Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brussels Affair-official or bootleg?
Posted by: opentuning ()
Date: June 21, 2013 07:18

From the excerpts I've heard, Brussels Affair sounds amazing and I want to get it as soon as I can. It's fairly recently been given official release, but I've heard from several sources that the bootleg version is better because it was taken from a different show (afteroon session I think) during which the Stones performed better.
In your opinion, which version is better? Would it be worth it to get the bootleg instead of the official release?
(Btw this is my first post after lurking for a while. It's good to meet you guys)

Re: Brussels Affair-official or bootleg?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 21, 2013 07:20

The only problem I have with the boot (which has a better Dancing With Mr. D), is the bass is almost non-existent.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 21, 2013 07:45

Get both. Both are really good. There is really nothing quite like the versions of Gimme Shelter and Tumbling Dice from the bootleg though. I heard somebody around here describe the version of Tumbling Dice as "The reason to have ears" and I can't argue with that. That 1st show was one of the finest Stones shows I've heard. The official release is really great too, especially because it has Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) which really smokes. And the show is pretty good too, but not as good as they were earlier that day. Also, depending on which bootleg you get, only some songs are worth listening to. Many bootlegs will have songs from other shows on there, but only 13 songs are from that show and probably the only ones that sound worth a damn.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 21, 2013 10:01

NoCode0680
Also, depending on which bootleg you get, only some songs are worth listening to. Many bootlegs will have songs from other shows on there, but only 13 songs are from that show and probably the only ones that sound worth a damn.

?

Most bootlegs have the 1974 radio broadcast of selection of songs, which is Happy, Gimme Shelter, Heartbreaker and SFM from London, and the rest from Brussels. Later Bootleg releases feature the entire show from Brussels with Heartbreaker from London, and minus Starvucker as this track was never broadcasted.

The London tracks are better than the Brussels counterparts, and the rest of the Brussels 1st show is superb as well.

Mathijs

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 21, 2013 10:04

Mathijs, I made a comment on MT and LIV in the above MT thread @ an hour ago. I would greatly appreciate your opinion, if you have the time. Than, Thrylan.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 21, 2013 11:17

Brussels Affair-official or bootleg?

Both are great (if you get a bootleg with the best recording quality), the most comprehensive is BRUSSELS AFFAIR DEFINITIVE EDITION.

and another one you need is THE STARS IN THE SKY THEY NEVER LIE bootleg with excellent audio recordings from other concerts of the 1973 Tour of Europe.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 21, 2013 13:38

Mathijs
NoCode0680
Also, depending on which bootleg you get, only some songs are worth listening to. Many bootlegs will have songs from other shows on there, but only 13 songs are from that show and probably the only ones that sound worth a damn.

?

Most bootlegs have the 1974 radio broadcast of selection of songs, which is Happy, Gimme Shelter, Heartbreaker and SFM from London, and the rest from Brussels. Later Bootleg releases feature the entire show from Brussels with Heartbreaker from London, and minus Starvucker as this track was never broadcasted.

The London tracks are better than the Brussels counterparts, and the rest of the Brussels 1st show is superb as well.

Mathijs

I'm talking sound quality, not the quality of the performance, but maybe we're not talking about the same release. I had (a downloaded copy) of The Complete Brussels Affair, and on that particular release the only songs that were listenable are the Brussels ones. I'm not sure where the others came from, but the sound quality was VERY poor. I had another version that had less songs, but the Brussels ones were still the only ones I thought sounded worth a damn. Eventually I settled on that "Bunnies, Bombs, Busts & A Princess" release as it contained just the Brussels songs. There may be some good ones on these other releases, but the versions I downloaded (and I tried about a half dozen) the only material I felt was high quality were the Brussels songs.

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: June 21, 2013 13:59

Get them both and you wont be missing a thing.
Different mixes on the boots vs the official.
You'll hear things on one you wont hear on the other.
Its the Stones, just crank it up.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 21, 2013 15:13

Get the bootleg for free in the forum Trade section. I would recommend the Bunnies, Bombs, Busts & A Princess version from Halcyon. Here for example : [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 21, 2013 15:20

They're both great. Like Christopher said you'll hear great things on one that won't hear on the other. Pretty much neck and neck, although I'd rate the official better by a hair.

And while you're at it, download Philadelphia Special.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-21 15:23 by andrewt.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 21, 2013 15:29

NoCode0680
Mathijs
NoCode0680

?

Mathijs

I'm talking sound quality, not the quality of the performance, but maybe we're not talking about the same release. I had (a downloaded copy) of The Complete Brussels Affair, and on that particular release the only songs that were listenable are the Brussels ones. I'm not sure where the others came from, but the sound quality was VERY poor. I had another version that had less songs, but the Brussels ones were still the only ones I thought sounded worth a damn. Eventually I settled on that "Bunnies, Bombs, Busts & A Princess" release as it contained just the Brussels songs. There may be some good ones on these other releases, but the versions I downloaded (and I tried about a half dozen) the only material I felt was high quality were the Brussels songs.

If the sound quality was very poor it was probably audience recordings. Many releases feature missing songs from the radio broadcast in audience quality, or the raw soundboard from the second show which was the only recording avaialable of the second show for a longtime. And many releases had rarities from that tour tacked on in audience quality.

