Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How IIronic Taylor and Blondie Chapman
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 3, 2005 13:13

Taylor's gig from 4/29/90 from munich germany.How ironic Blondie Chapman toured with Taylor(now he keeps company with the stones backup singers trying to get jagger through all the vocals. jagger singing now is flat.Well anyway Blondie does his song Semolina and taylor says he wrote it something funny about song credits I got the impression he was poking fun at the glimmers.taylor let Blondie play the middle solo on leather
jacket which I thought was nusual.Also on going south Taylor plays some nice Harmonics which I can,t recall he has done much of live.

Re: How IIronic Taylor and Blondie Chapman
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 3, 2005 13:26

Chaplin.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 4, 2005 04:55

Hotness!

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: March 4, 2005 07:25

I'm curious.
Where is the irony in this?

It's said that irony is lost on the stupid, I guess that applies to an extent here as it is obvious you've no understanding of its meaning or appropriate application.

"Common sense isn't that common".
Rock on Voltaire even though your vibrato probably sucked.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: March 4, 2005 07:27

ps - "Leather jacket" is an absolute stinker.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: March 4, 2005 09:08

Gotta agree with Monkey....Leather Jacket sound like a bunch of bad idea demos. Horrible album. MT had some great moments with the Stones, but those moments seemed to vanish whe he left the band.

Milo, NYC
Cancer or polio

Date: March 4, 2005 12:42

The stones lost there credibility as a live act when taylor left.BTW leather jacket is about our fav frontman mj.

Please listen to 1979 - musically its heavens above anything the stones put out
after he left.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 5, 2005 05:14

Taylor has an album called ''Leather Jacket''?? Because forgive me, but right now I'm thinking of Elton John's stinker album ''Leather Jackets''... Which had one good song on it. Anyway, stupid title. Can't believe it was used twice by two such talented musicians! What gives, yo?!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 5, 2005 06:06

OpenG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Taylor's gig from 4/29/90 from munich
> germany.How ironic Blondie Chapman toured with
> Taylor(now he keeps company with the stones backup
> singers trying to get jagger through all the
> vocals. jagger singing now is flat.Well anyway
> Blondie does his song Semolina and taylor says he
> wrote it something funny about song credits I got
> the impression he was poking fun at the
> glimmers.taylor let Blondie play the middle solo
> on leather
> jacket which I thought was nusual.Also on going
> south Taylor plays some nice Harmonics which I
> can,t recall he has done much of live.

Blondie actually sings more as a back-up or a shadow for Keith. Bernard Fowler is more Mick's vocal foil than Blondie is.

Taylor's solo work may be full of good playing, but the songs he has released as a solo artist have been for the most part instantly forgettable. Its all very well being technically gifted (thats not in doubt), but if the songs aren't there - whats the point. To say this stuff is better than anything the Stones have put out since he left is nonsensical

Date: March 6, 2005 16:44

IMO the stones lost their heart and soul when taylor left and if you question
Taylor's songwriting yeah its not prolific but he wrote two rockers Broken Hands
and Twisted Sister which IMO is better than any rock song the glimmers have wrote
since some girls.They can only write ballads no more rock and roll kick ass in your face rock and roll.His 2 solo records are better than Emotional Rescue,
Steel Wheels,Voodo Lounge,B2B and Dirty Work.

Listen to Spanish A Minor off 1979 or Slow Blues or Giddy Up these are fresh musical ideas not recyled riffs and arrangements.

1979 and A Stones Throw are better than those post Taylor records after Some
Girls.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: March 6, 2005 21:08

I GUESS YOU DON'T LISTEN TO LIVE STONES MUCH THESE DAYS! MICK'S SINGING IS FAR FROM FLAT! HE'S NEVER SOUNDED BETTER LIVE! OH WELL, I GUESS SOME FOLKS JUST DON'T LISTEN WELL.

Date: March 6, 2005 21:40

<Listen to Spanish A Minor off 1979 or Slow Blues or Giddy Up these are fresh musical ideas not recyled riffs and arrangements.>

I use to respect your musical views OpenG, but this is pure bollocks. Of course I have the album, but everything on it is bad production, dried out ideas (not fresh) and lazy guitar dabbling IMO. BTW, Alabama could have worked with a less anonymous singer...

Actually, it seems like Mick T. already at that point had thrown his pick away, and started his new playing style (in which he still clings to...). And that's a different Mick Taylor (though he's still good) than the one we used to love.

Date: March 7, 2005 12:59

He really sounds great on CYHMK - he can,t hit the notes and is flat.

Amazing that you can think that Taylor's playing on Spanish A Minor,Slow Blues,
and Giddy Up is dabbling only what has Keith done the last 40 years except recyle
riffs and ideas you cant be serious.

Date: March 7, 2005 13:51

I don't like Ronnie's playing on CYHMK.

I don't like Taylor's solo record from 1979.

