Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ronnie's role in the Stones
Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: March 22, 2005 20:08

mr edward Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> BS. I wasn't aiming at making fun of Mick Taylor
> or trying to say that he's too fat or old to play
> with the Stones. There was a comment by Jack Knife
> on his looks and I just added a picture. I'm sure

Do you know what show that picture is from? I tried bobtieblues.com, but could not access the site.

> I agreed with Jack that it would be strange
> to see Mick Taylor perform with them NOW because
> of his looks, because all the Stones are so damn
> skinny. And I think Ronnies afghan hound like face
> suits the Stones better.

Some care about the visuals; others about the sound. I don't care how large Bobby Keys gets, I'd rather hear him than most other living saxophonists with *the Stones*, and I'm glad and grateful to see him on stage with them. And I'd never want them to replace him just because they found someone skinnier.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 22, 2005 20:42

The picture was taken at a Belgian "Rock 'N' Blues Festival" in Harelbeke. Date: june, 26, 2004. Mick played with the "Andy Sharrocks Band" and had technical problems during the performance, but delivered a beautiful solo on "Stop Breaking Down". The review (in Dutch) is fairely negative...

This is the link: [www.bobtjeblues.com]

edward

PS Music is the priority offcourse. No doubt about that.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 22, 2005 20:53

Vibrato something every lead guitarist should STRIVE for or why bother playing
in a band and calling yourself a musician.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 22, 2005 21:22

No matter how fat Mick T. is, he still stands head and shoulders above Ronnie Wood. I saw him live at the 100 Club in London in '03, and his performance was amazing. I was also at the Stones Astoria show that same week, and dare I say that Mick Taylors show was better? Slightly an exaggeration, but the fact is he still plays a mean guitar, and the Stones are sorely missing his virtuosity...regardless of whether he looks like a gargantuan or not.

If you had a special concert titled "Mick T. and friends"...and Mick Jagger showed up, I can guarantee it would be talked about for decades, unlike Ronnies recent attempt to make history. While Ronnies show had rave reviews from over-enthusiastic Stones fans, the fact remains that it will be just a small footnote in the the history of the band, a small dot in the big picture.

Date: March 22, 2005 22:06

""...if you've seen recent pictures of Mick Taylor you will see how sad a spectacle it would be visually had he stayed on! Ronnie makes a Stones show a Stones SHOW.""

I've seen a recent pictures and i don't care about his look.
He is a fat man and he look so old...but his guitar is still amazing.
Ronnie 'makes a stones show a stones show' but his guitar is often absent.
If you want a clown or a top-model i'm agree with you...if you want a great guitarist, his name is Mick taylor.

Posted by: JamesBurton ()
Date: March 22, 2005 22:19

<<If you want a clown or a top-model i'm agree with you...if you want a great guitarist, his name is Mick taylor>>

Can't say I agree with you there. While Ronnie's playing has been on and off the past few years and has become increasingly marginalized in the band (a chicken and egg scenario to some degree), I think it is hardly a sophisticated nor correct argument to imply Ronnie isn't a great guitarist as well. Sadly Ronnie has become the king of inconsistency, but I must say on a good night he ranks among the best. Slide on that for a while...

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 22, 2005 22:22

Boy,
This is getting a little ugly............maybe I need to post a joke smiling smiley

Keith of course is completely straight

Date: March 22, 2005 22:35

<<If you had a special concert titled "Mick T. and friends"...and Mick Jagger showed up, I can guarantee it would be talked about for decades>>

By whom? Maybe by the loyal following of Mick T fans here on this forum, but in terms of the general public, most people never have heard of him nor really care. He has done some good work with a number of artists, but has never been able to stand alone in the studio nor as a celebrity power of any sort. Ron Wood is very well recognized, partly because his longevity with the Stones, but also the great deal of high-profile guest appearances (Rod Stewart, Corrs, etc) he has done in the past decade. In terms of getting people to tune in or buy an album, that realm belongs to Ronnie, not Mick Taylor.

Another factor to consider is that while Mick Taylor did some phenomenal work with the Stones and other artists, his solo albums, well, stink. I think only Mick Taylor is surpassed by Eric Burdon (in the 1990s) in producing instantly dated, schmalzy solo stuff. Ron's albums have better stood the test of time, have a strong blues undercurrent, and really get down and rock. Plain and simple, Mick Taylor, like James Burton, is one of rock's great sidemen, nothing more, nothing less.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 22, 2005 22:42

Well I saw the same performance by Mick Taylor at 100 Club, and could not help but think how great the RS version was with Ronnie, Keith, Bobby & Mick I had just heard in the same city just before that was so much more "alive". I did actually miss it, even if I do also love it every time Mick T plays "Knoking" on his own shows. Mick Taylor plays the blues, always did, always does, and it is nothing like the Rolling Stones. I don't even understand why people keep comparing.

