Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Charlie Watts underrated?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 9, 2013 16:55

Was listening to the Stones while in the car with my friends, and one of them who's a drummer asked me to turn it up so he could listen to the drumming. Few seconds later he commented "yeah, he sounds self taught." I said "interesting. I have no idea, but whatever the case is he's highly underrated." Both friends I was with, music guys, immediately disagreed with me. They both knew who Charlie Watts is and they were trying to explain to me he's from a different generation where he's fairly ordinary. They thought he was perfectly rated.

I obviously shot back saying he's the engine of the Stones that people often forget about and the fact that he isn't fancy is what makes him so great. Most of this comes from having a father who loves the Stones but loves and has always praised Charlie Watts in particular. We've always said he was underrated in my family and I do tend to agree. Never thought of him as "ordinary", but I can see the argument my friends have towards it. I guess when they think of great drummers they think Keith Moon and John Bonham.

What are people's thoughts here? Is Charlie underrated or do you think he just fits the Stones and in the world of drummers he is perfectly rated at "nothing special"?

Re: Charlie Watts underrated?
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 9, 2013 17:01

It's may sound paradoxal, but he's so apt for the Stones also because of the fact that he's 'ordinary'. But I don't underrate his musical insight at all.
Besides he's just a great and nice guy, which is also important. He has a perfect Stones image though. Love to seeing him play on Knocking these days.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 9, 2013 17:03

he's rated perfectly by the world fife and drum association (WFDA). we're in no position to argue with their esteemed judgment.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 9, 2013 17:08

Fact......He blow a mean fife.....some would say, "legendary."

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 9, 2013 17:09

Some people think Charlie is average and Ringo is great. I could never understand that. Any other drummer with The Stones and we wouldn't have that Stones sound.

Date: June 9, 2013 17:11

More Hot Rocks
Some people think Charlie is average and Ringo is great. I could never understand that. Any other drummer with The Stones and we wouldn't have that Stones sound.

oh, yeah? what about ringo and the beatles sound, huh? did you ever think about that???

...didn't think so...

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 9, 2013 17:27

Each Stone is underrated at their own instrument. At the same time, they are overrated too.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: June 9, 2013 17:29

MingSubu
Each Stone is underrated at their own instrument. At the same time, they are overrated too.

Very true, sums it all up very nicely.

Date: June 9, 2013 17:32

MingSubu

the exact same time? wow. helluva band.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 9, 2013 17:45

Charlie is sort of medium-rated, imo..

Date: June 9, 2013 17:54

duke richardson

he was just medium-rated as an actor until he died, too...

[www.imdb.com]

Date: June 9, 2013 18:00

StonesTod
duke richardson

[www.imdb.com]

a Charlie by another name...

hey StonesTod, I've been reading Art Pepper's memoir...tough read..have you read it?

Date: June 9, 2013 18:02

duke richardson
StonesTod
duke richardson

[www.imdb.com]

hey StonesTod, I've been reading Art Pepper's memoir...tough read..have you read it?

no. tough but good? he definitely had the classic "jazzman's life."

Date: June 9, 2013 18:11

StonesTod
duke richardson
StonesTod
duke richardson

[www.imdb.com]

yes tough but good..real and honest about addiction..hard to read. it's called Straight Life..after his song of the same name.

after reading another memoir by a certain addicted musician, Pepper's book is much darker..

actually hard to get through both of them..

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 9, 2013 18:21

More Hot Rocks
Ringo is the greatest drummer of all the times and in the whole Universe. Period winking smiley

Just go to any Beatles forum and try to object this statement winking smiley

Date: June 9, 2013 18:22

duke richardson
StonesTod
duke richardson
StonesTod
duke richardson

[www.imdb.com]

yes tough but good..real and honest about addiction..hard to read. it's called Straight Life..after his song of the same name.

after reading another memoir by a certain addicted musician, Pepper's book is much darker..

actually hard to get through both of them..

i'm addicted to jazz...you've got me listening to art's The Trip now...thanks alot...

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 9, 2013 19:15

I'll say it....Hell yes he's underrated! The drummer following the guitar player?? Little flourishes on the turnarounds....check out Little Baby on Stripped....genius, and he has restraint.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: June 9, 2013 22:36

Yes. He doesn't bang the drums like a maniac but he is one fine drummer.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-09 22:36 by FrankM.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 9, 2013 22:57

It's very common among young musicians to belittle the Stones (wheras is very fashionable among them to worship Led Zeppelin, no matter what). I also deal a lot with musicians, and when speaking about the Stones most of them say that none of them is any good (part from Jagger's showmanship).

By the way, these kind of statements are proven wrong by the mere fact that the Stones are still rolling on, they have probably the best catalogue (comparable only to McCartney's one), and their groove, even if is the most imitated one, is still unmatched by anyone! I mean, How could you stay on top for fifty years if you don't play good music???

