Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Some Girls 35th anniversary
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 11, 2013 11:51

By the time I bought SG, punk was dead, disco was dead, I had never heard country music, the RS brand wasn't exactly at its maximum heights of popularity, Duran Duran was the hip band of the day, I was into Prince and Rolled Gold was my personal Rolling Stones totem.

At first listen I liked the songs but I didn't like the sound of Some Girls. It grew, sure it did! Still rate it one of their best.

So what?

As DP noted, if you scratch the surface, there is so much to find. Amazing musicanship. As a band, they were on top form. Great variety of songs. 4 of them are in almost all following greatest hist (MY, Respectable, Shattered, Beast), Keith's best rocker, a killer interpretation of Imagination, Far Away Eyes!!!

The only filler is Lies, and 90% of punk rock band would die to have that song in their catalog.

C

Date: June 11, 2013 11:53

Edward Twining
DandelionPowderman
<because many of the songs appear pretty one dimensional, almost like throwaways.>

One-dimensional is musically a wrong description, Edward, as several of the songs had middle eights and bridges we weren't used to from the Stones.

There are three fast rockers on the album that people think of, when they imo hastily conclude with what you write here.

My experience of this album is that I find new stuff everytime I listen to it, still does. And the versatileness is impressing (all kinds of musical styles).

I really don't know why the "I was walking central park-theme" doesn't move you, or why Beast Of Burden's feel, Keith's "last cry" in BTMMR, Shattered's brilliant description of NYC or the fantastic harp playing on SG. The punch in the rockers (Imagination a throwaway??).

There is so much to be found on this album, not only light-hearted fun and humour - as many people think.

I find SOME GIRLS too lightweight, Dandelion, to put alongside the earlier Stones classics. I say the songs are one dimensional, because they are all so obvious. SOME GIRLS is perhaps the most obvious Stones album of their career, not counting some of their much later albums. 'Miss You' as i have said, i like, and also 'Beast Of Burden'.

You must be thinking in chords, unexpected dynamic turns or some other way - because in my book songs like JJF, SFTD, HTW, Dancing With Mr. D, Rocks Off, Rip This Joint and many classic Stones tracks are VERY obvious.

It's how they are performed that matters, Edward. Or else, we wouldn't enjoy the blues, soul, country or boogie-songs. Most of the songs in that category only have 3 or 4 chords anyway.

Shattered and Before They Make Me Run both introduce (albeit pretty similar) the musical bridge in guitar solos on Stones rock songs - that means a new theme going on for some time, with different chords and harmonies. There is one in the I Got The Blues hammond solo as well - hence my surprise by your one-dimensional statement.

But I guess you saw those bridges coming...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-11 11:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 11, 2013 11:56

DandelionPowderman

Shattered and Before They Make Me Run both introduce (albeit pretty similar) the musical bridge in Stones rock songs - that means a new theme going on for some time, with different chords and harmonies. There is one in the I Got The Blues hammond solo as well - hence my surprise by your one-dimensional statement.

But I guess you saw that bridges coming...

There are quite a few great bridges in Black and Blue too!

C

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 11, 2013 11:56

DandelionPowderman is passionate about some girls.

Date: June 11, 2013 11:57

liddas
DandelionPowderman

Shattered and Before They Make Me Run both introduce (albeit pretty similar) the musical bridge in Stones rock songs - that means a new theme going on for some time, with different chords and harmonies. There is one in the I Got The Blues hammond solo as well - hence my surprise by your one-dimensional statement.

But I guess you saw that bridges coming...

There are quite a few great bridges in Black and Blue too!

C

True, I forgot about them - although those songs are more funky. I was thinking more of 3 chord rock songs that suddenly expanded into a new musical landscape smiling smiley The Woody-bridge on Hey Negrita is indeed stellar thumbs up

The funny thing about those bridges on SG, is that they are more or less similar (Shattered and BTMMR)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-11 11:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 11, 2013 12:00

His Majesty

grinning smiley Just like you are on Buttons, Satanic and Beggars.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 11, 2013 12:02

DandelionPowderman
Edward Twining
DandelionPowderman
<because many of the songs appear pretty one dimensional, almost like throwaways.>

One-dimensional is musically a wrong description, Edward, as several of the songs had middle eights and bridges we weren't used to from the Stones.

