Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Album rumors Last Yr.
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: May 16, 2013 20:37

What has happened between a yr. ago & now, that a new album wasn't made?

Recording sessions gave us D&G & OMS and that's it?

Not enough material?

Not enough Good material?

Are these the only 2 songs worked on? Keith said they weren't in the studio long at all.

I read & heard so much news that Jack White was going to produce, and all that resulted was Keith & Jack jamming out. I'd be surprised to hear that White didn't fit in. Would have loved to hear what it may have sounded like with Jack producing...I think it's time to move away from Was!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: New Album rumors Last Yr.
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 16, 2013 20:43

They're lazy and hate each other and don't want to bring in anyone different or even massage Bill's ego a bit and get his old bum in the studio. There's no incentive to do an entire album if D&G & OS qualify as their new material for the stage. Albums don't make money now, tours do. It's the opposite of days gone by. The only reason to make an album is for artistic reasons. That doesn't seem to interest them.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 16, 2013 20:44

Marhsall
Are these the only 2 songs worked on? Keith said they weren't in the studio long at all.
I think your question was answered in your next sentence. If they weren't in the studio long, it makes absolutely logical sense they only recorded these two songs.

They are 70 years old. I don't know why they'd even think of putting out an album at this point. Especially if they aren't gonna tour behind it. I think thats mainly the reason they've been putting out albums since 1990. Its a way to tour, and back then they had the time and weren't as old to be doing it. Now, it'd be a pretty be shock if they went in the studio for a new album. From my perspective of what they would be thinking, I just don't see how they would think its worth it.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 16, 2013 21:04

They forgot to press "record".

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 16, 2013 21:13

I called it last year. I said "maybe 2-3 new songs like 40 Licks". The Cheerleaders lynched me for it. All I can say is...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: May 16, 2013 21:28

24FPS
They're lazy and hate each other and don't want to bring in anyone different or even massage Bill's ego a bit and get his old bum in the studio. There's no incentive to do an entire album if D&G & OS qualify as their new material for the stage. Albums don't make money now, tours do. It's the opposite of days gone by. The only reason to make an album is for artistic reasons. That doesn't seem to interest them.

Nailed it.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 16, 2013 21:29

24FPS

spot on. i'm impressed with your wisdom; it reminds me of mine.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 16, 2013 21:59

There were no recording sessions last year as such. Most of the parts for Doom and Gloom etc were recorded separately and then mixed later. Personally that's not the kind of album I;d like to listen to. If a band can;t play and record together then the only reason they would be doing it, is for money. I might add, let's face it, would anyone in the right mind want another abomination like ABB?

However, on the other hand, if the Glimmer Twins could actually put their differences behind them based on the great performances of this tour, then that blues and country album could be a best seller.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 16, 2013 22:03

24FPS

I think they did a splendid job on those two songs for two people that hate each other.

kudos to them.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 16, 2013 22:12

treaclefingers
24FPS

I think they did a splendid job on those two songs for two people that hate each other.

kudos to them.

Well, I meant it semi-seriously. ZZ Top were live on Howard Stern the other day and admitted all three have separate tour buses and that the only personal relationship they have amongst the trio is professional. For all his camaraderie shtick, you rarely see Keith with anyone in the Stones if it ain't for money. I've seen Mick with Charlie, Ronnie with everyone, and Bill and Charlie hang out but I don't think they're seen in public together. Keith is the one who lives almost exclusively away from England, either in Connecticut or on some tropical Island. Face it, they're not going to invest the months they used to do. They ain't mixin' it, fixin' it, you know the rest.

Date: May 16, 2013 22:15

crumbling_mice
would anyone in the right mind want another abomination like ABB?

the greater abomination is that some fans don't realize what an abomination it is....

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: May 16, 2013 22:24

24FPS
treaclefingers
24FPS

kudos to them.

Well, I meant it semi-seriously. ZZ Top were live on Howard Stern the other day and admitted all three have separate tour buses and that the only personal relationship they have amongst the trio is professional. For all his camaraderie shtick, you rarely see Keith with anyone in the Stones if it ain't for money. I've seen Mick with Charlie, Ronnie with everyone, and Bill and Charlie hang out but I don't think they're seen in public together. Keith is the one who lives almost exclusively away from England, either in Connecticut or on some tropical Island. Face it, they're not going to invest the months they used to do. They ain't mixin' it, fixin' it, you know the rest.

