Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Revisiting Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 26, 2005 00:59

What's the first album one would present to a new Stones fan, or someone you're trying to convert? I'd start with this one, a quantum leap in the presentation of live rock n'roll at the close of the 60s. While it lacks the raw energy of some of the later boots, it does capture a moment in the metamorphosis of the earlier "screaming teen" pop idols into full-fledged rock stars. So many classic moments are here: the Taylor lead in "Love In Vain", the interplay in "Sympathy", the rock theater centerpiece that "Midnight Rambler" was developing into, and of course, Keith's Berryesque chordal leads that lead many of us to seek out the originals.

This is arguably the best live album the band ever released officially, as the timing and selection of material for later releases were nearly always surpassed by the best bootleg releases. Ironically, everyone knows the background legend of "Ya-Ya's". Allegedly it was released to counter the success of "Live'r Than You'll Ever Be".

Be that as it may, it is one of the essentials for a beginner's collection.

Re: Revisiting Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Posted by: terry ()
Date: February 26, 2005 01:32

i just love this album...tracks like little queenie is the stones at there best i could talk about this track alnight...it just struts along with jaggers sneering vocals and keefs guitar playing..its the stones at there bucanering best..im going to have to play it now...hope they play this song on the new tour.

Posted by: rob ()
Date: February 26, 2005 01:45

Posted by: johang ()
Date: February 26, 2005 03:12

And the way Keith plays throughout the concert! What happend to him next? I first became a fan when I hear Stray Cat from this album. How about the bootlegs are they as good?

Date: February 26, 2005 03:47

Arguably, Ya-Ya's set the template for the band for the rest of its career, with the addition of horns, keyboards and additional vocalists in successive years. I see this as a logical progression, giving live expression to their ever-expanding and progressive catalog of material.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: February 26, 2005 06:32

Lester Bangs (RIP) said that this was the best Stones album, period. It's hard to disagree. The Keith licks in Little Queenie are all you really have to know about rock n roll

karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 26, 2005 07:37

Get Yer Ya Ya's Out! is undoubtedly a great live album and definitely the very best the Stones have released officially.
I actually believe it's the only official live album that really reflects the Stones at ther best. The earlier album Got Live If You Want It is brimming with energy but is technically poor and the later albums are mediocre for a group with the Stones reputation.
Sympathy For The Devil has always stood out for me as the centrepiece of the album. Those dual guitar solos from Richards and Taylor are priceless.It's great when the Stones can release this version within a couple of years of the studio version and it can sound so different - the same with Stray Cat Blues.
Jumpin Jack Flash is also great - i think in this period they played it better than in 72-73 although i do prefer the version in the Gimmie Shelter film with that exceptional Taylor solo - i don't know why they cut that bit out.
The album's worthy of the Stones reputation that's for sure. I know there's been some rivalry between Stones fans and Who fans as to which is the best live album - this or Live At Leeds. While The Who have aways been far more dynamic in approach it's the Stones sexy, funky sound that always does it for me.
Like Live At Leeds though it would be great if an expanded version of the album was released particuarly one including that killer version of Satisfaction preferably with Taylor's extended guitar solo kept in.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 26, 2005 09:14

I think the first album to present to a new Stones fan would be either 40 Licks or Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 26, 2005 09:27

There's an element of truth in the staement concerning Hot Rocks or Forty Licks -at least with those albums you get a flavour of the different aspects of the Stones music. As great as Get Yer Ya Ya's is it only represents the Stones live sound in 1969.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 26, 2005 22:52

Ya Yas' was my first Rolling Stones album. It set the tone and the pace for all of the others. The more an album sounded like Ya Yas, the better I liked it. The hard edged guitar sound was never really to be repeated again. By the time of Some Girls...the guitar sound had muddied into somewhat of a mess. I'm not just knocking Ronnie Wood, because the guitars area mess on Exile as well. I love VL so much because it harkens back to the glorious days of Ya Yas and Sticky Fingers....at least in the guitar department.

Date: February 26, 2005 23:06

Shawn20 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ya Yas' was my first Rolling Stones album. It set
> the tone and the pace for all of the others. The
> more an album sounded like Ya Yas, the better I
> liked it. The hard edged guitar sound was never
> really to be repeated again. By the time of Some
> Girls...the guitar sound had muddied into somewhat
> of a mess. I'm not just knocking Ronnie Wood,
> because the guitars area mess on Exile as well. I
> love VL so much because it harkens back to the
> glorious days of Ya Yas and Sticky Fingers....at
> least in the guitar department.

I agree with you, Shawn20. I love VL for that reason--the guitars are loud and distorted in the classic style, and I still love to crank up "I Go Wild" and "Sparks Will Fly", amongst others. These guys melded hard rock with a swing that no one can duplicate--it is both heavy and fun-loving, not self-important metal overkill like so many of the following generation's bands.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: February 27, 2005 06:33

Having read this topic, I too listened to Ya Ya's again, and I must say I prefer the version of Midnight Rambler here, more than any other. I like it because it was slow and bluesy, unlike the fast, and at times draining, versions heard later on. Not that I dont appreciate those later versions, I just prefer the Ya Ya's version better.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: February 27, 2005 07:19

Why wasn't Satisfaction included on this album??

Esky

I respect women who can suck golf balls through a garden hose....

Posted by: jigsawpuzzle ()
Date: February 27, 2005 19:30

Ya Ya's

My first album, my first CD. Says it all.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 28, 2005 03:10

Ya Ya's is "The" live Stones album,
overdubs and edits notwithstanding!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home