There are three fast rockers on the album that people think of, when they imo hastily conclude with what you write here.

My experience of this album is that I find new stuff everytime I listen to it, still does. And the versatileness is impressing (all kinds of musical styles).

I really don't know why the "I was walking central park-theme" doesn't move you, or why Beast Of Burden's feel, Keith's "last cry" in BTMMR, Shattered's brilliant description of NYC or the fantastic harp playing on SG. The punch in the rockers (Imagination a throwaway??).

There is so much to be found on this album, not only light-hearted fun and humour - as many people think.

I find SOME GIRLS too lightweight, Dandelion, to put alongside the earlier Stones classics. I say the songs are one dimensional, because they are all so obvious. SOME GIRLS is perhaps the most obvious Stones album of their career, not counting some of their much later albums. 'Miss You' as i have said, i like, and also 'Beast Of Burden'.

You must be thinking in chords, unexpected dynamic turns or some other way - because in my book songs like JJF, SFTD, HTW, Dancing With Mr. D, Rocks Off, Rip This Joint and many classic Stones tracks are VERY obvious.

It's how they are performed that matters, Edward. Or else, we wouldn't enjoy the blues, soul, country or boogie-songs. Most of the songs in that category only have 3 or 4 chords anyway.

Shattered and Before They Make Me Run both introduce (albeit pretty similar) the musical bridge in guitar solos on Stones rock songs - that means a new theme going on for some time, with different chords and harmonies. There is one in the I Got The Blues hammond solo as well - hence my surprise by your one-dimensional statement.

But I guess you saw those bridges coming...

It's obvious in the way the songs are musically arranged, Dandelion, not in terms of the individual chords -but the layering of instruments etc. The production perhaps, too.

Date: June 11, 2013 12:08

You think so, I think otherwise smiling smiley

For me, they're "obvious" in exactly the same way songs like Bitch, Rip This Joint and Star Star are...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-11 12:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: June 11, 2013 12:31

Doxa
Even though SOME GIRLS is an awesome album, and one the very best they ever have done, I think it hasn't aged so well as their classic 'big four' albums. That's an observation I made when the deluxe version was released, and it seemingly didn't as much interest and general appeal than EXILE did (the same with TEXAS LIVE in compared to LADIES AND GENTS). For me that was a surprise (and a disappointment).

It surely is their most important item they probably released since BEGGARS BANQUET but I think it has or had a certain function in their career - for them it was necessary to have a big album like that at the time - and I think it has an important status within the fardcore fans as an important part of the story, but it doesn't have any longer that kind of zeitgeist magic around it, like the big four. In 1978 The Stones really weren't so relevant any longer, but more like trying to cope with the times. In hindsight that is not any longer so exciting, and you can hear that in music. I am afraid the future history writing, as a general interest, will be rather cruel for it.

- Doxa

Your observation might be right, Doxa. But never the less I don'tthink that a sociological perspective is that relevant, when it comes to artistical qualities.
Exile might be an exception because the mythology and storytelling surrounding the album is so strong, but I don't the main audience care much for the big four either, what they care for are the compilations.
Miss You equals (and might even in some respects surpass) the best disco-tracks. Respectable almost equals the best punk-tracks (Lies makes an effort but looses), Shattered equals (and imo surpasses the upcoming hip-hop-scene at that time) but the rest of the tracks do not relate much to the zeitgeist of that time. The marvelous titeltrack is an obvious example, and Beast of Burden and Before they make me run.

Date: June 11, 2013 12:40

Most non-Stones fans describe the Stones as "a traditional, standard and too obvious-sounding rock band. And that includes the 1968-1972 era, which is regarded so highly among the fans.

The period where the band was experimenting, and went "outside the box" was indeed in 1966-1968.

My point is, a "sociological analysis" of the Stones would have to conclude with that - hence it's not necessarily correct describing SG as obvious or a light-hearted musical joke - like other posters are doing here.

