Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10
Re: The Rolling Stones with Dave Grohl - Bitch
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 20, 2013 03:40

This song with Dave Grohl kicks @#$%& ass!
Danger, dirty, fast and @#$%& Rock N' @#$%& Roll.
Great choice by a great band on a great tour.

@#$%& yeah!

Bitch!

@#$%& YES!

Posted by: TMONTANA ()
Date: May 20, 2013 03:51

Kurt

@#$%& yeah!

Bitch!

@#$%& YES!
A shame they don't have Dave on every song,just have Keith backstage and wheel him out for his two songs,and then let him watch from the sidelines what a Rock and Roll band should sound like......

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 20, 2013 03:58

I dont get it with Dave Grohl. I think he sucks as a guitar and a singer. I dont find his lyrics all that spectacular either.Rather see him fall off the stage and be replaced by MT .

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 20, 2013 04:01

That's a lot of energy with Grohl playing with them. Awesome.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: May 20, 2013 04:22

Dave Grohl is fantastic

Date: May 20, 2013 05:27

I liked the song's performance, and have become a FF fan years ago. But it was..I don't know. Rubbed me a bit wrong.
DG very obviously stayed away from Keith. In the Lemmy film he said some things about Keith. Don't know if the two have straightened it out since...The first time DG steps up to mike, you see Keith inching up; like checking on his song, his baby. Then seems to retreat; not pacified, but cooled enough to keep going.
I thought DG's solo encapsulated the age difference between them. His solo was all adrenaline and nerves. (and not very good LOL) Keith doesn't play on that fuel anymore. That is neither good nor bad. It just is the way things are.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 20, 2013 06:24

I put Keith in the same position he was in Hail Hail with Chuck Berry, except it's Jagger instead of Chuck this time. Richards is not bothered with any of the guests. It's not a competition, it's whoever guest it is time to shine and I must admit they are getting it and getting bolder with each show. Keith is great, but Jagger has been unbelievable so far.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 20, 2013 07:11

Wow, that was the Rolling Stones sounding like a hot garage band for the first ime in eons! Like many have said, David Grohl injected a lot of energy into them and also brought a tremendouns amount of energy to the song himself. I also sensed complete reverence in him for the song itself. Bitch is a _real_ Rolling Stones rock song like only the Stones can do, the type of song we lament that the Stones can't seem to write any more.

To only be able to right a new rock song today that is on par with something like Bitch.

That was high energy and it ecapsulated a brief moment where you could almost imagine the clock was turned back by 40 years.

I have to confess I don't even know who David Grohl is.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 20, 2013 07:12

MileHigh

kurt cobain's drummer.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 20, 2013 07:25

sonomastone
MileHigh

kurt cobain's drummer.
Who new.....the drummer had all the talent.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 20, 2013 07:33

melillo
dave grohl talks shit about keith in the lemmy doc and then goes up there and plays with him, hypocrite!

Not a hypocrite, by any means ... Dave explained this very clearly ... back in the late 90s when Foo opened up for the Stones, Dave was very excited to meet the legends, only to find that they didn't want to meet him. Foos weren't allowed anywhere near the band, had to be in a separate section for parking, did not get to go backstage etc. He was extremely disappointed!

In contrast, Dave Grohl always meets the guys from the opening bands for Foo Fighters, hangs out w/ them before the shows, drinking/doing shots ... and in many cases becomes lifelong friends w/ them.

Anyway, I assume that when he played w/ Mick on SNL, that broke the ice w/ the band and now he has gotten to know them. He was annoyed by the Stones before, he got over it. You call it hypocrisy, I call it moving on...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 20, 2013 07:40

LeonidP
melillo
dave grohl talks shit about keith in the lemmy doc and then goes up there and plays with him, hypocrite!

Not a hypocrite, by any means ... Dave explained this very clearly ... back in the late 90s when Foo opened up for the Stones, Dave was very excited to meet the legends, only to find that they didn't want to meet him. Foos weren't allowed anywhere near the band, had to be in a separate section for parking, did not get to go backstage etc. He was extremely disappointed!

