Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones - Entertainment for all your family
Posted by: Torres ()
Date: June 5, 2013 17:50

Hi,

This is my 1st post on this forum, although I've been following it since the late 90's.

Some recent posts about the guest artists, namely from posters saying how their teenage daughters enjoyed them, made me think about how the latest Stones shows are made as an entertaining all-family events.

Since there are 2-3 generations present among the audience, the Stones want to please all, in some way. So the general fans get the usual show, the teens get their heroes, and the die-hards like many here get Mick Taylor. In the end there's a good mix of entertainment, some good moments, and everybody walks out happy, and for many here, that's the point of the show.

This kind of entertainment reminds me of plastic Hollywood movies we get all the time. You get the romantic part for the girls, you get the funny part, the action and some racy scenes for their boyfriends, in the end it's all a bit superficial, you eat popcorn and come out saying that it was a good time.

The common denominator here for me is the lack of an artistic component. To go on like this now, for the sake of pure entertainment, can only mean that either they consciously discard the importance of a legacy and do what it takes to maintain themselves popular to big masses, or that they were never so much aware of their cultural dimension in the 60s, 70s and early 80s. And I believe this heritage is being affected by these shows with their "diversity", even more than during the 00s shows.

Unlike some fans here, I'm the 1st to admit that since I became a fan (the same late 90s), I'm not so much interested in the band as I used to be. During the latest years I got a lot into jazz music, and Miles Davis became one of my biggest heroes. To give his example, he explored his art until the very end, always looking to innovate, to create, finding his way through the contemporary sounds. Sometimes I find myself thinking what would Miles be doing today in terms of music, if he was still alive. One thing is for sure: He wouldn't be giving concerts just playing his old catalogue, with some American Idol kids (specially white, but that's another story).

I have the deepest respect for true artists, and for the richness they give us through their work. The Stones gave so much, in their own way, that now I feel it's a pity to insist in these "please-all" kind of attitude.

Once in a while people here discuss that those who went to the concerts had a great time, and that's want counts. In the end, this means that ultimately we could a have a "Rolling Stones on Ice" tour. with guests, ballerinas, you name it. It would be really entertaining, for all the family, and I bet that in the end people would say they had a great time. And they could even say every of the 600 bucks was well spent. "Amazing how Mick can ice skate at that age! Let's just be thankful that they are still rolling (sliding)!"

Sorry for the long post. I guess the "Doxarites" are starting to come out. It's the Taylor Swift effect.

Torres

Re: Stones - Entertainment for all your family
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 5, 2013 17:53

i salute you....more miles! more coltrane! more mingus!! we can't let the stones get away with this.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 5, 2013 17:57

"Rolling Stones, you’ve managed to wipe out your own @#$%& legacy. You’ve stomped it into the ground and turned it into something that no longer remotely resembles the rock ‘n’ roll you once made that changed my life. Go @#$%& yourselves!"

It's not me saying this, but it's the report from this website: [dangerousminds.net]

Maybe a little too harsh, but it's sadly true.

Date: June 5, 2013 17:59

Good post, Torres!

However, they are 70 year olds - not an active band in that sense.

And this is a celebration of 50 years - for all smiling smiley

Date: June 5, 2013 18:04

DandelionPowderman
Good post, Torres!

only one is in his seventies. please. don't age them ahead of schedule.

Date: June 5, 2013 18:05

StonesTod
DandelionPowderman
Good post, Torres!

only one is in his seventies. please. don't age them ahead of schedule.

Not for long...

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 5, 2013 18:06

Torres
Hi,

This is my 1st post on this forum, although I've been following it since the late 90's.

Once in a while people here discuss that those who went to the concerts had a great time, and that's want counts. In the end, this means that ultimately we could a have a "Rolling Stones on Ice" tour. with guests, ballerinas, you name it. It would be really entertaining, for all the family, and I bet that in the end people would say they had a great time. And they could even say every of the 600 bucks was well spent. "Amazing how Mick can ice skate at that age! Let's just be thankful that they are still rolling (sliding)!"

