Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Chicago club show?
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 31, 2013 00:21

Tweets from local band Eat That Plastic:

- A bird told me the rolling stones are playing a secret late night set sometime between now and June 4 in Chicago... Club set...

- I can't drop the venue name but it's happening...

- venues can't deal with friends' "hey bro can you get me in?" Plus I don't want to be haunted by the ghost of Keith

[twitter.com]

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 31, 2013 00:23

Would be awesome...

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 00:24

Why would Buddy open a show? They haven't had a single support act.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 31, 2013 00:48

bye bye johnny
Tweets from local band Eat That Plastic:

- A bird told me the rolling stones are playing a secret late night set sometime between now and June 4 in Chicago... Club set...

Ostrich, parrot, sparrow???

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 31, 2013 00:55

I wonder what would motivate them to want to play a club show at this point? In this time frame? If they do, then it will be back to back show nights and I thought Mick Jagger had said no more of that, just to be in strong voice for all shows. Of course it would be cool for the 200-300 who make it in if it happens, but what does it do for The Stones? It just doesn't make much sense right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 00:56 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 31, 2013 00:58

Max'sKansasCity
I wonder what would motivate them to want to play a club show at this point? In this time frame? If they do, then it will be back to back show nights and I thought Mick Jagger had said no more of that, just to be in strong voice for all shows. Of course it would be cool for the 200-300 who make it in if it happens, but what does it do for The Stones? It just doesn't make much sense right now.

'cause they're young and don't give a s**t..

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 31, 2013 01:04

duke richardson
Max'sKansasCity

'cause they're young and don't give a s**t..

I guess we will know soon enough. tick tock.

Date: May 31, 2013 03:02

withaheadfullofsnow
Hello all. This is the first time I have posted on this board with information from behind the scenes. I live in chicago and know someone "in the know" in the Buddy Guy camp. I've heard there is a disagreement between Buddy and the Stones camp on what Buddy would be paid to open one of their remaining Chicago shows. As of now, Buddy is not interested and I would doubt the Stones would play at his club. I would get into more detail but I do not want to get anyone in trouble.

Again, this is from a very legit source. It could turn out to be wrong, but this is what I am hearing.

TeddyB1018
Why would Buddy open a show? They haven't had a single support act.

Presume the OP meant a guest spot. If the info is accurate, hope things get ironed out.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 31, 2013 03:10

FYI: Today's private event is NOT a show by the @RollingStones. Really. If they drop in, it will be without warning, while we are open.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: May 31, 2013 06:59

I highly doubt they will do one. One reason is that they seem to be sticking to three off days in between, even the surprise gig happened a few days before the first announced date. Don't they usually only do one surprise gig at the very beginning just to "get the rust off"? They've played smaller venues in some cities but it was never a surprise.

Date: May 31, 2013 17:06

What of cocaine eyes talking about? Who is offended? People why are we fighting? Whose fighting and what for? Seriously, when and where?

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:51

Max'sKansasCity
I wonder what would motivate them to want to play a club show at this point? In this time frame? Of course it would be cool for the 200-300 who make it in if it happens, but what does it do for The Stones? It just doesn't make much sense right now.

I agree, there is no motivation for it....although one thing I have noticed about this tour...it's subtle, but to me there seems to be a real conscious effort going on, to make this tour appear to be just like every other Stones tour...the placement of the 2 new songs, the things Keith has said (same quotes he's been saying about tours and the Stones since the '80s), certain things Mick has said in interviews. That quote from L'Wren Scott, about when she's traveling with Mick and he's with those people (the band)....her quote made it sound like that happens all the time, when it clearly doesn't. But everything seems designed, to make it look like it's the same as any other tour from their heyday, that they are immune to aging...

I happen to think it's a Peter Pan thing, they don't want to get old, they don't want to admit that anything has ever changed, they are ageless wonders -- they want you to think that you are getting the exact same Rolling Stones show that you have ever gotten...Mick and the band are frozen in time. So I could understand the club show in that sense, as part of a "the Stones keep on rolling" cliche narrative for the press or whatever. To them a club gig in Chicago, in the middle of a tour, makes it sound like it's still 1981 and they're playing with Muddy again. So I can see why it might have an appeal to them personally, IF it happens. I think some of this tour is a nostalgia trip for the band to relive their other tours...

