Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Doesn't Taylor have a guitar tech?
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 17, 2013 02:32

svt22
Seemingly, MT is using both the VT40 and the Magnatone. Just in case someone is interested.

How can you tell? is it just a backup amp
.... or is it switched between solo and rythm sounds?

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 17, 2013 11:51

I have no reason to doubt it. The first night in Boston, the VT40 wasn't miked properly.

Date: June 17, 2013 11:56

Wasn't it more like Pierre didn't give him the proper feed off the effect pedals?

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 17, 2013 12:16

DandelionPowderman
Wasn't it more like Pierre didn't give him the proper feed off the effect pedals?

I don't know more details DP, but the story is coming from Taylor himself.

Date: June 17, 2013 12:16

svt22
DandelionPowderman

I don't know more details DP, but the story is coming from Taylor himself.

OK, thanks!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 17, 2013 22:35

svt22
I have no reason to doubt it. The first night in Boston, the VT40 wasn't miked properly.

Bollocks.

Mathijs

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: November 17, 2014 04:42

When Pierre was testing Mick Taylor's guitar before the show at one of the Australia gigs I noticed, that Mick Taylor will be using 2 amps. One is an Ampeg placed under Chuck's keyboards, the other one is a small white thing placed between Keith's Fenders and Darryll's Ampeg. What is the make and model of the white amp?

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: November 17, 2014 05:46

latvianinexile
When Pierre was testing Mick Taylor's guitar before the show at one of the Australia gigs I noticed, that Mick Taylor will be using 2 amps. One is an Ampeg placed under Chuck's keyboards, the other one is a small white thing placed between Keith's Fenders and Darryll's Ampeg. What is the make and model of the white amp?

Looks to be this:

Oahu Amps

Here is a cool nugget from the page above:

"In mid 2005, one of the earliest Oahu amp customers, Mr. Keith Richards (in 1996 he bought 10 amps) contacted Oliver to see if he could buy more. During the 2006 concert in Omaha, Nebraska, a formal order was placed for 20 more of the Oahu amps. Since Mr. Richards ask for an exclusivity on the classic B/W vinyl coving, we do not offer that style anymore."

EDIT: Are you sure this isn't one of Keith's? The pages at the Oahu site have photos of Keith's onstage amp lineup in 2006/2007 with this white Oahu among his Fender amps.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-17 05:52 by rocker1.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 17, 2014 06:11

The Oahu is one of Keith's amps.

Date: November 17, 2014 10:20

rocker1
latvianinexile

EDIT: Are you sure this isn't one of Keith's? The pages at the Oahu site have photos of Keith's onstage amp lineup in 2006/2007 with this white Oahu among his Fender amps.

I can't be 100% sure, but this is what I observed: Pierre was behind the small white amp with Mick T's guitar and strumming it. Then he fiddled around with the white amp or turned a knob. Then he walked over to the Ampeg amp on Chuck's side strummed Mick's guitar once more and fiddled around with the Ampeg. After that he put the guitar back in the guitar stand.

Here in Australia was the first time I noticed that Oahu amp being on stage. Can it be that it belongs to Keith, but Mick T is using it? I would't believe that Mick Taylor is dragging around all those different amps or buying them while on the road since 2012. He doesn't even have extra guitar handy when he breaks a sring.

Date: November 17, 2014 11:57

Here's a pic from Shanghai earlier this year. There's a monitor speaker where now is the Oahu amp.

Posted by: sodapop ()
Date: November 17, 2014 16:36

In Ron Wood's book he talks a little bit about Mick Taylor's guitar volume (at least in reference when M. Taylor sat in on the 1981/Kansas City show).

In Mick Taylor's "Hot Licks" guitar instructional video with Arlen Roth - M. Taylor seemed unprepared, bored, fidgety and snippy.

M. Taylor is much more melodic than either Wood or Richards. Would have been nice to hear him develop more instead of getting fat, grumpy and bitter.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: November 17, 2014 20:19

His Majesty
He always wants to be louder than the rest of the band.

>grinning smiley<

Yes he does and that's not the best for him.

Date: November 17, 2014 20:33

A comment made by His Majesty before he saw the light smiling smiley

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: November 17, 2014 20:53

I think HM is right.

Everytime I've seen MT playing with the Stones or with Ronnie, when it come to his part he's always asking for more volume. And when he doesn't get it he starts being grumpy.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: November 17, 2014 21:07

I like his playing when he's loud and grumpy.smoking smiley

Date: November 17, 2014 21:09

As long as he's happy...

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 18, 2014 00:49

IMO, this sort of stress, nervosity MT has on stage, frequently unsatisfied with the amp, is maybe one of the reason he is not playing more on stage on the current tour

Nothing to do with money ,or personal issue, - he is just restless on the stage, the opposite of quite MT of 1972 -

You often see him doing all kind of gesture, not too much at ease... Maybe it is due to his just-one-song performance, like jumping out of the cage... So he is restless partly because he does one song only, and maybe he is doing one song only because he is restless, the opposite of the Stones trademark cool attitude

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 18, 2014 01:36

He asks for more volume because he does not hear himself as clearly as he wishes. As a performer he's entitled to a monitor position that satisfies him and it should not interfere with the other players monitors all that much. I am certain Jagger's monitor is incredibly loud as well as Keith's guitar. To be pointing to Taylor as being in any way wrong in demanding what he needs is a misunderstanding of how stage monitoring should work. He needs what he needs to play the way he plays and he should have it. Sound and crew are there to serve the performers but they've clearly been directed to not let Taylor be 100% happy. The punishment should end.

