Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - The Rascals
Posted by: Fixembones ()
Date: May 28, 2013 04:48

The rascals were my mom's favorite band so I took her to see them last night at the hard rock live in Hollywood Florida. They played a really nice set, 31 songs altogether. Felix Cavalerie still sounds great...Eddie Brigati not as good.. Very cool show with video interviews in the background in between songs. Evidently all four of them haven't played together in 40 years. Drummer Dino Danneli was very sharp. Really fun show I recommend anybody goes to see if they come to your city!!

Re: OT - The Rascals
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: May 28, 2013 04:59

So they don't bill themselves The Young Rascals anymore? I always thought they were pretty good too but never saw them live. That Hollywood Florida is becoming a hopping place. My mother in law lives there.

Date: May 28, 2013 06:28

Lol nope! Just "the rascals".
It's a nice venue, about 15 mins from my house. I saw Crosby stills and Nash there 2 weeks ago, another great concert

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: May 28, 2013 07:50

Always loved the (young) rascals, feel-good childhood music! cool smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 28, 2013 08:57

All the world over, so easy to see....

Date: May 28, 2013 17:39

People everywhere just wanna be free!!

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 28, 2013 18:39

Another good band from NJ. The singer had a nice voice.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 28, 2013 18:59

They started out as a showband, with roots in the twist band Joey Dee & the Starliters.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 28, 2013 21:29

The Rascals tour is part of a show put together by Little Steven of the E-Street Band because he loves the (Young) Rascals. The show did a limited run last year and was expanded into a longer tour after the success of the limited run. If you dig the Rascals, find a copy of their "Peaceful World" album, preferably the two LP vinyl version with the great fold out cover. A painting by Gauguin graces the album cover. Not every song is a winner, IMHO, but there's enough good stuff on this album to make it a good buy and listen. It's the group's, or I should say, Felix Caviliere, expanding the band's sound. Really excellent backup musicians on it.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 23:17

Just blissful.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: May 28, 2013 23:46

They are playing about 10 miles from me on Friday night at Ruth Echerd Hall in Clearwater, Florida. I am thinking about taking my girlfriend, tickets are $55 to $200 and the $200 tickets get you seats in the first 5 rows and a meet and greet. I have always liked the Young Rascals so I'm sure it would be a great show to see.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 7, 2013 16:49

A few people have started threads about the Rascals reunion tour, but there doesn't seem to be too much interest in it here. Any updates on this? I've heard there's been high ticket prices and cancelled shows, but the tour continues. I'm hoping to see them when they come to Detroit in November. Anyone else seen them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-07 16:52 by tatters.

Date: September 7, 2013 17:05

mighty stork
So they don't bill themselves The Young Rascals anymore?

Not since 1968.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 7, 2013 17:16

Would love to see if they are in the NJ/NY area again. Another great live show I probably missed.

Rascals definitely my kind of music.

Date: September 7, 2013 21:38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-07 21:39 by tatters.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 7, 2013 22:19

This is a nice album by them.

Date: September 8, 2013 01:02

Any theories as to why they never cracked the UK market, Dagger? Only two of their singles ever charted there. Groovin' and this one:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-08 01:05 by tatters.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 8, 2013 01:12

tatters
Any theories as to why they never cracked the UK market, Dagger? Only two of their singles ever charted there. Groovin' and this one:

Poor marketing and management, perhaps? It may just be one of those things. The Small Faces only had the one hit (Itchycoo Park) on the U.S. Billboard Chart. They were huge in the U.K.

Date: September 8, 2013 01:42

Big Al
tatters

Poor marketing and management, perhaps? It may just be one of those things. The Small Faces only had the one hit (Itchycoo Park) on the U.S. Billboard Chart. They were huge in the U.K.

There must be something about the music of certain groups that, for whatever reason, just doesn't translate well on the other side of the pond. In the same way that some British groups were just too British for American ears, The Rascals were just so .... New York; not Manhattan so much, but a sound more evocative of the poorer, more ethnic and racially mixed outer boroughs. Oddly, though, they were even more popular in Canada than they were in the states. Of course, one member, Gene Cornish, was born in Ottawa, Ontario, but hometown loyalty wouldn't be enough to account for them having six No. 1 hits in Canada (compared to only three in the states), would it?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-08 01:51 by tatters.

Date: September 8, 2013 01:49

tatters

There must be something about the music of certain groups that, for whatever reason, just doesn't translate well on the other side of the pond. In the same way that some British groups were just too British for American ears, The Rascals were just so .... New York; not Manhattan so much, but a sound more evocative of the poorer, more ethnic and racially mixed outer boroughs. Oddly, though, they were even more popular in Canada than they were in the states.