Keith has gone out to dinner with Charlie and Ronnie a few times in recent weeks, but does not seem to mix with Mick. Mick has also been out to dinner with Charlie and Ronnie, but without Keith. Those 2 don't seem to want to socialize together, but it is interesting that A Bigger Bang was started with just Mick and Keith working together, then bringing in Charlie and later on Ronnie, so at least in 2004-05, they were able to put aside any differences and work together.

Date: May 16, 2013 22:26

Halup
24FPS
treaclefingers
24FPS

kudos to them.

Keith has gone out to dinner with Charlie and Ronnie a few times in recent weeks, but does not seem to mix with Mick. Mick has also been out to dinner with Charlie and Ronnie, but without Keith. Those 2 don't seem to want to socialize together, but it is interesting that A Bigger Bang was started with just Mick and Keith working together, then bringing in Charlie and later on Ronnie, so at least in 2004-05, they were able to put aside any differences and work together.

did mick and keith eat dinner during a bigger bang. if so, what was eaten? were the forks and spoons on the correct side of the table? linen napkins? were appetizers arranged?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 16, 2013 22:31

They will record the best ever album after this tour.

Bjornulf

Date: May 16, 2013 22:33

bv

we already have a jackolantern here, you know

Date: May 16, 2013 22:35

24FPS
treaclefingers
24FPS

kudos to them.

I don't really think it's reasonable for fans to expect the Stones to be great pals offstage. When the band first got together they were young men who shared a love for a certain type of music they had recently discovered. Of course they got along famously at first, but it's only natural that after twenty or thirty years they found that they had had quite enough of one another's company.

I get along really well with my co-workers, but I imagine we are a typical bunch in that we don't feel the need to socialize much off the job. I'd guess that if we had to spend most of our waking hours together for the next couple of decades we would end up wanting to kill each other.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 16, 2013 22:35

bv- We love you, we deeply appreciate this board, we hope you're right that they record a new album, but please, stay attached to the planet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-16 22:36 by bam.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 16, 2013 22:42

bam
bv- We love you, we deeply appreciate this board, we hope you're right that they record a new album, but please, stay attached to the planet.

Which planet? I live in Stonesland. I have been a clairvoyant optimist all my life!

Bjornulf

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 16, 2013 23:15

blivet
I don't really think it's reasonable for fans to expect the Stones to be great pals offstage. When the band first got together they were young men who shared a love for a certain type of music they had recently discovered. Of course they got along famously at first, but it's only natural that after twenty or thirty years they found that they had had quite enough of one another's company.

I get along really well with my co-workers, but I imagine we are a typical bunch in that we don't feel the need to socialize much off the job. I'd guess that if we had to spend most of our waking hours together for the next couple of decades we would end up wanting to kill each other.

It isn't really as clear-cut as that. True, we become less fraternal with age, but the bitterness and social aversion in the case of Mick and Keith stem from a host of other factors larger than themselves.

The Stones come from humble beginnings--working class, lower middle class, and so on, which is not a strata of society associated with wealth, mass adulation, and a degree of iconic social influence. Their social backgrounds did not prepare them to deal with these elements of fame gracefully. Their heads became large. In Brian's case, the result was chronic alcoholism and an early death, in Keith's case a decade-long addiction, in Bill Wyman's case an eventual scandalous relationship that never would have happened had he never joined The Stones, and in the case of Mick and Keith, their childhood friendship was invaded by betrayal after betrayal beginning with personal relationships (Anita), an uncompromising, ego-driven power struggle for control of their professional partnership (WWIII), years of personal insults made public through third-party media outlets, capped off finally by the publication of a boastful, one-sided memoir (Life).

They hate each other--at least Mick certainly resents Keith at this point--for a variety of reasons, not because they view each other as wallpaper they've been looking at for too long.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 17, 2013 00:23

bv

With Mick Taylor on all tracks???

