Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Rolling Stones Clearly Classic - ABKCO vinyl collection
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 4, 2014 03:12

Have bought and REBOUGHT the entire Beatles, Stones, Who, Led Zep, ACDC, Doors collections multiple times. AND am STILL thrilled to do so! Guess I'm a sucker :-)

Posted by: bcbud ()
Date: April 4, 2014 07:11

DrPete
Have bought and REBOUGHT the entire Beatles, Stones, Who, Led Zep, ACDC, Doors collections multiple times. AND am STILL thrilled to do so! Guess I'm a sucker :-)

Me too, but I find my 70s and 80s era vinyl copies of Stones and Beatles sound better than the current re-issues which while good, sound a little muffled and flat in comparison to vintage vinyl ...

Date: April 4, 2014 09:35

kowalski
"All three albums have been meticulously mastered from high resolution audio files sourced from the original master tapes, assuring optimal sound quality that exceeds both conventional CD audio and digital downloads."

The source is the same as the previous ABKCO vinyl reissues, ie the 2002 DSD digital files.

Abkco's statement makes little sense to me.

ANALOG Master Tapes >>>> to DIGITAL audio files >>>> BACK TO an ANALOG vinyl record ????

When dealing with analog vinyl records it would seem logical to me that the best way to handle the situation would be to source the records DIRECTLY from the analog (I presume in this case) studio master tapes.

..... Unless the analog master tapes have deteriorated in some way.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 22, 2014 18:33

ABKCO Rolls Out Three More Clearly Classic Stones Titles May 6: Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out!, 12 X 5, Through The Past, Darkly

ABKCO has announced three significant additions to its Rolling Stones “Clearly Classic” vinyl series that launched last year. Set for reissue on clear 180-gram vinyl on May 6 are Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! The Rolling Stones In Concert, 12 X 5, and Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2). The titles join Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, and Hot Rocks: 1964-1971, which received resoundingly positive critical and consumer response upon release in 2013. All releases in the Clearly Classic series have been meticulously mastered from high resolution audio files sourced from the original master tapes, assuring optimal sound quality that exceeds both conventional CD audio and digital downloads.

The Rolling Stones “Clearly Classic” May 6 releases:

Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! The Rolling Stones in Concert holds the distinction of being the first live album by any artist to have reached #1 on the UK charts. Recorded at New York City’s Madison Square Garden on November 27 and 28, 1969, Ya-Ya’s is considered the Stones’ finest live album. It was the band’s first release to feature guitarist Mick Taylor, who had joined several months earlier. Ya-Ya’s includes hits such as “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” “Street Fighting Man,” and “Sympathy for the Devil” but is most notable for an 9+ minute version of “Midnight Rambler” with extended harmonica solos, thought by many to be the best version of the song.

12 X 5 was the Stones’ second U.S. full-length release. Originally released in October of 1964, 12 X 5 combines the Five by Five EP (recorded at Chess Studios in Chicago) with the singles “It’s All Over Now” and “Time Is on My Side” and the B-sides of those singles. Also part of the 12 X 5 tune stack are three more tracks that were later included in the Stones’ second UK full-length The Rolling Stones No. 2. 12 X 5 is dominated by the Stones’ takes on R&B and blues songs. The way in which Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman and Brian Jones interpreted these songs shaped and informed the hard blues/R&B wing of the British Invasion in ensuing years. The Clearly Classic edition is based on the original mono mix.

Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2) was originally released in September 1969, and is the second compilation album of hits by the Rolling Stones, following Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass). Through the Past made a huge splash on both sides of the Atlantic, reaching #2 in both the U.S. and UK. The album includes numerous Stones’ classics including “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” “Let’s Spend The Night Together” and “Honky Tonk Women.” The packaging stays true to the original layout, with its trademark octagonal-shaped album cover. The inside flap contains this poem written by Jones, who died two months before the release:

When this you see, remember me,
and bear me in your mind.
Let all the world say what they may,
speak of me as you find.

