Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Some Girls 35th anniversary
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 11, 2013 23:29

I agree that Some Girls is their best material since EOMS, even better than tatoo you. The music has feeling and it also has that "hit" quality. As good as the songs are live, they still hold up on the album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-11 23:31 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 11, 2013 23:47

DandelionPowderman
What is "more musical" anyway? To me, Far Away Eyes is just as "musical" as Dead Flowers. That goes for the steel guitar solo vs Taylor's DF-solo as well.

I can see the difference between Moonlight Mile and a more groove-based Beast Of Burden, though smiling smiley

I believe you have just answered your own question, Dandelion. It's really not worth going through each song individually to make comparisons. Just a more general listen to the albums in question should suffice.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 11, 2013 23:55

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Doxa
I am afraid the future history writing, as a general interest, will be rather cruel for it.

- Doxa

I draw that conclusions after a couple of months (svt22 was a smarter guy than I am). In the beginning I thought it was a fantastic album. But it's plastic fantastic. It's unbelievably superficial and finally hasn't stand the test of time. However, those who grew up with it will certainly have good memories of it. The only song that will remain is BoB. BoB will survive, the rest of it not. A musical joke at best imo.

Why is Hide Your Love not a musical joke, while the track Some Girls is?

Both are bluesy, with the best instrumentation you can get, and Jagger in top form.

Those two tracks makes a good comparison - also between the albums, imo. Is SG really a (musical) joke - when you actually LISTEN?

There are many examples:

Beast Of Burden
Before They Make Me Run
Miss You
Imagination
Respectable

I can see that some would consider Far Away Eyes and Shattered too light-hearted, though. IMO, the tracks are a good balancer for the other tracks, making the album less one-dimensional.

WTF, Miss You "won't survive"???

It's one of their biggest hits, and you think it's gonna fade away all of a sudden?

Hide Your Love is a nice blues: simple but effective piano, great guitar, a nice groove. It's part of the typical GHS mood.

The song SG has such childisn and unworthy lyrics. Not even funny at all. It's bluesy perhaps, but not convincing. I admit that I liked it in the beginning, but after a while I became a wiser man. It'll happen to you too some day I dare to predict.

The other songs you mentioned:
BoB: agreed, a great song. Will survive as I've said already.
BTMMR: there's something wrong with it, it's not cool, Keith "'Cause I did my time in hell" Come on!
Imagination: a cover doesn't count in my view.
Respectable: a musical joke, superficial. Exemplaric for the album.
Miss You: the worst Stones song ever. In one word: whiny. In two: bad disco. In more words: hahahahahahaha (repeat) hahahaha oh baby why you wait so long. Need I say more? No!

Btw I don't care about hits, do you? So many hits you don't like. It's a bad criterion, if it is one. After 50 years Banquet, Bleed, Exile and Fingers will still be there, but the Girls have gone then. My prediction. We'll see!

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 11, 2013 23:55

Edward Twining
DandelionPowderman
What is "more musical" anyway? To me, Far Away Eyes is just as "musical" as Dead Flowers. That goes for the steel guitar solo vs Taylor's DF-solo as well.

I can see the difference between Moonlight Mile and a more groove-based Beast Of Burden, though smiling smiley

I believe you have just answered your own question, Dandelion. It's really not worth going through each song individually to make comparisons. Just a more general listen to the albums in question should suffice.

I disagree completely..... an African drummer is just as musical as a Mozart symphony. More instruments does not mean more musical, neither does more complexity...... I would argue the opposite, but I am a Stones fan.

Date: June 12, 2013 00:00

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Doxa
I am afraid the future history writing, as a general interest, will be rather cruel for it.

- Doxa

I draw that conclusions after a couple of months (svt22 was a smarter guy than I am). In the beginning I thought it was a fantastic album. But it's plastic fantastic. It's unbelievably superficial and finally hasn't stand the test of time. However, those who grew up with it will certainly have good memories of it. The only song that will remain is BoB. BoB will survive, the rest of it not. A musical joke at best imo.

Why is Hide Your Love not a musical joke, while the track Some Girls is?

Both are bluesy, with the best instrumentation you can get, and Jagger in top form.

Those two tracks makes a good comparison - also between the albums, imo. Is SG really a (musical) joke - when you actually LISTEN?

There are many examples:

Beast Of Burden
Before They Make Me Run
Miss You
Imagination
Respectable

I can see that some would consider Far Away Eyes and Shattered too light-hearted, though. IMO, the tracks are a good balancer for the other tracks, making the album less one-dimensional.

WTF, Miss You "won't survive"???

It's one of their biggest hits, and you think it's gonna fade away all of a sudden?

