Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith Richards: "I want people to get into Stones' gigs without starving their babies"
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 9, 2013 12:55

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-09 22:42 by bv.

Re: Keith Richards: "I want people to get into Stones' gigs without starving their babies".
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 9, 2013 13:02

Keith Richards: "Duh, I don't know. I just want to play music and I'm not so good with numbers. I thought what we landed on was fair. I give my father Mick the phone when they start talking about money and I go grab a juice box."

Come on Keith. I love ya buddy, but don't play completely stupid. The way he phrases it its like he either doesn't get involved at all with the financial aspect of the tour and would be willing to take anything, or he genuinely thinks he can't do a thing when the offers they get are beyond imaginable. He just wants to get out there with the instruments and play, man! They can set whatever price they want, they choose to make it huge. Thats fine. You'll scam us but this time it really looks like they're hanging it up soon. But don't go out of your way to pretend like you have no idea whats going on. Thats where it gets pretty disrespectful.

Re: Keith Richards: "I want people to get into Stones' gigs without starving their babies".
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 9, 2013 13:12

"But, um, it's the price of the market"

They're obviously being proven wrong, night after night... Europe (if they ever tour there later this year) will logically get cheaper tix.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 9, 2013 13:22

Weak as hell quote Keith. Action speaks louder than words. Take a leaf out of Springsteen's book and just lower those ticket prices. In England he's charging around £60 to get into his outdoor shows.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 9, 2013 13:47

Silver Dagger
Weak as hell quote Keith. Action speaks louder than words. Take a leaf out of Springsteen's book and just lower those ticket prices. In England he's charging around £60 to get into his outdoor shows.

...And in England the Stones charged around 95 £ for their two 60.000 max.cap. gigs...

Not thàt exuberant, I'd say.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 9, 2013 13:49

Talk is cheap indeed. And bullshit costs nothing.

Does anyone here actually believes him?

- Doxa

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 9, 2013 13:54

Boooring

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 9, 2013 14:07

RoughJusticeOnYa
Silver Dagger

...And in England the Stones charged around 95 £ for their two 60.000 max.cap. gigs...

Not thàt exuberant, I'd say.

That extra £35 is a lot to some people. Plus it sets a new precedent for these type of rock and roll shows in the UK.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 9, 2013 14:16

Starving their babies? How old does he think the average Stones fan is anyway? I'm 53. My "babies" are 29 and 26.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-09 16:14 by tatters.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: May 9, 2013 14:18

I think it makes sense.

You fly in private jets, stay in 5* hotels, have villas all over the planet, have 9-digit figures in your bank account... when you live this type of life, you're not really interested in figuring out if tickets should be sold for $120 or $135, Keith Richards doesn't know what $100 or $1000 are. I know someone who is very wealthy although certainly far from Keith, when the guy decided to join some of us at a sport event where the fee would be $50, he came with a couple of thousands because he seriously thought that would be the kind of prices for an average sporting event...

Posted by: greenriver ()
Date: May 9, 2013 14:41

If I remember well, in the barbara charonne's book during his time in Toronto 77, he bought some chocolate in a supermarket for his son, and giving an 100 hundred dollar bank note asked if it was enough to pay that. Something like that I think. He don't live in the same world as we. He was rich very young. A recurrent question is to ask to a politician the price of the bread, the answer is confused smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 9, 2013 15:54

greenriver
If I remember well, in the barbara charonne's book during his time in Toronto 77, he bought some chocolate in a supermarket for his son, and giving an 100 hundred dollar bank note asked if it was enough to pay that. Something like that I think. He don't live in the same world as we. He was rich very young. A recurrent question is to ask to a politician the price of the bread, the answer is confused smiley

Think it was doughnuts, Marlon wanted one so Keith bought one of every flavour!

