Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: Guest Artist Chat: Dave Grohl a Bit Over the Top?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 20, 2013 18:21

Better to be over the top than over the hill. I guess...

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: May 20, 2013 18:26

paulm
I get the Nirvana legend, and the high energy he brings, but does anyone else find the Grohler's incessant leg stomping, head banging, interminable power chord noise too much?

Yes sir

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 20, 2013 18:31

Wasn't sure what to expect, but he provided a nice injection of fresh blood into the Stones.
Glad he was there to raise the excitement level up a few notches.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 20, 2013 18:46

Never liked the idea of guest spots in general. But if you have to have them, let the guest be himself, otherwise don't call him.

I mean, what's the use in asking Clapton or Lady Gaga or god knows who to guest if they are not allowed to do their thing?

FF are not exactly my cup of tea, but who cares: Dave Grohl seems to be a nice guy. In his autobiography Stewart Copeland former drummer of the Police has nice words for him too.

If I close my eyes, and focus on the music, I think he does a good job on the first half (which is quite square). He completely butchers the wonderful finale of Bitch with a solo that was plain awful and by missing the twists in the beat that make the studio version something else.

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-20 18:47 by liddas.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 20, 2013 18:56

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Artificial headbanging from Grohl, but he did shake them up a bit, and they did a good version, imo.

I'd cut him some slack...must be tough to insert yourself at a stones concert for 4 minutes, be relevant and not embarrass yourself.

All you gotta do is dress nice and let Jagger dry hump your leg...what's tough about that?

oh the chafing my fine Texan amigo, the chafing.

Posted by: mgshorr ()
Date: May 20, 2013 18:58

Grohl blew out my eardrum. Was sitting right off to the side of the pit and his solo literally made me lose my hearing.

Ears have been ringing since the show on Sat night. Will this go away?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 20, 2013 18:59

mgshorr
Grohl blew out my eardrum. Was sitting right off to the side of the pit and his solo literally made me lose my hearing.

Ears have been ringing since the show on Sat night. Will this go away?

The Grohl will eventually go away, but the destruction to a Stones classic remains...ointment maybe?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 20, 2013 19:06

liddas
He completely butchers the wonderful finale of Bitch with a solo that was plain awful and by missing the twists in the beat that make the studio version something else.
Pretty much every song The Stones do live sounds nothing like the studio version.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 20, 2013 19:54

liddas
Never liked the idea of guest spots in general. But if you have to have them, let the guest be himself, otherwise don't call him.

I mean, what's the use in asking Clapton or Lady Gaga or god knows who to guest if they are not allowed to do their thing?

FF are not exactly my cup of tea, but who cares: Dave Grohl seems to be a nice guy. In his autobiography Stewart Copeland former drummer of the Police has nice words for him too.

If I close my eyes, and focus on the music, I think he does a good job on the first half (which is quite square). He completely butchers the wonderful finale of Bitch with a solo that was plain awful and by missing the twists in the beat that make the studio version something else.

C

i agree, the only way to play it is to be yourself. if being himself (which he was) wasn't appropriate then the stones (mick) are to blame for inviting someone who didn't fell right. don't blame the guest, who probably got a desperate phone call late at night begging them to stop by as a favor to UMG and AEG.

i think the whole guest thing is a little bit weird outside of the blues and rnr legends who inspired them.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 20, 2013 20:27

Grohl turned the song into a muddle of thrash. He has no understanding of musical dynamics, of blending in with the musicians around you--which is why John Fogerty was such a perfect fit and Grohl came off like an overbearing teenager, just trying to steal the show with his metal-head theatrics.

A guest I would have liked to have seen would be Johnny Rotten. Now that would have been interesting for one of the LA shows, but perhaps he was on tour. Rotten (Lydon) loves side 1 of Exile, so it would have been great to hear him on Rip This Joint.

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: May 20, 2013 20:35

Too much?
In this man's books I felt no. An entire show of that energy with the Stones would be too much. But for just one song, to be on stage for 4 minutes you want to convey what you are about as a guest. In Dave's case it is energy. He did that well. If they invite a guest up to just blend in and not add anything unique to the mix it would make me question why they would bother to have a guest. Plus, Bitch is arguably the stones most 'rocking' song and I think it suited the energy Dave brought. On any other track it may have been too much, but I think it fit the parameters. Truth be told, this performance was the most interesting thing I have seen from this tour... having just seen youtube clips from home.

