Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Buddy Guy
Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 24, 2013 16:50

stonesrule
Buddy Guy was an absolutely hellacious stage presence back in the day.
I saw him many times openng for the Stones. And it was made clear to me that Muddy was Buddy's main man.

Last saw him ten years ago and he was disappointing. A booze problem, I was told.
I was happy to see him at the Beacon with the Stones sounding just fine!

I never saw Howlin' Wolf but Muddy was as impressive as it gets...very much The Man on stage.

yep - although toward the end he had lost some of his mannish boy ways on the stage...did get to see him once while still the man, though. cherished memory.

Posted by: mcgeez8 ()
Date: May 24, 2013 16:57

Can't tell if Come On is serious or not. Anyways since Buddy is chicago, I view him as the epitomy of the blues and one of the last of a breed. He has headlined Chicago bluesfest countless times and is an ambassador for the blues and chicago worldwide. I say buddy is best in a club or theater setting, but saw him sit in with Clapton at the United Center 2 or 3 years back and still added to the show. No doubt he will be a crowd pleaser if he sits in with the stones next week.

Date: May 24, 2013 17:07

they should also get george thorogood to join them on stage

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 24, 2013 17:10

Stoneage
I wonder if the blues is the black man's music anymore though. They seem to have moved on. Maybe hip-hop is the black man's blues today? The blues is a museal art form now.
Mainly aimed at the white post midlife middle class. Who probably wouldn't recognize a cotton farm if they saw one.

I went to highschool with an enormous number of black kids in the newly desegregated U.S. of the seventies. I'm 56 now. By and large their reaction to 'the blues' was, "Man, I HATE that sh-t." It was their parents and grandparents music much like Country or Ferrante & Tiecher to the white kids.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 24, 2013 20:53

Rockman
I know I've mentioned this before, saw Buddy Guy last summer and he still plays and sounds great.

I love it when you mention things ....

Gee whiz, thanks Rockee...don't mention it.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 24, 2013 21:41

R
Stoneage
I wonder if the blues is the black man's music anymore though. They seem to have moved on. Maybe hip-hop is the black man's blues today? The blues is a museal art form now.
Mainly aimed at the white post midlife middle class. Who probably wouldn't recognize a cotton farm if they saw one.

I went to highschool with an enormous number of black kids in the newly desegregated U.S. of the seventies. I'm 56 now. By and large their reaction to 'the blues' was, "Man, I HATE that sh-t." It was their parents and grandparents music much like Country or Ferrante & Tiecher to the white kids.

Correct... Almost regardless of race, Blues was "old time" music long before the 70's. It took a bunch of white kids from England (and some from the rest of the world as well) to expose it to a new generation of listeners in the 60's & 70's.

As for now? I don't know that I would say that ANY music belongs to a certain race or generation. Marketing executives, media members and wannabe historian/critics may do that but I'd like to think that musicians and audiences only care if they like the music or not. Having played in blues bands at many diverse events over the past decade & a half, I can tell you from experience that the blues is alive and well in the southeastern USA regardless of age, color or creed. If I'm not mistaken, KR describes the blues as "marrow music" meaning that it's inside of all of us. Based on what I've seen from both sides of the stage, he's right.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 24, 2013 22:42

R
Stoneage

yup blacks pretty much ignore blues now. i work with a number of black people close to or over 50 and most of them have no clue who buddy guy, muddy waters, howlin wolf or robert johnson are. hell out of 7 only 2 knew who BB king was

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2699
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home