Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Opening Songs
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 18, 2013 00:27

I think that it is their weakest opener ever. It made sense at the very beginning of the Tour, when they seemed to have a concept of going chronologically for the first half of the show (see the exerpt from the first London show below), but they bailed on that concept fairly quickly. If they have to start with an early hit, far better choices would be The Last Time or Under My Thumb (or 19th Nervous Breakdown done at original tempo), all of which start with a well-known guitar riff.

London I (first ten songs)

I Wanna Be Your Man
Get Off Of My Cloud
It's All Over Now
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
Wild Horses
All Down The Line
Going Down (with Jeff Beck)
Out Of Control
One More Shot

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 18, 2013 00:34

stonehearted
I think they should dispense with opening songs and just get to the main part of the set list.

i've always advocated that approach. at the very least start with song #2...and to take it to its logical conclusion, jump right to the warhorse parade and be done with it...folks have other things to do...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 18, 2013 00:41

they should do an A to Z tour and just play every single song in their catalog in alphabetical order. 20 songs per night. If they end up butchering a song, it's OK because they won't be playing it again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-18 00:43 by ryanpow.

Date: May 18, 2013 01:04

ryanpow
If they end up butchering a song, it's OK because they won't be playing it again.

if?

Date: May 18, 2013 02:07

I also think 'GOMC' is not a great opener. The song has always seemed to have kind of a 'herky jerky' time signature to me (no musician am I, obviously.) At the Las Vegas show, the very funky & grooving pseudo 'SFTD' intro tape had everyone shaking their asses, and 'GOMC' stopped that cold. Having seen each tour since '81 on, I think my fav for getting the crowd feeling loose is still 'Not Fade Away' from Voodoo.
It would be great if they could do an early Chuck Berry cover, like '78, but am not sure if a lot of the crowd would know one these days. Personally, my vote would be for 'Route 66' by Bobby Troup. Chuck Berry, The Stones, and even Depeche Mode (so I'm told) have done it.

Date: May 18, 2013 02:18

Thrylan
Is GOMC really a strong opener? I am curious what people think. I love JJF myself, great punch, unsettles the "warhorse" section, makes way for SFM, and is generally shorter due to the nature of the placement. Thoughts?

I don't like it as an opener. SFM would be much better. I always want to hear JJF at the end of the show.

Posted by: Douglas ()
Date: May 18, 2013 02:25

Street Fighting Man!

Date: May 18, 2013 02:26

I guess by this time the opening song choice is actually a hard one. I give them some credit for trying an 'untested' one. It seems like ALL the big hits have been used as openers at least once per tour.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: May 18, 2013 03:09

I don't want JJF as the opener for the simple fact that I want a longer version which the opening slot just doesn't allow. I could listen to them play that all day.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 18, 2013 04:05

Wild Slivovitz
"If You Can't Rock Me" would do it for me. However, "Get Off Of My Cloud" sounds nice as well.

all for If you can't rock me,

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 18, 2013 05:55

GOMC is a lousy opener.

"Star Star" should be the opener.Follow it by "If You Cant Rock Me". Now,we are off to a flying start.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 18, 2013 07:04

Seems most agree GOMC Isn't the right choice. An opener must have some prerequisites- Must have a hard hitting Keith intro, the open G songs fit this well. Needs to be uptempo. Needs to "set" the mood. I understand keeping JJF in the encore, but it's not a great soloing song, (Ronnie riff), as wicked as it is, it gets stale at about 5minutes. 81' being the exeption-down, down down and BACK! IYCRM is a great idea. AsMy favorite tours always start, lights down with Keith exploding into a signiture riff. All Down the Line, Rocks Off, All the Way Down?, Crazy Mama, .....so many better choices. Last time, GOMC does seem like you start at song 5 or 6. Someone stated it's "herky jerky", somewhat. In the clip I watched, the audience did seem baffled/confused.

