Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - The Rascals
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 12, 2013 15:10

Date: October 12, 2013 15:11

An announcement is expected soon that the Rascals will return to Broadway with their "Once Upon a Dream" show for a three-week run beginning Dec. 16. Before they do shows at the Marriott Marquis Theater, however, the four original members will be finishing up their first North American tour since 1970 with shows Oct. 10 at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles and Oct. 12 at the Warfield Theater in San Francisco plus stops in Phoenix,Chicago and Detroit before heading back east for more shows.

"Once Upona Dream" will play the Orpheum Theatre in Phoenix (Oct. 14, 16, 18, 19), Cadillace Palace in Chicago (Nov. 5, 6, 8-10) Fox Theater in Detroit (Nov. 15); Auditorium Theater in Rochester, N.Y. (Nov. 20); Shea’s Performing Arts Center in Buffalo, N.Y. (Nov. 22); the Landmark Theatre in Syracuse, N.Y. Nov. 23); the Palace Theatre in Albany, N.Y. (Nov. 24); and the Borgata Event Center in Atlantic City, N.J. ( Nov. 29).

A hybrid of a concert and a multi-media theatrical experience that chronicles the band's experiences in the 1960s, "Once Upon a Dream," includes the performance of 28 songs, newly shot and vintage film, a light show and dialogue. Steven Van Zandt and Marc Brickman wrote, directed and designed the production, which is looking to go overseas next year.

Van Zandt and his wife, Maureen, got the Rascals to initially reunite in 2010 to perform at the Kristen Ann Carr Fund benefit. Van Zandt, who has worked with the band members individually, inducted them into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and championed the band on his radio show, says he has been asked to get them back onstage since 1982. The Rascals had 13 top 40 records between 1965 and '69 and started to break up in 1970; they fully disbanded in 1972.

Van Zandt and the band members all say money was not enough for them and that the oldies circuit held no appeal. The historical show, Van Zandt says "gave them an artistic reason to reunite. They are so protective about their work and, in their own way, they broke up to protect the integrity of what the Rascals were."

CLASSIC RASCALS

Keyboardist Felix Cavaliere, singer Eddie Brigati and guitarist Gene Cornish came out of Joey Dee and the Starlighters ("Peppermint Twist") and with drummer Dino Danelli created the band in New York in 1965. Sid Bernstein, who had promoted the Beatles' U.S. concerts, went into management with the band, getting them signed with Atlantic Records. Individually, the band members had blues, jazz, doo-wop and country music in their backgrounds, but collectively they came to define blue-eyed soul through covers of "Mustang Sally" and "In the Midnight Hour" and originals "How Can I Be Sure" and "A Beautiful Morning." In a series of separate interviews with Billboard, the members of the Rascals told the story of their career and what went into the creation of the show.

"I wanted to really reveal their musical depth," Van Zandt tells Billboard. "The reason I feel so strongly about this group is they should be talked about on the same musical level as the Beatles and Stones and the Byrds -- the greatest of the greatest. They weren't just a singles band so half the songs (in the show) are familiar hits and half really aren't. That's totally intentional -- it gives the whole thing a freshness that I wanted to communicate."

What was Steve's approach that made this seem viable and what sold you on his vision?
Brigati: (Van Zandt) knows every note. He had vision. Basically the key word for Steven is management. He was the umpire, the manager. He had the intelligence, thewill, the expertise and he did more in three years, in my opinion, that most professionals did in the last 40. He gave me an ultimatum -- please stop smoking and begin voice lessons – and I did it for three years. It made a difference. I was given confidence and trust.

Cavaliere: He has created a new idea, a multimedia event with a script. If we had justgone out there like a (reunited) band, we surely couldn't have done Broadway. I was impressed with how we did there and I became a believer.

Danelli: At the beginning I had no idea how it would be received. Could fans sit through this? At (the premiere performance) in Port Chester, (N.Y.) people were stunned. It was great for us to see that because we had never seen an audience like that.

From the band's perspective, what's the part of the story that would not be told if you just played the hits and few obscurities?
Cornish: Telling the story from before we met, through when we signed, how we got involved in Civil Rights, living our political beliefs by demanding there was a black act on every bill. There's our departure from each other and not just accepting money to get back together, but looking for a higher cause to get back together.