No need to say, Charlie's #1 in my book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-09 22:58 by Wild Slivovitz.

Date: June 9, 2013 23:06

a good buddy, a younger guy, a hockey mate, of mine is a drummer, a good one, but more into the heavier stuff.. and the stones you know are off his radar kind of thing..

so he'd never listened to charlie, really

so i made him listen to some live stones stuff, 72 stuff and whatnot, and he came back with not only 'jesus the stones were great then' and 'not what i expected to hear at all' etc but with 'goddammit that drummer is REALLY good.' 'that guy is laying off the beat blah blah (technical drummer time-keeping talk that i dont understand) ...'who is it? the way he plays is like nothing i've heard in rock before'

haha i hadda laugh

its charlie, man, i said.

Date: June 9, 2013 23:11

a good buddy, a younger guy, a hockey mate, of mine is a drummer, a good one, but more into the heavier stuff.. and the stones you know are off his radar kind of thing..

so he'd never listened to charlie, really

so i made him listen to some live stones stuff, 72 stuff and whatnot, and he came back with not only 'jesus the stones were great then' and 'not what i expected to hear at all' etc but with 'goddammit that drummer is REALLY good.' 'that guy is laying off the beat blah blah (and a bunch of technical drummer time-keeping talk that i dont understand) ...'who is it? the way he plays is like nothing i've heard in rock before'

haha i hadda laugh

its charlie, man, i said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-09 23:12 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 9, 2013 23:49

So under rated imho

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 10, 2013 00:17

Underrated? Perhaps by those who worship at the altar of John Bonham and/or Keith Moon, fans who prefer circus-like showmanship and/or very busy, twin bass drum playing.

But in reality, most rock bands do not--and cannot--play like Led Zeppelin or The Who. Most bands follow a very simple, basic structure. And for the basics, Charlie defines the proper method of holding it together and providing movement for a song. Ringo, as well. Listen to the popular music of the mid- to late 60s--there's a lot of Ringo-type drumming going on there. Listen to the popular music from 1970 to 1975, and it will surprise you how often Ringo's White album and Abbey Road drum sound and style was imitated.

In this interview clip of Mick Jagger with Jools Holland from 1983 (for England's Channel 4 music program The Tube [1982-1987]), when discussing individual Stones members and when Charlie comes up, Holland (at 8:23) sums Charlie's technique eloquently enough : "consistent--that is rhythm for you", with Mick adding that "lots of drummers like him"....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 10, 2013 00:44

Charlie's the best rock drummer because he's not a rock drummer. This is the great paradox of the Rolling Stones. Charlie (and Bill) didn't play "rock". Thank God.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: June 10, 2013 00:50

71Tele
Charlie's the best rock drummer because he's not a rock drummer. This is the great paradox of the Rolling Stones. Charlie (and Bill) didn't play "rock". Thank God.
Hi Tele! We didn't have our beer today! Weather sucks, though... When are you travelling south?

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: June 10, 2013 01:03

Charlie may call it jazz, but he's a blues drummer. He plays deep in the pocket.

He's got a great swing and his meter is fantastic. He is underrated in the sense that a lot of younger less seasoned tub bangers should often be directed towards his beats for examples of deep pocket finesse, swinging swagger on the downbeat of 1.

As a guitarist, these are some of my thoughts on Charlie. He's not ever been overrated as far as I know. So, yeah, if anything... underrated.

Date: June 10, 2013 01:36

three16
As a guitarist, these are some of my thoughts on Charlie. He's not ever been overrated as far as I know. So, yeah, if anything... underrated.

you are over-looking the absolute plausibility that he's rated perfectly. sigh. why must there always be something wrong?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 10, 2013 02:17

All music fans I know think Charlie is a great drummer, even if their own preference is for Bonham, Grohl, or whoever. Plus I've never read anything bad about him. So he can't be underrated if everyone seems to rate him.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: June 10, 2013 02:22

StonesTod
More Hot Rocks

oh, yeah? what about ringo and the beatles sound, huh? did you ever think about that???

...didn't think so...[/quot

George Martin was the sound of the Beatles. Not Ringo. Ringo's drums always sounded like coffee cans to me. In fact in lot of the early recordings you can't even hear them.

Eight days a Week.. Sounds like hand claps and garbage can lids for cymbals.

Besides Paul was a better drummer. Even Lennon has said so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 02:25 by RockinJive.

Date: June 10, 2013 02:23

Aquamarine
All music fans I know think Charlie is a great drummer, even if their own preference is for Bonham, Grohl, or whoever. Plus I've never read anything bad about him. So he can't be underrated if everyone seems to rate him.

precisely. there are excellent reasons for these official ratings. not sure why so many dispute them.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1628
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home