[www.abkco.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-22 20:34 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 22, 2014 18:47

Cool to have 12 X 5 in mono. The SACD was had the Chess tracks in true stereo, but combined with the Regent Sound tracks in mono, it sounded scattered throughout.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: April 22, 2014 18:53

i just get those 2nd hand smiling smiley but on 1960's vinyl smiling smiley why remaster? i dont get it... the originals are the best smiling smiley prefer decca over london too

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 22, 2014 19:51

MononoM
i just get those 2nd hand smiling smiley but on 1960's vinyl smiling smiley why remaster? i dont get it... the originals are the best smiling smiley prefer decca over london too

I don't believe there is a DECCA 12x5.

New vinyl version of "Through The Past, Darkly" official?
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 15, 2014 10:35

Hi!
Just stumbled over this:

[www.amazon.com]

Label: Abkco !
Really?
With tracks like "RuNy Tuesday" and "Sittin' On THE Fence"???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-15 12:20 by Rank Stranger.

Re: New vinyl version of "Through The Past, Darkly" official?
Date: May 15, 2014 10:58

You Better Move On and Sitting On A Fence are on the UK release (which I don't have...).

Hard to tell if it's a misspelling or a faux release, tough.

Posted by: boynamedsue69 ()
Date: May 15, 2014 11:11

they are releasing 12x5, get yer ya yas out and through the past darkly on clear vinyl. it follows on from last years release of beggars banquet, let it bleed and hot rocks. all on clear 180 gram vinyl

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 15, 2014 11:39

I got the new clear vinyl editions of 12x5, Through The Past, Darkly and Get Yer Ya-Yas Out! last week. They're definitely official, to go with last year's clear vinyl reissues of Beggars' Banquet, Let It Bleed, and Hot Rocks.

But the version of Through The Past, Darkly includes the U.S. song configuration, i.e., no Sitting on a Fence, You Better Move On, and We Love You, with Paint It, Black and Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing in the Shadow instead. The octagonal cover is too large to fit in a plastic outer sleeve.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 15, 2014 11:55

It's also listed on Amazon.de as well as on jpc.de with release date 6-May-2014 and from Abkco ... seems to be official.

UK/US track listing and other info about Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2) on Wikipedia.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-15 12:05 by Irix.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 15, 2014 12:25

Well I started this thread because of the misspellings, of course.

Did anybody order this item, and are these mistakes really on the record?

By the way, the Jpc link has a different tracklisting.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 15, 2014 13:25

I just bought a new copy of the CD a few weeks ago, the ABKCO 2002 remaster. On the back of the booklet on the inside front cover it has Brian Jones' life years as 1943-1969. Even after all these years, they haven't bothered correcting it. I don't think the folks at ABKCO are too concerned with trivial things like the birth years of band members or the spelling of song titles. At least the remastering sounds good, and that's what counts.

Date: May 15, 2014 16:44

I'd already ordered 12x5 and this thread prompted me to get GYYYO and the Octagonal.

The choice is, clear.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 15, 2014 17:54

tatters
frankotero
Is there a "quality" difference between black and transparent vinyl? If the 2002 source is the same where's the benefit?

There might very well be. Colored vinyl (colored anything other than black) tends not to sound as good as black vinyl, but black vinyl is itself colored vinyl. Vinyl is clear in its natural state.

Are you sure about this (vinyl in its natural state being clear)? That's not the impression I got when doing the United Record Pressing tour, but I don't claim to be an expert. I agree that colored vinyl doesn't sound as good as black, though.

Date: May 15, 2014 23:52

Aquamarine
tatters
frankotero
Is there a "quality" difference between black and transparent vinyl? If the 2002 source is the same where's the benefit?

There might very well be. Colored vinyl (colored anything other than black) tends not to sound as good as black vinyl, but black vinyl is itself colored vinyl. Vinyl is clear in its natural state.