Sorry for the long post. I guess the "Doxarites" are starting to come out. It's the Taylor Swift effect.

Torres

It already is that, let's not kid ourselves.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 5, 2013 18:26

Part of the appeal of The Rolling Stones used to be that they were the exact opposite of family entertainment.

Remember that?

Anyone?

Date: June 5, 2013 18:35

GravityBoy
Part of the appeal of The Rolling Stones used to be that they were the exact opposite of family entertainment.

Remember that?

Anyone?

i do. they hated families and were hellbent on destroying them. they failed, of course, as we know now and decided that if you can't beat 'em, might as well join 'em.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 5, 2013 18:44

Good post.

thankfully Miles left enough music so there's always new stuff to find. He's a bad example to contrast with because he is the only one, the only one, who never did anything other than move on and do something new, other than Coltrance and his life was very short while Miles created new music that did not exist on earth before, over and over, for his entire life. So it's a bit unfair to knock the Stones for not doing what he did; nobody did.

But I certainly agree with your sentiments

Date: June 5, 2013 18:45

Hello Torres

I think I understand your points.

But...Rolling Stones are the Rolling Stones...the most wise band in business, a bunch of extraodinary clever and intelligent people. Their key to success (amongst other things) has always been knowing what exactly to do at any time to be successful in business. They even have been clever (and lucky) in their excessess (coming out alvie after taking tons of poisonous dust, for instance).

If they had behaved like Miles Davis....Rolling Stones would not have lasted 50 years. No way. Impossible. They are not that kind of musicians. Imho.

(phew...how difficult is expresing thoughts in english....grinning smiley)

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 5, 2013 19:29

emotionalbarbecue
Hello Torres

But...Rolling Stones are the Rolling Stones...the most wise band in business, a bunch of extraodinary clever and intelligent people. Their key to success (amongst other things) has always been knowing what exactly to do at any time to be successful in business. They even have been clever (and lucky) in their excessess (coming out alvie after taking tons of poisonous dust, for instance).

If they had behaved like Miles Davis....Rolling Stones would not have lasted 50 years. No way. Impossible. They are not that kind of musicians. Imho.

Yes, they should be heroes to all marketing students. They can be studied in business schools. the veritable prototype of long-term success in the music business.

The thing is, the people who don't like the current direction, marketing success is not what they are interested in, not the viewpoint from which they approach rock and roll.

And there is sommething in between a Miles Davis-type career vs. playing the same 15 songs for 40 years and degenerating into an American idol parody.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 5, 2013 19:38

emotionalbarbecue
Hello Torres

It's hard to think about business when you're talking about a passion, but I got your point.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 5, 2013 20:10

Torres
The common denominator here for me is the lack of an artistic component. To go on like this now, for the sake of pure entertainment, can only mean that either they consciously discard the importance of a legacy and do what it takes to maintain themselves popular to big masses, or that they were never so much aware of their cultural dimension in the 60s, 70s and early 80s. And I believe this heritage is being affected by these shows with their "diversity", even more than during the 00s shows.

...............................................................Torres

In the 1960s the Rolling Stones had as one lead motive: "I can't Get No Satisfaction!"

Now in 2012-13 the Stones have a lead motive, which is an achievemen in this connection. The old message is turned a little round in the only meaningful way: "We Still Desire Satisfaction!"

The Stones could record more new material though. However, are the band to make the effort, they will be certain that new material will have interested listeners. But if the band would implement the said lead motive in new songs, they would be able to prolong their original lead motive in a no-trivial way. It might indeed involve an artistic component. Various themes in different new songs and the underlying lead motive about satisfaction for the band that were the living incarnation of "Sex, Drugs and Roll'n'Roll. If the first two are, respectively, subsided somewhat and given up, the last part of the slogan would shine and could shine. The triumphant continuity of the old slogan in a colourstrong and impressive way. Rather different from the thoughts invoked by the expression "Entertainment for all your family". Instead an Indian summer of creativity of rock! With the vitalized personnel and one available willing instrumentalist in addition to effect it. Reflect on it, please, our dear band! Could there be a renewed interest for a new Rolling Stones studio album?

