Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Satisfaction - What's the Best Sounding Live Version from 1978?
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 12, 2013 00:05

Can anybody help?

I believe "Satisfaction" was played a couple of times on the 1978 tour.
Can anybody tell me the best sounding recording / best performance of this number from this tour?

Cheers.

Re: Satisfaction - What's the Best Sounding Live Version from 1978?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 12, 2013 00:11

Couldn't find much on youtube ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 00:12 by tatters.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 12, 2013 00:19

Boulder is the wildest one, but quality isn't that good

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 12, 2013 00:39

this song was a hoot in '78!

Date: May 12, 2013 00:45

ryanpow

They only played it maybe 10 times during the entire decade of the 1970s. In '78, if I remember correctly, it was played in the middle of the set, interrupting a long string of songs from Some Girls. It was weird hearing it so out of context like that, instead of being one of the warhorses coming down the home stretch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 00:46 by tatters.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 12, 2013 01:00

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Date: May 12, 2013 01:01

tatters
ryanpow

They only played it maybe 10 times during the entire decade of the 1970s. In '78, if I remember correctly, it was played in the middle of the set, interrupting a long string of songs from Some Girls. It was weird hearing it so out of context like that, instead of being one of the warhorses coming down the home stretch.

On the Oakland show it was the last number. I remember reading that on the Rocksoff setlist page. And you hear him at the end say "goodbye San Francisco!"

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 12, 2013 01:03

Real bad intros...Sorry guys, but i prefer (by far) the versions of all the so called "Vegas Years" (in addition the "Vegas era" theory does mean nothing to me...)

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 12, 2013 01:07

ryanpow
tatters
ryanpow

On the Oakland show it was the last number. I remember reading that on the Rocksoff setlist page. And you hear him at the end say "goodbye San Francisco!"

it's meant as a goodwill/feelgood gesture. everyone in oakland wishes they lived in san francisco. just like everyone in san antonio wishes they lived in austin.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: May 12, 2013 01:07

It was played four times. Philly, Chicago, Boulder and Oakland. It was the last song for the last three concerts. In Philly it was between the last Some Girls tune, Shattered, and Sweet Little Sixteen.

Date: May 12, 2013 01:08

Checked my JFK '78 bootleg (yes, I know it sucks). Satisfaction was played after the last song from Some Girls, right at the top of the stretch run.

Let It Rock
All Down The Line
Honkey Tonk Women
Star Star
When The Whip Comes Down
Miss You
Just My Imagination
Respectable
Beast Of Burden
Far Away Eyes
Love In Vain
Shattered
Satisfaction
Sweet Little Sixteen
Tumbling Dice
Happy
Brown Sugar
Jumpin Jack Flash

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 01:11 by tatters.

Date: May 12, 2013 01:17

GRNRBITW
ryanpow
tatters
ryanpow

it's meant as a goodwill/feelgood gesture. everyone in oakland wishes they lived in san francisco. just like everyone in san antonio wishes they lived in austin.

I wanna hear him say "...And good bye San Leandro, Hayward and Union City!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 12, 2013 05:19

I just listened to those two versions and I am sorry but it sounds a lot better now and anyone who thinks Jagger sounded good there you have your head up your you know what.

Date: May 12, 2013 05:24

The '78 version has a punk-inspired urgency that I like, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any decent recordings of it.

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: May 14, 2013 00:15

It was the encore in Chicago. 7/8/78

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 14, 2013 00:23

tatters
ryanpow

This must be what Keith was thinking when, in '94, during an MTV interview promo-ing the Voodoo Lounge tour, he said, "We're the guys who don't play Satisfaction on stage very often." I remember thinking then, "What's he talking about? They played it ever night in '81-82 and '89-90!"

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 14, 2013 00:41

None of them. It was 1978.

Date: May 14, 2013 01:16

Mel Belli
tatters
ryanpow

This must be what Keith was thinking when, in '94, during an MTV interview promo-ing the Voodoo Lounge tour, he said, "We're the guys who don't play Satisfaction on stage very often." I remember thinking then, "What's he talking about? They played it ever night in '81-82 and '89-90!"

Though many people probably assume it's their most often played song, it's been played nowhere near as many times as Jumpin Jack Flash.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 14, 2013 01:24

tatters
ryanpow

I made a quick check and count, and they played Satisfaction 17 times in 1971 (if they did it all shows, which I believe they did), about four times in 1972 (Detroit, 2 x Philly, 1 X NYC?), once at Knebworth in 1976 and five times (?) in 1978, which makes it about 27 times in total during the '70s.

Date: May 14, 2013 01:35

LieB
tatters
ryanpow

I made a quick check and count, and they played Satisfaction 17 times in 1971 (if they did it all shows, which I believe they did), about four times in 1972 (Detroit, 2 x Philly, 1 X NYC?), once at Knebworth in 1976 and five times (?) in 1978, which makes it about 27 times in total during the '70s.

Could be. I got the "maybe 10 times" from a post of Gazza's in this thread about which Stones songs have been played the most.

[www.iorr.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1804
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home