Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Worst Stones Train-wreck on Stage?
Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: June 16, 2013 03:10

ab
The joint Stones/New Barbarians version of Jumpin' Jack Flash from the late show of the Canadian Institute for the Blind benefits. Keef just can't seem to find the last note of the riff. Sounds like he broke a string, fell way out of tune, and tried to push on through anyway.

this show is full of train wreck moments - Star Star for example

Date: June 16, 2013 04:35

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Rocks Off Toronto June 6

[www.youtube.com]

MJ poor all the way through, but at 1:03 only Lisa and Bernard can save him.

He he, Mick was out there. It was kinda cool, though, because in a weird way the chorus fit there, while Lisa and Bernard were singing the verses grinning smiley

amazing that this was the same show...Worried About You. Absolutely fantastic:

This is incredible! thumbs up

No Mick, Keith or Ronnie-bashing for a week after this!

I can't quite put it in the 'speechless' category. It's Jagger who is phenomenal here - even Keith applauds him @ end; a rarity. And Ronnie finally has zeroed in on the Les Paul sound. It's funny when Jagger call;s for Ron @ solo, and can't find him. LOL
But other than that it is mainly a matter of everyone staying out of Jagger's way for the duration.
Jagger is something else. I was watching him in the JJF clip from Copacabana- whew!

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: June 16, 2013 06:52

RawIguanaCologne

...but this is really out of it.
In how many keys is THAT played??? smiling smiley

Cuz ah just lowwst mah key. That was messy, but not a mess. I hadn't seen/heard this yet. Not horrible. Mah key!

Re: Best Stones Train-wreck on Stage?
Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: June 17, 2013 04:42

keefriffhard4life
surprise no mention of several songs on the shine a light movie. several songs, mainly warhorses, have the worst jagger vocal i have ever heard.
AS TEARS GO BY WAS SURPRISINGLY GOOD.
SHE WAS HOT WAS ASS.

Date: June 17, 2013 07:10

BILLPERKS
keefriffhard4life
surprise no mention of several songs on the shine a light movie. several songs, mainly warhorses, have the worst jagger vocal i have ever heard.
AS TEARS GO BY WAS SURPRISINGLY GOOD.
SHE WAS HOT WAS ASS.

i actually like the shine a light movie, well the soundtrack, but a few songs are just very subpar and its odd most of them are war horses. "brown sugar" has a horrid vocal by jaggerand was otherwise great

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 23, 2013 19:02

gotta add this one that palerider22 found....

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-23 19:05 by sonomastone.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 25, 2013 13:32

Clearly a trainwreck as they miss the end. Yup. Exactly. That's my point.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 25, 2013 14:56

my definition of a train wreck is a song which sounds nothing like what is should do for an extended period of time.
Jagger mucks up his words constantly throughout a song.
Richards or Wood play solos in the wrong key that render that song unrecognisable for the most part.
Watts misses the beat completely for a big part of a song.

fumbled endings of songs are very common throughout every Stones era.

Date: June 25, 2013 15:24

Eleanor Rigby
my definition of a train wreck is a song which sounds nothing like what is should do for an extended period of time.
Richards or Wood play solos in the wrong key that render that song unrecognisable for the most part.

That's a very literal view, imo smiling smiley

For me, a train wreck can be a good version, although the song may fall apart in places.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-25 15:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 25, 2013 15:54

SWAYZ
Sway 6/12/13

Being at that show and trying to figure what the heck they were trying to play I have to agree....

Mike

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 26, 2013 11:46

Eleanor Rigby

I know and tried to make a point. Of course it isnt a train wreck. IMO a train wreck is like you said, Keith plays a solo in the wrong key or is just way off or lost. The Shes so cold train wreck is really rock history because they could have stopped and re started but Keith chose not to which is really cool. Makes them a real band.

Difference between SSC 1982 and Satisfaction or maybe HTW from 2007.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 26, 2013 12:32

To me, a train wreck is when A. Two trains collide, or B. When one train derails or hits a car or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-26 19:38 by Thrylan.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 26, 2013 14:37

fyp933
ab
The joint Stones/New Barbarians version of Jumpin' Jack Flash from the late show of the Canadian Institute for the Blind benefits. Keef just can't seem to find the last note of the riff. Sounds like he broke a string, fell way out of tune, and tried to push on through anyway.

A mess, of course, but charming. Better by far than the boring Vegas versions from 97 onwards.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 8, 2013 02:36

By popular acclaim, the intro to Start Me Up, Hyde Park, July 6, 2013

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: July 8, 2013 05:14

SMU Hyde Park. Worse than Chernobyl. Worse than the great Alaskan earthquake.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: July 8, 2013 05:23

That I saw, Sympathy in Ottawa in August 2005. What Charlie was hearing in his headset wasn't synchronizing with his drumming or something (or he wasn't hearing properly) and he stopped playing completely several times, and at one point left the stage! Don't know if the rest of the stadium crowd noticed it because the rest of the boys tried their best to keep the show going, but upfront where I was I was dumbstruck. Didn't know Charlie could get pissed like that.

