Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Keith's powerful solos....and deft use of silence
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 26, 2013 10:17

DandelionPowderman
This was Keith's forte up till 89. After that he started to play too much, imo. Today he is back on the right path, although his abilities have detoriated.

It's like with age, he lost his filter...

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: May 26, 2013 11:22

Thrylan
I mentioned earlier that after picking up and watching biggest Bang, I have alot to rethink. I am realizing that after getting off after NS, alot has/hasn't happened. Keith needs to stick to mean riffs(MR), mean open G riffs he can still pull, and Chuck B two note stuff. I hate to sound all technical but he falls into the same bumnote, interior pentatonic trap every damn time. In contrast, I see Ronnie doing different things, heavier things, and a heavier sound. I think his time with Slash he picked up some new stuff. I also see him stretching to cover for Keith.
One example.......On Sway he has trouble with the slide solo, but hes playing a guitar, not neccesarily set up for slide. He ditches it to cover Keiths spottiness, does much better on the next solo and jumps right back to help Keith. A big ask.........MT is better, but all he has to do is solo. Sigh......Keith

Yeah that's a good way of putting it. Bumnotes that don't sound good yet he keeps playing them.

Ronnie is holding up the guitar playing, no doubt about that. I wonder what exactly is going on with Keith physically. There has to be something. He's way less mobile onstage, plays a lot less, and does seem to be deteriorating. When I saw him in 2006, it was after the 'coconut incident' and he was even slowed down then compared to how I had known him to be. It seemed like he didn't feel good. I also read somewhere that it was a heart attack, not brain surgery. Whatever it was, he's never been the same since. But that's age too. I'm thankful though that he's still playing.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 26, 2013 11:26

Not a solo of course, but listen to the way he plays the opening here - the timing, the pauses to allow the chord to ring...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 26, 2013 11:35

the timing, the pauses to allow the chord to ring...Yes my friend ...isn't it wonderful????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: May 26, 2013 11:45

mgshorr
"If I had more time, I'd have written a shorter letter."

It's well known that everyone here drools over Mick Taylor solos, but what about Keith's? Playing far fewer notes, and making use of silence, Keith can be very effective with his solos. (i.e. the shorter letter reference)

Put another way: Forget musical technicalities for a second and listen to his overall sound.

Keith creates a distinctive, devilish feeling that he is attacking the silence, only to let it build back up so he can beat it down again...

Instead of just droning on the whole time with note after hypnotizing note...Keith will play a few licks, wait, then strike again at just the right moment...

True he may not be as "technically gifted" as Clapton/Jon Mayer/Gary Clarke Jr. But given the right tune, Keith can damn sure rip a powerful solo.

Take a listen to the links below and let me know what you think. Keith's solos are the only ones that really hit me in the gut....

1) Champagne and Reefer Keef Solo = ~3:30 minute mark
2) Goin' Down Keef Solo = ~5:30 minute mark

Champagne and Reefer

Goin' Down

MGS

Just to add this one from 1994 which I very much like. I think that it is close to your description Keith creates a distinctive, devilish feeling that he is attacking the silence, only to let it build back up so he can beat it down again...

It's all over now 2:13 - 2:45

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 26, 2013 16:33

it's great to hear all the excuses...er, i mean excellent reasons...why he doesn't play.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 26, 2013 16:59

The Champagne and Reefer solo starts out good for him but then he loses it, ending with bum notes behind the pace.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 26, 2013 17:03

Keith's greatest moment arrived on his birthday 1981.
He reinvented Jack Flash that night...he can take the rest of his career off if he chooses...

Date: May 26, 2013 17:06

Yet he didn't. Then came the amazing inspiring She Was Hot solo...

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 26, 2013 18:07

mgshorr

It's well known that everyone here drools over Mick Taylor solos, but what about Keith's? Playing far fewer notes, and making use of silence, Keith can be very effective with his solos. (i.e. the shorter letter reference)

Put another way: Forget musical technicalities for a second and listen to his overall sound.

Keith creates a distinctive, devilish feeling that he is attacking the silence, only to let it build back up so he can beat it down again...

Instead of just droning on the whole time with note after hypnotizing note...Keith will play a few licks, wait, then strike again at just the right moment...

True he may not be as "technically gifted" as Clapton/Jon Mayer/Gary Clarke Jr. But given the right tune, Keith can damn sure rip a powerful solo.

Take a listen to the links below and let me know what you think. Keith's solos are the only ones that really hit me in the gut....

Champagne and Reefer

Goin' Down

MGS

Keith's solo on C&R was one of many highlights at O2 11/29. Sweet and simple is often the best when talking guitar solos IMO.

Date: May 26, 2013 19:14

Having just finished Still Life start to finish, Keith was fantastic in 1981...too many highlights for a list.

Under My Thumb is just great...

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 26, 2013 19:21

As Miles said: "it's the notes you don't play" that are just as important as the ones you do. The silence between each nots is what makes each note sprcial. Arthritis may limit Keith's flash, but the man still knows how to say a lot with what he does. I find his solos on this tour more compelling than I have for many years.

Dig it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-26 19:22 by Woz.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 26, 2013 19:30

jazzbass
mgshorr

Champagne and Reefer

Goin' Down

MGS

Keith's solo on C&R was one of many highlights at O2 11/29. Sweet and simple is often the best when talking guitar solos IMO.