Date: June 5, 2013 20:15

StonesTod
GravityBoy

Remember that?

Anyone?

i do. they hated families and were hellbent on destroying them. they failed, of course, as we know now and decided that if you can't beat 'em, might as well join 'em.

They tried to destroy Sunday night family entertainment by refusing to go on the revolving stage during the credits of Sunday Night at the London Paladium.

They were animals... or vegetables.. or minerals...

Anyway... it's because of them we got Jimmy Tarbuck hosting the program and then Charlie Williams hosting The Golden Shot (ok this is just a conspiracy theory).

If only they had gone along with it all we would never have had power cuts and miners strikes or Maggie Thatcher or the hairy goat-legged Queen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-05 20:16 by GravityBoy.

Date: June 5, 2013 20:58

i didn't realize it had gotten so bad. the newspapers here are pretty much only interested in the longhorns...

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 5, 2013 20:59

SPOT. ON.

Date: June 5, 2013 21:00

flacnvinyl
SPOT. ON.

Thanks.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 5, 2013 21:03

andrewt
Torres
Hi,

Torres

They could save some face by using a T-shirt canon and letting some merch rip...

Chuck's not doing anything let him pull the trigger

Date: June 5, 2013 21:05

Munichhilton
andrewt
Torres
Hi,

Torres

They could save some face by using a T-shirt canon and letting some merch rip...

Bubbles.

Oh.. and clowns.

That would be nice.

Face painting!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 5, 2013 21:08

GravityBoy
Munichhilton
andrewt
Torres
Hi,

Torres

Bubbles.

Oh.. and clowns.

That would be nice.

Face painting!

These are really strong ideas and should not be overlooked...I would even like to see a guitar string strumming zoo...

Date: June 5, 2013 21:27

There should be a creche.

And a dedicated sign at the side of the stage "Baby crying in Chalet No 37".

37 is just an example obvously, they would have other chalets.

What about Bingo at half time?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 5, 2013 21:31

It would be cool if Bingo came back, he was always a cool IORRer....
and Bingo was his name!

Bingo
It doesn't seem to be working...no one has downloaded, nothing has been uploaded.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 5, 2013 21:32

I thought anyways..... but then again I like the sunny blue sky too.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 5, 2013 21:34

GravityBoy
There should be a creche.

And a dedicated sign at the side of the stage "Baby crying in Chalet No 37".

37 is just an example obvously, they would have other chalets.

What about Bingo at half time?

And shuffleboard, man, that would be sweet.

Date: June 5, 2013 21:44

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 5, 2013 21:56

It all begun with the stadium rock. The beginning of the inevitable end. The last true Stones concert (not a show) took place in October 1973.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 5, 2013 22:03

....but they wouldn't give Charlie Manson a day pass would they ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 5, 2013 22:34

kleermaker
It all begun with the stadium rock. The beginning of the inevitable end. The last true Stones concert (not a show) took place in October 1973.

The last full and true Rolling Stones concert took place in Apostolos Nikolaidis Stadium, Athens, Greece on 17th April 1967. cool smiley

Additional session musicians onstage and a replacement guitarist is not true stones. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 5, 2013 22:56

His Majesty
kleermaker

The last full and true Rolling Stones concert took place in Apostolos Nikolaidis Stadium, Athens, Greece on 17th April 1967. cool smiley

Additional session musicians onstage and a replacement guitarist is not true stones. >grinning smiley<

Well, then we must go back to 1969.
Those concerts until 69 were for screaming young teen girls and fighting teen boys with too much testosterone. cool smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2580
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home