There are no jokes in Keith's lyrics on Before They Make Me Run...

Date: June 11, 2013 12:54

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

That was my not very good attempt at a funny. grinning smiley

Date: June 11, 2013 13:03

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

I looked past that option, of you being that cheap winking smiley

Date: June 11, 2013 13:12

DandelionPowderman

For me, they're "obvious" in exactly the same way songs like Bitch, Rip This Joint and Star Star are...

Those earlier albums, Dandelion, and especially the big 4 are just more musical, not just in a more elaborate sense, as in being more complex, but in all the components possessing more musical richness and occasional sophistication. Just listen to the slide guitar on 'No Expectations', or the changes in tempo on 'Midnight Rambler', or the choir on 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' or the brass on 'Bitch'. Not to mention those earlier songs like 'Paint It Black' with the sitar, and even right back to Brian's tasty slide playing on 'Little Red Rooster'.

SOME GIRLS, while still possessing many of the Stones longstanding stylistic attributes eg the Chuck Berry, blues and rock 'n' roll influences, also tends to simplify everything down to basics. Not that that's bad necessarily because the Stones were pretty much a basic set up in the beginning. However, i loved the early Stones, in a way because of their naivety, in an era which was also still pretty naive generally.

Date: June 11, 2013 13:34

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

grinning smiley

Date: June 11, 2013 13:35

Edward Twining
DandelionPowderman

Those earlier albums, Dandelion, and especially the big 4 are just more musical, not just in a more elaborate sense, as in being more complex, but in all the components possessing more musical richness and occasional sophistication. Just listen to the slide guitar on 'No Expectations', or the changes in tempo on 'Midnight Rambler', or the choir on 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' or the brass on 'Bitch'. Not to mention those earlier songs like 'Paint It Black' with the sitar, and even right back to Brian's tasty slide playing on 'Little Red Rooster'.

SOME GIRLS, while still possessing many of the Stones longstanding stylistic attributes eg the Chuck Berry, blues and rock 'n' roll influences, also tends to simplify everything down to basics. Not that that's bad necessarily because the Stones were pretty much a basic set up in the beginning. However, i loved the early Stones, in a way because of their naivety, in an era which was also still pretty naive generally.

I agree with most of the things you're pointing out - only that can be said about lots of stuff on Some Girls as well.

- The harp and sax on Miss You, as well as the "I was walking Central Park-theme".
- The steel guitar on Far Away Eyes - Sheer beauty!
- The fantastic guitars on Lies
- The sore and fragile guitar interplay on Beast Of Burden
- The guitar solos and harp on the title track
- Mick going berzerk on When The Whip Comes Down
- The transformation from a ballad-like soul number, to change of pace and hard rock on Imagination
- The backdrop on Keith's lyrics on Before They Make Me Run, and the wonderful pedal steel guitar in the solo bridge - as well as Keith's performance
- The (at the time) very innovative Shattered, and it's brilliant skewed-look at NYC

I could talk all night about this album smiling smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 11, 2013 14:02

Some Girls was the push over the cliff for me with the Stones. I liked them before but this started the lifelong obsession. First time live was in Boulder, CO that tour (2 days before the dvd was filmed in Texas). They were stunning. That show is still one of the top shows I've seen all time. The record has held up well over time & the outtakes disc is excellent too. Tattoo You was a good record too but it didn't quite reach the peak of Some Girls. Anything since then has had some good songs but overall cds haven't come close. Just my opinion. Live, I've seen some shows since then that were as good (Tacoma - 40 Licks, LV - 40 Licks, Portland - Bridges to Babylon). Hope this tour isn't the swan song.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 11, 2013 14:09

GetYerAngie
Doxa
Even though SOME GIRLS is an awesome album, and one the very best they ever have done, I think it hasn't aged so well as their classic 'big four' albums. That's an observation I made when the deluxe version was released, and it seemingly didn't as much interest and general appeal than EXILE did (the same with TEXAS LIVE in compared to LADIES AND GENTS). For me that was a surprise (and a disappointment).