In contrast, Dave Grohl always meets the guys from the opening bands for Foo Fighters, hangs out w/ them before the shows, drinking/doing shots ... and in many cases becomes lifelong friends w/ them.

Anyway, I assume that when he played w/ Mick on SNL, that broke the ice w/ the band and now he has gotten to know them. He was annoyed by the Stones before, he got over it. You call it hypocrisy, I call it moving on...
One of the best posts of all time here on IORR. Sound logic, perfect explaination

Date: May 20, 2013 08:19

Makes sense.......I would be pissed.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 20, 2013 08:21

flacnvinyl
Green Lady, I see what you are getting at but Dave plays that way all the time. It is just who he is. I do not think he is trying to 'upstage' anyone, just that he is trying to play/perform the best he possibly can. None of us gave John Mayer a hard time for NAILING Respectable and his performance was far better than Grohl.

Dave's playing is not the impressive thing here.. It is his intensity. He hits bum notes very fast and consistent. Most of it sounds great!

Regarding Keith.. Grohl's playing did not affect Keith in a negative way. Keith is playing the same way on every song, at every show. We are seeing a slow and calculated Keith these days. I am thrilled his focusing on playing, but he simply can't do what he used to do. In 72 Keith drove the bus. Now its all slow bends/fills.. LOTS of bends... Holding one note and using it as long as possible. It saves his right hand.

I agree with a lot of what you say: yes, that's Dave Grohl's style. No, of course he didn't deliberately set out to upstage everyone, that's just the inevitable result of that style when he's a guest with a less frantically energetic band - he can't turn the intensity-level down from 11, and most people here (and Mick) liked that. I think it would have worked better on one of the punkier songs like Whip or Respectable - Bitch has a nice groove of its own and this performance just rode roughshod over it - impressive, but not in keeping with the song. Anyway, I will now stop griping and let most of the rest of you enjoy it in peace.

Date: May 20, 2013 08:25

Dave on Lies?

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 20, 2013 09:44

Big Al
I've watched the clip again just now and am wondering if Grohl got a little lost during his solo. It starts off tremendously, but then he seems to get stuck on the same few notes. He really takes the song to another level - it's been atrocious at times on recent tours - but I wonder if he lost his way a little with all the excitement?

Yeah.. but what the hell... it was exciting. Rock n roll. Does anyone remember that?

Everyone upped their game.

When was the last time you saw Mick THAT committed to a vocal.

And even Charlie was getting it.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 20, 2013 09:53

Palace Revolution 2000
I liked the song's performance, and have become a FF fan years ago. But it was..I don't know. Rubbed me a bit wrong.
DG very obviously stayed away from Keith. In the Lemmy film he said some things about Keith. Don't know if the two have straightened it out since...The first time DG steps up to mike, you see Keith inching up; like checking on his song, his baby. Then seems to retreat; not pacified, but cooled enough to keep going.
I thought DG's solo encapsulated the age difference between them. His solo was all adrenaline and nerves. (and not very good LOL) Keith doesn't play on that fuel anymore. That is neither good nor bad. It just is the way things are.

Yeah, the solo was poop, I was waiting for him to start doing something there, but then he stopped soloing. grinning smiley

The energy and drive etc makes up for it all.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 20, 2013 09:55

Strong version! I need to say that in this tour the guest spots have really worked to inspire the band (if anyone else but at laest Mick). I used to have the feeling that the guests more or less spoil the songs, and band plays more calmer than usually, but this is not the case any longer. Grohl brings attitude and energy here.

