Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
NO MORE GUESTS
Posted by: EG1964 ()
Date: May 25, 2013 07:43

The last show at the Staples Center was AMAZING... it proved that the STONES.. in any form... are the greatest. MT as great as he was, still wasnt the show... it was Mick and Charlie and Keith and RONNIE.... all this crap about MT and having him play more... I love it... loved it... but I loved the boys since my first show in Philly in 81.... no, I never seen the "golden years" of 68- 72... but shit, its not like they havent been great since... really? Some Girls, Tattoo You, B2B (sorry older Stones fans, love this record), they do NOT have to create the older years, MT as good as he was, as good as it sounded, does not define TODAYS Rolling Stones...I went back to older posts,and some of the same people ( left unmentioned) who are critical of them now...LOVED the shows on the last tour... go back, and see. Boston show of Bigger Bang show...look at those posts... and see,most LOVED hearing Miss You!...Anyway, I guess I am rambling... Fact is, in any decade a Stones show is always a possible "train wreak", Keith is not Clapton, never was (expect in the studio ), a soloest, he is not the guy, he has butchered songs at times live for years..with that said, he is still an amazing weaving and rythym guitarist... the best....and Ronnie has filled MT shoes very well over the years....So,as this "little tour" goes on, and keeps getting better... as it will...Remember, so far they havent not done anything more than on the NO SECURITY tour, or B2B tour, or Some Girls Tour, or SteelWheels tour, that we havent heard before.... Yes, MT is here, yes tix cost alot, but shit...... MT is worth an extra 50 bucks at least....Point is... no more SPECIAL GUESTS... PLEASE!!! MT is enough....and like it or not... he is a guest. This tour will end for me at 48 shows... last too, in Philly... Boys love that town... if you havent seen them on this tour...sorry.... ITS THE BEST TRAIN WREAK ever!!! THE STONES...as it was, as it is, as it should be... NO MORE GUESTS... JUST MT!!

Re: NO MORE GUESTS
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 25, 2013 07:54

Seems that someone is trying to give us all some perspective here...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 25, 2013 08:57

Mick Taylor adds the fresh icing to what had become a stale cake.
I have regained my appetite now, and will indulge to the fullest.
Some may call it gluttony, but I'd like to request extra icing from this point on.
I have a sweet tooth for this 50th anniversary layer cake, and will keep eating it up until I am bursting at the seams.

Posted by: rtr ()
Date: May 25, 2013 09:09

I could do without guests too, including M.T. One of my favorite parts of live Stones shows since '78 has always been listening to Keith and Ronnie play together and off of each other. Sorry, but M.T. playing as a "featured soloist", self indulgently grandstanding and drowning them out doesn't work for me at all. I'd much rather hear Keith and Ronnie cranked up in the mix and featured. Ronnie's attitude, sound and soloing has been a key component of the sound and dynamic of the Stones for almost 40 years. One guest spot by M.T. is more than enough, (I think Gary Clark Jr. actually meshes better with the band as a guest). I'm a huge life-long fan of the Stones and to me, Taylor sounded like a hired guest soloist when they added him, and he still does.

Date: May 25, 2013 09:28

Right on Rtr...I totally agree. Dont't get me wrong... but the GROOVE is missing with MT... As for Fresh Icing... as a friend before you puts it... No, not really... If the Stones where really bold for NEW icing... they could totally rearrange the songs and play them different... but then again, we would all bitch cause they werent play the way on the record..next tour...Theaters ONLY... new arrangements.... hell, if Plant can do it......

Date: May 25, 2013 09:50

Keith and Ronnie "playing together" had been missing in action for years.
They even had to add Blondie to embellish them for crying out loud.
Ronnie's solo on CYHMK in the past was intolerable at best.
Keith could hardly hold his guitar and sing at the same time.
What's worse, during You Got The Silver last tour he didn't hold a guitar at all.

I believe Mick Taylor has elevated them all to a higher level, and for that we should be thanking him rather than dismissing him as just a "guest".
They have all stepped up their game, and I for one am very happy about the results.

Ronnie is playing better than ever.
Keith is playing better than he has in years, and he can even sing and play guitar at the same time again (see recent You Got The Silver performance).
No more strange kicking and arm waving from Keith, and not as much clowning around from Ronnie makes for a better perfoemance.

No more guests indeed...just Mick Taylor and the rest of the Stones is all that is necessary.

Date: May 25, 2013 10:09

Hairball- your on point too...but Keith always had that KICK..and ALWAYS was a poser... and Ronnie plays great too, and has for 2 tours now...CYHMK.. on the Licks tour.. Ronnie was incredible...I as many of you have, seen MT live solo, this is his best playing I have seen.... Its nice to actually have a LEAD guitar again.... they are blazing and loud....but.. the GROOVE is really yet to surface.... it will....not sure if they are comfortable all together on stage yet... getting better, but last show, I really thought Jagger was getting close to whipping out the ROSTER...lol

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 25, 2013 13:36

Missing the groove with Mick T? Have to disagree with that.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 25, 2013 15:16

Groove will come with time. Keith has ALWAYS been a poser? Not so much. I agree he should cut down the aping and concentrate on playing now, but he is an archetype for a reason. No special guests, don't wheel MT in and out like a horn player,(it becomes distracting). Start at about song number twelve, give him a 4-6 song miniset and let him liven up the warhorse territory. Perspective is good, it is the greatest trainwreck ever, and people love to watch train wrecks.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 25, 2013 15:22

i think the whole show should be devoted to guests. no taylor, no stones (except chuck). just guests guesting with chuck. best stones ever.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 25, 2013 15:34

GRNRBITW
i think the whole show should be devoted to guests. no taylor, no stones (except chuck). just guests guesting with chuck. best stones ever.