Brigati: It emphasizes the cooperation.

Let's step back to your early days. When you were still known as the Young Rascals, you did a lot of covers. How did you decide what songs to record?
Cornish: "I had a knack to for figuring out which labels had black bands and would go to record stores and look for anything that sounded funky. I liked the Olympics -- they had a hit with 'Western Movies' – so I bought some records and one of them was 'Good Lovin'.' We all liked it. We would also take Beatles songs and slow them down to make them soul songs and we were probably the only male band that did Supremes songs. When we got signed to Atlantic Records, we would see the reaction to a song (and decide whether to keep it). We recorded about a quarter of our repertoire and (Atlantic executives) picked what they wanted. We weren't sure.

Cavaliere: One reason we chose these songs was that R&B acts were not getting their fair share of airplay. We felt that these songs were up for grabs. Unfair as it was, it benefited the Rascals, like the Animals and the Beatles and the Stones. But we could pull off those songs well.

When did you feel it was time to make the transition to writing your own material?
Brigati: It wasn't originals vs. covers. It was what's the best song.

Cornish: I was relegated to the George Harrison spot – two songs and shut up. I was lucky to get my two songs in and I believe I developed as we went along. Mysongs are very personal - I left the political to Felix and Eddie.

The shorthand is, of course, blue-eyed soul, but it is not as if you were a white band trying toplay R&B.
Danelli: Geno came from rockabilly, Eddie with his doo-wop, Felix with rock 'n' roll and jazz. Everybody had something different. (Prior to joining the band) I was in New Orleans and I loved that it was a school of music. In the early '60s, I picked up all my R&B chops and brought them back to the Metropole in New York where I heard all the great jazz bands. All those (musical) colors influenced the Rascals.

In retrospect, it seems like people today do not understand how rushed the pop music world was rushed in the 19609s, like there was no tomorrow for most bands.
Cornish: We recorded 108 songs over a five-year period. Eight albums, 17 hit records and the record company considered us lazy. We had the pressure of putting put a hit record every three or four months. We had the help of (producers) Arif Mardin and Tom Dowd, but (Atlantic) allowed us to produce ourselves.

Eddie, you were the first to leave, in 1970. What happened?
Brigati: Basically I was stuck in the business end of it. Fortunately, we never stopped creating art, but my energy and time and youth was spent in trying to survive the business end of it. We were kids. Separated, divided and eventually conquered. Our demise was in the mishandling of us. I guess it had to come back to fruition. Half oof the time during the show, I'm looking up at the screen and thinking, 'wow did that happen?'

How did you decide what would be best to perform in the show?
Cornish: It was a long process, lot of rehearsals going over stuff we have never played live. We've gotten to the point (technologically) where we could represent these songs the way they were recorded, songs like 'It's Love,' 'Find Somebody to Love,' 'Away Away.' We had to listen to the records to relearn to them

Cavaliere: The producer of the show and Steve are a lot like Paul Schaffer -- they don't like to deviate from the original records. He put a list together and it worked from the first day so we kept it. We may have a meeting or two to moves some things around, change some endings or add some songs. 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' seems to be the rule around here.

What was on that list of songs?
Van Zandt: My favorites like 'See,' their last important record for me and not a hit but something I play it all the time. Things like 'It's Love' and 'Baby Let's Wait,' probably most obvious (record) that should have been a hit. The most important song is the first single, 'Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore,' the song that made me a fan. We have the three No. 1 hits – 'Good Lovin', 'Grooving' and 'People Got to be Free.'

What surprised you about the reaction to the show?
Cavaliere: I was surprised to hear how many people were interested in hearing these stories. That and the album tracks that didn't make it onto radio, but the audience appreciates them because they were album buyers. There's nothing that a musician wants more than acceptance and you see that joy that's out there – it kinda gets to you. It's just like the beginning (of the band), you forget about the nonsense. There's a mutual respect for each other now.

Cornish: I guess it's about being transported back to the '60s for two hours so it's not just about the music or the group. It becomes about living in a time of optimism and hope and people are getting that. I believe we are all living in a depression and denial and this is show is an antidote to that. I didn't expect that. It is consistently a celebration of the joys of life.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 12, 2013 20:09

God bless Steve Van Zandt for making this happen. I saw their show at the Greek the other night, and it was fantastic.

