Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Heroes and Villians
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 2, 2005 20:38

The title of a Beach Boys song, but who are the three greatest Heroes and villians in Stonesland.

Mine are as follows:

Heroes:

1. Keith's blind angel in Toronto
2. Andrew Loog Oldham for his belief and management strategies.
3. Tie - Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters

Villians

1. Allen Klein
2. David Scheinderman (?) - the guy who reputedly set up thr Redlands bust
3. Jerry Garcia - For recommending The Hells Angels for Altamont security.

Re: Heroes and Villians
Posted by: mark ()
Date: March 2, 2005 22:42

No arguments Elmo but a couple of observations:

Hero's - being Canadian I actually put the weight of the heroin bust issue on the judge. There were politics involved surrounding Maggie Trudeau and a Canadian judge would have been looking for an out anyway to save political face (you can't come down hard on a person for one thing if there may be underlying political implications). I've always believed Keith would have been let off with a fine, the blind lady just gave the judge an opening for a 'win win' situation. Canadian law requires lawyers to inform clients of the implications of their charges and Keith would have been given the 'legal'hard line position....your looking at jail. I was confident at the time the judge would find the opening. Think about it, if the Canadian legal system was as ridged as the US in regards to this drug even a blind lady could not sway a judge. I can recall no other Canadian court case where a judge did not perform his job because of a plea from the public, heck he's a nice guy let him go. But it makes a great warm fuzzy feeling story.

Villans - GG and the HA's, did this actually hurt the Stones? It must have been a tough few scarry minutes to work yourself through as an entertainer, no doubt about that but it seems an integral part of the folk loure at this point. As morbid as it sounds and with all due respect it may have been a career booster.

Posted by: mark ()
Date: March 2, 2005 22:43

No arguments Elmo but a couple of observations:

Hero's - being Canadian I actually put the weight of the heroin bust issue on the judge. There were politics involved surrounding Maggie Trudeau and a Canadian judge would have been looking for an out anyway to save political face (you can't come down hard on a person for one thing if there may be underlying political implications). I've always believed Keith would have been let off with a fine, the blind lady just gave the judge an opening for a 'win win' situation. Canadian law requires lawyers to inform clients of the implications of their charges and Keith would have been given the 'legal'hard line position....your looking at jail. I was confident at the time the judge would find the opening. Think about it, if the Canadian legal system was as ridged as the US in regards to this drug even a blind lady could not sway a judge. I can recall no other Canadian court case where a judge did not perform his job because of a plea from the public, heck he's a nice guy let him go. But it makes a great warm fuzzy feeling story.

Villans - GG and the HA's, did this actually hurt the Stones? It must have been a tough few scarry minutes to work yourself through as an entertainer, no doubt about that but it seems an integral part of the folk loure at this point. As morbid as it sounds and with all due respect it may have been a career booster.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: March 3, 2005 02:15

And perhaps gave Keith a timely warning too.
Had he not cut back on the drug abuse thing
would he still be around today?

PS: Hooray Canada! We saved keith! ;-)

Posted by: MisterD ()
Date: March 3, 2005 02:21

Jerry Garcia wasn't solely responsibly for the Hells Angel debacle. As a matter of fact the Stones only have themselves to blame. It was their concert afterall, they could hire anyone they wanted. If anything, in my opinion, Garcia should always be held in high regard for his contribution to the history of American music. It's very sad that he died such a tragic death.

Date: March 3, 2005 20:22

Surely there are more candidates for these titles than the ones I thought of.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: March 3, 2005 20:43

Allen Klein was good for the band wasnt he?

Date: March 3, 2005 20:46

Ask Prince Rupert.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 3, 2005 20:46

HEROES

- Jimmy Miller, for obvious reasons.
- Giorgio Gomelsky, owner of the Crawdaddy Club in Richmond, where the Stones residency helped launch their career

VILLIANS

- Decca/London for all the hassle they've created (along with Klein), and some shoddy management of the Stones' catalog
- Costume designer TOA 1975: Those pajama outfits were 'orrible!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home