I do think that songs made after Taylor quit, like Hey Negrita, Memory Motel, Beast Of Burden, Miss You, Far Away Eyes, Undercover, She Was Hot, Feel On Baby, One Hit (To The Body), Terrifying, Continental Drift, Almost Hear You Sigh, The Worst, Moon Is Up, Saint Of Me and How Can I Stop is more than "recycled riffs", and far more than Mick Taylor can come up with as a songwriter. I'm happy if he'll prove me wrong one day, but he hasn't yet...

Date: March 7, 2005 14:17

I agree the stones wrote many good songs on Emotional Rescue,Dirty Work,B2B,
Voodo Lounge,Steel Wheels but these are not great records.I am saying Taylor's
2 records 1979 and A Stones Throw IMO are better than those records.Listen to A
Stones Throw his last record from 1998 its a great record vs the stones attempt
B2B trying again to sound trendy and jagger's attempt to make the stones music
sound like the current trend.Also why cant they write hard rocking kick ass songs
anymore.Taylor's rocking song Twisted Sister sure sounds like it could of been
on Exile and his guitar attack on Blind Willie brings the song alive.I guess if
you like good ballads then you would not be disappointed with those songs with
those records.They went from making great records to writing only good songs
along the way.

Date: March 7, 2005 14:38

You forgot Some Girls (which is my favourite stones record...).

BTW, I think Undercover is a great record.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 8, 2005 03:01

Well Open G , I am finally glad to see you use the three letters "IMO," because it finally shows an understaniding of the truth, it all honestly boils down to opinion. I think that you will find many of us here agree that the work done with the Stones by MT was nothing short of brilliant. However, you are at a Stones sight, not a MT sight, so no matter how hard you preach, you will not convince us that the reason behind the greatness of the band was MT and the time he spent with them. You will not be able to convince most of us that the ouptput since the breakup shows a deifinitive egde in creativity for MT, because if numbers of releases, sales figures, critical accolades of musical journalists are not enought to stack the table against MT, YOU ARE AT A STONES SIGHT.

I aprecciate the loyalty that you show MT. I appreciate MT. But I also appreciate Dandelion for the list; it has not been 20 years of recycled riffs, but an ongoing if slowing exploration. I also find it strange that people bitch if the Stones try new things and claim they are trendy and then also complain if they do not because then they are recycling. Nothing will satisfy.

Anyhow, Open G, I am always happy to read your missives but cannot wonder if you would not be happier at an MT fan site. I play music, I have some musical training, I have a wide variety in my musical collection, I am open minded, quizzical, edcuated, travelled, respected, and I am at a Stones site so I feel quite comfortable in saying that in my opinion, nothing that MT has released solo has compared to the work done by the Stones since he left and that his solo body of work is IMO a disappointment both in quantity and creativity for a man that often claimed being in the Stones was stifling; his solo life is IMO an unfulfilled promise of greatness.

Date: March 8, 2005 19:08

I am at a MT site and just here to give MT is due and credit he deserves.He will
always be a stone and his contributions on those records are timeless and stand
the test of time.Even jagger says in that rolling stone interview his contributions were huge and if you read between the lines and quotes about MT he
admits that he collaborated with Taylor on Moonlight and Sway and says keith
was not around.Thats powerful quotes from jagger and song credits should of been
given to Taylor and not Keith.His solo work and collaborations with other artists
after he left IMO should be discussed to attract new fans that did not grow up
with the Taylor era and grew up with the Woody era like me.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: March 8, 2005 19:51

99% of the people here loves Taylor's work with the Stones, and most of us even recognize the 69-73 era as the best times for the band. But comparing Taylor's work since he left the band (let's not forget that he left the band) with the albums released by the Stones in the same time frame doesn't make any sense to me. If any of the Taylor's solo albums were about the 10% of Some Girls quality-wise (and I'm not talking about technical abilities but compositions) for sure he would be more credited.

MT's work is in the History of R'n'R because he was the lead guitarist of the Stones in their prime time. Nothing more, nothing less. Shouldn't he had worked with those bastards, MT would be listened (and appreciated) only by a few.

Just my opinion...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-08 19:52 by bruno.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: March 8, 2005 21:16

Well - I'll jump in - all you Jagger/Richards honks are typical.
Taylor hasn't done nothing since he left the Stones, his albums don't rate
with the Stones, blah blah

Guess it's a matter of taste, but Taylor's work (his 79 release & A Stones Throw) is so much better that alot (and I'm knot saying all) of the Stones
release's - but I guess it's what one has been exposed to going to concerts...
I have seen some of the best MUSICIANS over the years, Stones 69,72,73 & 75(wood)
Clapton, Beck, Duane Allman to name a few. that kind of musicianship is what
impressed me over the years, not how successful or how much money some have made
(aka Jagger/Richards) but - keep paying what your paying to see the current lineup, I'll only pay to see the Stones again with Mick Taylor in the lineup!!