I've loved these guys since the 60's, and while I've seen Felix twice before (and even shook his hand after a gig! ) this show was really a dream come true.

Their music has always been a "celebration of the joys of life." The opening of "A Girl Like You" when Felix sings, "I don't know what it's all about..." just captures a feeling that I can't even explain, and the gospel-flavored piano intro of "I've Been Lonely Too Long" is one of the most soulful sounds ever captured on tape.

If this show comes to your town, SEE IT!

Date: October 12, 2013 20:26

Can't wait to "See" them next month in Detroit!

Date: October 14, 2013 05:24

Date: October 14, 2013 15:39

GREAT article. Thank you.

Date: November 14, 2013 16:24

Performing yesterday on The View. Eddie's actually been talking on his facebook page about wanting to write with Felix again. Anyone here catch them in Chicago? I'm seeing them tomorrow in Detroit. Very, very psyched.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-14 16:26 by tatters.

Date: November 14, 2013 21:13

Didn't know they were on The View. Thanks for that.

They sound great. After all these years..."It's Wonderful" to hear them together again...they just keep getting better and better. Gene's guitar was coming through real sweet, Dino was delivering, Eddie was happening, and the vocal by Felix was just plain fantastic. Even the keyboard horns sounded fine.

Hats off to the director of The View. Excellent coverage and cutting of this performance. He was right on it, and put the cameras where they needed to be. I don't know if it's just me, but this audience really seems to be into it. It didn't feel like a fake/prompted crowd reaction.

The show I saw at the Greek show had the same response during this song. People were singing along. What a great positive vibe. It was similar to a month earlier when the Monkees played Long Beach. The crowd sang along to "For Pete's Sake" the song that ran over the end credits. When it came to, "We were born to love one another..." it was a such a happy moment, and it just felt so incredibly good to be there.

The Rascals aren't just nostalgia. Their music is timeless.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 15, 2013 00:04

loog droog
God bless Steve Van Zandt for making this happen. I saw their show at the Greek the other night, and it was fantastic.

I've loved these guys since the 60's, and while I've seen Felix twice before (and even shook his hand after a gig! ) this show was really a dream come true.

Their music has always been a "celebration of the joys of life." The opening of "A Girl Like You" when Felix sings, "I don't know what it's all about..." just captures a feeling that I can't even explain, and the gospel-flavored piano intro of "I've Been Lonely Too Long" is one of the most soulful sounds ever captured on tape.

If this show comes to your town, SEE IT!

'just captures a feeling that I can't even explain..'

I feel that way about so many of their songs...
those harmonies in 'It's a Beautiful Morning', 'Groovin' and others....
Their Greatest Hits package was one of the first 'grownup' albums I ever bought.
What about this one:

Date: November 15, 2013 02:09

stupidguy2

What about this one:

I like that one a lot. Written in the wake of the MLK and RFK assassinations, but still filled with irrepressible Rascals optimism. Vocal sounds a little like Smokey.

Date: November 15, 2013 19:28

Susan Whitall's piece, from this week's Detroit News. If the name seems familiar, it's probably because she used to write for Creem.

After a long absence, the Rascals are back - with a touch of Broadway

Susan Whitall
Detroit News Music Writer

A friend was trying to explain what the 1960s felt like, to a younger person. “Listen to the Rascals song ‘Groovin’,’ ” he advised. “That’s it.” The song, with its soulful, sunny optimism, exudes the carefree feeling that persisted despite war, assassinations and turmoil.

The Rascals, propelled by Felix Cavaliere’s Hammond B3 organ and the soulful voices of Cavaliere and Eddie Brigati, had racked up a number of hits in the mid- to late ’60s, including “Good Lovin’ ” (1966), “I’ve Been Lonely Too Long” (1966), “Groovin’ ” (1967), “How Can I Be Sure” (1967), “A Girl Like You” (1967), “A Beautiful Morning” (1968) and “People Got to be Free” (1968).

Just as suddenly, things got ugly. Brigati left the group in 1970, and they broke up in 1972. The Rascals were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997, but they never reunited — until now.

The story of how the group came together 40 years later to perform and heal their frayed relationship is the stuff of opera — or Broadway, as it turned out, as “Once Upon a Dream Starring the Rascals” plays Detroit’s Fox Theatre Friday after a run last February on the Great White Way.