It surely is their most important item they probably released since BEGGARS BANQUET but I think it has or had a certain function in their career - for them it was necessary to have a big album like that at the time - and I think it has an important status within the fardcore fans as an important part of the story, but it doesn't have any longer that kind of zeitgeist magic around it, like the big four. In 1978 The Stones really weren't so relevant any longer, but more like trying to cope with the times. In hindsight that is not any longer so exciting, and you can hear that in music. I am afraid the future history writing, as a general interest, will be rather cruel for it.

- Doxa

Your observation might be right, Doxa. But never the less I don'tthink that a sociological perspective is that relevant, when it comes to artistical qualities.
Exile might be an exception because the mythology and storytelling surrounding the album is so strong, but I don't the main audience care much for the big four either, what they care for are the compilations.
Miss You equals (and might even in some respects surpass) the best disco-tracks. Respectable almost equals the best punk-tracks (Lies makes an effort but looses), Shattered equals (and imo surpasses the upcoming hip-hop-scene at that time) but the rest of the tracks do not relate much to the zeitgeist of that time. The marvelous titeltrack is an obvious example, and Beast of Burden and Before they make me run.

I agree that "sosiological perspective" is not that relevant when we are talking about "artistic qualities". Just for a chance I took another kind of perspective, and made a few observations based on that. There are so many ways to see the band, its music and its legacy.

The way I rather talk about the band - as I usually do - is seeing their whole career as a sort of art piece of its own. Call this "Stoneslogy" viewgrinning smiley. That is to say we try to locate, for example, SOME GIRLS as an integral part of their story, and of their own artistic development. Forget the zeitgeist and all that, the band is unique by its own terms!

But let's say that I have talked som much about the artistic merits of SOME GIRLS during the years here that there is not much to add...

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 11, 2013 15:02

Doxa

But let's say that I have talked som much about the artistic merits of SOME GIRLS during the years here that there is not much to add...

- Doxa

But I enjoy reading your discussion here, so don't stop!winking smiley

- Doxa

Date: June 11, 2013 15:07

DandelionPowderman
Edward Twining
DandelionPowderman

I agree with most of the things you're pointing out - only that can be said about lots of stuff on Some Girls as well.

- The harp and sax on Miss You, as well as the "I was walking Central Park-theme".
- The transformation from a ballad-like soul number, to change of pace and hard rock on Imagination
- The backdrop on Keith's lyrics on Before They Make Me Run, and the wonderful pedal steel guitar in the solo bridge - as well as Keith's performance
- The (at the time) very innovative Shattered, and it's brilliant skewed-look at NYC

Well Dandelion, you have motivated me to dig out the album and to give it another listen!!

The thing i do feel strongly about SOME GIRLS, irrespective of personal preferences is that the album has the potential to work well within a live setting, because it is a little less elaborate, and all the songs are pretty direct and to the point. I have a very soft spot for the LIVE IN TEXAS 78 dvd, and think those SOME GIRLS songs performed in that live show are pretty definitive. I believe the production on the SOME GIRLS album to be a little brittle and thin, but live, those songs come to life ever more greatly. LIVE IN TEXAS 78 is the only official live Stones DVD release which i haven't had significant reservations about - the band is literally on fire and the visual filmic quality is truly excellent - you actually feel you are up on stage with the boys, you are that close - unlike the slightly grainly and distant LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. One can argue about the lack of presence of say, Mick Taylor, on a few of the songs, where his melodic guitar may have enriched things somewhat, but to my ears that argument is largely redundant, based on the fact that the Stones interpretation had also changed and the emphasis had shifted to a more basic rock 'n' roll energy. Ronnie had suddenly found his niche. 'Beast Of Burden' is perhaps one of my favourites. Sometimes Jagger's adaptation of the punk posturing can seem a little insincere, at times, maybe - 'When The Whip Comes Down' and 'Shattered' being examples, but perhaps i am also being a little too picky.