Bjornulf

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 22, 2005 23:43

Unlike Mick T's headline-making, sellout club tours and extensive body of solo work? Mick was a great Stone, a fine guitarist - but he needed a band of equals, including a vocalist and songwriters, post-Stones, & personal problems prevented that from happening. I mean nothing negative when I express my incredulity at the comment "Vibrato is something every lead guitarist should strive for..." - like any technique, isnt it a means to an end? Character, personality, attitude, emotion - expression? And I always thought Strange Brew was an Albert King cop.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: March 23, 2005 00:01

Mick Taylor is fat but boy can he play.
Really, at this stage of the game, none
of the Stones look too good anymore,
but I don't see where this matters................?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 23, 2005 00:12

JamesBurton Wrote:
> >
> Another factor to consider is that while Mick
> Taylor did some phenomenal work with the Stones
> and other artists, his solo albums, well, stink. I
> think only Mick Taylor is surpassed by Eric Burdon
> (in the 1990s) in producing instantly dated,
> schmalzy solo stuff.

Excuse me? How did Burdon get dragged into this? What schmaltzy Burdon albums? Have you even heard his latest (2004's My Secret Life)? As good an album as I've heard the past decade. And, oh by the by, Burdon didn't even produce any albums in the 90's...his last one before this was in 1985.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-23 00:13 by T&A.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: March 23, 2005 00:31

T& A - this J. Burton fellow has he head up his ARSE!!!

I'll take Taylor's solo work over Ronnies any day!!!

MLC

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: March 23, 2005 12:52

I saw few days ago the movie Man From The Elysian Fields, and despite that the film was quite weak and Andy Garcia being an actor withouth any charisma, jeez, I was shocked how terrible Jagger really looks nowadays. I don't know if that was done in purpose (can Jagger really be so brave that purposively lets himself look ugly?), but his face was more wrinkled than Keith's. He was quite chrarismatic in his own over-acting pimpy way, and he surely has that pretty gayish British accent, but his face is similar to frog's ass. My girlfriend, who is not a Rolling Stone fan (but she is in the middle of hard education) couldn't help but laugh - afterwards I needed to show her Rock&Roll Circus to prove why that man is a big star in the first place, and how goddamn handsome his looks once were... I don't how much make up is used in the Stones concerts to hide "the truth", but the times of close-up photos are long gone.

But that "fat boy", he surely can play that instrument, but he seems to have many off-nights too - and his weakness is that when his playing is not very inspired he can not hide behind his showmanship like someone else(s).. I have wittnessed almost embarrassing gig from him, but also some very good ones.

- Doxa

Date: March 23, 2005 13:16

T&A, not that it matters all that much, but here are Burdon's releases in the 1990s, some authorized, one not, and a few collaborations. Most were panned by critics and I think if you listen with an objective ear, you could hear why. Burdon's "I Used to Be An Animal" probably ranks in my top 5 of worst songs I've ever heard. Can't say I've heard Burdon's 2004 album; hope he got it back together. Would make for a nice story.

Eric Burdon and the Animals (2nd Reunion Album)
Ark
Castle Music UK (April 3, 1997)

Eric Burdon
Lost Within the Halls of Fame
Jet Records (CD 1011) (England 1995)

Eric Burdon - Brian Auger Band
Access All Areas
SPV 086-93812 Double CD
SPV Records (Germany, 1994)

Eric Burdon
Sings The Animals Greatest Hits
(The Best Of British Rock)
Avenue Records / Rhino Records R2 71708 (CD), 1994

The Eric Burdon Band
Sun Secrets
Rhino Records (May 4, 1993)

Eric Burdon
I Used To Be An Animal
Striped Horse Records, Inc. 1988
SHL2006

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: March 23, 2005 14:16

Why the @#$%&. every thread about Ronnie has to be turned onto a Taylor-was-better discussion?????????????? I'm getting so tired about vibrato and BS like that...

Come on mates, face it, Mick Taylor is no longer in the band, and as I stated some days ago, he has a place in the Rock History only because he played lead guitar for the Stones, nothing more, nothing less.

