Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Why doesn't another performer just DO the lotus stage?
Date: June 8, 2013 21:55

I have an original (very used by me!) original copy of the '75 T.O.T.A' book pub'd by 'Dragon's Dream' in '78. Looking through it yet once again yester's, and thought why doesn't another band just copy more or less the stage concept? After 38(!) years, I don't think anyone would criticize them for being unoriginal, it would really be an 'homage' or whatever you wanna call it. I mean, being too young to have seen it myself, the 'big' version w/the petals that opened and closed looks like it was f'ing incredible! I'm thinking I might see anyone this side of Justin Bieber just to see some form of that stage in action...

LotusStage75

Re: Why doesn't another performer just DO the lotus stage?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 8, 2013 22:20

> Why doesn't another performer just DO the lotus stage? <

Because it would be the same, when the Stones would do the U2-360°-Stage winking smiley

Seriously: just after the end of the ABB-Tour in 2007 I asked myself how the next stage for the Stones could look like - the same idea with the 360° stage came into my mind (maybe inspired from the Superbowl tongue stage). The Stones should have not to wait so long with the next Tour .....

BTW: Have a look at Mark Fishers website if you are interested in stage design.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 22:50 by Irix.

Date: June 8, 2013 22:38

Well, Bono has actually given credit to the lotus stage as inspiration for U2's stage designs...

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 8, 2013 23:44

If you see video clips of the tour, you'll notice that while it looks cool, they didn't really use the petal space, so it's lost ticket revenue!

Date: June 9, 2013 00:34

No lost revenue at all! They sold tix 360* around it, in fact it originally was meant to be 'in the round' center arena floor, but I've read sound quality issues they couldn't fix w/that time's tech equipment quashed the idea.
From some of the pix I've come across, it's actually a stage set up I would happy to sit behind. There is a rumor that Keith & Ronnie set up a little 'tent' behind Charlie to consume their vitamins...

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 9, 2013 01:07

The Stones own the design rights to the stage. For the right
Price you can lease it.. $$$...very cool design. I had front row for both Philly shows
back then.

Only problem if you had seats behind the stage is all the amps, etc blocked
A lot of your views.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: September 29, 2013 23:56

Did they ever use the Lotus stage during the 76 European tour? All the videos I have seen from that tour I cannot find one with the Lotus stage.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 30, 2013 00:53

Why doesn't another performer just DO the lotus stage?

Cos it cost them an arm and a leg? As did the bridge from the BTB tour.
They're not that greedy... grinning smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 30, 2013 02:04

I believe Keith Moon had the original stage in his backyard for awhile.

Date: September 30, 2013 02:04

virgil
Did they ever use the Lotus stage during the 76 European tour? All the videos I have seen from that tour I cannot find one with the Lotus stage.
)

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 30, 2013 02:31

Maybe because when Billy Preston was walking on the angled stage in his high heels he fell into the audience. smiling smiley (I just heard Mick relate this in an interview at Wolfgang's Vault.)

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 30, 2013 16:48

The Beatles step into octagon shaped lotus arena for the first time in 1966.

Date: September 30, 2013 17:34

virgil
virgil
))

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: October 7, 2013 01:43

We must have got ripped off for the 75 Milwalkie show. We had neither hydrolics or neon and the stage never moved throughout the entire performance. Don't remember no inflatable penis either although I do recall Jagger tossing water on a few people close enough to the stage. Lot's of hype for these and most other Stones live shows and unfortunately sometimes the myth outdoes the truth.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 7, 2013 02:05

That INT Peyton through was HUGE. He couldn't do that the way his D is playing. They just had to keep scoring, because Dallas is going to keep scoring. That hurt them bad.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 7, 2013 05:56

rob51
We must have got ripped off for the 75 Milwalkie show. We had neither hydrolics or neon and the stage never moved throughout the entire performance. Don't remember no inflatable penis either although I do recall Jagger tossing water on a few people close enough to the stage. Lot's of hype for these and most other Stones live shows and unfortunately sometimes the myth outdoes the truth.

There were 2 stages. The folding one was used in LA, NY and I don't know where else. I saw the stage in the Buffalo Aud. june 15th 1975. I wasn't a folding one. You can see a lot about the stage in the book "The Rolling Stones On Tour" A great visual book on the 1975 tour. On page 142 it has one pick of the stage from each city. On page 37 there is a pick of The stones at a Milwaukee hotel. I take it your not from Milwaukee since you butchered the spelling.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 13, 2013 02:39

More Hot Rocks
I believe Keith Moon had the original stage in his backyard for awhile.

According to Ron Wood: "....The lotus stage that Keith Moon bought for his back garden..... I think he died during the process of buying it...."

The subject comes up at 5:45 in this clip (from a 2012 interview):

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: December 13, 2013 07:05

I saw them at the LA Forum, July 10. To this day, that lotus stage is the coolest damn thing in the history of the world. You really had to see it to believe it. I'm talking about the one that raised and lowered. Too bad every city couldn't get that one.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 13, 2013 09:59

More Hot Rocks
rob51

There were 2 stages. The folding one was used in LA, NY and I don't know where else. I saw the stage in the Buffalo Aud. june 15th 1975. I wasn't a folding one. You can see a lot about the stage in the book "The Rolling Stones On Tour" A great visual book on the 1975 tour. On page 142 it has one pick of the stage from each city. On page 37 there is a pick of The stones at a Milwaukee hotel. I take it your not from Milwaukee since you butchered the spelling.

THREE stages - the big lotus that opened/closed (ny, chi, la) the simpler lotus and the outdoor tent

Posted by: Dean ()
Date: December 13, 2013 13:54

virgil

Definetly at Earls Court at least

Date: December 13, 2013 14:52

Earl's Court 1976

From Nobby Clark's book '@#$%&: The Rolling Stones Live In London '76
Read more at [www.nme.com]

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 13, 2013 16:57

The Lotus Stage was great in its day, but at this point, it's a little quaint. In Japan, where pop stars need to play to stadiums full of 50,000 fans, the stages are designed to reach every audience member, and they are insane. Ramps all over the floor, stages that rotate, mini-stages that rise so high the artist can look in the eyes of the fans in the balcony, little stages and run on rails around the arena, screens everywhere, lasers, fireworks. It's crazy. And frankly, if you've ever been stuck standing at the back end of a football field, trying to see the screens, you would appreciate the rising center stage used by the girl group Perfume. Maybe the Stones could use one of these.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-13 16:58 by drbryant.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 13, 2013 17:43

def leppard used a similar rounded idea on the '87 hysteria tour
[www.defleppard.com]

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: December 13, 2013 19:02

virgil

Saw them using the stage in Paris in 76, set opened with Honkey Tonk Women and the petals opened with Mick hanking from the top of one of the petals, really cool

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1204
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home