Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: The Greatest Mick Taylor Solos
Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: May 26, 2013 08:43

stewedandkeefed
Gimme Shelter Philadelphia 1972
Dead Flowers Leeds 1971
Angie early Brussels 1973
Love In Vain New York 1972 the 26th
Dancing With Mr. D early Brussels 1973
Oh Virginia John Phillips 1977 with Mick and Keith

Thanks for posting! I have heard some of these and I agree, particularly with Dead Flowers at Leeds, that is an excellent solo. I haven't heard Oh Virginia yet...thanks for reminding me. I want to hear that stuff as I haven't yet.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: May 26, 2013 08:47

kleermaker
Some nice ones from my side:

[www.youtube.com]

from 5:14 until the end:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

So many great live solos more.

Wow!! That solo is out of this world one of his best, some of the notes he hit make me shake my head, just fantastic!!! Thanks for giving these man!!

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 26, 2013 09:14

Always dug Sway. Not a "blues", has some atmosphere, but doesnt go into TWFN land either. It plays nicely within a certain level of confinement.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 26, 2013 09:38

stupidguy2
This:
If you ever had to prove the Rolling Stones were the greatest rock and roll band in the world in their prime....this is your best argument.

Wow.

And this.

They were hot.

Keith was like a razor.. MT just brilliant.

They deserved the title GRNRBITW at the time.

Date: May 26, 2013 10:13

MT is unbelievable here.

Pete Townshend volume stutters and all.

Jeeze... firey.

Keith is a rock as he always was back then.

Maybe the Stones never really appreciated what they had.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: May 26, 2013 12:08

Sway (studio)
Love in Vein ('69 and '72)
Winter (studio)
Shine a light (studio)

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 26, 2013 12:43

sanQ
In no order, these are my picks, off the top of my head and ones I always go back to and have loved so much I just had to learn them and listen to them over and over again!

Sympathy For The Devil - Get Yer Ya Yas Out (I also love Keith's solo)
Midnight Rambler - Get Yer Ya Yas Out
I Could Have Stood You Up - Keith Richards' 1st solo album Talk Is Cheap
[www.youtube.com]
Dead Flowers - live version from Ladies And Gentlemen The Rolling Stones
Love In Vain - Hyde Park 1969
No Expectations - Hyde Park 1969

Special thanks to all the Mick Taylor appreciators who understand!

If you think these are the best Taylor solo's than you haven't heard Taylor solo's.

Mathijs

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 26, 2013 12:52

Just to mention one...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 26, 2013 13:10

If you think these are the best Taylor solo's than you haven't heard Taylor solo's.

It appears the idea is more about creating more and more Taylor threads than it is about anything... and it seems that the Taylordorks wont stop creating these Taylor threads until the entire front page, and probably page 2 too, is nothing but Taylor threads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-26 13:32 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 26, 2013 14:16

One out many - Keith and Ronnie can't play like this

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 26, 2013 14:32

mtaylor
Keith can't play like this

Thank @#$%& he didn't or The Rolling Stones would have sounded like many other bands. It is a positive thing that Keith had a more rhythm and blues, Chuck Berry playing style.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: May 26, 2013 14:39

sanQ
stewedandkeefed
Gimme Shelter Philadelphia 1972
Dead Flowers Leeds 1971
Angie early Brussels 1973
Love In Vain New York 1972 the 26th
Dancing With Mr. D early Brussels 1973
Oh Virginia John Phillips 1977 with Mick and Keith

Thanks for posting! I have heard some of these and I agree, particularly with Dead Flowers at Leeds, that is an excellent solo. I haven't heard Oh Virginia yet...thanks for reminding me. I want to hear that stuff as I haven't yet.

In Barbara Charone's book about Keith she says something about Mick Taylor playing solos at those sessions that could rip your head off. On Oh Virginia, a countryish ballad. Keith and Spedding on acoustics. Mick Jagger singing backup, When Mick Taylor comes in it will rip your head off. Loud in the mix and stunning in its effect.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 26, 2013 14:46

His Majesty
mtaylor

Thank @#$%& he didn't or The Rolling Stones would have sounded like many other bands. It is a positive thing that Keith had a more rhythm and blues, Chuck Berry playing style.

Since 89, Stones have sounded just like any other band, a polished Las Vegas show band - no big surprise, no certain specialies, nothing. Tje "biggest thing" is Mick running back and forth on the stage instead of focusing on singing and Ronnie and Keith waving with their arms and posing. No wonder Bill said good-bye.

Go and listen to some real blues players, they are not "any other band", they have their own style. Listen to Buddy Guy, his sound is not just another band.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 26, 2013 14:50

Mathijs
sanQ
In no order, these are my picks, off the top of my head and ones I always go back to and have loved so much I just had to learn them and listen to them over and over again!

[www.youtube.com]

Mathijs.....you sound like a very knowledgable musician/technician. I have heard a variety of live and studio MT moments.....Red House, the live Carla Olsen stuff and many others. The older Stones boot world is beginning to open up for me, so I have yet to hear the ultra-obscure. All this being said, I am interrested in your opinion of the studio Sway? I posted my feelings on it earlier. I like it very much....thoughts?

Mathijs

Date: May 26, 2013 15:08

mtaylor
His Majesty
mtaylor

Since 89, Stones have sounded just like any other band, a polished Las Vegas show band - no big surprise, no certain specialies, nothing. Tje "biggest thing" is Mick running back and forth on the stage instead of focusing on singing and Ronnie and Keith waving with their arms and posing. No wonder Bill said good-bye.

Go and listen to some real blues players, they are not "any other band", they have their own style. Listen to Buddy Guy, his sound is not just another band.

I'm on about The Rolling Stones, not the masquerade that followed.