Date: November 18, 2014 02:04

To be pointing to Taylor as being in any way wrong in demanding what he needs is a misunderstanding of how stage monitoring should work

Thanks for that, this is a new light/ cast some of us did not know about

Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: November 18, 2014 02:05

Employing a guitar tech for one song would seem to be overkill, IMO.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 18, 2014 02:14

Considering Taylor has been out of the stadium/arena style of performing for more than 40 years I think he's just generally not used to the sound on stage in that big of a room. He's used to playing theaters and clubs---not arenas anymore. Additionally, he's been used to being the only person on stage taking the full lead on the sound. He hasn't been in a band setting like the Stones since he left them. He's always been a leader of his own band and he appears to have gotten used to being the "star" on stage, forgetting how to equally share the sound with other players who demand that same space along with him.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 18, 2014 02:41

Fiddling with the amp on stage is more reflective of an improper sound check or maybe something has changed since the sound check.

If it was his monitor mix (ie he couldn't hear himself) you would see him nod to the side of the stage and point up to indicate he needed his monitor turned up.

Not sure since I wasn't at the show but did he have his own monitor? Was he positioned in front of a slanted speaker facing up at his head or was he relying on his backline amps to hear himself or is everyone using in-ear monitors? peace

Date: November 18, 2014 03:08

Naturalust
Fiddling with the amp on stage is more reflective of an improper sound check or maybe something has changed since the sound check.

If it was his monitor mix (ie he couldn't hear himself) you would see him nod to the side of the stage and point up to indicate he needed his monitor turned up.

Not sure since I wasn't at the show but did he have his own monitor? Was he positioned in front of a slanted speaker facing up at his head or was he relying on his backline amps to hear himself or is everyone using in-ear monitors? peace

Jagger has in-ear monitors, don't think Taylor has some but can't be 100% sure as Taylor's hair covers up his ears completely. Taylor moves around the stage quite a bit, he even follows Jagger around so one single monitor in front of Taylor wouldn't do the job. Taylor would have to rely on more than one sound source on stage like monitors under the stage floor where the it's is covered with round grilles.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 18, 2014 03:13

AussieMark
Employing a guitar tech for one song would seem to be overkill, IMO.

Not to mention Mick (Jagger) wouldn't like the expense.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 18, 2014 03:48

latvianinexile
Naturalust

Jagger has in-ear monitors, don't think Taylor has some but can't be 100% sure as Taylor's hair covers up his ears completely. Taylor moves around the stage quite a bit, he even follows Jagger around so one single monitor in front of Taylor wouldn't do the job. Taylor would have to rely on more than one sound source on stage like monitors under the stage floor where the it's is covered with round grilles.

Thanks. If he's moving around a alot, he's probably got in ear monitors. I guess he's just unhappy with the way his amp or effects are working during the show. I must admit I've never seen Keith or Ronnie act similarly during the middle of a song. Maybe Keith told Pierre to keep MT's volume under control, confused smiley At this level of performance those things aren't supposed to happen. Now I'm really curious. peace

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: November 18, 2014 05:12

The Joker
IMO, this sort of stress, nervosity MT has on stage, frequently unsatisfied with the amp, is maybe one of the reason he is not playing more on stage on the current tour

Nothing to do with money ,or personal issue, - he is just restless on the stage, the opposite of quite MT of 1972 -

You often see him doing all kind of gesture, not too much at ease... Maybe it is due to his just-one-song performance, like jumping out of the cage... So he is restless partly because he does one song only, and maybe he is doing one song only because he is restless, the opposite of the Stones trademark cool attitude

Best one yet. The capacity of certain posters on this board to come up with ever more creative explanations for why Taylor isn't playing more, in which Taylor himself (rather than Jagger or Richards) is invariably to blame, never ceases to amaze me

Date: November 18, 2014 06:25

Stoneburst
The Joker

Best one yet. The capacity of certain posters on this board to come up with ever more creative explanations for why Taylor isn't playing more, in which Taylor himself (rather than Jagger or Richards) is invariably to blame, never ceases to amaze me

Hi Ben

sorry you are restless too ;-)

Read carefully

- I said "maybe"

- There was another post, after mine, which gave an interesting explanation about monitoring, and I did notice it

- we still don't exactly know why the Stones have taken their former top-class guitarist for one song only during this tour some mentionned money, some they said the Stones would not want a 70s nostalgia act, some talked about MT being a quitter - well my two cent comment, for having the privelege to see the Stones live before MT quitted, and also the privilege to see 9 shows of the 50 aniversary tour, is that MT SEEMS not to at ease on stage, even he maybe also on fire, happy and bewildered

So, I just say it may not be the best bet (hypothesis) for the Stones to work many numbers with MT if they want to keep that flawless sound on stage - 2014 standard -

Another point, on that direction, is that the Stones have rehearsed many songs with MT (which seems to point they are enjoying it) but so far have only played three different songs with him on stage in two years -

So yes, the fact of MT not too much playing on stage with the Stones in 2014 may have to do with the fact they don't want to change too much the sound of some songs, and that his playing (which I like much) is a bit "disturbing" in the present flawless-oriented, much controlled sound of the Stones of the 21 century.

Date: November 18, 2014 08:47

Something always change between soundcheck and showtime smiling smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 18, 2014 11:05

I don't know why Mick so often appears to have problems, but sure it has nothing to do with the stadium setting, the Stones, sabotages, Keith or Mick's ego etc.

I've seen Taylor many times along the years playing in his own band, with his own setup, and very often he appears to have similar "technical" problems: with the amp, with pedals pedals, with monitors, tuning, whatever.

Yesterday I bumped into this video of Knocking at the London Cadogan Hall

video: [www.youtube.com]

Again, around 2 minutes into the song ...

By the way, I truly love the elaboration of the lick that introduces the jam section of this Knocking.

C

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2003
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home