Date: June 11, 2013 15:14

Edward Twining
DandelionPowderman
Edward Twining
DandelionPowderman

Well Dandelion, you have motivated me to dig out the album and to give it another listen!!

The thing i do feel strongly about SOME GIRLS, irrespective of personal preferences is that the album has the potential to work well within a live setting, because it is a little less elaborate, and all the songs are pretty direct and to the point. I have a very soft spot for the LIVE IN TEXAS 78 dvd, and think those SOME GIRLS songs performed in that live show are pretty definitive. I believe the production on the SOME GIRLS album to be a little brittle and thin, but live, those songs come to life ever more greatly. LIVE IN TEXAS 78 is the only official live Stones DVD release which i haven't had significant reservations about - the band is literally on fire and the visual filmic quality is truly excellent - you actually feel you are up on stage with the boys, you are that close - unlike the slightly grainly and distant LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. One can argue about the lack of presence of say, Mick Taylor, on a few of the songs, where his melodic guitar may have enriched things somewhat, but to my ears that argument is largely redundant, based on the fact that the Stones interpretation had also changed and the emphasis had shifted to a more basic rock 'n' roll energy. Ronnie had suddenly found his niche. 'Beast Of Burden' is perhaps one of my favourites. Sometimes Jagger's adaptation of the punk posturing can seem a little insincere, at times, maybe - 'When The Whip Comes Down' and 'Shattered' being examples, but perhaps i am also being a little too picky.

thumbs up You should be writing about music for a living, Edward!

The songs worked very well live indeed!

Date: June 11, 2013 15:31

DandelionPowderman

thumbs up You should be writing about music for a living, Edward!

Indeed!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 11, 2013 15:33

Big Al
treaclefingers

I think he might mean Rolling Stones albums, but of course that's also wrong as we all know that is Hot Rocks at 12 million units.

Hot Rocks is their biggest selling compilation - and biggest-selling release, overall - but Some Girls is their biggest-selling studio album.

Those sales are mainly based when a double album counted as 2 units sold. The amount of people that bought it is half.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 11, 2013 15:34

Sonically it's still a bit flat.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 11, 2013 15:45

GasLightStreet
Big Al
treaclefingers

I think he might mean Rolling Stones albums, but of course that's also wrong as we all know that is Hot Rocks at 12 million units.

Hot Rocks is their biggest selling compilation - and biggest-selling release, overall - but Some Girls is their biggest-selling studio album.

Those sales are mainly based when a double album counted as 2 units sold. The amount of people that bought it is half.

what if two people bought a single copy? how does that factor into these calculations?

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 11, 2013 16:59

StonesTod
GasLightStreet
Big Al
treaclefingers

what if two people bought a single copy? how does that factor into these calculations?

It's cancelled out when one person buys two copies... Tequila spilled on the cd and the like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-11 17:03 by sonomastone.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: June 11, 2013 20:13

So many great memories of Some Girls. Circa 1986- laying on the beach on the Jersey Shore getting a suntan and listening to it for hours on cassette. The album had already been out for eight years but it was in the eightees that I was a teenager and discovered The Stones. The smell of the ocean, the smell of hot Italian sausage and pizza coming from the Boardwalk and the sound of Some Girls coming through my boombox. What memories.

Rock bands don't make albums like that anymore- well maybe once in a blue moon.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 11, 2013 20:40

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

grinning smiley

I have been VERY passionate about some girls.....in 20-30 minute bursts....

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 11, 2013 21:13

Great record, even though I prefer all the outtakes. But this album put the Stones back in the lead spot of GRRBITW, and provided material for two great tours.

Mathijs

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 11, 2013 22:17

Edward Twining
DandelionPowderman

Spot on...the mid 60s to mid 70s stuff is much more musical. Even Black and Blue.

I guess that's what they were going for and it's great, but I prefer the more musical stuff.

Date: June 11, 2013 22:25

What is "more musical" anyway? To me, Far Away Eyes is just as "musical" as Dead Flowers. That goes for the steel guitar solo vs Taylor's DF-solo as well.

I can see the difference between Moonlight Mile and a more groove-based Beast Of Burden, though smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home