Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Rock N Roll dinosaurs?
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 6, 2013 00:23

Jackglfc
Britpop - Don't focus on Oasis, they burned out after two albums, Pulp are great too grinning smiley Also refering bands like the Smiths and Stone Roses, they were around as a precussor to Britpop

As were The Kinks. Because that's really what the whole "Britpop" trend was based on--that and The Beatles (with Oasis ripping the title of Wonderwall directly from George Harrison) and all those favorite mid-60s acts et al.

Let's not forget the most Kinks-like of the 90s Britpop bands, Blur....

And here are Damon and Ray to sum up 90s Britpop in a nutshell:

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 6, 2013 00:43

Using the title of a film that George Harrison provided the soundtrack for is hardly ripping George Harrison off.

Just about everyone and their dog has been as blatant as Oasis were with borrowing ideas, the stones included.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 6, 2013 00:45

His Majesty
Using the title of a film that George Harrison provided the soundtrack for is hardly ripping George Harrison off.

Just about everyone and their dog has been as blatant as Oasis were with borrowing ideas, the stones included.

Oasis also had some great ideas of their own too...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 6, 2013 00:50

ROCKMAN

Date: June 6, 2013 00:58

Munichhilton
His Majesty

Some, the best idea was deciding to split though. grinning smiley

Date: June 6, 2013 00:59

His Majesty
Munichhilton
His Majesty

Was waiting on that...it may have been good for us, but not for them...

Date: June 6, 2013 01:03

Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton
His Majesty

Better for everyone in the band, they seem much happier and more creative as thy are now.

Date: June 6, 2013 01:09

His Majesty
Munichhilton
His Majesty
Munichhilton
His Majesty

Better for everyone in the band, they seem much happier and more creative as thy are now.

Noel's is quite good...Liam's perfectly stunning voice is going to waste with his band though...they won't be playing Wembley any time soon on their own...

Date: June 6, 2013 01:11

Munichhilton
they won't be playing Wembley any time soon on their own...

Them being creative is more important.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 6, 2013 01:20

His Majesty
Munichhilton
they won't be playing Wembley any time soon on their own...

Them being creative is more important.

his maj has a point...and the stones won't be getting creative anytime soon together. it cuts both ways, it seems. so tragic.

Date: June 6, 2013 01:25

Call me maj from now on. grinning smiley

Date: June 6, 2013 01:29

His Majesty
Call me maj from now on. grinning smiley

maj

Date: June 6, 2013 01:29

wow. that felt much better than i expected....

Date: June 6, 2013 01:31

StonesTod

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 6, 2013 01:36

His Majesty
StonesTod

Took a nap, woke up, and this is what I saw. I am going back to sleep now, and hope this is all a dream.......

Date: June 6, 2013 01:39

Thrylan
His Majesty
StonesTod

Took a nap, woke up, and this is what I saw. I am going back to sleep now, and hope this is all a dream.......

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 6, 2013 03:24

Ninety percent of everything is crap.

- Theodore Sturgeon

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 6, 2013 03:47

MileHigh

- Theodore Sturgeon

Except crap, that's 100% crap.

Date: June 6, 2013 04:31

andrewt
MileHigh

- Theodore Sturgeon

what about fertilizer?

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: June 6, 2013 10:04

Neil Young last Night at the Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam. For us Dinasaur lovers.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 6, 2013 10:07

andrewt
MileHigh

- Theodore Sturgeon

80% Of the time someone uses a percentage in a statement, it's wrong....

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 6, 2013 10:22

I too am a dinosaur lover, and it really worries me the direction rock is going. Yes there are good rock bands around but they will never hit the dizzy peaks of the 70s bands. The music business will ensure that doesn't happen. In the 70s you had fewer choices, disco, pop and rock were the big three fir the youth culture, that is now diluted across many new genres. As for ability, its there, but the song writing falls way short and in 40 years time i doubt people will be listening to today's bands. I'm still hoping for a renaissance of rock though. Maybe the youth watching this stones tour will be inspired?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 6, 2013 15:58

andrewt
VoodooLounge13
No 90's grunge was the last great period of music, I agree, but most of those bands are long gone, or shells of their former greatness. I was never a Pearl Jam fan - or not a big one. To me, Vs. and No Code are their best albums, with a couple of other songs here and there, but otherwise forgettable. Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, STP were all great. But all gone. Sure AIC is still touring, but it's not the same without the volatile Layne Staley, and Soundgarden just got back together within the last year. The album wasn't nearly as good as their prior efforts. Same with STP. The magic is gone I think.

I was never a fan of 90's British pop - assuming you're referring to likes of say Oasis? British pop to me is more like Depeche Mode and Fine Young Cannibals. Love that stuff. Amy Winehouse was great. Picked up Adele's 21 a couple of weeks back - thoroughly disappointed in it. Music today is much more hit or miss. The Black Crowes are carrying on nicely, but they're an older band as well.

