Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Which Stone had or has the best slide guitar playing skills?
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: May 10, 2013 02:10

tough call... taylor by ronnie's nose

Re: Which Stone had or has the best slide guitar playing skills?
Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 10, 2013 02:11

Had or has- which one?

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 10, 2013 02:24

I say Ronnie...

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: May 10, 2013 02:24

Taylor, by a long shot. Ronnie's too clumsy. Brian's too limited and fret toutching. Taylor's slide playing really's elegant!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 10, 2013 02:32

Did Keith ever play slide on a recording? I can't think of any.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 10, 2013 02:37

triceratops

I believe that Keith played all of the slide parts on the "Let It Bleed" album. And my choice for best slide player, with all due respect to Ronnie, is Taylor.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 10, 2013 02:38

Not one person for Brian?

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 10, 2013 02:50

Ronnie - love his slide. smoking smiley

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 10, 2013 03:04

"Skills"? Taylor, by far. I love Ronnie's slide playing and sometimes prefer his loose slide style to Taylor's, but he just isn't as skilled. Keith, while not really good at it, can make it work. Besides the Let it Bleed stuff, Keith's slide makes Jigsaw Puzzle work, and Taylor and Jones probably couldn't have done it that way. Even Jagger's slide on BOMH is good in its own way. The lick is easy to play, but I don't think Keith's fingers are limber enough to do that vibrato cleanly. Taylor could probably do it cleanly with some effort, but it's not in his nature to do that Brian Jones-type finger wiggle.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 10, 2013 03:39

taylor...as good as anyone who ever lived

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 10, 2013 04:40

Mick Jagger.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: May 10, 2013 04:51

Good question. They are all pretty good on slide from what I've seen.

Ronnie is the most versatile, but too sloppy. He plays like he never practices being precise. Mostly when he plays slide, he emulates Mick Taylor's parts. His best slide is his steel guitar work like on Far Away Eyes.

Keith is good on slide like how he played on Happy.

Brian Jones and Mick Taylor: both great slide players.

Mick Jagger is pretty good too. He doesn't get to display the full depth of his talent. He's a decent guitarist.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 10, 2013 05:30

Brian and Ronnie are about even, then Mick T, then Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-10 05:32 by stonehearted.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 10, 2013 05:35

Really depends on what style you like. Nobody can top Taylor single-note slide leads. He can do it in standard tuning! This is kind of his trademark. Ronnie has always been a good slide player, back to his Faces days. Keith came up with a very distinct sound on Let It Bleed, but we haven't seen alot of it since (Ventilator Blues is a good one though).

Posted by: marksg ()
Date: May 10, 2013 05:36

Hands Down Mick Taylor. Worst thing that ever happened to the Stones when he left

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 10, 2013 05:42

Wow, apples and oranges really. Each is good in their own right and each is instantly recognizeable from just hearing a few notes. What it comes down to for me is a matter of personal preference. Mick Taylor phrases so beautifully and has great intonation. Ronnie has great feel and grit but in the end I prefer Mick's style over Ronnies, with all due respect to Mr. Wood...

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 10, 2013 05:52

Bonnie Raitt.

Date: May 10, 2013 06:51

is this even a serious question?

duh

MT by a landslide

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: May 10, 2013 12:22

How can you say who's better between Ronnie and Mick? Completely different styles. First off Taylor rarely, if ever plays slide in open tuning so that requires a more precise execution as you generally stick to playing single strings. Where as Ronnie always plays slide in open G or D/E which probably lends itself to his generally looser style anyway.

They're both fantastic players IMO. Equally exciting and unique in their own ways. Brian obviously deserves his props simply for being one of the first Brits to play slide at all - let alone with any skill. Little Red Rooster and I Wanna be your Man anyone?

Keith deserves a mention for being the only stone, as far as I know, to play slide on a 12 string (Midnight Rambler & You gotta move).

Date: May 10, 2013 12:38

triceratops

Jig Saw Puzzle
Midnight Rambler
You Got The Silver
Love In Vain
Monkey Man
Let It Bleed
You Gotta Move
Happy
Might As Well Get Juiced

I think there are some more as well...

Date: May 10, 2013 12:42

Roll73
How can you say who's better between Ronnie and Mick? Completely different styles. First off Taylor rarely, if ever plays slide in open tuning so that requires a more precise execution as you generally stick to playing single strings. Where as Ronnie always plays slide in open G or D/E which probably lends itself to his generally looser style anyway.

They're both fantastic players IMO. Equally exciting and unique in their own ways. Brian obviously deserves his props simply for being one of the first Brits to play slide at all - let alone with any skill. Little Red Rooster and I Wanna be your Man anyone?

Keith deserves a mention for being the only stone, as far as I know, to play slide on a 12 string (Midnight Rambler & You gotta move).

That is not correct. Taylor plays LIV (Ya Yas), Stop Breakin' Down and others in open G, whereas Ronnie plays a lot of stuff in standard tuning (Hey Negrita, It Must Be Hell and others).

Posted by: King Bee ()
Date: May 10, 2013 12:42

1.Taylor
2.Jones
3.Wood
4.Richards
5.Jagger

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: May 10, 2013 12:48

DandelionPowderman
Roll73

That is not correct. Taylor plays LIV (Ya Yas), Stop Breakin' Down and others in open G, whereas Ronnie plays a lot of stuff in standard tuning (Hey Negrita, It Must Be Hell and others).

I think you're being a bit pedantic. I was just highlighting that generally speaking Taylor & Wood have a very different style which is highlighted by the fact that 'most' of the time they stick to standard vs open tuning when playing slide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-10 12:51 by Roll73.

Date: May 10, 2013 12:53

Roll73
DandelionPowderman
Roll73

I think you're being a bit pedantic.

Why? "always plays in open tuning" is simply not correct. The same goes for "if ever" Taylor has played in open tuning.

There are people who wants to learn stuff on this board, and if one can contribute to that, it's a good thing, imo. This is a topic where I have some competence - didn't mean to be a jerk here.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 10, 2013 12:56

Taylor by a landslide. Obviously.

Date: May 10, 2013 12:59

Two different styles. Both Taylor and Ronnie are great, imo.

Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: May 10, 2013 14:49

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 10, 2013 14:51

Charlie... but they won't let play him.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 10, 2013 14:54

IsakSun

Very interesting, thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2203
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home