Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"New" guitar player breathes new life into the Stones in...2013
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 22, 2013 11:05

...well it happened before according to Bill Wyman who said interview(s) back in the 70s (or 80s ? maybe someone can pinpoint that interview, Google couldn't find it for me) that Ronnie Wood joining the Stones had breathed new life into the band with his "camaraderie" and I think he even went on to say that they might have broken up if not for that.

Fast forward 38 years...and the guitar player that Ronnie replaced in 1975 is arguably breathing new life in the band too! It was pretty obvious at the O2/25th when Taylor came out of the blue (literally) on MR that something special was going on and only a small part was nostalgia. In 2013, MR has reached new heights (listening to Dan's Anaheim/18th recording as I type this) and of course the interaction on CYHMK in LA on the 20th was fantastic.

Hard to say where it will go from here, but with Mick Taylor's virtuosity and Ronnie's camaraderie both on board, the Glimmer Twins might be encouraged to enter the studio with renewed ambitions...the possibility of recording a latter day classic, something they'd probably given up a long time ago.

Well even if that doesn't happen, what we've gotten as fans since the fall of 2012 has been tremendous, not in the least because it was totally unexpected!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-23 15:37 by gotdablouse.

Re: New guitar player breathes new life into the Stones...
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 22, 2013 13:04

Last time I checked, band was quite alive - and (even) kicking... albeit in their 'latter days', clearly (a fact that obviously can't nor won't change).

So I find this 'new guitarist! / new life!' stuff a bit over the top, if I may say so.

Same goes for all the enthusiasm over Taylor's guitar playing these days; ànd all the hoopla about this CYHMK-video.
Adequate version - nothing more, nothing less, imo.
I simply adore that song, both studio ànd live, but for me, history was made when they played it (& I heard them play it) live in 2003 (Ronnie did a GREAT job there) - for that is real history...
The thrills, these days, about Taylor playing it live are emotional (or, dare I say it, even sentimental...!!?).
And we should all be weary about letting emotions to (re-)write history. (that never makes for a good story!)

Date: May 22, 2013 13:17

"new guitar player" was of course a tongue in cheek comment but that's (almost) what it feels like.

As for the Licks version of CYHMK, well it was decent, but something was obviously missing, we knew what it was, and on the 20th it was quite obvious and there was nothing "sentimental", it was simply mind blowing. Don't get me wrong, I think Ronnie is competent guitar player who did his best on CYHMK and it was ok, but he's simply not in the same league as Taylor who can take things where few others can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-22 16:32 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 22, 2013 13:18

Really, especially now, Taylor is no virtuoso!

Date: May 22, 2013 13:24

His Majesty

grinning smiley Get ready for counter-attacks, Philip grinning smiley

Date: May 22, 2013 13:28

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: May 23, 2013 01:56

These are the last tour dates ever. No new album with Taylor. No Taylor playing on half the songs. No 10-minute 'Sway.' No European or World Tour. It's over, guys. OH-VER.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 23, 2013 02:05

The Lick's version was an embarrassment for Ronnie, sad to say the solo was worse than terrible. There is no comparison to what was played on Monday. When it comes to solos in a minor key they don't even play the same instrument.

Posted by: somegirl26 ()
Date: May 23, 2013 02:26

To Zantimisfit:

MT played four songs on this past Monday night in LA. CYHMK and Sway, along with MR and Satisfaction. Never say never.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-23 02:28 by somegirl26.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 23, 2013 02:31

I wonder if all the guitar experts posting have ever played in a band whose name we'd recognize.

Anyone who has reason to believe he is the equal of Richards, Wood and Taylor?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 23, 2013 02:43

stonesrule
I wonder if all the guitar experts posting have ever played in a band whose name we'd recognize.

Certainly not me.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 23, 2013 03:02

71Tele
stonesrule

Certainly not me.
or me

Date: May 23, 2013 06:26

ZantiMisfit
These are the last tour dates ever. No new album with Taylor. No Taylor playing on half the songs. No 10-minute 'Sway.' No European or World Tour. It's over, guys. OH-VER.

It will be over unless you guys start voting yes to a new album!

Date: May 23, 2013 06:34

stonesrule

I would wager to say that half of them have never even picked up a guitar. And so what, even if they could play better than the three mentioned what do they have to show for it? Musicians are a dime a dozen. They all think they can outplay the other. But if you can't write and have no idea how to promote yourself then you go nowhere. Except maybe to a forum like this to critique those that have figured out a way to make their talent pay off for them.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 23, 2013 07:30

DoomandGloom
71Tele
stonesrule

Certainly not me.
or me

I'd cut heads with Mick..........Jagger, not the real guitar men.

Date: May 23, 2013 12:58

stonesrule

One does not need to be in a band whose name you recognise for one to recognise when someone is or isn't a virtuoso on an instrument.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-23 14:06 by His Majesty.

Date: May 23, 2013 13:29

stonesrule

Cheer up smiling smiley

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: May 23, 2013 13:44

JumpinJackOLantern
ZantiMisfit

It will be over unless you guys start voting yes to a new album!