I'm talking post-grunge. What has been relevant to last and stand the test of time? Not a whole helluva lot. Jack White I think is good, but I do find a lot of his albums are not as easily accessible - of course I only have one and have listened to others, so maybe I'm just trying to like him more than I really do? Not sure, but he was great on Loving Cup. And he's very talented to be sure. He has some good stuff, but I find a lot of it to be not my cup of tea is all.

It's a different climate now for sure. The era of music industry domination has ended, and ultimately it was just a blip, an anomaly, that had a great run for about 40 some-odd years from the fifties to the nineties. No band can sell enough units (because people, kids especially, do not consume their music that way anymore en masse) to become private-jet flying, mansions and limos rockstars. In the end, that burned itself out. As a result, bands now will not linger in mass-consciousness long enough to have long careers based on a few mega mega selling albums. Electronic dance music is still quite profitable and popular but that's of no help to someone waiting for the next Bon Jovi.

I'm not waiting for the next Bon Jovi. I have a vast assortment of music that I love, and I would agree Dance does well, mostly because it's all single driven. The age of the album seems to be dead, as we've reverted back to the single. I love the Black Eyed Peas and Will.I.Am, but most on here don't and will jump down my throat for it. It's fine if you don't like a musician - there are many several of you listen to that I don't like, but that's no need to bash em the way most are bashed. If you don't like someone, just state it and move on. I think it's great to see the huge array of musical styles enjoyed by members on here.

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: June 6, 2013 17:45

Once the Stones wind down, the undisputed kings still touring will be AC/DC. Still a decade to go.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 6, 2013 18:07

crumbling_mice
Despite owning many CD's made by current 'rock' bands, I realised the other day that I always go back to the likes of the Stones, Zeppelin, Doors, CSNY, Neil Young, Grateful Dead, etc etc in comparision, well, there is no comparison! The contemproray 'rock' bands occasiionally knock out a half decent tune, but clearly these musicians just aren't as good and certainly not as good at song writing as the old dinosaurs above. It's worrying in that we simply don't get classic rock albums anymore, and before anyone starts with nonsense suggestions about bands like the Foo Fighters etc consider this...in 40 years who will be listening to the recordings of bands like that? We don't get the classic rock songs anymore that will stand the test of time.

Is this the final death throws of a failing genre, or will there be a renaissance in the coming decades where we will see the emergence of the super band once again?

Hmm couldn't a fan who grew up on bb king, muddy and chuck berry say the same about the stones? Isn't most of this generational?

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 6, 2013 18:51

I just think, that in our youth, when we are growing and everything seems so important and intense, the music that was the soundtrack to that time in our lives seems better, more intense. It moved us, inspired us. That doesn't happen as much or as deeply later in life.

Also, with the end of record labels and normal promotion. I think the music industry is struggling to promote itself. Many more bands, few huge ones with staying power.

Tonite I'm blowing off driving to Toronto to see the Stones. (I hope they do a great show for those in attendance, but I am turned off by the Vegas money-grab of the tour and the reliance on so much of the same material..). Instead I am seeing a younger rock band called The Hold Steady for a free show outdoors here in Buffalo. Guys playing music with passion and working it. Will I feel the same sentiments or emotions that I get from Stones music? Nope. But time moves forward and I'd rather have at least one foot in the future and experiment than be completely in the past...and paying a ton of money to keep Mick and Keith's lifestyles up. I know nothing by the Hold Steady. They will have to win me, and much of the crowd over. But I find that more exciting.

Date: June 6, 2013 19:18

sonomastone
crumbling_mice
Despite owning many CD's made by current 'rock' bands, I realised the other day that I always go back to the likes of the Stones, Zeppelin, Doors, CSNY, Neil Young, Grateful Dead, etc etc in comparision, well, there is no comparison! The contemproray 'rock' bands occasiionally knock out a half decent tune, but clearly these musicians just aren't as good and certainly not as good at song writing as the old dinosaurs above. It's worrying in that we simply don't get classic rock albums anymore, and before anyone starts with nonsense suggestions about bands like the Foo Fighters etc consider this...in 40 years who will be listening to the recordings of bands like that? We don't get the classic rock songs anymore that will stand the test of time.

Is this the final death throws of a failing genre, or will there be a renaissance in the coming decades where we will see the emergence of the super band once again?

Hmm couldn't a fan who grew up on bb king, muddy and chuck berry say the same about the stones? Isn't most of this generational?

Yes, I think there is a generational element to it, especially with genres as well
the 50s saw sniffle and the birth of rock, but think how rock music developed from there to now. It starts as a rebelious force to today where rock is considered safe, socially acceptable. It peaked in the 70s.

Date: June 6, 2013 19:23

sniffle? i usually just drink a lot of liquids and it goes away...

Date: June 6, 2013 20:06

StonesTod

Bloody hell Tod, you were on that fast....skiffle, just to clarify.

Date: June 6, 2013 20:14

crumbling_mice
StonesTod

Bloody hell Tod, you were on that fast....skiffle, just to clarify.

we're on a tight schedule today with the show coming up and all..

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1509
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home