What I meant with the London recordings is that Happy, Gimme Shelter and SFM exist in the excellent soundquality from three shows: the two Brussels shows and the London, 9/9/73 show, Heartbreaker from Brussels second and London.

Mathijs

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 21, 2013 15:43

The bootleg is absolutely better, certainly the one with the London (soundboard) songs. Better songs and better sound quality.

The official 'Brussels Affair' is as dry as grits: it doesn't 'breathe'. The performance of the different songs (some are the same: Browns Sugar, Midn.Rambler, Street F. Man, and the solo from All Down The Line) is inferior as well. Only minus point of the bootleg is that there could be some more bass on it, but that's not a major issue and is to be regulated by sound system etc.

Date: June 21, 2013 15:44

And GS on the official release does not have one guitar totally out of tune winking smiley

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: June 21, 2013 16:00

kleermaker
The bootleg is absolutely better, certainly the one with the London (soundboard) songs. Better songs and better sound quality.

The official 'Brussels Affair' is as dry as grits: it doesn't 'breathe'. The performance of the different songs (some are the same: Browns Sugar, Midn.Rambler, Street F. Man, and the solo from All Down The Line) is inferior as well. Only minus point of the bootleg is that there could be some more bass on it, but that's not a major issue and is to be regulated by sound system etc.

Official Brussels affair and the boot have the same Midnight Rambler on it!! Though the mixing has made them almost sound like completely different tracks. The boot has the guitars way up in the mix which I prefer.

Date: June 21, 2013 16:20

Brown Sugar is also on it. Not the SFM, I think, kleerie?

Date: June 21, 2013 18:09

I would advise to compare with thiswinking smiley

Date: June 21, 2013 18:12

DandelionPowderman
Brown Sugar is also on it. Not the SFM, I think, kleerie?

The SFM on the official is the same as on the bootlegs (from the Brussels first show).

Date: June 21, 2013 18:16

kowalski
Get the bootleg for free in the forum Trade section. I would recommend the Bunnies, Bombs, Busts & A Princess version from Halcyon. Here for example : [www.iorr.org]

But then you miss all those excellent London soundboard songs! Gimme S., Heartbreaker, SFM, Happy.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 21, 2013 18:16

the original bootleg is best..but both are brilliant

Date: June 21, 2013 18:18

DandelionPowderman
And GS on the official release does not have one guitar totally out of tune winking smiley

On the bootlegs (at least some) there's the most excellent London soundboard GS. Better than any Brussels GS-version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-21 18:19 by kleermaker.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 21, 2013 18:21

How did we enjoy shows before "Miss You?"

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 21, 2013 19:35

the offical Brussels Affair is the most played stones cd in my home .hands down the best .sonic nirvana !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.taylor at his BEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 22, 2013 01:57

Two different shows, so collect 'em all!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 22, 2013 02:09

kowalski

Oh that knockyourteethout...wonder whatever happened to that guy?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 22, 2013 02:14

Doesn't the boot have Bill's big bass slide on "Angie" while it is absent from the official version?

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: June 22, 2013 04:01

hi, I posted this on a similiar thread a while back but kinda still relevant to this one

''i too love 'The Brussells Affair - Definitive Edition' and prefer it to the official, both are great tho

The dif for me is that the official one DEFO seems mixed more for todays ears if that makes sense. Like for eg the sound of the snare on the official one is alot more of a punchy phat 'current' live sound when compared to the 'TBA-DE' (which has a more organic/live snare feel to it - i favour TBA-DE for this BIGTIME)

The official also uses more compression on the kit, slightly dif spread/balance on the guitars, it does tho have a better/clearer/punchier bottom end, check out the bass & kick sound on the official and compare to the boot (this is defo better on the official rather than the 'TBA-DE'

basically, the official has been mixed for modern ears, and has more compression on the snare, better & clearer bottom end on the bass & Kick, slightly better qual overall

TBA-ED sounds like a live band, the guitars are also louder (and for the better), the kit sounds live and not as processed, the snare in particular sounds miles more natural, less compressed - BUT you do loosed abit of bottom end clarity and weight when compared to the official

end of the day - its 2 dif performances, one mixed then (for radio i think? maybe wrong) & the other mixed 40 years later

as a listenening experience i prefer a more untreated natural live sound (tho obviously theres a tipping point) - vibe wise if i want to hear something to get in the moment with and feel it seeping into my bones i automatically choose the 'TBA-ED' everytime. The official is still great tho but its not my natural reach to if i want to hear something to shake my ass & feel alive''

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: June 22, 2013 04:34

Taylor's solo on YCGWYW from the official release is PHENOMINAL... up till then, I always preferred the London Sept 8 or 9th (I forget) Solo... listen to that & you find PERFECTION

Posted by: opentuning ()
Date: June 22, 2013 07:26

This thread has convinced me to get both versions. I'm currently looking for the 'Definitive Edition' (as Captainchaos recommended) and am downloding the 'Bunnies, Bombs, Busts & A Princess' as well. Are there any other editions/mixes I should be aware of?

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: June 22, 2013 08:15

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 22, 2013 09:08

gripweed

Great version.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1344
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home