My favourite era for the Stones is the Taylor years, but it really is a pain in the ass to see how every thread with news about Ronnie, or comments about his role in the band or in the forthcoming album developes into a "Taylor was better" discurse...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: March 23, 2005 14:39

Well said Bruno!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 23, 2005 21:15

I thought Jagger was good in E Fields, and it was a pretty good film. So was Andy Garcia. It had a literate script. The scene where he gets rejected by the client is very strong. Jagger is 62 this July. Would you rather Jagger get facelifts? I dont think he hides behind showmanship - he's a great showman, as well as singer/songwriter. By the way, what does 'pretty gayish English accent' mean??

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: March 23, 2005 21:18

I LOVE MICK'S VOICE & ACCENTS!!!

[p207.ezboard.com]

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 23, 2005 22:31

JamesBurton Wrote:
> T&A, not that it matters all that much, but
> here are Burdon's releases in the 1990s, some
> authorized, one not, and a few collaborations.
> Most were panned by critics and I think if you
> >
>

It matters if you're interested in reporting the facts. All of those you list are re-issued product - none originated in the 90's as you suggested in your prior post. Burdon didn't record a single studio track for almost 20 years (1985-2004). And when he finally succumbed...oh, my! ANd, I happen to think I Used to Be an Animal is a killer song, album and book. I think you better check your facts before you make an off-handed remark about someone whose work you are obviously not too familiar with.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: March 24, 2005 08:17

Ronnie Wood could never play a solo ? Get the corncobs out of your ears. Just because he never ran up and down a blues scale so neat and clean (like MT was so PREDICTABLY doing on Goats Head Soup and all of IORR (yes even Time Waits For No One) does not mean he couldnt belt them out. Ronnie brought some raggedness back and played the hell out of songs. Check your albums, have you ever seen them live? Have you ever heard some of the boots. Ronnie brought back some slash,burn, funk and grit to the Stones.

The band never would have survived the 70's with Taylor. He had his moments but they became very precdictable, especially the one long gigantic solo and flurry of notes on every song after the little 71 tour.

MT Legacy: Extremely talented guitar player,played a few great guitar
solo's. Quit The Worlds Greatest Rock N Roll band and woke up the rest of his
life asking "What did I do?". Solo career ? non-existant. In the end low IQ
and over-rated

Nothing personal against the guy but thats what the last 30 years has shown.
HE HAS DONE NOTHING WORTH MENTIONING SINCE LEAVING THE STONES. OVER-RATED.

Milo, NYC
When The Whip Comes Down

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 24, 2005 08:27

Wooooo...bolt ya door Milo the Vibrato Boys wont be happy..!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: roby ()
Date: March 24, 2005 10:25

The band never would have survived the 70's with Taylor. He had his moments but they became very precdictable, especially the one long gigantic solo and flurry of notes on every song after the little 71 tour.

Perhaps but not sure, sorry.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 24, 2005 12:47

The sad truth is the stones have done nothing since taylor left they put out one
good record in Some Girls.They sold out and play their hits.There 20 year run
was over in making great records.

Ron Wood has tin tone and his contributions with the stones have been in the
studio where he is safe and does not have to play to a live audience.

Did you see him say to himself on his solo on CYHMK from the HBO special.Into
his solo before he starts running he says I think I got it.Well thats a real
confident muscian.

SAD SAD SAD

Posted by: roby ()
Date: March 24, 2005 13:01

OpenG Wrote:
>
> Did you see him say to himself on his solo on
> CYHMK from the HBO special.Into
> his solo before he starts running he says I think
> I got it.Well thats a real
> confident muscian.
>
> SAD SAD SAD

Yes I see. You're purely right

Date: March 24, 2005 16:53

john r Wrote:
> I thought Jagger was good in E Fields, and it was
> a pretty good film. So was Andy Garcia. It had a
> literate script. The scene where he gets rejected
> by the client is very strong. Jagger is 62 this
> July. Would you rather Jagger get facelifts? I
> dont think he hides behind showmanship - he's a
> great showman, as well as singer/songwriter. By
> the way, what does 'pretty gayish English accent'
> mean??

Haa, someone noticed my provocative piece of crap!

About the quality of the film: I was disapponted when I finally got the possibilty to see the film, namely I've read some positive reviews of it. It has a nice idea and a purpose, but somehow it just turns out to be boring and breathless instead of being "literate" or fine tuned. It just doesn't meet my "European art film standards", if you know what I mean? smiling smiley But Jagger is absolutely the best thing in it, and his performance makes the film interesting, but I don't know if that is only due to the fact that he is Mick Jagger and I am his fan. Surely he is better than in that stupid scifi movie whatever it was called. Now he seems to do some real acting.