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:56

Or maybe they just like playing clubs once in a while. Nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:59

DandelionPowderman
Cocaine Eyes
DandelionPowderman
Cocaine Eyes
gotdablouse
Didn't you just make that post in ALL CAPS and bolded color already? Not sure how that's helping anyway?

OK cool No more help........Sorry it offended you.

cool smiley

Toronto or Chicago? Kinda confusing to have to choose one or the other confused smiley

They don't want any help. So, my lips are sealed.

Who are "they", and what kind of help did you have in mind?

People in general who don't thank her for gracing us with her posts here it seems...based on what I've seen since the fall, Cocaine Eyes has said (like the rumors did) that there would be club shows in Paris and LA, and now she mentions Toronto in this thread but :
a. didn't provide any info as to where these shows would take place ahead of time or
b. didn't say where tickets for these shows could be bought
-> hence my asking quite matter-of-factly how that was helping anybody and her concluding that "they" didn't want to be helped, go figure!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 18:11 by gotdablouse.

Date: May 31, 2013 18:31

Yesterday's FYI from Buddy Guy's Legends was straight up. The private show featured former Stones opener Sugar Ray,

[twitter.com]

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: May 31, 2013 19:36

bye bye johnny
Yesterday's FYI from Buddy Guy's Legends was straight up. The private show featured former Stones opener Sugar Ray,

[twitter.com]

I hope you meant to say Sugar Blue because I hate the band Sugar Ray.

Posted by: mcgeez8 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 20:08

no it actually was SUGAR RAY. I thought it was a typo too, until I looked at the pictures

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151621679883656.1073741841.90988988655&type=3&l=2072fe59d4

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 31, 2013 20:25

gotdablouse
DandelionPowderman
Cocaine Eyes
DandelionPowderman
Cocaine Eyes
gotdablouse
Didn't you just make that post in ALL CAPS and bolded color already? Not sure how that's helping anyway?

OK cool No more help........Sorry it offended you.

cool smiley

Toronto or Chicago? Kinda confusing to have to choose one or the other confused smiley

They don't want any help. So, my lips are sealed.

Who are "they", and what kind of help did you have in mind?

People in general who don't thank her for gracing us with her posts here it seems...based on what I've seen since the fall, Cocaine Eyes has said (like the rumors did) that there would be club shows in Paris and LA, and now she mentions Toronto in this thread but :
a. didn't provide any info as to where these shows would take place ahead of time or
b. didn't say where tickets for these shows could be bought
-> hence my asking quite matter-of-factly how that was helping anybody and her concluding that "they" didn't want to be helped, go figure!

For her sake, I hope she's going June 6 and posts a review. Get in on the fun, darling! Anyways, if there's a club show in Toronto I'd find out and let all you know without the drama, but there won't be.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 31, 2013 20:59

When they've done drop-ins in Chicago blues clubs in the past it's not like they played an entire show. more like sit in on a few songs. So it's not crazy for them to do that with a concert the next day - it's really not like back to back concerts.

Posted by: chianon ()
Date: May 31, 2013 22:16

Heard from a prominent club owner in Chicago that they are "definitely" playing somewhere. He had knowledge of a late night private event at the Metro Sat. night that a photographer who is known to shoot the Stones was called to. All hearsay but thought I'd pass it on.

Date: May 31, 2013 22:31

Twin Shadow is at The Metro tomorrow, so if it happens it could indeed be a late night.

[www.metrochicago.com]

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: May 31, 2013 22:33

Maybe they have rented a club for tomorrow night to celebrate Ronnie and Charlies birthdays. It could be a private event and the Stones or individual members could get up and play thus saving Mick from having the do a full show 1 day after playing the regular concert tonight.

something extra in Chicago likely
Date: May 31, 2013 15:33

Ok ..no way of knowing..but i hope a club show...
Ronnie's birthday is Saturday

Charlie's is Sunday ...
and they are in the city of the music they love

plus it's Darryl's hometown..

