21 13:00 by Bliss.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 21, 2013 14:11

24FPS
For some unknown reason the other thread about Joni was closed. I was lucky enough to see her on the last time she toured, 1998, sandwiched between Dylan and Van Morrison. Love Joni.

[www.youtube.com]

I saw her on that tour with Dylan, too, though we didn't get Van here in Detroit. The played a 20,000 seat arena that was only half full. I was first in line at ticketmaster and got front row. Incredibly, the person in line behind me also got front row! And it was cheap. Only $45. Btw, she also toured in 2000, with an orchestra, but I missed that one.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-21 15:28 by tatters.

Date: June 21, 2013 14:21

Bliss
She says she has some bizarre illness called Morgellon's Syndrome, which entails red and blue fibres growing out from the skin, horrible lesions and the sensation of having insects crawling under the skin. The pictures are horrific, but Wikipedia says this is an imaginary ailment.

That performance on the closed thread makes my hair stand on end, it's so awful. Joni has smoked since the age of NINE years old.

The illness is real, but it's a mental illness. It's very sad. I consider her to be a very great genius. Btw, I don't think there was anything wrong with her performance the other night. Like someone said in the other thread, she's like an old blues singer now. I think she really identifies with those guys. In fact, there's an old video from the 80s where she's doing "Furry Sings The Blues" in drag and in blackface. Check Joni out at 4:11 in this clip.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-21 15:08 by tatters.

Date: June 21, 2013 14:34

Joni, Wednesday night.

Old Beale Street is coming down
Sweeties' Snack Bar, boarded up now
And Egles The Tailor and the Shine Boy's gone
Faded out with ragtime blues
Handy's cast in bronze
And he's standing in a little park
With a trumpet in his hand
Like he's listening back to the good old bands
And the click of high heeled shoes
Old Furry sings the blues
Propped up in his bed
With his dentures and his leg removed
And Ginny's there
For her kindness and Furry's beer
She's the old man's angel overseer

Pawn shops glitter like gold tooth caps
In the grey decay
They chew the last few dollars off
Old Beale Street's carcass
Carrion and mercy
Blue and silver sparkling drums
Cheap guitars, eye shades and guns
Aimed at the hot blood of being no one
Down and out in Memphis Tennessee
You bring him smoke and drink and he'll play for you
lt's mostly muttering now and sideshow spiel
But there was one song he played
I could really feel

There's a double bill murder at the New Daisy
The old girl's silent across the street
She's silent - waiting for the wrecker's beat
Silent - staring ar her stolen name
Diamond boys and satin dolls
Bourbon laughter- ghosts - history falls
To parking lots and shopping malls
As they tear down old Beale Street
He points a bony finger at you and says,
"I don't like you"
Everybody laughs as if it's the old man's standard joke
But it's true
We're only welcome for our drink and smoke

W.C. Handy I'm rich and I'm fay
And I'm not familiar with what you played
But I get such strong impressions of your hey day
Looking up and down old Beale Street
Ghosts of the darktown society
Come right out of the bricks at me
Like it's a Saturday night
They're in their finery
Dancing it up and making deals
Furry sings the blues
Why should I expect that old guy to give it to me true
Fallen to hard luck
And time and other thieves
While our limo is shining on his shanty street

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-22 04:37 by tatters.

Date: June 21, 2013 14:46

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 21, 2013 15:26

tatters
Bliss

The illness is real, but it's a mental illness. It's very sad. I consider her to be a very great genius. Btw, I don't think there was anything wrong with her performance the other night. Like someone said in the other thread, she's like an old blues singer now. I think she really identifies with those guys. In fact, there's an old video from the 80s where she's doing "Furry Sings The Blues" in drag and in blackface. Check Joni out at 4:11 in this clip.

Look at the pictures on Google of this mental illness. It's your worst nightmare.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: June 21, 2013 15:36

Always liked all of her works... not too happy about her remarks regarding Dylan being a plagiarist...what's that all about?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-21 15:36 by reg thorpe.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 21, 2013 15:37

also saw a show on this tour at the Palace of Auburn Hills, had 10th row on the floor. Joni chain smoked, started & stopped songs, and argued with audience members. still she did perform well and played lots of her more well known songs.

Joni Mitchell
October 28, 1998
The Palace of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, MI
1998 Tour with Bob Dylan

Big Yellow Taxi
Just Like This Train
Night Ride Home
The Crazy Cries of Love
Free Man in Paris
Harry's House
Black Crow
Amelia
Hejira
Don Juan's Reckless Daughter
Face Lift
Sex Kills
The Magdalene Laundries
Moon at the Window
Trouble Man
Comes Love

E: Woodstock

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-21 15:38 by mnewman505.

