Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Worse tour since early 70's ??
Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: June 18, 2013 14:08

rollingon
MisterDDDD
I'd give the honor to the 1981 tour.
Although, I've loved each and every show I've been to, including that tour, particularly with J Geils band opening..

I don't know about actually being on some shows 81/82 tours but if you listen to qood quality soundboard recordings like Hampton's or Live at Leeds is the guitar playing (especially Keith's playing) superior to any tour after that, I can listen to Live at Leeds over and over again, ( I mean just listen to Keith's playing in Let Me Go or Hang Fire, just listen to his guitar!) there is no live recording after that of which I could say the same thing. And about the Ron Wood playing much better in 75/76 tours, yes that's true, but on the other hand, Jagger's singing and voice is much better in 81/82 tours and the overall energy is just fantastic in 81/82 recordings. The biggest problem of that tour is that they didn't play at all some of their greatest songs like Gimme Shelter.

And that would have been played as sped up as JJF, BS and so on....you wouldn´t recognize it...

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 18, 2013 14:10

I had no idea the '76 tour had such a bad reputation. I've never heard much about it, but the setlists always looked interesting (as I'm a Black And Blue fan) so I've been holding out hope for an official release of a '76 show. I always just assumed it was probably about on par with the '75 shows, but I guess that was wrong.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 18, 2013 14:32

76 gave us Love you live!

Date: June 18, 2013 14:35

Jagger on Sftd was quoted that "something alway happens when we play that number."

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 18, 2013 14:42

daytime
Rokyfan
bonddm
75/76 was far superior to 81/82.Ronnie was playing way better for a start.

This is so obviously beyond argument. People should have a listen to LA Friday (vocals are a little slurred but the band is on fire).

You got that right. Was a upgrade ever done?
yeah, they released it officially on download. I think you can get it from thir official site. Sounds great.

Date: June 18, 2013 14:50

hot stuff
Jagger on Sftd was quoted that "something alway happens when we play that number."

"Something FUNNY always happens when we play that number".

But it was during Under My Thumb the stabbing happened.

Date: June 18, 2013 14:51

RawIguanaCologne
rollingon
MisterDDDD
I'd give the honor to the 1981 tour.
Although, I've loved each and every show I've been to, including that tour, particularly with J Geils band opening..

I don't know about actually being on some shows 81/82 tours but if you listen to qood quality soundboard recordings like Hampton's or Live at Leeds is the guitar playing (especially Keith's playing) superior to any tour after that, I can listen to Live at Leeds over and over again, ( I mean just listen to Keith's playing in Let Me Go or Hang Fire, just listen to his guitar!) there is no live recording after that of which I could say the same thing. And about the Ron Wood playing much better in 75/76 tours, yes that's true, but on the other hand, Jagger's singing and voice is much better in 81/82 tours and the overall energy is just fantastic in 81/82 recordings. The biggest problem of that tour is that they didn't play at all some of their greatest songs like Gimme Shelter.

And that would have been played as sped up as JJF, BS and so on....you wouldn´t recognize it...

JJF, BS and SFM were player much faster during the 72 tour.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 18, 2013 15:00

NoCode0680
I had no idea the '76 tour had such a bad reputation. I've never heard much about it, but the setlists always looked interesting (as I'm a Black And Blue fan) so ...

Mainly because of the 1975 Tour, 1976 was very low rated because 1975 was very high rated.
It doesn't mean imo, that every 1976 show is bad, some are really pretty good, but do not listen to L.A Forum before >grinning smiley<

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 15:00 by Honestman.

Date: June 18, 2013 15:15

I know it happen on umt.. but things started out wrong when they started to play Sftd..
It was out of control by the time they played Umt..

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 18, 2013 15:24

hot stuff
I know it happen on umt.. but things started out wrong when they started to play Sftd..
It was out of control by the time they played Umt..

That was maybe because the SFTD was really played so wildly back then, if Chuck would have played his keyboards in Altamont the Hells Angels would have possibly fallen asleep.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 18, 2013 15:51

hot stuff
1st time they played Sftd in the USA since
1969..They talked about it all over the news.
They dropped it in the states after Altamont.