Keith's solo on C&R - he should have stuck "silence", it was bad.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: May 26, 2013 19:32

richards best solos imo
she said yeah-decembers children
route 66 live-decembers children
bye bye johnny-more hot rocks
sympathy
gimme shelter
carol-ya yas
little queenie-ya yas
sympathy-ya yas
around and around-love you live
crazy mama-black n blue
let me go -still life
under my thumb-still life
hold on to your hat-steel wheels

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 26, 2013 20:34

I love KR solos.. Star Star is my favorite, wish they play it...

Date: May 26, 2013 20:51

Munichhilton
Having just finished Still Life start to finish, Keith was fantastic in 1981...too many highlights for a list.

still life is still a bore. with all the fab recordings from that fab tour, why listen to such a lame record? sometimes i don't know you...actually, i never do....

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: May 26, 2013 21:20

sanQ
Thrylan
I mentioned earlier that after picking up and watching biggest Bang, I have alot to rethink. I am realizing that after getting off after NS, alot has/hasn't happened. Keith needs to stick to mean riffs(MR), mean open G riffs he can still pull, and Chuck B two note stuff. I hate to sound all technical but he falls into the same bumnote, interior pentatonic trap every damn time. In contrast, I see Ronnie doing different things, heavier things, and a heavier sound. I think his time with Slash he picked up some new stuff. I also see him stretching to cover for Keith.
One example.......On Sway he has trouble with the slide solo, but hes playing a guitar, not neccesarily set up for slide. He ditches it to cover Keiths spottiness, does much better on the next solo and jumps right back to help Keith. A big ask.........MT is better, but all he has to do is solo. Sigh......Keith

Yeah that's a good way of putting it. Bumnotes that don't sound good yet he keeps playing them.

Ronnie is holding up the guitar playing, no doubt about that. I wonder what exactly is going on with Keith physically. There has to be something. He's way less mobile onstage, plays a lot less, and does seem to be deteriorating. When I saw him in 2006, it was after the 'coconut incident' and he was even slowed down then compared to how I had known him to be. It seemed like he didn't feel good. I also read somewhere that it was a heart attack, not brain surgery. Whatever it was, he's never been the same since. But that's age too. I'm thankful though that he's still playing.

I agree. We love Keith yet Ron and MT should do the heavy lifting from start to finish. The Stones would concert experience would be greatly improved.

Date: May 26, 2013 21:27

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

still life is still a bore. with all the fab recordings from that fab tour, why listen to such a lame record? sometimes i don't know you...actually, i never do....

I prefer my live recordings heavily overdubbed...I just can't handle the 'danger' of non overdubbed Stones...

Date: May 26, 2013 21:39

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

I prefer my live recordings heavily overdubbed...I just can't handle the 'danger' of non overdubbed Stones...

how do you like your Dead recordings?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 26, 2013 22:29

Basically Keith do great solos but he can't sustain them for more than 5-10 seconds. After that: Bum notes and off pace playing.

Date: May 26, 2013 22:31

Stoneage
Basically Keith do great solos but he can't sustain them for more than 5-10 seconds. After that: Bum notes and off pace playing.

they should shorten the songs to 1 minute each and nobody would be the wiser, then...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 26, 2013 22:42

Munichhilton

grinning smiley

Date: May 26, 2013 23:00

Munichhilton

Let Me Go!

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: May 26, 2013 23:31

Let's be honest Keith solos are all the same. Few typical rock licks. Today i'm affraid of him trying to play Sympathy solo. It's awful. I like Keith solo on live with me, iorr, you got me rockin. But it's not as good as it used to be. Anyway i love him.

Date: May 26, 2013 23:38

thrak
Let's be honest Keith solos are all the same. Few typical rock licks. Today i'm affraid of him trying to play Sympathy solo. It's awful. I like Keith solo on live with me, iorr, you got me rockin. But it's not as good as it used to be. Anyway i love him.

the 1972 keith is due to show up one of these days. hang in there.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: May 27, 2013 00:14

You think Keith couldn't play note for note the Sympathy solo from the album?

Of course he could, if he wanted to.

Heck, I can play it and I'm a lousy lead guitar player.

He likes to experiment and mix it up.

Sometimes great, sometimes not.

He was never a great "lead" player.

Also, you can't compare him to John Maher and the like.

He can't play leads like that but they can't write and play Monkey Man like him.

There's plenty of lead players i.e., Mayer, SRV, Kenny Wayne Shepherd that are great but sound very much alike.

Nobody sounds like Keith but Keith.

A true original and a guitarist who casts a very long shadow.

Date: May 27, 2013 00:31

beachbreak

There's plenty of lead players i.e., Mayer, SRV, Kenny Wayne Shepherd that are great but sound very much alike.

You named two guys who have made a living copying SRV...they can't be lumped together...NOBODY sounded like SRV before SRV...shame on you

Date: May 27, 2013 00:32

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

how do you like your Dead recordings?

I prefer Dead recordings really super quiet...like really really super quiet...like off...

Date: May 27, 2013 00:33

Munichhilton
beachbreak

You named two guys who have made a living copying SRV...they can't be lumped together...NOBODY sounded like SRV before SRV...shame on you

albert king sounded like srv before srv. he was trying to cash in on the pre-srv craze....

Date: May 27, 2013 00:36

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
beachbreak

albert king sounded like srv before srv. he was trying to cash in on the pre-srv craze....

Simplified mathematics...If AK sounded like SRV before SRV then SRV wouldn't have dumbed it down to play alongside AK...I need some H2O now...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2331
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home