Is there an official vote? And if there aren't enough votes will it be time for the Sons of The Beatles.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 23, 2013 13:54

stonesrule

The two bands I play with are extremely well known in the area. No matter how hard we try to keep a gig secret, they always find a way to evacuate the neighborhood before ...

C

p.s. Richards, Wood, Taylor who?

Date: May 23, 2013 13:56

grinning smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 23, 2013 14:16

DandelionPowderman
grinning smiley

I blame our promo man!

C

Date: May 23, 2013 15:11

JumpinJackOLantern
stonesrule

I would wager to say that half of them have never even picked up a guitar. And so what, even if they could play better than the three mentioned what do they have to show for it? Musicians are a dime a dozen. They all think they can outplay the other. But if you can't write and have no idea how to promote yourself then you go nowhere. Except maybe to a forum like this to critique those that have figured out a way to make their talent pay off for them.

Yes, technique is one aspect, probably not the most important...Having watched CYHMK again and finding myself smiling and tapping and moving each time, I wonder why that is, the historic aspect? Dunno...that it's too good to be true? Dunno...it's just good stuff, fabulous chemistry that they don't have when they're not playing together.

Obviously Mick Taylor's solo carreer has been a failure, most likely because he was just bored and directionless after these wonder years, and of course it's hard not to diss his claims at the lack of credits when he's maybe written one memorable song in nearly 40 years and it's never even been officially released! But how would Keith have fared on his own had he left in December 1974? Mick Jagger would obviously have had more of a shot but where would he be now without the Stones? Yeah they fight and argue and probably hate each other at times but they also know they're getting it "straight" from a "peer", not just getting the answer they want to hear from someone from their entourage who're going to be a "yes" men at one point or another and who wouldn't when facing Mick Jagger or Keith Richards. That's probably what Macca misses the most since 1970/1980...sure some people have stood up to him while working on songs, Costello, Goodrich but you can tell from interviews that it didn't really work because he didn't consider them as peers.

More than the money and ego-tripping, it's probably that chemistry that keeps them going (Keith at least often refers to "them" when talking about the Stones, not "us" ) and the "return" of the guitar player who was around when they ruled can only pump them up even more. Barring any accidents, I think they'll at least see if this can go somewhere in the studio, but there is little doubt it would considering how the very modest PMS effort panned out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-23 15:36 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 23, 2013 15:31

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

This is exactly what taylorianism is all about: Taylor is no virtuoso, he's a great musician.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: May 23, 2013 15:32

Taylor plays his best with Stones, and the Stones play their best with Taylor. In rock n roll chemistry is the most important thing. Beast of Burden might be Ronnie's best Stones track with a great exsmple of the two guitar weaving it would be interesting to have Taylor play some of those post 76 tunes. Chemistry - Taylor's sound melts beautifully with the horns too - he is just a great lead player and he probably helped making Keith the greatest rhythm guitarist on wheels. I love Ronnie by the way and loved his tenure in the band as well.

Date: May 23, 2013 15:45

Loudei
Taylor plays his best with Stones, and the Stones play their best with Taylor. In rock n roll chemistry is the most important thing. Beast of Burden might be Ronnie's best Stones track with a great exsmple of the two guitar weaving it would be interesting to have Taylor play some of those post 76 tunes. Chemistry - Taylor's sound melts beautifully with the horns too - he is just a great lead player and he probably helped making Keith the greatest rhythm guitarist on wheels. I love Ronnie by the way and loved his tenure in the band as well.

We only have one show to judge that by - the Kansas City show in 1981.

Of course, some songs will sound better with Taylor, some with Ronnie. Being the most accomplished one doesn't always help - Keith is a living proof of that smiling smiley

Date: May 23, 2013 15:53

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

This is exactly what taylorianism is all about: Taylor is no virtuoso, he's a great musician.

thumbs up

Re: "New" guitar player breathes new life into the Stones in...2013
Date: May 23, 2013 15:56

Ps: just about every man and his dog is as good or better at playing guitar than Ron Wood. >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-23 16:26 by His Majesty.

Date: May 23, 2013 16:02

My granny played a meaner slide than Brian smiling bouncing smiley

Date: May 23, 2013 16:21

DandelionPowderman
My granny played a meaner slide than Brian smiling bouncing smiley

Maybe so, but she didn't kick start The Rolling Stones or make defining contributions to that bands music. His slide on Little Red Rooster and No Expectations is just spot on, as good as any other slide recordings even if they sre not technically hard to play. Haven't heard anyone better them emotion or atmosphere wise. tongue sticking out smiley

Anyway, has stonesrule heard of her? grinning smiley

I have heard you play, musically you could do more for the stones in one week than Mr Wood has his entire time with them. winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 23, 2013 16:25

RoughJusticeOnYa
Last time I checked, band was quite alive - and (even) kicking... albeit in their 'latter days', clearly (a fact that obviously can't nor won't change).

So I find this 'new guitarist! / new life!' stuff a bit over the top, if I may say so.

OK, well then, go ahead and say it then.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home