Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor - Sway Solo...Oh my!
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 14, 2013 22:48

Re: Mick Taylor - Sway Solo...Oh my!
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 14, 2013 23:06

not quite up there with the officially-released one...and i have a few other shows mick did with carla & mac & compnay. - sway was a knockout everytime. you can see why jagger wouldn't want this "cluttering up" a perfectly good stones show, eh?

Date: June 14, 2013 23:08

Ha ha, well you could look at it that way Tod, although if Jagger relented, they would have some bloody good reviews, good reviews sell tickets!

Date: June 14, 2013 23:10

crumbling_mice
Ha ha, well you could look at it that way Tod, although if Jagger relented, they would have some bloody good reviews, good reviews sell tickets!

but we can't have a pouting ronnie....he'd be back on the sauce in no time.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 14, 2013 23:13

Nice, sounds a bit like the...beginning of the solo he played in LA ? What really killed the one in Boston was the thin sound IMHO.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 14, 2013 23:14

Maybe MT & RW can trade solos back and forth... 8 bars or so each time ?

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 14, 2013 23:16

StonesTod
not quite up there with the officially-released one...and i have a few other shows mick did with carla & mac & compnay. - sway was a knockout everytime. you can see why jagger wouldn't want this "cluttering up" a perfectly good stones show, eh?

People say this is Ian McLagen bashing away at the paino on the Mick+Carla Olson Sway? That is my favorite version.

Found on youTube Has about 5 minutes of Mick Taylor solos snaking through it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-14 23:18 by triceratops.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 15, 2013 00:18

The first (partial) Sway solo was recorded by a friend of mine at Slim's in SF on October 11, 1991. He is a long time recorder of Taylor shows in the Bay area. When he heard the Sway performance he was so excited he looked down just to check his recorder and...Damn!...the pause was on! But he got some of it. As well as "You Can't Move In," "Runnin' Back," and "Rescue Fantasy" from the same show. We were at a show and he put his recorder on the stage next to Taylor's pedals. Taylor glanced down and thought he saw four pedals rather than three before he realized what it was. He shook his head, but did not protest. The second solo, the well known "snakes" solo, was recorded during the second show. Carla was not entirely happy with the first show performance. When the song concluded she said "You should have heard the rehearsal." This second show performance prompted no such comment. And, yes, McLagan is on keyboards on that one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-15 00:21 by pmk251.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 15, 2013 00:29

@tricaterops

This second solo is the best of both imo. I've it isolated, because it's so phenomenal:

Date: June 15, 2013 00:46

pmk251
The first (partial) Sway solo was recorded by a friend of mine at Slim's in SF on October 11, 1991. He is a long time recorder of Taylor shows in the Bay area. When he heard the Sway performance he was so excited he looked down just to check his recorder and...Damn!...the pause was on! But he got some of it. As well as "You Can't Move In," "Runnin' Back," and "Rescue Fantasy" from the same show. We were at a show and he put his recorder on the stage next to Taylor's pedals. Taylor glanced down and thought he saw four pedals rather than three before he realized what it was. He shook his head, but did not protest. The second solo, the well known "snakes" solo, was recorded during the second show. Carla was not entirely happy with the first show performance. When the song concluded she said "You should have heard the rehearsal." This second show performance prompted no such comment. And, yes, McLagan is on keyboards on that one.

i believe i did some tape-trading with your friend back in the day....why i didn't attend these slims gigs myself is a mystery to me. i must've missed the memo or something.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 15, 2013 00:50

triceratops
StonesTod

People say this is Ian McLagen bashing away at the paino on the Mick+Carla Olson Sway? That is my favorite version.

Now this is making me sad, please stop posting these. Maybe he should have been guest in the 89/90 tours. He is still an interesting player, but doesn't seem to be at this level anymore. At least I hope he will not have any technical problems anymore on the shows, so he will be able to put his present 100% into the songs he plays on.

Date: June 15, 2013 00:54

Yes, I think Taylor has passed the point of no return regarding playing. Fairly understandable considering his age, health problems and lack of regular playing. Shame they didn;t use him on that tour. Lots of oppertunities missed over the years. Still, Ronnie has done a good job most of the time, apart from his 'bad' years.

Date: June 15, 2013 00:59

<i believe i did some tape-trading with your friend back in the day....why i didn't attend these slims gigs myself is a mystery to me. i must've missed the memo or something.>

My friend also recorded the Bay area Bluesbreakers' Reunion shows in the early '80's. My guess is you did not get the recordings from him, but from another mutual friend who was very generous and busy with recording sharing back then. Both are good guys. My recording friend has funny stories including one where he got busted by an angry Albert King who was on the bill with the Bluesbreakers.