Taylor himself can't play like that anymore.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: May 26, 2013 15:51

Mick Taylor and Keith in their prime! What other guitar duo could top them? I can't think of any! Taylors solo on cyhmk the other night with Keith playing those riffs underneath! Took me back in time for for a minute! It was the two of them together that did it for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-26 15:58 by ohcarol.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 26, 2013 15:57

best:
Gimme Shelter London 1973
LIV - love the version from the L&G movie (fort worth?), YaYas (Baltimore)
Rambler - brussels #2
Sympathy - YaYa's
Stray Cat - YaYa's
Sway - Sticky F
SFM - YaYa's - probably his quickest finger picking work (just before the beginning of the last verse)
...and there's more

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 26, 2013 16:07

Thrylan
Mathijs
sanQ

[www.youtube.com]

Mathijs.....you sound like a very knowledgable musician/technician. I have heard a variety of live and studio MT moments.....Red House, the live Carla Olsen stuff and many others. The older Stones boot world is beginning to open up for me, so I have yet to hear the ultra-obscure. All this being said, I am interrested in your opinion of the studio Sway? I posted my feelings on it earlier. I like it very much....thoughts?

Mathijs

I'm also interested in hearing Mathijs personal list....it's easy hiding behind your own opinions and bashing others.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 26, 2013 18:46

Eleanor Rigby
Thrylan
Mathijs
sanQ

[www.youtube.com]

Mathijs

I'm also interested in hearing Mathijs personal list....it's easy hiding behind your own opinions and bashing others.

The problem with Mathijs is that he probably is as good as Taylor as for guitar playing technics (I believe his word), but that he's not able to bring out a proper solo (again: his own word). And I know many musicians/players tend to be rather jealous.

Date: May 26, 2013 19:09

Sheer beauty:

Date: May 26, 2013 23:04

Not a typical solo, but his playing on You Gotta Move is authentic and real. Beautiful!

Date: May 26, 2013 23:20

I don't hear any link between this continuous improvised (electric) melody, and his playing on you gotta move, which is indeed more traditional and predictable.
I prefer Taylor's freestyle here - it reminds me of Jeff Beck. Listen to "Wired".

Date: May 26, 2013 23:56

sanQ
CanYouHearTheMusic
sanQ

[www.youtube.com]

What solo on Ya Ya's' "Rambler?" There is no solo on that live version of the song. 1972 and 1973? Sure. The Ya Ya's version? Just a bunch of riffs and rhythm guitars, but no solo to speak of.

Are you serious? Are you actually deaf? From 7:47 (7 minutes and 47 seconds) into Midnight Rambler on Get Yer Ya Yas Out until 8:17 (8 minutes and 17 seconds) for a total of about 30 seconds, Mick Taylor plays one of the greatest, most tasteful solos EVER that climaxes in pure guitar bliss, nirvana, heaven, whatever you want to call it! It's an absolute genius solo that starts off a bit repetitive and ends in perfection! Pal, don't tell me it don't exist because I have listened to this song thousands of times! lol

I guess I just wouldn't call that a solo. Compared to what's done in the rest of the live, later (early 70s) Ramblers with Taylor, that's just a couple of guitar fills. Not really a solo. I'm a musician, btw, if you're gonna use some ridiculous "must not be a musician like *I* am" argument, the kind that goes on here year after year . . .

Date: May 27, 2013 00:05

CanYouHearTheMusic
that's just a couple of guitar fills.

Umm... ok... but it's a pretty damn fantastic fill.

Date: May 27, 2013 01:50

DandelionPowderman
Not a typical solo, but his playing on You Gotta Move is authentic and real. Beautiful!

Indeed it is! thumbs up

Date: May 27, 2013 05:37

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Indeed it is! thumbs up

Absolutely, I would agree 100% that it's a great fill. Just relistened to it though and I still wouldn't call that a solo. It's a few guitar fills thrown in as the tempo picks back up, i.e. it's lead guitar, but lead guitar doesn't equal solo. It's some garnishes, but yes, they're nice!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 29, 2013 12:38

Eleanor Rigby
Thrylan
Mathijs
sanQ

[www.youtube.com]

Mathijs

Heartbreaker - London, September 9, 1973
Gimme Shelter - London, September 9, 1973 and Washington, July 4, 1972
Love in Vain – Mobile, June 27, 1972
YCAGWYW – Fort Worth, June 24 2nd show, 1972.
Street Fighting Man – London, September 9, 1973
All Down the Line – New York, July 26, 1972
Midnight Rambler, Berlin, October 19, 1973
Brown Sugar and Gimme Shelter – Birmingham, September 19, 1973
Sway – Sticky Fingers
Stray Cat – Ya Ya’s
I Don’t Know The Reason Why – studio outtake.

Honorable mention: his rhythm playing and solo on Tumbling Dice, Brussels, October 17, 1973 1st show, and his stutters on JJF, New York, July 26, 1972.

Mathijs

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-30 15:57 by Mathijs.

Date: May 29, 2013 12:46

svt22
I don't hear any link between this continuous improvised (electric) melody, and his playing on you gotta move, which is indeed more traditional and predictable.
I prefer Taylor's freestyle here - it reminds me of Jeff Beck. Listen to "Wired".

I just love how he makes that blues track 50 years older with his tone smiling smiley

BTW, if you can make an old predictable tune like this shine, you've done a great take thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-29 12:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 29, 2013 14:16

Sure. I love all his Stones work. Don't you like my Taylor post?

Date: May 29, 2013 14:20

svt22
Sure. I love all his Stones work. Don't you like my Taylor post?

Spanish/Aminor?

I have the album, and it's one (two) of the best tracks on it for sure.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home