Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
John Fogerty
Posted by: Nils ()
Date: March 16, 2005 18:49

Just saw John Fogerty and band in Copenhagen last night. What a tight rock and roll show he runs, no frills and no bullshit, but a great catalog of hits.
And with a line-up of three guitars bass and drums. No keyboards. Just imagine to see the Stones that way too! Without the band og sidemen that keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Re: John Fogerty
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: March 16, 2005 18:55

I love Fogerty. One of the great musicians and writers of rock and roll. You gotta respect the guy. All the same, I'd rather the Stones have a keyboard player. While not necessarily essential, the instrument is integral to so many of their songs.

I just wish it was somebody besides Chuck. winking smiley

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 16, 2005 19:04

Lets have a rally they can see, w/ big signs, "Bring Back Mac!"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 16, 2005 20:13

I saw the great JCF last fall in Atlanta. It was one of the best musical experiences of my life. Everything Nils says is exactly right.

Posted by: mark ()
Date: March 16, 2005 20:23

Always said CCR was the best R&R band next to the Stones. Realy have to see John live to appreciate the rock. Has to be the worst 'performer' I have ever seen though, very little personality and stage presence.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 16, 2005 21:43

Saw him last December in SF - hot, hot show. Fogerty is as good or better than ever. That's amazing. See him if you get the chance - you will not be disappointed.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 16, 2005 23:15

Great... I'm going to his concert tomorrow.

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: March 16, 2005 23:57

Yeah Fogerty was really hot last night ! He`s such a unique talented performer/songwriter and still full of energy and enthusiasm on stage !Lucky you down there in Belgium tommorrw night !

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: March 17, 2005 01:32

I'm going next Friday, really looking forward

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 17, 2005 02:08

CCR was Brian's favorite band at the time he left the Stones and from what I've read, that's the type of sound he wanted from his new band.

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: March 17, 2005 02:52

CCR was, I think, the greatest American rock band ever.

Posted by: ripthisjoint ()
Date: March 17, 2005 08:13

I was able to catch John at Hard Rock last November ,oustanding show,

the opening act shelly fairchild is also very good .

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: March 17, 2005 11:22

A good show in Oslo last week as well.
Per-Arne

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: March 17, 2005 12:03

CCR tops every other American rock band. No contest

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: March 17, 2005 13:31

great musician and musical vision....ethically a complete moron...the crap he pulled on his former bandmates and his own brother at the r&r hof induction ceremony has to rank as one of the crassest and mean spirited things i have ever heard of....

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 17, 2005 16:38

Yeah, it was unspeakable when Fogerty refused to play on stage at the Hall of Fame with his late brother and the rhythm section that testified against him in the self-plagiarism lawsuit. Just why the guy that wrote, produced, sang, and played lead guitar, saxophone, and organ on all of CCR's hits and 99.5% of their recorded output feels he has some kind of proprietarial claim to the band is beyond me.

Date: March 17, 2005 17:44

I'm with you, Rocky. Although I would have loved to see a reconciliation at some point with Doug and Stu - John has every right to his so-called "mean spiritedness."

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 17, 2005 18:39

Agree that Clifford and Cook were then and remain today a great rhythm section. They're my second favorite after Wyman and Watts. Sure, Fogerty could have taken the high road and played with them at the Hall of Fame, but a CCR reunion is meaningless. Would Fogerty's post-CCR recordings and shows have sounded better with those two guys as the bottom? You bet, but there's no incentive for him to reform (or rejoin, as the case may be) CCR since the real CCR was mega-talent John Fogerty with a great rhythm section. John's kept making music at his own pace. It's not like he's missing the spark of a collaborator like solo Glimmer Twins or ex-Beatles. I understand why he didn't want to play songs that mean so much to him that night with two guys who played on them originally just for old times' sake, not after they sided with Zaentz and decided he had no right to sound like himself for another label and went so far as to testify against him. Fogerty would be an awfully big man to let that go and doubt many of us could ignore such a betrayal.

Date: March 17, 2005 19:29

I'm just glad he's back on the road and playing the CCR songs. Doug and Stu were great but his band now is too. Couldn't be a CCR revival without Tom Fogerty anyway.

Date: March 17, 2005 19:33

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
Couldn't be a CCR revival without
> Tom Fogerty anyway.

that's debateable - Tom left the band in the final year or so anyway, and they did just fine without him.