Date: June 15, 2013 01:02

pmk251
<i believe i did some tape-trading with your friend back in the day....why i didn't attend these slims gigs myself is a mystery to me. i must've missed the memo or something.>

My friend also recorded the Bay area Bluesbreakers' Reunion shows in the early '80's. My guess is you did not get the recordings from him, but from another mutual friend who was very generous and busy with recording sharing back then. Both are good guys. My recording friend has funny stories including one where he got busted by an angry Albert King who was on the bill with the Bluesbreakers.

yeah - i went to those bluesbreakers/king shows...and yeah i got all those from either your friend or his friend. it always kinda peeved me off that king opened for mayall. wrong! and not only that but Mayall played King's signature song (oh pretty woman) and not King. WTF????

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 15, 2013 01:07

kleermaker
@tricaterops

This second solo is the best of both imo. I've it isolated, because it's so phenomenal:

Fantastic solo - I'll post it to Ronnie and Mick T tomorrow, then they have something to work on.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: June 15, 2013 04:09

is there a boot of the march 4th 1990 sway 1 show available?thanx in advance

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 15, 2013 04:23

kleermaker
@tricaterops

Your isolation captures this the best (thanks!) Good that the footage is in synch with the sound now. Last time I looked a few years ago it was awful and was better to just listen to the audio only

This moment and MickT on Dead Flowers at the Marquee Club are in my top five Mick Taylor moments. When Mick is in the right space My opinion he can still do 90% as good as you have him here. This tour is not hospitable enough for (sensitive soul) Mick to do this

I kinda like the MT first solo on his +Carla Sway because it is a premonition, the condensed version of the second full one. Like I said, the +Carla version has five minutes of MickTs most masterful soloing snaking through it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-15 04:28 by triceratops.

Posted by: jhrock83 ()
Date: June 15, 2013 04:24

wonderfull solo
MICK YOU ARE THE BEST BUT KEITH IS MY GUITAR HERO

Posted by: stringpull ()
Date: June 15, 2013 04:37

yes this is the best of MT. He's got it right by the tail. He is tryin his best with the Stones but they keep f'n him.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: June 15, 2013 04:39

Kleermaker, I am cornfused... the video isn't synched to the Audio you have... what happened or did you apply the THFS audio over JLB's video ??

I have a few versions of the Video I got from a close source to JLB's master transfer.... not sure what happened to "Fendert" he's a MT fanatic as well. We started the MT Torrent war on Dime 7-8 years ago (or more) and the MT Fanatic PMK and stonestod sounds alot like the 'CK' guy I know... he still posts on here from time to time

Date: June 15, 2013 05:08

<We started the MT Torrent war on Dime 7-8 years ago (or more) and the MT Fanatic PMK and stonestod sounds alot like the 'CK' guy I know... he still posts on here from time to time>

Yep, that's him, a good guy.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: June 15, 2013 08:06

yes really great !
Mick T at his best ..always a real pleasure to listen to !

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 15, 2013 08:47

Excellent Sway

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-16 22:55 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: alexs ()
Date: June 15, 2013 08:52

The first version of Sway at Staples was pretty good (although the great solo cut by MJ) but the other performances did not hold that standard imo.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 15, 2013 12:33

triceratops
StonesTod

It's a shame the Stones can't plug into the song like this. The definitive live version of the song in my opinion, really well arranged and playing to the song's strengths. Not sure Jagger is thinking anything at all when he's singing it now - it's just another tossed off song at another gig. Shame he's so completely empty emotionally. I believe Taylor is still capable of delivering, if he put his mind to it, and stopped playing to the audience and his bandmates. When you think of the level of concentration he afforded those songs when he was a member of the Stones back in the day, when compared to now. Hope he hasn't taken the criticism of his previous 'boring' stage presence too seriously - because it paid dividends ultimately. I'm not implying he could quite reach those heights again, or for that matter compared with what he achieved here, in 91, but he's still capable of glimpses, he just needs that little more focus and consistency, and perhaps practice, and less distractions.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 15, 2013 13:25

Edward Twining
triceratops
StonesTod

It's a shame the Stones can't plug into the song like this. The definitive live version of the song in my opinion, really well arranged and playing to the song's strengths. Not sure Jagger is thinking anything at all when he's singing it now - it's just another tossed off song at another gig. Shame he's so completely empty emotionally. I believe Taylor is still capable of delivering, if he put his mind to it, and stopped playing to the audience and his bandmates. When you think of the level of concentration he afforded those songs when he was a member of the Stones back in the day, when compared to now. Hope he hasn't taken the criticism of his previous 'boring' stage presence too seriously - because it paid dividends ultimately. I'm not implying he could quite reach those heights again, or for that matter compared with what he achieved here, in 91, but he's still capable of glimpses, he just needs that little more focus and consistency, and perhaps practice, and less distractions.