I 'm kind of half and half on Keith with this. I genuinely believe he will have very little to do with the money side of it apart from maybe initial negotiations where his people agree to a figure. But, on the other hand, he isn't stupid and will have heard that there has been something of an outcry from all the American fans and is in an influential position to make things happen. I hate to aportion blame but this all has Jagger written all over it. He is a man with a shrewd financial background and never one to miss an opportunity to make money. Thankfully, it would seem, things are changing...glad I'm going to see them for free at Glastonbury! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: May 9, 2013 16:29

I believe american fans have been unintentionally used like "test animals", sort of guinea pigs of r'n'r'.
if there will we a serious european leg, ticket prices will be lower.

Date: May 9, 2013 16:35

The Stones have had many "high rollers" in their fan base throughout the years. As time marches on there are less and less of them due to Father Time. We are seeing it more on this tour than ever. At some point people grow old and either lose interest or just don't have the energy to travel or attend concerts anymore. Their fan base is in transition, ever evolving. The good news is that they still seem to attract new fans, but probably not as many "high rollers" as with previous generations of Stones fans. It's amazing they can still fill arenas. The future (if there is one) will be clubs and theaters.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 9, 2013 16:48

Doxa

- Doxa

Not for a second. Keith is 100% in on the money part of it.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 9, 2013 17:13

"....I would like people to get in, to be able to afford to get in, without sort of starving their babies..."

Really don't think you need to worry about that one, Keith, for a number of reasons.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 9, 2013 17:23

This board gives Keith too much credit...
The band truly became "Mick Jagger & his Rolling Stones" 10 years ago.

You can tell from the pace of the show, the lack of danger, the amount of people on stage and the karaoke versions of old Stones hits that Keith has little to do with the plan anymore.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 9, 2013 17:54

Once again, Doxa says it all.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 9, 2013 17:58

stonesrule
Once again, Doxa says it all.

then can the rest of us go home now?

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: May 9, 2013 18:01

andrewt
Doxa

- Doxa

Not for a second. Keith is 100% in on the money part of it.

Actually - I dont think Keith really gives a shit.

I dont think he's involved at the biz side of things - they got lawyers, managers, and other helping hands - Keith even has his personal manager Jane Rose to take care of Keith's needs. When you have someone like Jane Rose taking care of boring meetings - do you really think that some ex-junkie drunk is gonna get up from his fat ass to talk biz.

I really dont think Keith gives a shit -in fact, I'm not even suprised if the only reason he said that bullshit quote is coz, he has no damn idea what people are talking about. - Expensive tickets - what - I dont think Keith really gives a damn where the money comes - as long as he gets it.

Date: May 9, 2013 18:05

andrea66
I believe american fans have been unintentionally used like "test animals", sort of guinea pigs of r'n'r'.
if there will be a serious european leg, ticket prices will be lower.

My thoughts too... Plus in Europe GA is the rule so the "600$ for good seats 150$ in the nosebleeds won't work.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 9, 2013 18:50

Very insincere! Also a lie, they ALL know the deal with ticket prices. It makes me sick really.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 9, 2013 18:52

Keith lives in his own world...and has for a very long time.
Remember the December meeting where HE was going to pull it all together.
Thanks for the ticket prices Keith.

Keith is a good guy but few around him ever disagree with him. He and Jane Rose need to have a serious talk.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 9, 2013 19:16

mickschix
Very insincere! Also a lie, they ALL know the deal with ticket prices. It makes me sick really.

Perhaps you should go lie down?

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: May 9, 2013 19:33

This lines up with other recent quotes where he has seemed to be in the dark about the deals the band makes or even when or how many shows are involved. His "I don't really know" line sounds to me like he never expected to be asked this question, and was kind of blindsided by it.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: May 9, 2013 19:57

He's talking about my kitty cats. I've been bitching about the cost of their upkeep a little too much...

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 9, 2013 20:00

Keith is full of shit and insincere. Witness the three guitar bullshit!

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 9, 2013 20:06

donvis
Keith is full of shit and insincere. Witness the three guitar bullshit!

what? that three-guitar onslaught during Miss You doesn't count??

Re: .
Date: May 9, 2013 20:08

What the hell happened to the title of this thread? eye popping smiley

Re: .
Posted by: Tonyz ()
Date: May 9, 2013 20:09

kowalski

!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1981
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home