Good points - and it's a subject-matter I find quite interesting. It's as relevant in today's pop world as it was in the 1960's-70's as well, in my opinion. Some acts just don't cross over. However, one very American act - well, to my ears - that did have some substantial U.K. success were the Lovin' Sponful. I remember being quite surprised that my dad had a few of their LP's.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 8, 2013 02:38

Their third single--and follow-up to Good Lovin'--shows their more rockin' side and was a song that was later covered fairly widely, most famously by Pat Benatar, but also by Eddie and The Hot Rods, Peter Kriss, and, in 1966, by a young Robert Plant (his recording debut with the band Listen and first single).

The Pat Benatar version (1980; this was also the second video to be played on MTV's August 1, 1981 debut, following Video Killed The Radio Star):

The Robert Plant (with Listen) version from 1966:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-08 02:39 by stonehearted.

Date: September 8, 2013 02:40

I must confess that I have only ever known Good Lovin'. Has it featured in the Simpsons at any point or some movie, perhaps? As tatters has pointed out, they are largely unknown in the U.K.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 8, 2013 03:05

Not always--they were slated to tour with Traffic and other bands I can't remember at least once in the late 60s, and cancelled (at least, they cancelled for the show I had tickets for. I went anyway). They were fairly well known to those who were into what we then called underground music (I guess because they took to wearing caftans, etc.).

Date: September 12, 2013 06:23

Big Al
tatters

There must be something about the music of certain groups that, for whatever reason, just doesn't translate well on the other side of the pond. In the same way that some British groups were just too British for American ears, The Rascals were just so .... New York; not Manhattan so much, but a sound more evocative of the poorer, more ethnic and racially mixed outer boroughs. Oddly, though, they were even more popular in Canada than they were in the states.

Good points - and it's a subject-matter I find quite interesting. It's as relevant in today's pop world as it was in the 1960's-70's as well, in my opinion. Some acts just don't cross over. However, one very American act - well, to my ears - that did have some substantial U.K. success were the Lovin' Sponful. I remember being quite surprised that my dad had a few of their LP's.

Loved the Lovin' Spoonful as a little kid....thought then they were from the U.K.! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: bam ()
Date: September 12, 2013 07:27

Saw the show in boston. I bought discount tickets the day before the show. It was very good (though not spectacular).

Eddie was on that night. "How can I be sure" was chill-inducing.

The theater was maybe 70% full. Peter Wolf was sitting behind me at the back of the main floor for the first few songs. I don't know if be left or moved.

Worth seeing if you get the chance.

Date: September 12, 2013 14:54

bam
Saw the show in boston. I bought discount tickets the day before the show. It was very good (though not spectacular).

The theater was maybe 70% full. Peter Wolf was sitting behind me at the back of the main floor for the first few songs. I don't know if he left or moved.

Thanks, bam. Detroit tickets go on sale tomorrow. I think I can do a couple $50 balcony seats. It'll be interesting to see how well they do here. They've booked the 5,000-seat Fox Theater for two nights, so they're obviously expecting to do very well here. Like I said, they were HUGE in Canada, which is just across the river from us, and they just played a long run of shows in Toronto, I believe. Plus, I'm sure they're convinced the relative soulfulness of their music will pull in the black audience here as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-12 14:56 by tatters.

Date: September 13, 2013 10:03

tatters
bam

The theater was maybe 70% full. Peter Wolf was sitting behind me at the back of the main floor for the first few songs. I don't know if he left or moved.

Thanks, bam. Detroit tickets go on sale tomorrow. I think I can do a couple $50 balcony seats. It'll be interesting to see how well they do here. They've booked the 5,000-seat Fox Theater for two nights, so they're obviously expecting to do very well here. Like I said, they were HUGE in Canada, which is just across the river from us, and they just played a long run of shows in Toronto, I believe. Plus, I'm sure they're convinced the relative soulfulness of their music will pull in the black audience here as well.

How Can I Be Sure one of their best, memories! cool smiley

Date: September 14, 2013 21:46

Got two on the main floor (way in the back) for $133. Kinda pricey, but the "all four original members" aspect is just too tempting to pass up. This is almost certainly the last time any pop/rock group that was around during the Rascals 1966-1968 heyday tours with all of its original members.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-15 01:46 by tatters.

Date: September 15, 2013 06:38

tatters
Got two on the main floor (way in the back) for $133. Kinda pricey, but the "all four original members" aspect is just too tempting to pass up. This is almost certainly the last time any pop/rock group that was around during the Rascals 1966-1968 heyday tours with all of its original members.

Good for you! Groovin on a Sunday afternoon....cool smiley

Date: September 16, 2013 00:36

Five-night stand in Chicago goes on sale this week. Looks like we get only one show here in Detroit .... if they don't cancel it, that is. First day ticket sales appear to have been very slow.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2075
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home