Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Rolling Stones on vinyl: Which versions to get?
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 3, 2013 22:30

I've bought a record player. I haven't had one since I was a kid. It's a BeoCenter 2200 with B&O speakers. Saturday I purchased the 2003 lp reissue of Let It Bleed, and Jesus the sound is awesome compared to anything else I've heard. It's simply the way to go. It seems that the 2003 reissues is the best of the Decca years. What about the 1971 to present albums on lp? Which version of those are the best?

JumpingKentFlash

Re: The Rolling Stones on vinyl: Which versions to get?
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 3, 2013 22:36

I was wondering how the new reissues (180 gram clear vinyl) sound like.
Any improvement? Worth getting?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: June 3, 2013 22:47

Congratulations with your record player Kent! Go for used ones in a good condition. Black And Blue sounds great on vinyl for example. Explore.

Enjoy the trip.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 3, 2013 22:51

Have the new 60s new 180g, love it.

Hugely expensive though, if you're on a budget try ebay and some of the 60s/70s albums...some can be had for very cheap.

For instance, Some Girls, still sealed I've bought for $10...original pressing with the banned cover. That is certainly worth it!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 3, 2013 22:58

It was awfully cheap to buy the record player+speakers. Total was like 95€. I can't get the sound of Let It Bleed out of my head. Midnight Rambler is my new fave Stones track because of that. Jesus what a difference. And on a stereo from the mid-80s....

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 3, 2013 23:05

Get the SG bonus disc on vinyl + Live in Texas 180g!

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: June 3, 2013 23:16

If you dont get sufficient answers here, I would suggest the Steve Hoffman forum, where you can search and discuss every minutae detail on the different releases.

The original British and US releases, early presses, are of course manys favorite, including mine, but the ABKCO box 64-69 is generally thought of as really good. Poor artwork, but good remastered versions. I also have the second box but with that one you get into the whole "loudness war" debate, which Kowalski et al can tell you a great deal about.

I´d start with both boxes for the convenience of it and then gradually dive into the real stuff: some original first presses.
I spent much of last year getting the majority of the British and American true first presses, and that cost about 13000$. So thats not a way to go I would recommend.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 4, 2013 00:10

2003 vinyl reissues are good though they are made from high res digital files (the same that were used for SACD releases in 2002).

For post 1971 albums it's better to get original pressings (when it's possible) as UMG inyl reissues are made from the disastrous 2009 remasters.

A review of Exile 2010 vinyl reissue which gives good hint at what to expect from these : Exile For the iPod Generation

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 4, 2013 00:18

The sixties vinyl box set of original uk albums, is sadly now out of print and goes for extremly high prises. Too bad I didn't buy two and thereby got my pension all saved up! :-D

But on a more serious level, I would definetly go for any modern day re-issue of Beggars Banquet, which blows the original pressing to pieces. Be it the 2003, 2010 or the new clear vinyl issue, they all sound great!

ABKCO is apparently preparing re-issues of the whole catalouge on clear vinyl, so there is an option to get these albums for reasonable money.

Otherwise, regarding the releases from 1971 onwards, the original releases, which are not expensive or hard to find, is the way to go. The 2010 re-issues, apparently sucked big-time.

Date: June 4, 2013 09:33

RobberBride
If you dont get sufficient answers here, I would suggest the Steve Hoffman forum, where you can search and discuss every minutae detail on the different releases.

The original British and US releases, early presses, are of course manys favorite, including mine, but the ABKCO box 64-69 is generally thought of as really good. Poor artwork, but good remastered versions. I also have the second box but with that one you get into the whole "loudness war" debate, which Kowalski et al can tell you a great deal about.

I´d start with both boxes for the convenience of it and then gradually dive into the real stuff: some original first presses.
I spent much of last year getting the majority of the British and American true first presses, and that cost about 13000$. So thats not a way to go I would recommend.

Just out of curiousity Robber...what was the hardest to get/priciest piece in that lot?

Date: June 4, 2013 09:51

treaclefingers

Just out of curiousity Robber...what was the hardest to get/priciest piece in that lot?

He he, I dont want to think too much about the stupidity of prices...but lets say the ones I still haven´t got are the "Flowers" export for Japan and the signed Promotional album from 69.
As you know very few were made and they are often sold around the $4500-5000 mark these days.
Some days I think its really insane of me trying to get them. But then again, on some strange nights, like a criminal, I just find myself having browsed for them on Ebay for hours, my heart beating like crazy.

Date: June 4, 2013 11:48

RobberBride
treaclefingers

He he, I dont want to think too much about the stupidity of prices...but lets say the ones I still haven´t got are the "Flowers" export for Japan and the signed Promotional album from 69.
As you know very few were made and they are often sold around the $4500-5000 mark these days.
Some days I think its really insane of me trying to get them. But then again, on some strange nights, like a criminal, I just find myself having browsed for them on Ebay for hours, my heart beating like crazy.