Are you sure about this (vinyl in its natural state being clear)? That's not the impression I got when doing the United Record Pressing tour, but I don't claim to be an expert. I agree that colored vinyl doesn't sound as good as black, though.

I also heard that once, and on this thread there's a discussion about this subject. BTW, I prefer records on their regular colour.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: May 16, 2014 00:41

I bought all three .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-16 00:42 by boston2006.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 16, 2014 06:12

The 'RuNy Tuesday' mispelling are not present on the cover, so the one seen above, is a mock-up.

Through The Past, Darkly is the U.S. tracklist, so it seems we are getting the U.S. configurations on these vinyls.

The U.K. albums were released in an excellent box, three years ago.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 16, 2014 10:20

Blueranger

The U.K. albums were released in an excellent box, three years ago.

Must have been the 'Rolling Stones Vinyl Box Set 1964-1969':

Date: May 16, 2014 18:11

boston2006
I bought all three .

I bought all 6!

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: May 16, 2014 18:18

Well technically so did I as the others were purchased on the first release date about a year ago .

Date: May 17, 2014 16:45

boston2006
Well technically so did I as the others were purchased on the first release date about a year ago .

Don't worry Boston, without actually knowing that, I knew that already! winking smiley

Date: June 9, 2015 22:14

Time-Life is now releasing 12x5, Let it Bleed and Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! with a limited edition lithograph which reproduces the album cover, "signed" in the plate by the members of the band. Facsimile signatures, by the way, and there's no Mick Taylor's autograph on Ya-Ya's.

Date: June 10, 2015 02:22

Cristiano, have you heard whether there's a new set planned soon?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 10, 2015 14:52

I am suprised that ABKCO havent released the next trio of vinyl albums to coincide with current tour. A missed promotonal opportunity.
Allthough likely sales will be modest compared to say, 20 years ago the costs of releasing would also be modest.
Perhaps the current position is that ABKCO cant release product at the same time as "new" Stones product, SF that is.
Possible.

Date: June 10, 2015 16:54

jlowe
I am suprised that ABKCO havent released the next trio of vinyl albums to coincide with current tour. A missed promotonal opportunity.
Allthough likely sales will be modest compared to say, 20 years ago the costs of releasing would also be modest.
Perhaps the current position is that ABKCO cant release product at the same time as "new" Stones product, SF that is.
Possible.

Why would ABKCO have entered into an agreement where they can't release Stones product any time they want, especially at this late stage? Plus, that's exactly what they've done for the two other times they've released these 'sets of 3' clear vinyls.

Date: June 10, 2015 17:04

treaclefingers
Cristiano, have you heard whether there's a new set planned soon?

No, I haven't , treacle. I've done some searching about this but the only "news" I've found are related to this Time-Life re-release.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 10, 2015 17:08

treaclefingers
Blueranger
boston2006
treaclefingers
oh dear lord please make them stop

Agreed !

I have neither the space nor the cash !!

There is one option: DON'T BUY IT! That some people think they just HAVE to buy EVERYTHING is not the record companies faults. They make an offer and people can refuse to buy it.

There is a market for those reissues, just keep them coming.

people like you are not part of the solution, they're part of the problem, or something.

Yeah, keep'em coming. I was debating whether or not to make a trip to IKEA to buy another billy bookcase...I guess that decision is now made.

I love Billy Bookcases.

Date: June 10, 2015 18:51

24FPS
treaclefingers
Blueranger
boston2006
treaclefingers
oh dear lord please make them stop

Agreed !

I have neither the space nor the cash !!

There is one option: DON'T BUY IT! That some people think they just HAVE to buy EVERYTHING is not the record companies faults. They make an offer and people can refuse to buy it.

There is a market for those reissues, just keep them coming.

people like you are not part of the solution, they're part of the problem, or something.

Yeah, keep'em coming. I was debating whether or not to make a trip to IKEA to buy another billy bookcase...I guess that decision is now made.

I love Billy Bookcases.

The Stones are making IKEA rich!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home