Then we wouldn't have any more $85 ticket drops and all shows would be in stadiums.

Date: May 25, 2013 15:36

GRNRBITW

Chuck hosting/playing like Paul Shaffer, or like Dick Cavett, variety show style?

Date: May 25, 2013 15:36

uhbuhgullayew
GRNRBITW

Then we wouldn't have any more $85 ticket drops and all shows would be in stadiums.

the people have spoken.

Date: May 25, 2013 15:37

Thrylan
GRNRBITW

Chuck hosting/playing like Paul Shaffer, or like Dick Cavett, variety show style?

playing like dick cavett...on the clavinet...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 25, 2013 15:38

Thrylan
GRNRBITW

this idea could gain some momentum.

can we launch a facebook campaign?

what is a facebook campaign?

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 25, 2013 15:41

GRNRBITW
Thrylan
GRNRBITW

playing like dick cavett...on the clavinet...

Doc Severinsen

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 25, 2013 15:58

alimente

Just think of the irony...a Stones fan...with perspective...

Date: May 25, 2013 16:05

Munichhilton
alimente

hey - I have perspective....oh, but i'm not a stones fan...you got me there.

Date: May 25, 2013 16:06

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
alimente

You have retrospective...it's a whole different thing...

Date: May 25, 2013 16:08

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
alimente

and retro is back, right?

Date: May 25, 2013 16:12

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
alimente

Unconfirmed....retro maybe the current nouveau

Date: May 25, 2013 16:13

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
alimente

neo-nouveau?

Date: May 25, 2013 16:24

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
alimente

neo-nouveau?

So.....retro is new......I am baff-uddled

Date: May 25, 2013 16:25

Thrylan
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
alimente

neo-nouveau?

So.....retro is new......I am baff-uddled

I think relic-ing is new...I don't know...I'm too old

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: May 25, 2013 16:47

As long as it's a 'good' guest I'm for it. And it's (usually) only one song.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 25, 2013 17:05

Hairball
What's worse, during You Got The Silver last tour he didn't hold a guitar at all.

I believe Mick Taylor has elevated them all to a higher level, and for that we should be thanking him rather than dismissing him as just a "guest".
They have all stepped up their game, and I for one am very happy about the results.

Keith is playing better than he has in years, and he can even sing and play guitar at the same time again (see recent You Got The Silver performance).
No more strange kicking and arm waving from Keith, and not as much clowning around from Ronnie makes for a better perfoemance.

No more guests indeed...just Mick Taylor and the rest of the Stones is all that is necessary.

What The Stones need is to have Mick Taylor up there for all or most of the show but 80% of the time Mick Taylor should be standing in back by Chuck or Charlie and tastefully augmenting the sound. Not noodling. Then Mick steps forward for a say 7 solos a night. They could be short ones and long ones. 20 seconds solo in SFM and JackFlash would be nice. Then a few long ones in the obvious Mick Taylor tunes such as Sway, CYHMK

Posted by: barbequebob ()
Date: May 25, 2013 17:11

YES, a thousand times YES.

In so many ways the "guests" detract from the songs.

Give us pure, 120%, Mick Taylor-enhanced Rolling Stones.

Date: May 25, 2013 17:13

triceratops
Hairball

What The Stones need is to have Mick Taylor up there for all or most of the show but 80% of the time Mick Taylor should be standing in back by Chuck or Charlie and tastefully augmenting the sound. Not noodling. Then Mick steps forward for a say 7 solos a night. They could be short ones and long ones. 20 seconds solo in SFM and JackFlash would be nice. Then a few long ones in the obvious Mick Taylor tunes such as Sway, CYHMK

Mick Taylor & His Rolling Stones?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 25, 2013 20:06

Not that my opinion means anything but here goes....I don't consider MT (or Bill Wyman for that matter) as a "special guest". Once a Stone,always a Stone to me! As for the others, the ONLY guests I feel warrant an appearance are "peers" (so to speak) like Jeff Beck,old blues cats, Eric Clapton(although his spots are pretty tired and since Cream he is extremely overrated). The rest of them are just there to let you know Jagger is "hip" and knows where its at! harhar....

Date: May 25, 2013 20:20

scottkeef
Not that my opinion means anything but here goes....I don't consider MT (or Bill Wyman for that matter) as a "special guest". Once a Stone,always a Stone to me! As for the others, the ONLY guests I feel warrant an appearance are "peers" (so to speak) like Jeff Beck,old blues cats, Eric Clapton(although his spots are pretty tired and since Cream he is extremely overrated). The rest of them are just there to let you know Jagger is "hip" and knows where its at! harhar....

Since I agree you, your opinion does matter!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1632
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home