And dear John R, I really don't mind if my hero looks nowadays the way Truman Capote once described him to look like smiling smiley My point was just to marginalize the critisism of Mick Taylor' looks. None of them are really pretty boys nowadays, if that really matters. I hope not.

About 'pretty gayish English accent'... you need to figure that out just by yourself..smiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-24 16:56 by Rorty.

Date: March 24, 2005 16:59

Miss U. Wrote:
> I LOVE MICK'S VOICE & ACCENTS!!!
>

Well, me too!!

- Doxa

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 24, 2005 17:45

OpenG Wrote:
> The sad truth is the stones have done nothing
> since taylor left they put out one
> good record in Some Girls.They sold out and play
> their hits.There 20 year run
> was over in making great records.

Have you ever heard Tattoo You or Voodoo Lounge?
Have you ever heard the '78 tour on Handsome girls or the '81 tour on Hampton?
The band was great before MT, with MT and after MT. You are not a stones fan if you can only talk about someone who has been with the band for a couple of years. To me, and i think almost everybody, it is about the band not just one guy!!!

I don't know how old you are but i hope you have seen them live in the early seventies or else it would be very frustrating for you to see and hear a band you excually don't like.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Ronnie's role in the Stones
Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: March 24, 2005 17:46

While I agree that MT vaunting and Ronnie bashing can be left out of pro-Ronnie threads, it's hard not to respond to MT bashing.

Milo Yammbag Wrote:
Just because he never
> ran up and down a blues scale so neat and clean
> (like MT was so PREDICTABLY doing on Goats Head
> Soup and all of IORR (yes even Time Waits For No
> One)

MT did not play blues scales in Star Star. The rhythmic interplay with Richards was great. Short & Curlies does not have the narrative style of his solos in various other songs and is quite different from MT's "narrative" solos. MT did the rhythm guitar on Heartbreaker. If MT's work on Angie is predictable, you're incredibly clairvoyant. Silver Train--did you listen to this stuff before writing?--runs up and down the blues scale? (As far as slide styles is concerned, his "Robert Nighthawk" approach here is different from his E James approach elsewhere.)

> The band never would have survived the 70's with
> Taylor.

Yes, even MT thought so at the time.

> He had his moments but they became very
> precdictable, especially the one long gigantic
> solo and flurry of notes on every song after the
> little 71 tour.

If they were so predictable, why do fans put together solos of his YCAGWYW and LIV solos on discs just to listen to the variations? Because they are not predictable, and his level of improvisational creativity is incredible.

While there are note flurries, I understand these in terms of the story he is telling. One can hear the rhythmic variations, tempo changes, the melodic immediacy, etc. all in a GS solo, or you can just back off and hear note flurries.

> In the end low IQ
> > Nothing personal against the guy but thats what
> the last 30 years has shown.

Comments like "low IQ" really suggests this is nothing but personal.

> HE HAS DONE NOTHING WORTH MENTIONING SINCE
> LEAVING THE STONES. OVER-RATED.

I'll be happy to mention his--

-two solo studio albums and one live album, which I listen to regularly
-his live album with Carla Olsen, which is great, including the extended version of Sway
-the live album with Dylan
-the video with blues artists from the '82 Bluesbreakers tour

On tour, his work with Dylan and Bluesbreakers reunions shows he was still growing after the Stones. The shows he did with Keys/Hopkins-Neville in the early 90s provided great covers of KCurtis and CHYMK. His playing in the last few years, both with the Bluesbreakers and on his own shows he still has his chops.

Also, it's hard to see that he is "over-rated". For the last four "top 100" guitarist lists (which are popularity polls for magazine editors and their readers) I've seen, MT turned up on one. For me, he is underrated.

Hopefully, the thread can return to "Ronnie's role in the Stones"

>
> Milo, NYC
> When The Whip Comes Down

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 24, 2005 17:55

It is amazing that people like OpenG don't think the Stones have done anything before or after Mick Taylor was in the band. To me this just sounds like someone who really dislikes Mick, Keith and especially Ronnie Wood and Brian Jones.

And to say they sold out and only play their hits, look at the set lists in the early 70's. No surprises, just their hits with a couple of new songs thrown in the set.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1421
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home