The Stones tour in 72 of America didn't include
Sftd..Hence 1st time it was played in the USA
Since 1969.

yeah, but there's a dozen songs that haven't been played for years in the US after the 1969 tour....People really see too much in it.

Mathijs

Date: June 18, 2013 16:10

Mathijs----I know that the Stones didn't play a lot of songs from the past in 75!
But 1975 was my 1st Stones concert and my fav track was SFTD.

I missed seeing them in 72 as i didn't have the cash for a ticket..And they didn't play sftd
in the american tour in 72.

I remember being very excited hearing
SFTD being played in 75...I also remember hearing and reading that this was the 1st time they played that track in america
since 69....A lifetime ago when your a young Stones fan. haha.

Sadly the best live version for me of sftd is still the 69 version. But I was really pumped when they played
it live in 75.....But was not ever blown away by it since.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 18, 2013 17:13

It was a point made throughout the 72 tour that they were not playing Sympathy because of Altamont. Whether it was true or not, that was the word, and the vibe. The canard that Hunter was murdered during that song was also repeated endlessly curing that time, and stated countless tims as the reason for them not playing it, obviously it was not true but most people thought it was true.

There was a real fear of danger surrounding that tour. I went to the last show at MSG. You could not set foot on the block that the Garden is on without a ticket to the show. That was unprecedented.

There were rumors -- I'm sure unfounded -- that the Hells Angels were planning revenge on the Stones because of Altamont (ruined their good name or something). I remember, going to the final show, people saying this was their last chance. In hindsight it all seems kind of silly but the vibe was real back then, it is not something that has been made up since. And not playing Sympathy was constantly noted as being motivated by it being the "theme" for the Altamont violence, even by those who know that it ws not during that song that the stabbing occurred.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 18, 2013 17:26

2005/2007 they were horrible.

Date: June 18, 2013 17:31

Rokyfan
It was a point made throughout the 72 tour that they were not playing Sympathy because of Altamont. Whether it was true or not, that was the word, and the vibe. The canard that Hunter was murdered during that song was also repeated endlessly curing that time, and stated countless tims as the reason for them not playing it, obviously it was not true but most people thought it was true.

There was a real fear of danger surrounding that tour. I went to the last show at MSG. You could not set foot on the block that the Garden is on without a ticket to the show. That was unprecedented.

There were rumors -- I'm sure unfounded -- that the Hells Angels were planning revenge on the Stones because of Altamont (ruined their good name or something). I remember, going to the final show, people saying this was their last chance. In hindsight it all seems kind of silly but the vibe was real back then, it is not something that has been made up since. And not playing Sympathy was constantly noted as being motivated by it being the "theme" for the Altamont violence, even by those who know that it ws not during that song that the stabbing occurred.

I remember reading that there really were some individual members of Hells Angels trying to get to the Jagger's beach house by a motor boat in 70s, obviously with not very nice intentions, but that FBI stopped that boat or something like that so FBI somehow knew what was going on. I don't know if Jagger knew even himself at that time that FBI maybe saved his life, I'm sure he or the Stones as a band won't be performing Fingerprint File anymore, even though the song itself is strong, but because of the lyrics...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 18, 2013 17:44

DandelionPowderman
Maindefender
'81 just didn't do it for me. Part of it was that I was still yearning for '72 or '75 type shows. The vibe at that time wasn't great. 33 years later I saw the most enjoyable Stones show!! Worth the wait. Haha

And it isn't even 2014 yet! winking smiley

oops, I've been using the wrong planner. That explains a lot of things haha. Ah yes, 2014 at the Orpheum Theatre in Boston, nice!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 18, 2013 17:50

Worst!

Posted by: Tonyz ()
Date: June 18, 2013 17:58

From someone who didn't seen them live until last month... what was so bad about the A Bigger Bang Tour?

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 18, 2013 18:10

2007 was just plain terrible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 18:10 by fahthree.

Date: June 18, 2013 18:21

fahthree
2007 was just plain terrible.

Is't this quite well documented in Shine a Light?

I guess the video isn't as bad as some of the worst concerts though...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 18, 2013 18:29

Fenway 2005 was not bad!! Back of My Hand was played, band was tight.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 18, 2013 18:43

Tonyz
From someone who didn't seen them live until last month... what was so bad about the A Bigger Bang Tour?