Re: something extra in Chicago likely
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:22

i predict bernard and mick sing happy birthday to both lads...and darryl goes home for a well-deserved home-cooked meal. what a band.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:24

I hope a blues club gig

Date: May 31, 2013 16:28

big BBQ birthday bash ..

bring back Big Boss Man to the setlist...play it in a blues club along with a bunch of blues..

the (live ) blues album we've been wanting..

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: June 1, 2013 02:20

chianon
Heard from a prominent club owner in Chicago that they are "definitely" playing somewhere.

He's absolutely 100% correct...

[www.rollingstones.com]

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: June 1, 2013 04:33

...where in [www.rollingstones.com] ? Thanks smiling smiley

Date: June 1, 2013 14:21

Reads like a promo for Legends. Ian Steward? Past member Jon Stewart??

5 Reasons Why The Rolling Stones Might Play an Impromptu Show While in Chicago

May 31, 2013 11:16 AM

Since 1989, Buddy Guy’s Legends has established itself as Chicago’s premiere blues club and one of the nation’s most popular blues venues. Legends is famed for its unique scheduling of a wide range of blues acts, featuring everything from local performers to internationally famous blues bands. In the 24 years Legends has been hosting music, their stage has been graced by some of the world’s most talented musicians, including Van Morrison, David Bowie, John Mayer, ZZ Top, and more. Here’s an exciting idea to entertain: could we possibly see The Rolling Stones play at Legends or some other blues venue in the near future? Here’s 5 reasons why this is a distinct possibility.

1.The Rolling Stones are in Chicago right now.

Just two days ago, the Stones performed their first of three sold-out shows at the United Center with guest artist Taj Mahal. Dedicated fans paid upwards of $600 a ticket to see the Stones turn back the clock of time and play a variety of hits for their “50 and Counting” tour. If the Stones were in the mood for an encore performance at a smaller venue, don’t be surprised if they make an appearance at Legends or another local blues venue.

2.The Stones have played at Legends before.

In 2002, Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood astonished a local audience by making a surprise guest appearance at Legends. While most Rolling Stones admirers often pay hundreds of dollars for nosebleed section tickets, Legends attendees back in ’02 were astounded that the $10 cover charge granted them floor seats to a world-class concert experience led by Mick Jagger himself.

3.The London based legends have a rich history in the windy city.

Back in 1964, the late original band member Ian Steward originally joined past member Jon Stewart and initially started playing Chicago blues with influences from legendary artists Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley. In fact, during their first US tour the same year, The Rolling Stones recorded some of their early work here in Chicago and met some of their greatest influences, including blues icon Muddy Waters. In other words, The Stones always have and always will love Chicago. If there’s one city in the US where The Rolling Stones would make encore appearances in a smaller venue, it’s right here in Chicago.

4.There’s Room in the Schedule.

Despite all the bluesy events consistently going on throughout the city in the summer months, there really aren’t any major headliners scheduled in the next few days. In fact, most blues settings including Legends as well as other major venues are hosting smaller-scale, local bands and have a conspicuous lack of major headliner depth. With other blues venues across the city having openings, an impromptu Stones appearance just may not be so coincidental.

5.The Stones and Buddy Guy get along famously.

Former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman once said, “Guitar legends do not come any better than Buddy Guy.” In fact, Guy opened for The Rolling Stones on numerous tours since the early 1970’s. Buddy Guy’s Legends is scheduled to host an Eddie Campbell benefit event, which means Buddy Guy himself will be making personal appearances at Legends throughout the week. In the name of blues, this couldn’t be a more opportune time for a spontaneous performance by none other than The Rolling Stones.

[wxrt.cbslocal.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 1, 2013 14:45

What would be nice is a blues-based club-show broadcasted worldwide live on NPR or Youtube...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home