Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

If Clapton joined the Stones?
Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: May 12, 2013 16:53

I was just wondering how it would be if Clapton joined Rolling Stones instead of Ronnie Wood?
Do you Think would take a part of the songwriting?
Would he also have a own set like Keith?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 16:54 by IsakSun.

Re: If Clapton joined the Stones?
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 12, 2013 16:58

See what happened when Chuck jumped in the pool?
Eric swimming in would cause about the same sort of ripples...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:10

It would make a world of difference. Imagine a stone solid gutarist who nails every solo with ease. It would take loads of worry off from Jagger too.
Just watch Clapton on "Little Red Rooster" from Atlantic City, 1989. I do concur that Clapton is a boring solo artist though. But that is a different matter.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:15

It would never happen. Clapton is too much of a major performer to play second fiddle to Jagger. It was mooted after Taylor went but nothing came of it. It would never have worked. Eric wearing those Armani suits on stage in the eighites! He was also paranoid about Mick stealing his girlfriends.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:37

crumbling_mice
Eric wearing those Armani suits on stage in the eighites!

So would Rolling Stones, if they toured in the mid 80s. Or maybe something like what they're wearing on the DW cover

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 17:47 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:45

Had Clapton joined in 1969 0r 1974 he would have left soon after. The man was destined to be a solo artist.

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:48

His Majesty
Had Clapton joined in 1969 0r 1974 he would have left soon after. The man was destined to be a solo artist.

Exactly!

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: May 12, 2013 18:01

IsakSun
I was just wondering how it would be if Clapton joined Rolling Stones instead of Ronnie Wood?

Every song would be as interesting as a lenghty monologue about Jesus and his donkey - I would rather listen to German reggae band with David Hasselhoff on prozac singin lovesong duets with Sarah Palin. Dolphins in the sea would commit suicide. If Clapton would join The Stones - you might as well make Oprah the lead singer. That space alien in Spielberg's movie E.T had more sex appeal than Claptons music. Even at his best - Clapton's own set would be as boring as a trial to listen to and audience would have more fun at the dentist office. My old tennis shoes will last longer than Claptons career. I would rather pay more taxes than to hear Clapton with The Stones for free. And that's only the positive good thing about it.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 18:44 by seitan.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 12, 2013 18:04

let's find out. who's got the way-back machine this week?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 12, 2013 18:21

... OK OK - never mind! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 20:01 by with sssoul.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 12, 2013 18:22

It woulda made The Stones a very boring band...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 12, 2013 18:23

Stoneage
It would make a world of difference. Imagine a stone solid gutarist who nails every solo with ease.
I can, because you've just described Mick Taylor to a tee.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 12, 2013 22:34

IsakSun

Bringing Phil Collins as a producer? a total disaster.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 12, 2013 22:52

What if Michael McDonald joined the band, would they call themselves Rolling Doobies?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 12, 2013 23:02

crumbling_mice
It would never happen. Clapton is too much of a major performer to play second fiddle to Jagger. It was mooted after Taylor went but nothing came of it. It would never have worked. Eric wearing those Armani suits on stage in the eighites! He was also paranoid about Mick stealing his girlfriends.

While I totally agree, Isak wasn't saying "would he", but "imagine if". I think it would be a step more in the Taylor-direction. Certainly the solos would be way better than Woody's. Having said that, a Stones without Woody, for me (being born in '73) is bizarre.

Still, I can't see Clapton putting up with the Jagger/Richards theiving of songwriting credit for more than one album.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 12, 2013 23:26

IsakSun

Don't know how Clapton plays now...but I saw him at Jones Beach in the early 80s and that Clapton I think would overpower the Stones.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 12, 2013 23:30

GumbootCloggeroo
What if Michael McDonald joined the band, would they call themselves Rolling Doobies?

You're getting a lot of enjoyment making up these hypothetical names, huh? Two separate threads today: This one & this one.

Getting rather old. Like a tiresome court jester. Once is funny, twice is silly, a third time and we call you Corky.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 23:35 by MILKYWAY.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: May 12, 2013 23:39

The IORR elite would have hated him. For many years he had a beard. The IORR elite hate facial hair. That's why they hate Chuck.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 13, 2013 00:04

GumbootCloggeroo

Patrick Simmons instead of Michael would be better

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 13, 2013 00:09

No offense meant to anyone, but that would have been too many huge egos.
Good for everyone that EC is not in the band. Ronnie was/is the best choice IMHO.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: May 13, 2013 01:32

Why would want Clapton when we had Taylor? Geez.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 13, 2013 02:13

BlackHat
The IORR elite would have hated him. For many years he had a beard. The IORR elite hate facial hair. That's why they hate Chuck.

At least Eric doesn't smile all the time as if he's gotten high from inhaling his own flatulence.

Also, there was a thread on IORR a few months back dedicated to collecting photos of Mick with his facial hair.

But you have to admit, Keith's mustachioed Johnny Depp look a few years back was not the greatest idea. It made him look extinguished, rather than distinguished.

Mustache with dye.

Mustache in progress without dye.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1431
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home