Hide Your Love is a nice blues: simple but effective piano, great guitar, a nice groove. It's part of the typical GHS mood.

The song SG has such childisn and unworthy lyrics. Not even funny at all. It's bluesy perhaps, but not convincing. I admit that I liked it in the beginning, but after a while I became a wiser man. It'll happen to you too some day I dare to predict.

The other songs you mentioned:
BoB: agreed, a great song. Will survive as I've said already.
BTMMR: there's something wrong with it, it's not cool, Keith "'Cause I did my time in hell" Come on!
Imagination: a cover doesn't count in my view.
Respectable: a musical joke, superficial. Exemplaric for the album.
Miss You: the worst Stones song ever. In one word: whiny. In two: bad disco. In more words: hahahahahahaha (repeat) hahahaha oh baby why you wait so long. Need I say more? No!

Btw I don't care about hits, do you? So many hits you don't like. It's a bad criterion, if it is one. After 50 years Banquet, Bleed, Exile and Fingers will still be there, but the Girls have gone then. My prediction. We'll see!

Lyrically it's fine, it's about late 70's New York.... which was coked up and childish. BOB, BTMMR and FAE are far from childish..... FAE is some of the best satire ever. I'm not even a SG lover, but I get it.

Date: June 12, 2013 00:59

Your post is patronizing, kleerie.

My prediction is that YOU will be educated to appreciate the beauty (and depth) of SG with time...

PS: Have you actually listened to the lyrics of Hide Your Love? winking smiley

Miss You is a great song for many fans. Sometimes the greatness is superiour to the genre, simple because the song is good.

Date: June 12, 2013 01:17

Thrylan
Edward Twining
DandelionPowderman

I disagree completely..... an African drummer is just as musical as a Mozart symphony. More instruments does not mean more musical, neither does more complexity...... I would argue the opposite, but I am a Stones fan.

I think melodic would be a better word here than musical. At this level the word "musical" is nothing but subjective.

Because Sugar Blue is probably one of the more "musical" harp players I've ever heard. And he really made his mark on SG.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-12 09:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 12, 2013 03:28

I think we agree...smiling smiley

Sugar Blue....one harp, all keys, a master.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-12 03:32 by Thrylan.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 12, 2013 03:33

DandelionPowderman
Your post is patronizing, kleerie.

My prediction is that YOU will be educated to appreciate the beauty (and depth) of SG with time...

PS: Have you actually listened to the lyrics of Hide Your Love? winking smiley

Miss You is a great song for many fans. Sometimes the greatness is superiour to the genre, simple because the song is good.

Yes kleerie
Judging stones songs by their lyrics is a worthless exercise.
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-12 03:38 by sonomastone.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: June 12, 2013 05:01

Thrylan

One of reasons the record sounds the way it does is a lot of the album and other songs Blue performed on are in the same key. The key of A. I think the whole first side SG is in A. I'll have to re-listen to it. Sugar has indeed mastered the harmonica whichever harp he uses.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 12, 2013 05:41

....we know it ...they know it....Some Girls is the last great piece to the Stones magical run that worked on every level...the Stones to this day continue to use songs from Some Girls the same way they use songs from their heyday.....as good as anything they put out...Miss You is right there in the package of the greatest hits/warhorses as they wind up the shows every night.....and the delux package of extras is magnificent.

Date: June 12, 2013 06:00

three16
Thrylan

One of reasons the record sounds the way it does is a lot of the album and other songs Blue performed on are in the same key. The key of A. I think the whole first side SG is in A. I'll have to re-listen to it. Sugar has indeed mastered the harmonica whichever harp he uses.

Funny, as much as I have overanylized the Stones as a guitarist, you're right....it is all in A, but only Respectable on side two.....I think....

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: June 12, 2013 06:53

Love this album. Listening to Some Girls are Bigger than others as we speak.

Date: June 12, 2013 09:19

three16
Thrylan

He's also fantastic on Down In The Hole, which is in B winking smiley

Date: June 12, 2013 09:23

DandelionPowderman
three16
Thrylan

I have heard Down in a Hole, trashed as a " modern blues" Probably a top 3 track on an album I really dig. ....and he ROCKS! Damn why won't they play that one live??? Ronnie, MT.....let Keith make tasty fills and turn around.....could be a gem!

Date: June 12, 2013 09:51

Thrylan
DandelionPowderman
three16
Thrylan

I have heard Down in a Hole, trashed as a " modern blues" Probably a top 3 track on an album I really dig. ....and he ROCKS! Damn why won't they play that one live??? Ronnie, MT.....let Keith make tasty fills and turn around.....could be a gem!

Some of the finest guitar playing you'll find on a Stones record. Isolated, the guitars may be just good, but together they're unbeatable on this track thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home