Date: June 21, 2013 15:41

mnewman505
also saw a show on this tour at the Palace of Auburn Hills, had 10th row on the floor. Joni chain smoked, started & stopped songs, and argued with audience members.

That was the show I was at. Yeah, I remember her getting into it with some woman in the front row. Not sure what it was all about, but I think maybe Joni saw this woman sitting there, waiting for Dylan, and looking bored, and she kinda went off on her, like, "Hey! Is there a problem here? Is anything wrong? Everyone else is having a good time! Isn't everyone else having a good time?" (crowd roars)

Here's some reviews of that particular show, posted by fans on Joni's website.

[jonimitchell.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-21 15:48 by tatters.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 21, 2013 15:47

yeah Dylan was good this night as well, the west coast leg of the tour was Joni, Van Morrison, and Dylan, pretty sweet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-21 15:55 by mnewman505.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: June 21, 2013 17:22

Man, you guys are brutal (re: the comments in the closed thread). Joni has been ill. Her performance the other night was not a concert. It was a tribute night in honour of her. The musicians around her and the fans in the audience were there to celebrate her. In regards to the comment above that Joni should stop. She has stopped. She hadn't performed in a long time. She didn't have to come out for her tribute but she did. Good for her.

Enough already with the hate and negative comments. She's not going on tour. She's not playing more shows. You won't have to see her ever again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-21 17:24 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 21, 2013 17:43

Gumboot, Thank you for clarifying re Joni the other night.
Very sorry to hear of Joni's situation

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 21, 2013 18:51

tatters
Joni, Wednesday night.

Wonderful.

Date: June 22, 2013 00:49

His Majesty
tatters
Joni, Wednesday night.

Wonderful.

thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-22 04:38 by tatters.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 22, 2013 00:56

Thanks for posting. This is still amazing. thumbs up

Date: June 22, 2013 01:33

Date: June 22, 2013 02:08

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 22, 2013 02:14

I'd much rather listen to my grandmother scold me for eating too many moon pies.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 22, 2013 13:47

Breakfast in Amsterdam.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 22, 2013 14:52

GumbootCloggeroo
Good for her.
Enough already with the hate and negative comments.

+1000

And let's all see what we can do to make the world a more beautiful place. This lady sure has.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 22, 2013 15:01

She recently gave an interview for Canadian tv:

Date: June 22, 2013 15:45

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: June 22, 2013 16:39

[artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com]

Video. Joni Mitchell talks with The Times’s chief pop music critic, Jon Pareles. More than an hour-long interview - fascinating stuff!

Date: June 22, 2013 21:02

One of my favorite Joni tunes ....

.... and a very amusing (though probably not on purpose) cover version.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-22 21:04 by tatters.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 23, 2013 00:32

tatters

I love those photos of Joni and Nash. They looked so in love and on top of the world in such a romantic time.
such an obvious unoriginal choice, I know, but this really is my favorite Joni song:

My favorite Joni homage:

Date: June 23, 2013 00:45

stupidguy2

such an obvious unoriginal choice, I know, but this really is my favorite Joni song:

Big hit when I was about 15 years old. My mom and I lived in an apartment in New York at the time, and there was this young woman who lived in the apartment above us who must have owned the 45 because she'd play this one song over and over, like maybe 20 times in a row, until my mom would go upstairs and start pounding on her door, yelling "Enough, already!" The funny thing is I don't remember her ever playing any other records. Looking through my high school yearbook, it's amazing how many of the girls quote Joni's lyrics in their blurbs. I don't think there's ever been another female artist who's had that kind of an impact on female listeners, of that generation, at least.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-23 01:18 by tatters.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 23, 2013 06:08

tatters
stupidguy2

Big hit when I was about 15 years old. My mom and I lived in an apartment in New York at the time, and there was this young woman who lived in the apartment above us who must have owned the 45 because she'd play this one song over and over, like maybe 20 times in a row, until my mom would go upstairs and start pounding on her door, yelling "Enough, already!" The funny thing is I don't remember her ever playing any other records. Looking through my high school yearbook, it's amazing how many of the girls quote Joni's lyrics in their blurbs. I don't think there's ever been another female artist who's had that kind of an impact on female listeners, of that generation, at least.

That's a great story! Funny. I was about 7 when this song came out, and it just sounded so jazzy and......cool,
When I got older, I loved the lyrics. Joni was always a bad-ass....more than just another chick with a guitar.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 23, 2013 07:48

I worked on a FOX Christmas Special in '87, and Tom Scott was part of the backing musical group for the artists. I got to thank him for his great work on Court and Spark, the first really mature album I remember.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home