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 17, 2013 00:27

uhbuhgullayew
bv

With Mick Taylor on all tracks???

No. He will guest on the concept though...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 17, 2013 00:27

I live in Stonesland. I have been a clairvoyant optimist all my life!

...........post of the year

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 17, 2013 00:31

Rockman
I live in Stonesland. I have been a clairvoyant optimist all my life!

...........post of the year

So does this mean the contest is over? "Dammit Chuck" truly lost a third year in a row?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 17, 2013 00:33

.....there's still a few months ta go but it'll be a tuff one ta knock from top spot

ROCKMAN

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 17, 2013 00:36

stonehearted
blivet

It isn't really as clear-cut as that. True, we become less fraternal with age, but the bitterness and social aversion in the case of Mick and Keith stem from a host of other factors larger than themselves.

The Stones come from humble beginnings--working class, lower middle class, and so on, which is not a strata of society associated with wealth, mass adulation, and a degree of iconic social influence. Their social backgrounds did not prepare them to deal with these elements of fame gracefully. Their heads became large. In Brian's case, the result was chronic alcoholism and an early death, in Keith's case a decade-long addiction, in Bill Wyman's case an eventual scandalous relationship that never would have happened had he never joined The Stones, and in the case of Mick and Keith, their childhood friendship was invaded by betrayal after betrayal beginning with personal relationships (Anita), an uncompromising, ego-driven power struggle for control of their professional partnership (WWIII), years of personal insults made public through third-party media outlets, capped off finally by the publication of a boastful, one-sided memoir (Life).

They hate each other--at least Mick certainly resents Keith at this point--for a variety of reasons, not because they view each other as wallpaper they've been looking at for too long.

I like the analysis based on social class, but I think you can take it further.

Mick is a chronic social climber, concerned with status and its trappings. He strives to join the British upper class. One of the key values of the upper class is its sense of decorum and what is proper (politesse if you will).

Keith on the other hand rebels against that class system and refuses to take on the trappings of it (other than of course the wealth, which he is no doubt, like Mick very focused on) - in fact doing so to a fault, where he hangs out with incredibly unsavory characters, and dispenses with decorum completely.

When Keith speaks his mind, Mick is appalled that he would be so crude, and what's more drag Mick back down to a lower class, or rather Mick's lower class roots.

Keith, on the other hand, sees speaking his mind unfiltered as a badge of not having sold out to doing things the way the "upper class" would (and perhaps therefore does it to unnecessary excess) and finds Mick's accumulation of the trappings of his status (the Sir Mick title being a prime example) as a betrayal.

If my analysis is correct, if the two of them had met for the first time this year, they would also despise each other, as standing for things (and a class) that the other one finds completely appalling.

Date: May 17, 2013 00:48

stonehearted
blivet

There has definitely been bad behavior all around, especially between the two principals, and from my outsider's perspective it does look like Mick and Keith cannot stand each other. My only point was that even without all that it would be highly unlikely there would be anything left but a working relationship between them at this point.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 17, 2013 01:33

GRNRBITW
crumbling_mice

the greater abomination is that some fans don't realize what an abomination it is....

that's abomidable.

Date: May 17, 2013 02:19

treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
crumbling_mice

that's abomidable.

Don't you mean abominable?

As in the snowman

or Dr. Phibes

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 17, 2013 02:28

24FPS
ZZ Top were live on Howard Stern the other day and admitted all three have separate tour buses.
I don't think a band that travels separately is anything to be alarmed about. I'm sure it's not that uncommon for successful bands to do that. If you can afford to travel on your own bus, why wouldn't you? Maybe they bring wives and kids along on tour.

Date: May 17, 2013 03:06

GumbootCloggeroo
24FPS
ZZ Top were live on Howard Stern the other day and admitted all three have separate tour buses.
I don't think a band that travels separately is anything to be alarmed about. I'm sure it's not that uncommon for successful bands to do that. If you can afford to travel on your own bus, why wouldn't you? Maybe they bring wives and kids along on tour.

Ah, so that's it! The wives and kids of band members hate each other. Comprende.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2141
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home