That said, there tends to be a kind of anomaly between the younger generation guitar players and these old hacks that sometimes bothers me. It is not just the age difference (and some energy issue involved in it), but I think the way the younger guns are trained as players, and learn it from books when the whole thing has been an established msuical tradition for ages is a bit different compared to the guys who were creating the genre. A kind of attitude difference. The same could be said of male rock singers as well. That's why I see people like Clapton, Fogerty, Waits sounding more "natural" with them. And of, course, Taylor is a special case, since he is naturally home at there. But for Jagger it doesn't matter - he seems to be home with anyone.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-20 11:04 by Doxa.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 20, 2013 10:03

LeonidP
melillo

Then why in the Lemmy doc is he lashing out only at Keith and not at Mick? Answer: Because Keith has always spoken dismissively of Nirvana, labeling Cobain as a "lunatic" and Nirvana's music as "crap". Besides, in that touring situation in the late 90s, surely it's Mick calling the shots just as much regarding keeping the opening acts at a distance. Also, in the Lemmy doc Grohl says that the only rock legend he cared about meeting was Little Richard. So, I say:

"F^ck Dave Grohl, f^ck all those dudes who so thrived in the nineties. Touring around with empty sets, living up their punk-rocker reputation as they guest with rock legends on the most expensive ticket in music. You know what Richards is doing? Richards is... probably drinking vodka and orange and writing another Winos record!"

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 20, 2013 10:59

stonehearted
Then why in the Lemmy doc is he lashing out only at Keith and not at Mick? Answer: Because Keith has always spoken dismissively of Nirvana, labeling Cobain as a "lunatic" and Nirvana's music as "crap". Besides, in that touring situation in the late 90s, surely it's Mick calling the shots just as much regarding keeping the opening acts at a distance.

I disagree here. I think in that context - Lemmy - Keith Richards with his pirate image was a natural pick. Jagger the jetset superstar for ages do not belong to that game in defining the "coolest", the most "down to earth", street credible rock guy in the world. I take Grohl's point to be that Lemmy beats Keith in his own game. Lemmy is the real hero for him.

Anyway, I thought the Lemmy movie was not very good. I happen to see before it an English documentary of making some Mötorhead album, and it was superb, mostly consisting of the band members talking to each other, remembering the bad old times, being very relaxed with that witty, ironic English humour. A great doc. After that the Lemmy movie was a huge disappointment, with all these American rock stars and Hollywood actors repeating the same old pretentuous cliches (yes, Grohl being a typical case). Poor Lemmy seemed like lost in the middle of that crap.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-20 11:03 by Doxa.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: May 20, 2013 11:50

TMONTANA
Kurt

@#$%& yeah!

Bitch!

@#$%& YES!
A shame they don't have Dave on every song,just have Keith backstage and wheel him out for his two songs,and then let him watch from the sidelines what a Rock and Roll band should sound like......

It's a shame that people who dont like the main songwriter - and are not real Stones fans at all - seem to come here to bash them. That's a shame.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: May 20, 2013 11:58

That's fantastic.
I'm neither a Nirvana or Foo Fighters fan but i have a lot of time for Grohl. He's not an ace guitarist or singer but the energy and enthusiasm he brings to the table
is something else. He cares passionately about music and by all accounts he's a very well rounded individual and nice guy. That alone marks him out as something special in the music industry.
I should also point out that the Sound City performance at the Hurricane Sandy benefit (Nirvana plus Paul McCartney) was beyond storming. Possibly the finest thing Macca's done this century..full on loud nasty screaming rock - and the guy propelling the whole thing along from the drums was Dave Grohl.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 20, 2013 12:00

seitan
TMONTANA
Kurt

@#$%& yeah!

Bitch!

@#$%& YES!

It's a shame that people who dont like the main songwriter - and are not real Stones fans at all - seem to come here to bash them. That's a shame.

Beware of POSTERS WITH UPPERCASE NAMES - with a few honourable exceptions they are bashers...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 20, 2013 12:03

Date: May 20, 2013 12:06

stonehearted
LeonidP
melillo

Then why in the Lemmy doc is he lashing out only at Keith and not at Mick? Answer: Because Keith has always spoken dismissively of Nirvana, labeling Cobain as a "lunatic" and Nirvana's music as "crap". Besides, in that touring situation in the late 90s, surely it's Mick calling the shots just as much regarding keeping the opening acts at a distance. Also, in the Lemmy doc Grohl says that the only rock legend he cared about meeting was Little Richard. So, I say:

"F^ck Dave Grohl, f^ck all those dudes who so thrived in the nineties. Touring around with empty sets, living up their punk-rocker reputation as they guest with rock legends on the most expensive ticket in music. You know what Richards is doing? Richards is... probably drinking vodka and orange and writing another Winos record!"