Date: May 20, 2013 20:42

canadian.sway
Too much?
In this man's books I felt no. An entire show of that energy with the Stones would be too much. But for just one song, to be on stage for 4 minutes you want to convey what you are about as a guest. In Dave's case it is energy. He did that well. If they invite a guest up to just blend in and not add anything unique to the mix it would make me question why they would bother to have a guest. Plus, Bitch is arguably the stones most 'rocking' song and I think it suited the energy Dave brought. On any other track it may have been too much, but I think it fit the parameters. Truth be told, this performance was the most interesting thing I have seen from this tour... having just seen youtube clips from home.

strange they didn't put him on a song more suited - like lies or respectable. bitch is a rocker but it's equal parts roll.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 20, 2013 20:42

GumbootCloggeroo
liddas
He completely butchers the wonderful finale of Bitch with a solo that was plain awful and by missing the twists in the beat that make the studio version something else.
Pretty much every song The Stones do live sounds nothing like the studio version.
Hey I hate Grohl but he did a good job here... Keith's face when DG does the descending line on the solo is priceless. Anyone who doesn't like this is looking for stuff to dislike,

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 20, 2013 20:50

David Grohl loves to play music and when he plays he gets into it without holding back. I like his performance on "Bitch" although I don't like when he bitches about the Stones.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 20, 2013 20:55

paulm
I get the Nirvana legend, and the high energy he brings, but does anyone else find the Grohler's incessant leg stomping, head banging, interminable power chord noise too much?

No.
Thanks for asking.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: May 20, 2013 22:46

stonehearted
He has no understanding of musical dynamics, of blending in with the musicians around you--
+1, at least someone hears what I'm saying about dynamics. But music appreciation is subjective and people like different things. Grohl did show that sensitivity with Nirvana, whereas his guitar persona is just an all-out, monotonous power chord, which borders on torture to my ears anyway. Mix in the leg and head and it's just obnoxious, even though he does seem to be a good guy, personally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-20 22:48 by paulm.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 20, 2013 22:53

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Artificial headbanging from Grohl, but he did shake them up a bit, and they did a good version, imo.

I'd cut him some slack...must be tough to insert yourself at a stones concert for 4 minutes, be relevant and not embarrass yourself.

Nah, Keith does that all the time.
eye popping smiley

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 20, 2013 23:27

paulm
Mix in the leg and head and it's just obnoxious,

Obnoxious rock stars.

Baskets.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 20, 2013 23:30

GravityBoy
paulm

Obnoxious rock stars.

Baskets.

Rock stars were supposed to be obnoxious to parents, society in general.

When they are obnoxious to one another, then they go from being rock stars to upstarts.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: May 20, 2013 23:42

yes!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 20, 2013 23:44

stonehearted
GravityBoy
paulm

Obnoxious rock stars.

Baskets.

Rock stars were supposed to be obnoxious to parents, society in general.

When they are obnoxious to one another, then they go from being rock stars to upstarts.

Upstart Rock stars.

Baskets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-20 23:44 by GravityBoy.

Bitch about Dave Grohl with the Rolling Stones
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: May 20, 2013 13:06

Already 4 pages to say that hell what an awesome version it was !!!
No kidding , really boys ?

The only thing that make me laugh is the way Keith look at him , that's cheap...

HMN

Re: Bitch about Dave Grohl with the Rolling Stones
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 20, 2013 13:09

Keith does see anyone under 50 with a guitar and an ability to rock as a potential threat. Remember what he barfed about G&Roses back in the late 80's?

His great fear is that after 2013 Jagger keeps on rocking on a stage... with guys half his age.

Date: May 20, 2013 13:11

dcba
His great fear is that after 2013 Jagger keeps on rocking on a stage... with guys half his age.

i don't think he fears that... jagger has tried that over and over again. hasn't worked out too well.

Date: May 20, 2013 13:15

... cos he took sidemen. Next time it'll be an all-time star cast. Keith is very much the jealous wife of the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-20 13:16 by dcba.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: May 20, 2013 13:19

dcba
Keith does see anyone under 50 with a guitar and an ability to rock as a potential threat. Remember what he barfed about G&Roses back in the late 80's?

And he was right cause GnR sucks.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 20, 2013 13:32

Honestman

To me it just shows that some energy on stage is still much appreciated by many here . .

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 20, 2013 14:15

Honestman
No kidding , really boys ?

The only thing that make me laugh is the way Keith look at him , that's cheap...

It's 5 pages now......

Date: May 20, 2013 15:43

seitan
dcba

And he was right cause GnR sucks.

he didn't pan their music he panned the way they dressed... What was next? The way they combed their hair? eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-20 15:45 by dcba.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 20, 2013 16:35

I think they should have done a Grohl mini set, IORR would have been another obvious choice, maybe She's So Cold, Have You Seen Your Mother Baby would have been another highlight.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1671
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home