Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 17
Re: To The Rolling Stones: We Want A New Album In 2014!
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 15, 2013 02:01

gotdablouse

Having said that, yeah, nothing beats the thrill of a new album, however weak it is...and I've had a few since I've been a fan! First one I waited for was UC, then we got DW, SW, VL, B2B, ABB...each time the press ranted and raved about them and I listened to them round the clock at first, totally unable to have any critical opinion...None of them were "bad", the Stones can't release a "bad" album, but the one I'm the fondest about would be B2B.

Oh yeah, I recall that thrill, and actually I've been following the same route as you do starting with UNDERCOVER. Even though it, DIRTY WORK and STEEL WHEELS - the ones I mostly have waited to be released during my Stones fanhood - are rather low ranked now, but damn did each of them sounded great at the time of their relaese! Now to think that: each of them sounded damn different to anything they have done before - okay, it was 80's, but still: the band sounded like reshaping their sound to suit to the times, and I actually recall thinking in each case of them that "oh yeah, I've seen a new Stones masterpiece to have born!" You couldn't compare the new records, say, one to to one to BEGGARS BANQUET or STICKY FINGERS because those belonged to a different soundscape altogether, and the new times were like creating a new criterion. I don't remember how long the euphoria lasted - probably by the time DIRTY WORK was released, UNDERCOVER didn't feel a masterpiece any longer, and STEEL WHEELS made DIRTY WORK to sound out of date.

I guess the older fans, who had been following the band for longer, and had more albums in their belts, were 'wiser' or more 'objective' at the time, and saw more quickly that there was no a new EXILE or even SOME GIRLS being released.grinning smiley But for a 80's born Stones fan, like me, belonging to the "Start Me Up" generation, the decade actually was a thrill to follow. Now all of you laugh to us, but we did rather well!>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 02:05 by Doxa.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 15, 2013 03:15

Doxa
gotdablouse

Having said that, yeah, nothing beats the thrill of a new album, however weak it is...and I've had a few since I've been a fan! First one I waited for was UC, then we got DW, SW, VL, B2B, ABB...each time the press ranted and raved about them and I listened to them round the clock at first, totally unable to have any critical opinion...None of them were "bad", the Stones can't release a "bad" album, but the one I'm the fondest about would be B2B.

Oh yeah, I recall that thrill, and actually I've been following the same route as you do starting with UNDERCOVER. Even though it, DIRTY WORK and STEEL WHEELS - the ones I mostly have waited to be released during my Stones fanhood - are rather low ranked now, but damn did each of them sounded great at the time of their relaese! Now to think that: each of them sounded damn different to anything they have done before - okay, it was 80's, but still: the band sounded like reshaping their sound to suit to the times, and I actually recall thinking in each case of them that "oh yeah, I've seen a new Stones masterpiece to have born!" You couldn't compare the new records, say, one to to one to BEGGARS BANQUET or STICKY FINGERS because those belonged to a different soundscape altogether, and the new times were like creating a new criterion. I don't remember how long the euphoria lasted - probably by the time DIRTY WORK was released, UNDERCOVER didn't feel a masterpiece any longer, and STEEL WHEELS made DIRTY WORK to sound out of date.

I guess the older fans, who had been following the band for longer, and had more albums in their belts, were 'wiser' or more 'objective' at the time, and saw more quickly that there was no a new EXILE or even SOME GIRLS being released.grinning smiley But for a 80's born Stones fan, like me, belonging to the "Start Me Up" generation, the decade actually was a thrill to follow. Now all of you laugh to us, but we did rather well!>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

I was introduced to undercover by the video on MTV. Wasn't a huge stones fan yet, just a big one. Got undercover the week it came out and judging it by the standards of the time, found it a solid rock and roll record.

Then discovered exile and beggars banquet and realized what a disappointment undercover was.

I was in college when dirty work went out I knew when my record store got the week's new releases, headed over after class, and got them to go in the back room and unbox the shipment in front of me. I got the first copy in my neighborhood. Went back to my dorm and put it on, thrilled to be listening to the tracks for the first time. I remember thinking Harlem shuffle and the excitement building... And then horror setting in. Track after track of disappointment. Then finally "sleep tonight" came on, and the outro with Ian Stewart's piano playing and I remember thinking this is crap but keith left us something at the end to keep hope alive.
Repeat again with steel wheels a few years later....

Never bought any album they have made after tbat. Except for flashpoint, as a memory of the steel wheels tour. It doesn't compare to how they sounded in 89 and I haven't listened to it for 20 years.

I love the some girls and exile bonus tracks though.

That's my story :-(

Date: May 15, 2013 03:58

sanQ
I think they really tried to make a great album with A Bigger Bang. It's not that bad.