From an IORR reviewer on the concert review pages:

Sympathy for the Devil featured some events that I'm not sure how to explain. Following the second chorus, Mick took a break where Keith would normally play the first solo. But just as soon as he started it, Keith left the stage behind Charlie. Then Charlie too also left! I had never seen that during the middle of a song before. Then Charlie first came back, and started tentatively to play again. Then he stopped. Just as we were beginning to look around at other fans, Keith returned. He looked like he was ready to play then, so the group of Ronnie, Keith and Darryl stood around in front of Charlie and played a long solo break before Mick finally stepped in and did the final verse. We will have to wait for an explanation of what occurred.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-08 05:27 by TimeIs.

Date: July 8, 2013 07:05

Shame on you recent posters! It has came to light that anything other than approval of Keith's "new" intro to SMU, is nothing but whining, and REAL Stones fans can't/ don't whine, and are rarely allowed to even think critically, or your fan card will be revoked, immediately.

Trashing Ron Wood at any time is not only tolerated, but encouraged!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 8, 2013 08:32

Thrylan
Shame on you recent posters! It has came to light that anything other than approval of Keith's "new" intro to SMU, is nothing but whining, and REAL Stones fans can't/ don't whine, and are rarely allowed to even think critically, or your fan card will be revoked, immediately.

Trashing Ron Wood at any time is not only tolerated, but encouraged!
You just hit the nail on the head.

The apologists will grasp at anything to excuse Keith's butchering of Start Me Up's opening riff:

- "His scarf got in the way and made him fret the wrong chord."
- "He couldn't hear himself. It was the sound crew that screwed up."

Or, when that fails, they'll fall back on this tired talking point:

"The Stones are SUPPOSED to be sloppy and ragged. If you want perfection go listen to Rush or Dream Theater!"

There's a HUGE difference between the gloriously sloppy, ragged performances of the '70s, and the sad butchering of a well-known song.

I certainly don't mind it when the Stones mess up onstage...hell, how could I be a fan if I did??...BUT messing up the opening to one of the most famous riffs in rock'n'roll RIGHT AT THE START OF A HUGE, HIGH-PROFILE GIG??

That's not cool. That's not rock'n'roll. That's just damned pitiful.

Date: July 8, 2013 08:49

Nailing a 2 chord riff, in a show opener, in front of 200,000 people, is kind of important.

My biggest fear, is what used to be skillfully/ slovenly has become more the latter. What baffles me, is how well he plays in spurts. I thought Bitch was pretty good. Not perfect, but the kind of imperfection I can deal with.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 8, 2013 09:36

Can we blame Blondie?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 8, 2013 12:54

NoCode0680
"She's So Cold", Leeds '82. Long before the official bootleg that video was on YouTube, but it disappeared about a year ago. You can hear the trainwreck of course, but the video made it better. Nobody in the band even considered stopping and doing a restart, on with the show! But they never really got back on track.

It's still on YouTube, a different clip where it follows Tumbling Dice. Someone just posted it on the Hyde Park July 6 thread.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2013 17:41

RobertJohnson
fyp933
ab

A mess, of course, but charming. Better by far than the boring Vegas versions from 97 onwards.

That's a good one. Does it sound to you like Jagger is almost laughing as he starts singing?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 15, 2015 20:31

GS from Orlando, first big trainwreck in a while, no ? Just when Keith is finally getting back to full power on GS (in 2012 and 2013 his parts were anemic and often flubbed), it's Mick who goes off the rails by singning pretty much the whole song off-key ! HTF could that happen, couldn't anyone tell him in his IEM ? Also at 5'25" there is an odd breakdown in the playing...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 22:25 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: June 15, 2015 20:45

This one's always been my favorite. Intro messed up so bad they had to start over....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 20:46 by josepi.

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: June 15, 2015 21:06

the second show from 1999 they did the same thing.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: June 15, 2015 21:18

"Some Girls" from Atlanta '15 was a rare Mick train wreck. The teleprompter must have been on the fritz and he couldn't find the key to save his life until Lisa and Bernard came in.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 15, 2015 21:50

Chuck, Darryl, Ronnie, Bernard and Lisa all sit in the engineer's car these days to prevent any train wrecks. The only time you get a glimpse of them is when Keith is all alone on the intros.

I think the sloppiest performances happened when both Keith and Ronnie were hitting the bottle a bit too much and now that Ronnie is sober and Keith appears to have cut way back, it rarely seems to happen's any more.

I've got to hand it to Ronnie, he really seems to be the musical foundation these days. His playing isn't really stand out, per se, but if you listen closely, his consistency, quality and tone are a huge part of what keeps the train on track in 2015.

peace

Posted by: M4rkRNR ()
Date: June 16, 2015 02:05

[www.youtube.com]

At Pinkpop last year, when they played gimme shelter, they forgot the last part when mick sings:
I tell you love, sister, it's just a kiss away
It's just a kiss away

Posted by: taz22 ()
Date: June 16, 2015 02:42

SFTD - Ottawa 2005 when Charlie gets up and walks away from his drum kit for about a minute while keith goes off the stage and yells....what the f is going to the stage hands. Total mess!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 16, 2015 03:29

taz22
SFTD - Ottawa 2005 when Charlie gets up and walks away from his drum kit for about a minute while keith goes off the stage and yells....what the f is going to the stage hands. Total mess!

that sounds pretty awesome - is there a youtube of it?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1201
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home