I think A Bigger Bang was fine up until the 2007 leg in Europe. The shows I saw were good, particuarly the two at MSG in January 2006. Atlantic City in November 2006 was good.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 18, 2013 19:22

I thought they were good at the Hollywood Bowl in 2005. I caught them a year later (post coconut tree incident) at Dodger Stadium and I'm still shaking my head. It was the biggest spectacle, fireworks, light show, volume, but I'm not sure if the music was any good. Mick was great, and it was the first time I remember really being impressed by him. It was a hell of a show.

I still think there was a little danger vibe on the '78 tour. Keith looked absolutely ghastly with that heroin pallor. (Even if he was withdrawing). They're playing was sloppier and Keith's bust was unsettled.

I would say the Bridge To Babylon tour, 1997, was a little lackluster. It was a snoozer until they hit the B-Stage.

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: June 18, 2013 19:27

They were great at Dodger Stadium 2006. Bonnie Raitt opened so the the two guitar players HAD to be on their toes. Best Midnight Rambler, ever.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: June 18, 2013 20:56

Keef, and to a lesser extent Ronnie, had some real stinkers during the ABB tour. I saw a 6 shows that tour and it was hit and miss regarding performances. JMO but I think they are playing better this tour then ABB especially Keef. And I think it is ridiculous comparing this tour to anything in the 70's as any of those tours blow away anything after 2000's IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 20:59 by oldschool.

Date: June 18, 2013 22:53

oldschool
Keef, and to a lesser extent Ronnie, had some real stinkers during the ABB tour. I saw a 6 shows that tour and it was hit and miss regarding performances. JMO but I think they are playing better this tour then ABB especially Keef. And I think it is ridiculous comparing this tour to anything in the 70's as any of those tours blow away anything after 2000's IMHO.

I guess you are right (I like 81/82 also) but one thing that wasn't always very good in the 70s was Jagger's voice and his singing style was also a little annoying in 75/76, as for band's playing and especially guitars the clear watershed is 82, everything after that is not at the same level though there have been really good concerts also later but something had changed when they came back in 89.

But as for Mick Jagger he has kept his level very, very well, I must admit this though I'm a big, big Keith fan. If the whole band had kept the level of MJ we could even nowadays have just unbelievable concerts, now we have only great concerts.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 18, 2013 23:01

75 was Jagger's low point IMO, for the rest of the band it came much later while mick oddly has aged quite well and from 89 on has been actually singing (not something he always did in the 70s)

Date: June 18, 2013 23:09

For me I like Jagger's voice back in the 60's, 70's, 80 & 90's then today.

Today It seems to controlled, measured, trained..Fake..While back in the day he was wild
And rocked like Keith's guitar.

Back in 1975 his voice had the hard rock/ punk style so hip back then.
It was exciting. He didn't have to run around as much because his voice
Was just as exciting. .

Anyway at age 70 we really can't compare. Just be happy they are still rocking!

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 18, 2013 23:14

strictly my personal opinion here:

worst:
1975-76 (Mick's vocals sucked)
2005-07 (Keith's guitar playing sucked)

best:
1972-73 (performance quality, Mick Taylor)
2002-03 (performance quality, set list variation)

Date: June 18, 2013 23:30

Also one thing worth mentioning here is the overall feeling of the whole band's stage presence and playing, in the 70s they still had a serious and genuinely aggressive attitude in playing and performing, they were still "dangerous", Keith Richards almost never smiled on stage...Also Jagger was much more serious. In 81/82 they still were quite aggressive on stage but they did have a little lighter attitude. But from -89 they clearly were not anymore so serious, even Keith started smiling on stage, he was not anymore a young outlaw guitar player, so the overall feeling changed to something else (and for the first the nostalgy aspect really came up) , it has been more like entertainment (very good entertainment though) ever since, not a serious thing. When I listen to live recordings or watch videos from the 70s I really miss that serious and aggressive attitude. Also this serious attitude I miss in their studio recordings from -89 till today. But they are not young anymore, they have grandchildren, and they have a different perspective to life in general nowadays, people change, they can't stay the same for ever. Maybe it would be a little ridiculous it they tried to be like young rebellious rock stars at the age of 70.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 23:35 by rollingon.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1582
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home