My suggestion for them would be to throw out all the modern technology and go for a grassroots approach with acoustic music with unique sound and record with someone like T-Bone Burnett. This is how they can get one more great album. Do something like Robert Plant did with Alison Krauss. They need to go back to basics. Then when a new tour happens, if this is not the farewell, they can perform electric versions of their new songs. But I would like to add that if Willie Nelson can still perform and tour at 80, so can the Rolling Stones who are 10 years younger.

I have a feeling ABB will pick up steam in the coming years and be viewed a lot more favorably than it is today.

I like your idea of a grass-roots approach with acoustic music. I hope they stay together long enough so we can see them performing sitting down and playing. After this tour I would advise them to slowly head in that direction. The problem is Mick might be doing what he is doing now at 75. Not sure the rest of the band can keep up this "teenager pace" for too many more years. Maybe Ronnie?

Date: May 15, 2013 04:00

Have wanted an album over the tour all along.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 15, 2013 04:01

Rockman
What I want is "Ned Kelly - The Sequel".

..... Freejill .....the sequel ta Freejack would be a better way ta go..

I'll see your "Freejill" and I'll raise you "Another Memo From Turner".

Date: May 15, 2013 04:21

Palace Revolution 2000
Have wanted an album over the tour all along.

Yeah, me too, however, by performing so magnificently, they have strengthened/enhanced their legacy. I just hope they don't push it too far. I would like to see them slow things down a bit in years to come...spend more time in the studio...become artists again. That's when the real fun would begin. At least for me. Sure hope they have a club and theater future ahead.

Date: May 15, 2013 04:42

DandelionPowderman
This one certainly doesn't suck...

Good song, not great, but good. Certainly doesn't suck. Biggest Mistake is very good and so is She Saw Me Coming. Rough Justice was good. And the ladies think SOL is fantastic. I sure liked it live. Laugh, I Nearly Died is a classic in my opinion. Overall it has grown on me some. I doubt I will ever like Sweet Neo Con, but we have to remember it was basically a double album by the numbers. I think you have to be at a certain place in your life top get it. It's a little somber.

Date: May 15, 2013 04:46

KeithNacho
The tour is an absolutely nostalgic act; i want and i need more new RS music.
I liked ABB
I like D&G
I vote for a new album!!!!!!!!!!!!

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: May 15, 2013 04:53

I am ecstatic over the overwhelming support here for a new Rolling Stones album! We need to keep this thread at the top of leader board (I love golf terms) at least long enough for Mick to see it. I know he is busy at the moment with the tour but I am certain he is checking in here at least a couple times a week. Most likely the day after their concerts. Hi, Mick, how ya doing? Can you hear OK in the back?

Date: May 15, 2013 05:05

andrewt
I have the strangest feeling I've been in this thread before, like last week, and the week before that one.

Yes, but this one is going to grab Mick's attention. I doubt he has time to read but a few of the "eye-catchers."

Date: May 15, 2013 05:16

GumbootCloggeroo
Why do you guys want a new album? Other than, according to JumpinJackOLantern, so the Stones can beat the Beatles, whatever that means. Are there any sane reasons?

Just what are your reasons for wanting a new album? Or not wanting one?

Date: May 15, 2013 05:29

I refuse to believe that the Stones are just going to ride off into the sunset without giving us at least one more studio album for the road. Am I right, Mick?

Date: May 15, 2013 05:33

Hi jumpin
I don't have anything to say I just wanted to give you a message to reply to so that you can bump your post up to the top again.

Date: May 15, 2013 05:34

Just what are you planning to do with all those songs you said you have written since ABB?

Date: May 15, 2013 05:38

sonomastone
Hi jumpin
I don't have anything to say I just wanted to give you a message to reply to so that you can bump your post up to the top again.

Thanks. We need to keep it "front and center" at least until Mick sees it. We also need more members to respond with a resounding YES to a new album. Are you with us?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 05:58 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Date: May 15, 2013 05:43

JumpinJackOLantern
sonomastone
Hi jumpin

Thanks. We need to keep it "front and center" at least until Mick sees it. We also need more members to respond with a resounding yes to a new album. Are you with us?

Like I said earlier on this post, and also the same topic you posted about 48 hours ago, and the same topic you posted last week, I would like to see them do a covers record. I think they are playing well and with passion but their ability to write great songs expired sometime around the time they recorded All About You in the late 70s (ie, midway point of their career).

Date: May 15, 2013 05:51

sonomastone
JumpinJackOLantern
sonomastone
Hi jumpin

Thanks. We need to keep it "front and center" at least until Mick sees it. We also need more members to respond with a resounding yes to a new album. Are you with us?

Like I said earlier on this post, and also the same topic you posted about 48 hours ago, and the same topic you posted last week, I would like to see them do a covers record. I think they are playing well and with passion but their ability to write great songs expired sometime around the time they recorded All About You in the late 70s (ie, midway point of their career).

Sorry, I have become somewhat forgetful in my old age.

They do fabulous covers. I have always said they could take any Dylan song and make it better. Their version of Like A Rolling Stone is "killer".