MLC

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 8, 2005 21:36

Too funny how some people here put the band down so much and say how they are basically crap after Taylor left yet they are on a Stones message board. Why waste your time. Also I recently bought Mick Taylor's solo cds and while there is some good guitar playing on them the songs themselves are plain horrible. Taylor's solo projects make Bill Wyman's solo albums sound like works of art. Well maybe that is a little too much. But I had a very hard time finding Taylor's solo discs at any record store and even ones that have rather hard to find stuff. When I asked where I could find these albums the store owners reply was "don't waste your money." And know that I heard them I can see why.

Good point made above about people calling the Stones trendy. What is that supposed to mean. If it sounds like a typical Stones song it is a "recycled riff" if it sounds new and different it is "trendly." Why contridict yourself...

Date: March 8, 2005 21:41

Hey Dog - don't ever talk about Bill Wyman or Brian Jones!!!!
they're not "Stones" anymore either. Hey why don't you go buy:
Wayne Newton live in Las Vegas!!! hey he's very successful and has made
lot's of money!! it apears that's where your musical taste lie!!

You wouldn't know good music from your xxxxx MLC

Date: March 8, 2005 21:51

What??? You are right I don't know any good music.. And yes I care about how much they make, what nonsense. Two of my favorite bands the Allmans and Dead have always been all about money I suppose too. Don't know how someone on a Stones board could have such a problem with Mick and Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-08 21:51 by Hound Dog.

Date: March 8, 2005 22:10

Dog - I have a problem with people who write things like your comment about
how terrible Taylor's CD's are and some clown in a Record store telling you not
to buy them. How could you like the Allmans and not put Taylor's music above what the "current" Stones are putting out?? did you not see that sorry special
of their's on Cable TV ??? I couldn't watch it... they are so hit & miss these days. Heard a boot of one of their early show's from Boston, they did what I thought was a decent version of CYHMK, best solo I've heard from Ronnie in a while (see I don't just blast them off-hand) but that show on HBO....
Ronnie clowning with somr groupie with a neon sign that said: Ronnie be good
Keith was so dis-interested, jagger wiggling his wringled ass was so gay!!!
he should just stand there and deliver!! All I heard was backing vocals and Chuck
on Keyboards - sorry MLC

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: March 8, 2005 22:20

I liked what the Stones did when Mick T was in the band... but I prefer the Stones live after Mick Taylor, the first 10 years or so with Ronnie Wood are the best.
Ronnie Wood is a Rolling Stones, Mick Taylor never was.
You think the Stones are a Vegas act now? Put Mick Taylor on stage with them and tell me what you have - a Vegas act with a fat, unsuccessful, way past his prime Pub guitarist who stands there noodling around on his guitar.
Not what I want. Give me Ronnie in good shape!

Date: March 8, 2005 22:20

MLC, I hear what you are saying on certain things. Read what I wrote, I did not listen to what that guy said in the record store, if I did I wouldn't have gone out of my way to get Taylor's solo cds. In fact I will never not listen to something because of what a critic will say, I'd rather form my own opnion. All I am saying is I think his songwriting is very weak and his vocals are not good at all. I have some Taylor boots which are much better than his studio stuff like the Lone Star Cafe show. I like his songs that have that jazzy feel to them, similar to something Jeff Beck would do. And about the Stones records, IMO I think Voodoo Lounge is great. Better than Undercover, Emotional Rescue and a few others.

Date: March 8, 2005 22:36

yeah and ronnie wood not having the balls to play a real live single note solo
all these years wasted only making grimaces and faces on stage and never moving
his fingers.yeah taylor is out of shape but what does that have to do with his
guitar playing nothing he still has the magic and vibrato and thats all that
matters.yeah go see the stones and all the glimmer,and backup singers and
all the glitz the music does not matter anymore they sold out and have gone
commercial.Bill Gates even got to jagger and paid 20 million dollars to use
start me up

Date: March 8, 2005 22:42

H-Dog - good to hear you make your own decisions about what you buy/listen to

Have you heard Taylor's boot from 2002 / San Francisco?? he was smokin that
night, and I agree he's not the best vocalist (better than Ronnie/Keith though)
He needs to be with other good musicians, I have hoped for decades now that
the Stones would bring him back, just of one night and perform songs that can't
do now from the 70's Sway. Time whats for no one, CYHMK with Taylor doing the
leads he introduced into that song, etc.!! Who knows what it might sound like
but Jagger/Richards always got the best out of him - ya never know.....

MLC

Date: March 9, 2005 14:13

Taylor a vegas act - now thats funny the stones did a vegas show on the licks
tour for a private group of rich and famous people.So who is doing the Vegas
act with all the glimmer and glitz.

Sorry but Taylor can play live these days the stones are left with Jagger and
Charlie to carry the load.

Date: March 9, 2005 14:20

You can also argue that Jagger's best record since Some Girls is Wandering
Spirit and Keith's best record is Talk Is Cheap and that the two did not
write great rolling stones records since some girls.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1093
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home