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: March 17, 2005 23:44

If you haven't heard it, you should get ahold of the Vietnam Veterans benefit where Fogerty played the old Creedence songs for the first time in years. He makes a comment or two that allude to the emotional toll that the lawsuit, etc. took on him. In that context, maybe not so meanspirited or crass.

Date: March 18, 2005 00:11

It something that Dylan told John that got him to reconsider playing the CCR songs again...something like "if you don't people will think Ike & Tina wrote Proud Mary."

Date: March 18, 2005 01:37

Sorry Elmo but I must side with T&A. I saw CCR as a trio and was surprized how there was little missing. Again in the solo Premonition you see how much of it is just John. Also if you ever saw the band you got the feeling it was a one man show anyway (check out the Blue Ridge Rangers CD, he plays it all), which may account for some of the other comments regarding his demenor on other issues.

Date: March 18, 2005 02:34

Fogerty also plays it all on the Centerfield album.

Posted by: marston ()
Date: March 18, 2005 06:03

Cook and Clifford now tour as CCR Revisited. They come around about once a year. To me, just another cover band without John. I'd rather stay home and watch a DVD of the "REAL" band.

Date: March 21, 2005 22:26

Thank, Mark, for enlightening me on the great JCF. Maybe you can tell me all about Exile or Sticky sometimes. I agree that John was almost all of CCR and his albums are excellent. Yes, I have Blue Ridge Ranger as well as all of his other officially released stuff (solo and CCR). Please note that I saw him in November, 2004. However, John calling himself CCR and touring would be like McCartney and Ringo touring as THe Beatles.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: March 22, 2005 00:48

I saw Fogerty do a club date here in Toronto during the
nineties. He was in fine form, had matured very nicely,
still had a great edge. Stage wise not much of a
presence tho an agreeable enough type fellow.
I too wish he'd let by gones be by gones and
reunite with the original CCR, same with
John Kaye and Steppenwolf. Lifes too short,
and tho in both cases, Fogarty and Kay were
the driving force in their band, their best music
was with the orginal bands which flushed out the
sound, just isn't quite the same. Still, go see
Fogarty, I doubt you'll be disappointed!!!!!

Date: March 22, 2005 01:46

Elmo.....my comments were actually out of a bit of surprize myself seeing CCR as a trio. I had been a big fan of Tom and thought he might have made a bit of a solo career out of his talents. It was after seeing them as a trio and then listening to some older stuff I realized how much of it was john. Then you add the solo projects, his attitude towards other band members and even his own brother...it just starts to add up. I just find John an interesting contradiction....he can play rock guitar like nobodies business, is the worst 'entertainer' I have ever seen (no stage presence, banter, no encore although he does now) and then all the bad press he gets...kind of find it sad.

And sorry but I am not a Stones fan hook,line and sinker in regards to proffesing to understand each and every album. They are the best dam rock band in the world, they are the band I can not miss (the only one), they have more material I want to hear than any other band. But I can count the 'entire' albums I have liked in 50 years on my fingers. I like what I like and most albums just don't have a complete solid song list and the Stones may rate on my #21 appendage. All I will say is for me Exile and LIB may be the closest for me. Heck I was probably the first person on the board to hear Exile live and I did not appreciate them dumping all that new material in one show, in hindsight it's grown on me.

So it sounds like you have quite a collection. I tried to find some live CCR or boots on the CCR fans sites but they would not even respond to my requests....know of any gems out there?

Posted by: Buddy Young ()
Date: March 22, 2005 12:32

I saw John yesterday in Amsterdam....great show! Only: they played very short versions of the CCR songs and cut them of in a pretty strange way sometimes if you ask me.

And also, John was way too high in the mix sometimes and he's not a great frontman in terms of charisma and talking in between songs...

But still...some screams of that man gave me goosebumps!!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 22, 2005 15:10

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
However,
> John calling himself CCR and touring would be like
> McCartney and Ringo touring as THe Beatles.

There were certain bands with one member that decided everything. In my eyes CCR was such a band. Also The Jacksons, T Rex maybe even Roxy Music were bands where one person was vital and the others could easily be replaced.

Lennon & Harrison were vital beatles members. No Beatles without them.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home