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: May 15, 2013 10:43

rambler44
NedKelly
I would love a new album with new material. The most fun would be with this lie up:
Jagger
Richards
Wood
Taylor
Wyman
Watts

And whoever they want as sidemen. I don't mind Leavell. He's done a good job for about thirty years.

And shall we call it The Rolling Stones- UNION like YES did?? May I remind you that Mr. Taylor and Mr. Wyman QUIT THE BAND!!!! They have no entitlement to be asked back.
You know what was great yesterday? Listening to Rod Stewart on the Howard Stern show lavish praise and pay homage to Ron Wood over and over again. And Rod said when he doesn't have a commitment to that "other" band we are gonna get the Faces together and go out on the road. And I bet they go in the studio and make a great album. Like Rod Stewart said, "Even though my solo career was flying I would have never left the Faces or Woody. But then Woody left for the Stones." Stern asked were you upset? Rod: "No how could I be upset? I always knew Woody would be in the Stones. He was born to be in that band."

Amen!

Well, I know they both quit. I just think that it would be great to have them make music again together. They are sharing the same roots, so why not get together and make an album? They are all good, and it's no competition between any of them. Bill would make the roll come back, Ronnie, Keith and Mick could all leave their trade marks on the tracks.
For all it's worth, I would definetely buy the album. smiling smiley

Date: May 15, 2013 11:00

JumpinJackOLantern
DandelionPowderman

Good song, not great, but good. Certainly doesn't suck. Biggest Mistake is very good and so is She Saw Me Coming. Rough Justice was good. And the ladies think SOL is fantastic. I sure liked it live. Laugh, I Nearly Died is a classic in my opinion. Overall it has grown on me some. I doubt I will ever like Sweet Neo Con, but we have to remember it was basically a double album by the numbers. I think you have to be at a certain place in your life top get it. It's a little somber.

This Place Is Empty and Dangerous Beauty are good as well, imo.

Date: May 15, 2013 11:29

DandelionPowderman
JumpinJackOLantern
DandelionPowderman

This Place Is Empty and Dangerous Beauty are good as well, imo.

this place is empty is in my opinion an example of where if mick and keith had been working together better the song could have been great. the musical structure of it i like a lot, but the lyrics are terrible, almost like the 'placeholder' lyrics keith wrote to so many of the classics, that mick came in an re-wrote and sang.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: May 15, 2013 12:05

Laugh I Nearly Died is the best Stones song since Let It Loose. thumbs up

The only song on ABB I don't like is OH No Not You Again. Infamy, LIND and It Won't Take Long, among others, are excellent.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 15, 2013 14:02

JumpinJackOLantern
andrewt
I have the strangest feeling I've been in this thread before, like last week, and the week before that one.

Yes, but this one is going to grab Mick's attention. I doubt he has time to read but a few of the "eye-catchers."

Mick does not read this or any board. Maybe his guitar tech does or something but that's about it.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 15, 2013 15:41

andrewt
JumpinJackOLantern
andrewt

Mick does not read this or any board. Maybe his guitar tech does or something but that's about it.

don't break ol' jackie's heart, andy...have pity on us old folk....

Date: May 15, 2013 18:57

JumpinJackOLantern
Their version of Like A Rolling Stone is "killer".

i canNOT sit idly by and let this absurd comment pass without a retort. To wit: HORSESHIT!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 15, 2013 19:04

GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern

i canNOT sit idly by and let this absurd comment pass without a retort. To wit: HORSESHIT!

"killer" HORSESHIT...?

Date: May 15, 2013 19:07

andrewt
JumpinJackOLantern
andrewt

So what would you tell that "watchman" (guitar tech or something?) in regards to a new Stones album? Do you want one?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 15, 2013 19:07

You think Mick Jagger looks at this forum? Really? I would be totally shocked if he is even aware of its existence, much less wastes any time reading what people post here. Creative people don't waste their time reading bullshit on the internet.

Date: May 15, 2013 19:13

Rokyfan
You think Mick Jagger looks at this forum? Really? I would be totally shocked if he is even aware of its existence, much less wastes any time reading what people post here. Creative people don't waste their time reading bullshit on the internet.

hey! what about those of us who CREATE the bullshit in the first place?? i think you're forgetting about us....

Date: May 15, 2013 19:14

GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern

Poor Bob can barely "croak" these days. He should have turned his vocals over to Mick years ago. I love Dylan and would love to see him join the Stones as a song writer. The Stones could take any Dylan song and make it better. Like they did with Like A Rolling Stone. Check out The Bridges DVD. The proof is right there in living color.

Date: May 15, 2013 19:15

GRNRBITW
andrewt
JumpinJackOLantern
andrewt

don't break ol' jackie's heart, andy...have pity on us old folk....

Speak for yourself you old fart! You have 15 years on me, remember?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1819
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home