Date: May 18, 2013 07:58

drbryant
I think that it is their weakest opener ever. It made sense at the very beginning of the Tour, when they seemed to have a concept of going chronologically for the first half of the show (see the exerpt from the first London show below), but they bailed on that concept fairly quickly. If they have to start with an early hit, far better choices would be The Last Time or Under My Thumb (or 19th Nervous Breakdown done at original tempo), all of which start with a well-known guitar riff.

I Wanna Be Your Man
Get Off Of My Cloud
It's All Over Now
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
Wild Horses
All Down The Line
Out Of Control
One More Shot

Out Of Control and Saint of Me should be played as often as the warhorses.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 18, 2013 08:02

JumpinJackOLantern
drbryant

I Wanna Be Your Man
Get Off Of My Cloud
It's All Over Now
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
Wild Horses
All Down The Line
Out Of Control
One More Shot

Out Of Control and Saint of Me should be played as often as the warhorses.

Are you GRNRBITW under another name? because you both say ridiculous and usually funny things but with opposite sentiments.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 18, 2013 08:37

Never been a big fan of the studio version of GOMC...too sing-songy to my ears.

The live versions from 66-67, however, are a different story - faster and more rockin' - great stuff!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 18, 2013 08:54

Roll73
Although thinking about it - if they played an arrangement of GOOMC closer to the original ie a drum intro of a few bars followed by Keith's guitar and the rest joining in - it might have a little more impact.

The way they're playing it now - it just kind of starts quite unceremoniously.

Now you're getting somewhere. It's not the song, it's the execution. If Charlie would lay down the dynamite he did on the single, then it would be a great opener. Jagger give it some sneer, Ronnie imitate Brian's keening guitar. The way they're playing it they come out kind of loping. They gotta give the song the edge it deserves.

Date: May 18, 2013 10:47

Again, thats the problem.......I don't think they can play many songs at an adequate tempo...........Even Jordan reserved dunks for special occasions by the 6th title - stay within yourselves, we will appreciate it.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: May 18, 2013 15:23

The intro song has got to be fast, short, well-known and a hit.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 18, 2013 15:26

I Go Wild

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 18, 2013 15:36

Street Fighting Man on the Licks tour was really good. Jumping Jack Flash sets the bar high for a show. I like it at the end when they can stretch it out more.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: May 18, 2013 15:40

Thrylan
Is GOMC really a strong opener?

Not for me

Date: May 18, 2013 16:53

Munichhilton
I Go Wild

it's all relative

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 18, 2013 17:22

Bitch would be a great opener..Heartbreaker even...but then again...Honky Tonk Women in 75/76 was one of the greatest openers and that was hypnotic...excellent groove to open the show...

Date: May 18, 2013 17:24

Rip This
Bitch would be a great opener..Heartbreaker even...but then again...Honky Tonk Women in 75/76 was one of the greatest openers and that was hypnotic...excellent groove to open the show...

good point. in that case....i vote for the 1975/76 version of honky tonk women

Date: May 18, 2013 17:25

Sparks Will Fly

Date: May 18, 2013 17:27

Munichhilton
Sparks Will Fly

i told you not to play with matches

Date: May 18, 2013 17:35

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
Sparks Will Fly

It's just that I'm usually stuck in the beer tent when they surprise me by hitting the stage. Since I miss the opener I've come up with quite a few helpful suggestions to make my experience that much better...

...Sad Sad Sad...

Date: May 18, 2013 17:40

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
Sparks Will Fly

It's just that I'm usually stuck in the beer tent when they surprise me by hitting the stage. Since I miss the opener I've come up with quite a few helpful suggestions to make my experience that much better...

...Sad Sad Sad...

didn't know there was a beer tent. what kind of beer is it made of? i gotta see this.

Date: May 18, 2013 18:42

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
Sparks Will Fly

...Sad Sad Sad...

didn't know there was a beer tent. what kind of beer is it made of? i gotta see this.

Couldn't tell...my head was spinning

Date: May 18, 2013 20:54

GRNRBITW........You crack me up......I think we are like minded......LOVE our Stones, but no free passes. Just listened to Ya-Yas with my son......might have spoiled him. How about Let Me Go?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2283
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home