The show was written, produced and directed by super fan Steven Van Zandt, Bruce Springsteen Band guitarist, actor and now rock and roll psychologist and fixer.

Van Zandt didn’t just reunite the heroes of his youth, he constructed a show around them that is part “Jersey Boys,” part dance party. The reunited Rascals perform 28 songs throughout the show, interspersed with video re-enactments of their rise and fall, with actors playing their younger selves.

“He’s a champion,” says New Jersey-born singer Brigati, 68, of Van Zandt. “He’s a fan, a mentor, a friend and my boss. He added something that was never available to us, prime, professional management.”

Most importantly: “He saw something in us that we lost sight of, or we didn’t appreciate,” Brigati says. “He said, ‘You guys might have gone dark, but the music never did.’ ”

“One of the difficulties I had with this band was their lack of trust,” says singer/keyboard player Cavaliere, 70, who grew up in New York. “They trust him and like him and respect him. He has a very tactful way of salving and soothing; he’s very good.”

Cavaliere also credits the band’s wives for keeping them on an even keel the second time around. “Most of the arguments groups have, it’s just stupid,” Cavaliere says. “The wives have been tremendously helpful. There’s a calmness and a lack of the edge that guys get sometimes. Kind of makes me wonder if a female president might work,” he says, laughing.

Van Zandt interviewed the group and put the show together from their stories — and they had stories. “He makes us sound like ‘Little Sopranos,’ ” Cavaliere says. “And the people like it. It’s got that Jersey thing.”

It may have that Jersey thing — the Rascals were a product of New York and New Jersey — but there are more than a few Detroit connections.

One of their notable cover versions — they started as a cover band — was “Mustang Sally,” written by Detroit’s Sir Mack Rice. Cavaliere says he heard Rice’s 1965 version, and the Rascals recorded it in early ’66, before Wilson Pickett did (that year). They put the song on the “B” side of “Good Lovin’.”

“Good Lovin’ ” shot to No. 1 in the charts in March 1966, taking “Mustang Sally” along for the ride. “We didn’t know back then that the B side of a 45 (record) sells the same as the A side,” says Cavaliere. “Thirty years later, this giant black dude came up to me and gave me the biggest kiss you’ve ever seen — Mack Rice — because we made him a fortune!”

The other Detroit connection concerns those infamous knickers the band used to wear. Blame Soupy Sales. According to Brigati, the band wore the rummage sale knickers to their “so-called social clubs” as a hoot when the group was playing under a different name every night: the Sardines, Them or the Rascals.

When they opened for Sales on a tour he did to promote his 1965 single “The Mouse,” the TV comic saw their knickers and flipped. “He insisted that we always wear the knickers, so from then on we were the Young Rascals,” Brigati says.

The band had no bass player; Cavaliere would multitask, using the foot pedals of his Hammond to play bass, while playing the organ with his hands and singing lead.

“In the early days that was OK, but we had to stop that over the years because of the improvement in sound,” says Cavaliere. Bass player Chuck Rainey played on their Atlantic Records sessions. “My feet could never do what Chuck would do.” (For “Once Upon a Dream” they are augmented by a bass player, so Cavaliere can concentrate on his vocals.)

The group always drew more black fans than most pop groups. “We always had the R&B stations behind us. As a result we had No. 1 records, but we needed to marry the two (audiences),” Cavaliere says.

The solution occurred to him after the R&B group Young-Holt Unlimited opened for the Rascals. After the group thanked them for the opportunity to play before a broader audience, it clicked for Cavaliere. “I said, ‘Bingo, of course! Let’s open it up, let’s have a black act on every show so their fans feel welcome. Then they’ll come to see us, and our people will go see them.’ ”

The reunion has spurred hopes of new material from the group, and Brigati says they are all writing. The healing effects of the show helped.

“There’s an apology at the end, that really gets the people,” Cavaliere says. “It’s interesting how in life things come around. It came around.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-15 19:30 by tatters.

Date: November 17, 2013 02:19

Really enjoyed the show last night. Flawlessly conceived and executed, it's difficult to imagine how it could have been done any better. They even got Ed Sullivan (1901-1974) to make the introduction.

"Let's open the show with the Young Rascals!"

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-17 06:03 by tatters.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1818
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home