The basic problem is that the whole thing is nowadays (1989-) more like a show and just having fun, not serious concentrating on musical performance, the boring stage presence doesn't bother me at all if the player can deliver like Mick Taylor could. In fact it's hard to take seriously a player who moves around all the time. For a frontman singer it's a totally different thing. I really like the stage presence of the Stones in Hyde Park 1969 for example, that's as far from Las Vegas show as can be! Yes, Taylor should just concentrate on playing and not care about the show at all!

Yes I think you right about Jagger too, he is energetic and his voice is in very good condition but his emotional involvement in the songs (not just Sway but in many other songs too) is not what it used to be, for example in 69 tour he had a very strong emotional charge in his singing and his performing in general, nowadays it's more like a running practise. This is hard to explain but many of us reognize this thing I'm sure. Jagger has himself said that the whole business changed to a less serious thing (mentally less serious) in late 70s. In monetary wise it has changed to a lot more serious but the art has suffered.

I think this lack of serious emotional involvement and focusing also shows up in their studio records from 89-, there has been some very good ideas for songs in these records but the final arrangements and emotional level in the singing and so on just hasn't been convincing. Also, if you listen to Jagger's solo records the problem is obvious (Wandering Spirit, there are some real feelings also), So Jagger's problem is that he is an outstanding performer but he just doesn't seem to get the real feeling into the songs, not like he used to get. Okay, I understand that it can be really heavy to take thing seriously all the time, and Jagger has said that he thinks it's not good take oneself too seriously, so maybe there is some kind of defensive mechanism there.

Posted by: grubbetuchus ()
Date: June 16, 2013 22:47

I'm still seeing the elephant in the room as I read through this measured discussion. One simple question, have any of the Sway solos been blistering hot?

The original studio version playing as good as it gets.

The Carla Olson versions had moments.

What about these? Woodie's slide solos fail. And Taylor's closing shots ..... I'll let folks conclude what they want but I don't see anyone interrupting their Passover dinners to rave about and rate any one particular current Sway solo. But -- keep this in mind -- that's still no one like Mick Taylor.

Once I saw Willie Mays when he was with the Mets. He hit the ball and it soared way up and out of park right along the first base line. And it went over the fence. It was amazing. I thought, "Wow, no one can hit a foul ball out of the park like my hero Willie Mays." Then he struck out. That was the most amazing at bat that I had ever seen. It rested soley on the laurels of the player.

Date: June 16, 2013 23:01

grubbetuchus
I'm still seeing the elephant in the room as I read through this measured discussion. One simple question, have any of the Sway solos been blistering hot?

The original studio version playing as good as it gets.

The Carla Olson versions had moments.

What about these? Woodie's slide solos fail. And Taylor's closing shots ..... I'll let folks conclude what they want but I don't see anyone interrupting their Passover dinners to rave about and rate any one particular current Sway solo. But -- keep this in mind -- that's still no one like Mick Taylor.

Once I saw Willie Mays when he was with the Mets. He hit the ball and it soared way up and out of park right along the first base line. And it went over the fence. It was amazing. I thought, "Wow, no one can hit a foul ball out of the park like my hero Willie Mays." Then he struck out. That was the most amazing at bat that I had ever seen. It rested soley on the laurels of the player.

he also dropped a routine fly ball in that 73 series using his signature basket style....it was an AMAZIN drop, though....

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: June 16, 2013 23:08

The only real bright spot to this Tour has been MT's play. Why they have him on only 2 songs is the real tragedy. Like keeping a Ferrari in the garage...

Posted by: grubbetuchus ()
Date: June 16, 2013 23:17

You keep your nice car in the garage so that your neighbors don't feel bad about their jelopies and jeeps. And when it's their car show you don't want to draw too much attention that for all these years they've had no virtuso guitar playing, nothing at all worth bragging about. All they had was a groove and a sound and they even had an expert tambourine player.

They've become a cover band, covering album versions of their own songs. I would like them to play at my bar mitzvah, they're pretty good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home