You told me you were cured! Now you're back on the sauce? winking smiley

Date: June 4, 2013 13:20

DandelionPowderman
Robberbride
On some strange nights, like a criminal, I just find myself having browsed for them on Ebay for hours, my heart beating like crazy.

You told me you were cured! Now you're back on the sauce? winking smiley

Ma, is that you???
I´m just joking with them boys. Im not on the sauce again! I swear!

Date: June 4, 2013 13:32

grinning smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 4, 2013 16:45

The 1980s Japanese Virgin vinyl pressings are superb. The albums are beautiful, crisp pictures on very heavy stock cardboard. Usually gatefold, and with lyrics (that can be quite funny!). Exile jumps out and pokes your eyes out.

I also agree on the ABKCO box set. Very good remastering. Crisp sound with a lot of the dullness removed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 16:46 by whitem8.

Date: June 4, 2013 19:16

RobberBride
treaclefingers

I had an amazing abused version of the Promo Album (US version) in my sights a few years ago, for about $300.

I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger, it was in horrible condition, mold, eaten away, writing, Poor/Fair vinyl condition.

I wonder how big a mistake that was?

EDIT: I should note I have an AMAZING copy of the Promo album, a fake true, but in mint condition. It looks the same, same songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 19:18 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 5, 2013 17:04

How does the MFSL box compare to those mentioned above?

[compare.ebay.com]

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: June 5, 2013 19:00

treaclefingers

Hugely expensive though, if you're on a budget try ebay and some of the 60s/70s albums...some can be had for very cheap.

For instance, Some Girls, still sealed I've bought for $10...original pressing with the banned cover. That is certainly worth it!

That makes two of us! I still have a sealed Some Girls lp with the original artwork (Lucille Ball etc). Bought both the LP and Cassette tape the same day they went on sale and had not bothered to play the record. Then the recall happened and I bought a second LP and played it to death.

CBII

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: June 5, 2013 20:16

treaclefingers

These versions!!

Date: June 5, 2013 20:20

whitem8
The 1980s Japanese Virgin vinyl pressings are superb. The albums are beautiful, crisp pictures on very heavy stock cardboard. Usually gatefold, and with lyrics (that can be quite funny!). Exile jumps out and pokes your eyes out.

I also agree on the ABKCO box set. Very good remastering. Crisp sound with a lot of the dullness removed.

1980s Japanese Virgin vinyl pressings ? What's that ?

I thought they signed on Virgin Records in 1993 ?

Date: June 5, 2013 22:32

kowalski
whitem8

If you're not being cute, then he should have said 'virgin vinyl' not Virgin vinyl. The type of vinyl as opposed to the company Virgin.

If you are being cute, stop please, that's my schtick.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: June 6, 2013 00:32

Hi folks!

The quintessential vinyl item to own should be the MFSL, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Box.
It was issued in th early eighties and has the best remastered (from original analog tapes) pressed on the JVC's Super Vinyl.
Google these references for more I informations.

Today it is a collector's item but I think it can be found on EBay, for €1.000 and more....

Check also MFSL versions of Sticky Fingers and Some Girls. Best money can buy.

I bought all this around 3 years ago on EBay.

If you love the Stones, as I do, and care for the best sounding music money can buy, as I do, then go for it!

Kind Regards!

Date: June 6, 2013 04:34

treaclefingers
kowalski
whitem8

If you're not being cute, then he should have said 'virgin vinyl' not Virgin vinyl. The type of vinyl as opposed to the company Virgin.

"Virgin vinyl is the term for vinyl products that do not contain PVC from regrind or recycled products.
These recycled products, which may contain impurities or lower-grade vinyl, could be imported into an extrusion plant and seriously affect the resilience, impact resistance, and UV-inhibiting properties of the final finished product."

[polyvinylcreations.blogspot.fr]

Thanks for enlightening me.

Date: June 6, 2013 05:52

kowalski
treaclefingers
kowalski
whitem8

"Virgin vinyl is the term for vinyl products that do not contain PVC from regrind or recycled products.
These recycled products, which may contain impurities or lower-grade vinyl, could be imported into an extrusion plant and seriously affect the resilience, impact resistance, and UV-inhibiting properties of the final finished product."

thumbs up

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 6, 2013 08:22

treaclefingers
kowalski
treaclefingers
kowalski
whitem8

thumbs up

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 6, 2013 14:29

So long as they're in reasonable nick, the best sounding vinyls are almost always the original releases & pressings.

...and contrary to the accepted wisdom. the better your record deck, the less the apparent condition matters.

[High quality decks are able to reduce surface noise to inobtrusive levels due to their better dynamic range and mechnical control of the signal.And modern high quality stylus profiles track deeper parts of the groove walls, previously unmolested by "Dansette" chisels !]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-06 14:41 by Spud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1834
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home