I've seen that interview where Keith calls Kurt Cobain a "lunatic" - and what's wrong with that. He was a lunatic, - Blowing your head off with a shotgun is a crazy thing to do. Keith wasnt being rude, Keith wasnt speakin dismissively about Nirvana's music - why should he answer stupid questions about a band that he had nothing to do with...Why should Keith be asked about Nirvana in the first place ? He was only being dismissive about stupid questions. He was bored with the journalist.

If you watch the video...who's the first person Dave goes to hug and shake hands with after the song..It's Keith. Not that it really matters, but I dont think there's any hatred, anger or bitterness between the two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-20 13:04 by seitan.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 20, 2013 12:30

I've never liked any of Dave Grohl's music since he stopped drumming for Nirvana. The Foo Fighters are generic hard rock, their biggest hit was a straight rip of a superior Violent Femmes song, and I didn't like them much on SNL with Mick, preferring Arcade Fire. I thought the McCartney collaboration was henious. There's nothing about the Foo Fighters the Rolling Stones need imitate, or Keith Eichards need worry avout. That said, Dave is a decent, hardworking guy who cares about the fans. It was only a matter of time before he was a guest. what's next, Tom Morello?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-20 12:33 by TeddyB1018.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 20, 2013 12:34

Beware of POSTERS WITH UPPERCASE NAMES - with a few honourable exceptions they are bashers...

Years ago I bashed a steak flat before I grilled it .....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 20, 2013 12:53

TeddyB1018
I've never liked any of Dave Grohl's music since he stopped drumming for Nirvana. The Foo Fighters are generic hard rock, their biggest hit was a straight rip of a superior Violent Femmes song, and I didn't like them much on SNL with Mick, preferring Arcade Fire. I thought the McCartney collaboration was henious. There's nothing about the Foo Fighters the Rolling Stones need imitate, or Keith Eichards need worry avout. That said, Dave is a decent, hardworking guy who cares about the fans. It was only a matter of time before he was a guest. what's next, Tom Morello?

I agree....if they have to bring special guests on stage..then I would love to see Mick sing a duet with ..Iggy Pop.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 20, 2013 13:27

melillo

Well, I didn't like that myself.I think Mick brought him in cause he played with him before. But in the end Keith has said many things as well and I don't think they take it all too serious.Im not a Grohl/FooF. fan, but it's a good rockin version and Grohl brings back some energy to the stage.I give that to him . .

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 20, 2013 13:48

Strong version, indeed. Grohl brings some more energy and some “hard rock” feeling, of course, even i’m not 100% convinced that he “serves” the song (i mean musically) the best way. On some moments it seems like Grohl’s hard play is a kind of an end in itself, without seeing to the exact song’s line. Or maybe it is just me.

In any case, i connot understand some comparisons here… Yes, with one more guitar “Bitch” does sound different. Not because Dave is a “new Hendrix”. Just because (a) he’s one more guitarist on the song’s performance and (b) as guest for just one song, he spends on this all his energy and his enthousiasm - btw he seems to be enthousiastic playing with the Stones and i really like it.

Keith plays cool. Maybe he works less than usual on the particular version of “Bitch”. Not because he is “lost in space”of course, but because that usually happens when the Stones have as guest a guitarist who has to entry into Keith’s “fields”. Keith partly dodges, saving powers for the rest of a 2,5 hours gig. Is it the first time you see and hear this happening, guys? Once again: Keith sounds good to me. He just does a bit less job, thanks to a guest's presence. I'm not seeing reasons to bashing him for that.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home